Airfare just dropped can you get a reduction??

We purchased our own air about 2 months ago on Delta...direct flight to Orlando and I just went to see about the prices and they had dropped almost 100 per person.....do airlines offer price reductions like the cruise lines??? I have never had this happen but if it's allowed I'd like the reduction.....the tickets we have are nonrefundable so we can't cancel and rebook.......

Just curious...normally airfare goes up......

Thanks

This happened a couple months ago tickets we had on Northwest. They charged a 25.00 fee and issued us a travel voucher for the difference, good toward future flights. They wouldn't issue a refund or credit the visa we used to buy the tickets. Oh well, better than nothing:)

American and Southwest both issue vouchers (no fee) for the difference.

Last year my husband and I both received $75 vouchers from American when the price dropped on our tickets to San Juan.

We had to call American when we saw the price drop. They sent the vouchers within 10 days and we used them on a future flight.

Other airlines, won't do a thing for you, so you would have to check with Delta, but it is one of the reasons we fly American or Southwest whenever we can.

Donna

Other airlines, won't do a thing for you, so you would have to check with Delta, but it is one of the reasons we fly American or Southwest whenever we can.[/b]

Donna

United has issued us vouchers before. America West has allowed me to completely cancel a reservation and keep what I paid as a credit to use for future travel. Both instances were without penalty but, they were over 2 years ago. Rules change so you always have to call and ask but, other airlines sometimes will do something for you, not just AA and SWA's.

Delta is having income issues right now and they have done things in the past that have been detrimental to their FF program. I have never had this come up with them but my expectations would not be extremely high. Still, I'd call and ask.

I also noticed that the tickets I booked for my parents two weeks, ago have dropped $75 pp (this after watching the fare rise for over three months before finally deciding we had better book before they got too high. :mad: )

The tickets are with USAir. I was told on this board that USAir will issue a voucher for the difference in price. I emailed USAir on Sunday and have yet to hear back from them. I cannot figure out who to call if I don't hear back by email.

I noticed yesterday our airfare had dropped so I immediately called American. I was told that for a $50.00 fee per ticket they could issue a refund. Our airfare had only dropped $35 a ticket so it wouldn't have been worth it for us. :(

If anyone has had any recent experience with American getting a voucher without a fee please let me know. Thanks.

I just had this come up yesterday. Checked our flights and they were $54.00 cheaper per person than when we booked. Called Delta just to see (figure it doesn't hurt to ask). For $50.00 fee for each of us we could get the refund which would leave us with about $3.00 and some odd change credit. Not worth the time or effort. Now if it goes down another $100.00 it would be worth it.

If I had not booked our flights the prices would have either gone up or there would have been no flights available. That is my luck. I am too chicken to hold out afraid not to get what we want. I figured the prices would go up which they seem to have been doing. Oh well.

Just to mention they were VERY NICE at Delta. (I like to mention good things cause lots of people like to complain about every little thing!)

Guest cruzr44

I also recently had this happen. I was watching prices to San Juan for a month which seemed to be going up so I booked. Two weeks ago I checked just for the heck of it and they went down $87 each. When I booked (over the phone) I asked what they would do if the price dropped and the woman told me there would be a $100 fee. I decided to write a nice note via Email and got a quick reply that my voucher for $174 would be arriving under separate cover. It arrived today with no service fee deducted. I was happy. Now, where can I go next.....

I also recently had this happen. I was watching prices to San Juan for a month which seemed to be going up so I booked. Two weeks ago I checked just for the heck of it and they went down $87 each. When I booked (over the phone) I asked what they would do if the price dropped and the woman told me there would be a $100 fee. I decided to write a nice note via Email and got a quick reply that my voucher for $174 would be arriving under separate cover. It arrived today with no service fee deducted. I was happy. Now, where can I go next.....

So there is another approach to getting a refund? Anyone else ever try emailing an airline? Any helpful tips on what to say other than the fact that it is legalized gambling the way they change the price of airfare?

