Increased taxes & fees?

Fisherwoman

A friend booked the 7 day Alaska Millennium Aug 15 cruise on Feb 1/14. Today we noticed the pricing in the cabins was reduced slightly. When we checked the taxes and fees have gone from $148.00 to $219.00! Is this an increase or is Celebrity playing games with pricing????:mad:

Did you book in US or Canadian dollars? If you do not book in US$, taxes and fees may fluctuate with currency fluctuations. In the UK, we can hit this problem when making changes to a booking - e.g. adding flights or hotels. The system then picks up the latest taxes and fees. It takes manual intervention to get the taxes, fees AND gratuities back into line. However, I am not sure what the position is for a price decease. You may have to accept the current taxes, fees and gratuities. I am not sure.

Did you book in US or Canadian dollars? If you do not book in US$, taxes and fees may fluctuate with currency fluctuations. In the UK, we can hit this problem when making changes to a booking - e.g. adding flights or hotels. The system then picks up the latest taxes and fees. It takes manual intervention to get the taxes, fees AND gratuities back into line. However, I am not sure what the position is for a price decease. You may have to accept the current taxes, fees and gratuities. I am not sure.

It was booked in CAD $ and the Canadian dollar has decreased less than 10%. I went in and made a new reservation and it clearly shows the increase in taxes and the decrease in cruise price.

We won't ask for a price adjustment as the tax increase wipes out any savings.

Edited by Fisherwoman

I don't think that Celebrity plays with the taxes and port fees to make a profit. On our last cruise after we were home we seen a refund on our credit card from Celebrity for a refund of $24.86 for ports fees or taxes.

On other cruises we were also given refunds for the same. Celebrity could have very easily kept that money and we would have never known that there was a refund.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

It was booked in CAD $ and the Canadian dollar has decreased less than 10%. I went in and made a new reservation and it clearly shows the increase in taxes and the decrease in cruise price.

We won't ask for a price adjustment as the tax increase wipes out any savings.

The last 2 cruises we have been on we were given a price credit adjustment onboard both said for tax adjustment, I think they set a higher rate then it can change when the cruise actually takes place which is fine by us. It was around $10.38 each but we happily accepted.

I don't think that Celebrity plays with the taxes and port fees to make a profit. On our last cruise after we were home we seen a refund on our credit card from Celebrity for a refund of $24.86 for ports fees or taxes.

On other cruises we were also given refunds for the same. Celebrity could have very easily kept that money and we would have never known that there was a refund.

🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This is a $71.00 price increase in two months. It seems a little fishy to me. If there were port fees or taxes of this magnitude don't you think we would know about it! If it was a few dollars I wouldn't have cared but this is excessive. And exactly what are fees????

And exactly what are fees????

Mainly port fees but can include items like the fees to pass through the Panama and Suez Canals, where appropriate. I am not sure if there are any special fees for Alaska but I suppose that there could be some sort of environmental charge.

These fees are beyond Celebrity's or any line's control. All they can do is refund the difference if they fall.You are talking about moneys these ports get, including Alaska, because that is their main source of income.

This is a $71.00 price increase in two months. It seems a little fishy to me. If there were port fees or taxes of this magnitude don't you think we would know about it! If it was a few dollars I wouldn't have cared but this is excessive. And exactly what are fees????

Yes I have seen it many times taxes & fees can change, we have booked a cruise & taxes etc have been one amount then friends have decided to join us & theirs has been more or less. That is something that is out of Celebrity's control.

A friend booked the 7 day Alaska Millennium Aug 15 cruise on Feb 1/14. Today we noticed the pricing in the cabins was reduced slightly. When we checked the taxes and fees have gone from $148.00 to $219.00! Is this an increase or is Celebrity playing games with pricing????:mad:

Yes, it's obviously a huge conspiracy by greedy Celebrity to steal as much money from you as possible. It could NEVER be something out of their control. :rolleyes:

Edited by SantaFeFan