question about clearing customs when flying from Canada to US

indy71

I am considering a New England cruise, which ends in Quebec City. I have found a flight home which goes from Montreal through Atlanta to Tucson. I am a US citizen. My question is: do I have to allow time to clear customs in Atlanta. The Delta flight has a one hour and 10 minute connection time. I'm thinking that if I have to clear customs that might not be enough time. On the other hand, would Delta have this itinerary available if it wasn't possible to make the connection. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks, Karen

You will pre-clear US Customs and Immigration in Montreal. Time needed in ATL would only be for transferring from gate to gate.

Speaks the truth. Your flight will arrive like you're coming from, say, Spokane or Buffalo - no immigration, no customs. And those are two different things - immigration checks you and your papers, customs checks what you're bringing in to the country. Though in Montreal it's all pretty much lumped in to one.

I've always had bad luck with Montreal though, and I get there a few times each year. Always seems to take forever to get through security and immigration/customs, so get to the airport on the early side to be safe. Once through, there is free wifi to pass the time.

Thank you so much for your responses! I have never flown from Canada and was envisioning it being like flying in from Europe. You have put my mind at ease. Thank again!

Your mind shouldn't be at ease because you haven't filled in one gap...how are you getting from YQB to YUL??

If flying, then THAT connection needs to be long enough to handle the C&I issue - there is no preclearance at YQB, so it would be performed at YUL. If driving or taking the train, then you need to be sure you have enough time before flight departure.

Preclearance has been both smooth and difficult in my experience, with YYC being quite easy and YYZ being a mess. My only time through YUL was a number of years ago and took some time. Of course, time of day and day of week also come into play. YMMV.

Your mind shouldn't be at ease because you haven't filled in one gap...how are you getting from YQB to YUL??

If flying, then THAT connection needs to be long enough to handle the C&I issue - there is no preclearance at YQB, so it would be performed at YUL. If driving or taking the train, then you need to be sure you have enough time before flight departure.

Preclearance has been both smooth and difficult in my experience, with YYC being quite easy and YYZ being a mess. My only time through YUL was a number of years ago and took some time. Of course, time of day and day of week also come into play. YMMV.

I was planning to take the train or the ship's transportation to Montreal. The cruise line suggests no flights from there before 2 p.m., but the flight I'm looking at doesn't leave until 3:30 p.m. It seems like it should be enough time. I'm assuming that if I should change my mind and schedule my flight from YQB to a US city, the preclearance would happen at YQB. Is that right? Thanks for your help.

I was planning to take the train or the ship's transportation to Montreal. The cruise line suggests no flights from there before 2 p.m., but the flight I'm looking at doesn't leave until 3:30 p.m. It seems like it should be enough time. I'm assuming that if I should change my mind and schedule my flight from YQB to a US city, the preclearance would happen at YQB. Is that right? Thanks for your help.

YQB doesn't have US preclearance, so the procedure would be different. Do not let that deter you from flying from there, however, as it is a very easy airport to fly out of.

If you do decide to fly out of YUL, there's a bus from Gare du Palais (the combined train/bus station, quite close to the cruise terminal) that goes straight to YUL.

YQB doesn't have US preclearance, so the procedure would be different. Do not let that deter you from flying from there, however, as it is a very easy airport to fly out of.

If you do decide to fly out of YUL, there's a bus from Gare du Palais (the combined train/bus station, quite close to the cruise terminal) that goes straight to YUL.

Do you know what that different process would be in YQB? Would that inpact layover times in the US city that I would be traveling too if I went that way? Thanks for your help.

Do you know what that different process would be in YQB? Would that inpact layover times in the US city that I would be traveling too if I went that way? Thanks for your help.

It depends on whether you are flying straight to the US (UA flies to ORD and EWR, and DL flies to JFK)or thru another Canadian city with pre-clearance (such as YUL or YYZ). If flying to the US, you would be clearing immigration/collecting your luggage at your first point of entry, so yes, you would need to allow extra time for that. If passing thru YUL or YYZ, you would do the whole pre-clearance thing.

Indy 71,

Be sure to monitor your Delta flights. 1:10 is fine in Atlanta if all goes well. The Montreal flights are on regional jets which usually dock at the far ends of concourses C and D. The domestic connection time in ATL is 35 minutes which can be a little challenging for anyone unfamiliar with ATL and its parallel concourses. That's the time adjustment you really don't want.

Happy planning and have a great cruise.

I am so appreciative of all your helpful advice. It's so nice to have an understanding of how things work before making plans. I now know several things to watch out for when picking a flight. Thank you so much!!!!

If flying to the US, you would be clearing immigration/collecting your luggage at your first point of entry, so yes, you would need to allow extra time for that. If passing thru YUL or YYZ, you would do the whole pre-clearance thing.[/font][/size][/color]

I am flying MSP-YYZ-VCE and returning FCO-YUL-YYZ-MSP

Do I understand correct: I will clear customs and immigration outbound in VCE. And on return, these will both take place in YUL? I will need to collect luggage in both situations, for customs?

Like the OP.... I'm trying to know what to anticipate.

Thanks,

Peg

I am flying MSP-YYZ-VCE and returning FCO-YUL-YYZ-MSP

Do I understand correct: I will clear customs and immigration outbound in VCE. And on return, these will both take place in YUL? I will need to collect luggage in both situations, for customs?

Like the OP.... I'm trying to know what to anticipate.

Thanks,

Peg

Your return will be a pain because you'll have to clear Canadian immigration at one airport, fly domestic, then clear US immigration at another, then fly to MSP

Your return will be a pain because you'll have to clear Canadian immigration at one airport, fly domestic, then clear US immigration at another, then fly to MSP

Correct. When you arrive at YUL, you'll need to clear Canadian Customs, fly to YYZ where you will then need to clear US Customs prior to returning to the US.

In Montreal you'll need to claim your bags but immediately drop them off once cleared by customs and head to your next flight. In Toronto, you will not need to claim your bags but will need to clear US customs. Not fun but not bad if you have enough time.

I'm glad to know what to expect coming home...glad we don't have to jump thru so many hoops outbound-that would make me nervous. Don't want to lose any precious vacation time!!! Coming home... we'll be tired but hey, just heading home!!

On return we have 1 hr in YUL and 2 hrs in YYZ. Flying Air Canada all the way.

Thanks again for the info.

Peg

I'm glad to know what to expect coming home...glad we don't have to jump thru so many hoops outbound-that would make me nervous. Don't want to lose any precious vacation time!!! Coming home... we'll be tired but hey, just heading home!!

On return we have 1 hr in YUL and 2 hrs in YYZ. Flying Air Canada all the way.

Thanks again for the info.

Peg

One hour in Montreal could be tight. You'll need to clear Canadia(e)n immigration, Canadia(e)n customs, and security. You are at the minimum connection time for international to domestic on AC at YUL with the one hour, and often times minimum connection times are more ideal than they are realistic! So, don't be lazy. Try to get towards the front of your inbound flight. Do whatever you can to speed that process up.