American has a new policy about vouchers when the price drops. Now, there is a $100 fee per ticket! I'd say that pretty much effectively puts a stop to vouchers. How many times do you think a ticket price is going to drop more than $100? I've gotten many vouchers for credit over the past several years from AA. Guess I should be glad they did this for so many years! I was always amazed that they offered the vouchers in the first place.

I noticed yesterday our airfare had dropped so I immediately called American. I was told that for a $50.00 fee per ticket they could issue a refund. Our airfare had only dropped $35 a ticket so it wouldn't have been worth it for us. :(

If anyone has had any recent experience with American getting a voucher without a fee please let me know. Thanks.

My experience was for our cruise on the Voyager so some time ago.

Dawna

What airline? does anyone have any experience with Continental? My price for September to Ft. Lauderdale just dropped $60.00.

Guest cruzr44
What airline? does anyone have any experience with Continental? My price for September to Ft. Lauderdale just dropped $60.00.

American Airlines. My son got a voucher from Continental, but his was not a price drop, he had to cancel. He was able to re-book but there was a $100 fee.

I believe my sister just got a refund back to her CC from American. No fees. (She only did this a couple of days ago so hasn't seen the actual credit back yet - i hope there wasn't a misinterpretation there).

Also, this was NOT one of the full price fares either, it is for a trip in September.

This must be a recent thing on American as I have never paid a fee for my vouchers. I am a frequent flier on American - does that make a difference?

My voucher was issued to me earlier this year and I used it for an April flight.

I would call back and talk to someone else. My friend books alot of travel for her company and she has made no mention to me of American charging a fee for vouchers.

When did this policy take effect?

Donna

We purchased our own air about 2 months ago on Delta...direct flight to Orlando and I just went to see about the prices and they had dropped almost 100 per person.....do airlines offer price reductions like the cruise lines??? I have never had this happen but if it's allowed I'd like the reduction.....the tickets we have are nonrefundable so we can't cancel and rebook.......

Just curious...normally airfare goes up......

Thanks

HA! you must be kidding! Many times airlines reduce prices because the plane is empty. They'd rather sell tickets at reduced fare rather than not sell a ticket at all. There are a ton of different prices for seats---the guy next to you could be paying half what you paid, or three times what you paid. :eek:

HA! you must be kidding! Many times airlines reduce prices because the plane is empty. They'd rather sell tickets at reduced fare rather than not sell a ticket at all. There are a ton of different prices for seats---the guy next to you could be paying half what you paid, or three times what you paid. :eek:

No....actually I wasn't kidding.......I went and checked the availability of seats and the plane is over half full.....just because someone else hasn't noticed the price drop and hasn't requested it doesn't mean that I can't......this is Delta's policy taken directly from their FAQ's about reservations:

If I have purchased a ticket and a new fare is introduced, can I obtain a credit?

Yes, in many cases you may obtain a credit voucher (non-refundable tickets) or refund (refundable tickets) at any Delta airport ticket counter, City Ticket Office location, or over the phone (e>tickets only) for the difference in fare. A fee will apply for non-refundable tickets.

When we introduce new fares or reduce a current fare in a particular market, you may change a ticket to the new fare if:

• The change is made prior to departure
  • You do not change the flight, date, origin, destination or stopover points
  • Reservations are confirmed in the appropriate class of service
  • All fare restrictions are met
  • The lower fare is not a special delta.com only fare

Any applicable penalties are retroactive to the new fare ticket.

I also noticed that the tickets I booked for my parents two weeks, ago have dropped $75 pp (this after watching the fare rise for over three months before finally deciding we had better book before they got too high. :mad: )

The tickets are with USAir. I was told on this board that USAir will issue a voucher for the difference in price. I emailed USAir on Sunday and have yet to hear back from them. I cannot figure out who to call if I don't hear back by email.

I'd try calling them. Here's the site that lists phone numbers for USAir:

USAir Phone Numbers

HTH

Archived