Skagway expedition help

lasnev

White Pass Railway & Yukon Expedition through NCL or Bennett Scenic Journey through WPYR directly which is not offered through NCL?

This last one sounds more inviting to us but don't know if we can make it on time since the ship gets in port at 7:00 am, for a 7:30 departure, plus if booked directly we have to catch the train at their station, not on docks. How far would that be or are there better options for a full day 8-9 hours trip?

The Bennett scenic journey does offer a stop at Emerald Lake. Thanks!!!!!!

Have you read the train descriptions? These are very different tours and either could be YOUR preference. It's up to you which train journey is of most interest? Do you want to ride the train further, take a different route, which is loaded with history? Or will a shorter train trip be your preference.

I suggest you consider comparing both your listed tours with Chilkoot charters and not "split" the vendors. NCL will have a larger group and use a tour bus with fixed stops. It does load at the ship. Independent would have a smaller group and be more personal, but would load in town. IF you have no mobility limitations doesn't make much difference.

Yes, IF you can get yourself going, you can make a 7:30am tour. Verify this directly with the vendor.

if you call chilkoot, they will let you know whether it will work or not. we wanted to take the bennett tour, but on the day we are in skagway, the trip doesn't leave until 8:30 getting back at 4:45. they wouldn't let us do it because it was cutting it too close to the 5 pm departure time for the ship. so we landed on their other tour - the train/bus combo with the dogsled ride.

Budget Queen, yes I did make a mistake. I thought they were pretty similar, just trying to stay away from tourist traps. Would much rather see more scenery and historic points rather than a meal and show. Very confusing being first timers, so I would appreciate your input on which tour would offer the former.

Stilley9, we should have plenty of time. How was the tour you ended up getting?

Thanks again

I am definitely going to look into Chilkoot.

Budget Queen, yes I did make a mistake. I thought they were pretty similar, just trying to stay away from tourist traps. Would much rather see more scenery and historic points rather than a meal and show. Very confusing being first timers, so I would appreciate your input on which tour would offer the former.

Stilley9, we should have plenty of time. How was the tour you ended up getting?

Thanks again

I am definitely going to look into Chilkoot.

With your "history and scenery" priority then the Lake Bennett trip is superior.

Does the train ride really get boring after the first hour, as posted in another thread? I know it's subjective, but I would appreciate more opinions.

Thanks again

If you are a photographer standing on the platform between the cars, the views are spectacular.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/index.php/nggallery/page/2?page_id=1070

Does the train ride really get boring after the first hour, as posted in another thread? I know it's subjective, but I would appreciate more opinions.

Thanks again

There are countless reports of people who have enjoyed this train trip. IF you aren't interested you are going to be "bored" with any tour. For whatever reason, this was the wrong tour choice for this person. Does NOT reflect on this being a "bad tour".

Thanks again

We absolutely loved the Lake Bennett tour and didn't get bored at all!

Is there more than one Bennett scenic journey/expedition? I saw the one with chilkoot and I think there is one with WPYR.

Also what do you mean about not "splitting" vendors?

The numerous times we’ve been to Skagway over the years we’ve taken the train up to Bennett, the bus up to Emerald Lake, rented a car, which was very nice and drove up to Whitehorse. The best bang for the buck was last year we took a small tour bus up to Emerald Lake with Dyea Dave tours. The driver would stop whenever anyone wanted to stop, knew a lot of information about the area. I think the $79 spent was a great bargain and we were gone all day. I'm thinking about using him again this to go over to Dyea.

Once we did a bike ride, which was really cool. We went down on the tidal flats. Also, rented a car the other time and saw WAY more and had time to walk around town. Rent a car. It's nice to be able to stop and take pics when you want, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Is there more than one Bennett scenic journey/expedition? I saw the one with chilkoot and I think there is one with WPYR.

Also what do you mean about not "splitting" vendors?

There is ONE Lake Bennett train run. All the "tours" contract with White Pass. rs

I suggested you compare the tours, reading the various differences with one vendor- meaning Chilkoot. I already explained that the ship tours use full size touring buses which aren't as nice touring this area.

To the OP, you are correct that NCL does not offer the Bennett trip. In 2012 I used Chilkoot and was quite happy with the trip. Bennett is a fantastic piece of the gold rush story - there are still items left over from the gold rush days - including the church - which is very unique. I know that Chilkoot bases its pricing on the ticket prices of the WP&Y RR. I am not sure who the RR uses for return transportation - and the viewing of the Carcross Dessert and Emerald Lake. With Chilkoot, you are assured of being in a small bus with a local driver/guide. They will also meet you at the cruise ship dock and take you to where the train is. The day I rode it, we were running late so they met the train near the yard. Also the first two cars were packed with Princess tour people - we were in the third car with about a dozen people from a couple of tour companies (we had 5 in our Chilkoot bus) The train also had three more cars with passengers for Fraser - we also dropped those cars on a siding at Fraser so for the second half of the trip we were in the rear car. On the train everybody gets the same tour guide provided by the RR. If you are into hats - wait until after Fraser to buy one - this train sells a special Carcross hat that is only available on the train or at the depot in Carcross.

You are a wealth of knowledge... Looked on the Chikoot site and cant seem to find their prices? We are not cruising until August 2015...but looking at what we might want to do now? Any suggestions? How many times have you cruised and been to Alaska? Watch out for my "cruise bug"! Thanks!

There is ONE Lake Bennett train run. All the "tours" contract with White Pass. rs

I suggested you compare the tours, reading the various differences with one vendor- meaning Chilkoot. I already explained that the ship tours use full size touring buses which aren't as nice touring this area.

Edited by grammyprf

If you are a photographer standing on the platform between the cars, the views are spectacular.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/index.php/nggallery/page/2?page_id=1070

Is anyone allowed to stand on the platform?

Do you recommend being at the front or back of the train.

I'm taking the Princess/Train and Yukon Experience in the next couple of weeks. I think it does a bus up and the train down.

Is anyone allowed to stand on the platform?

Do you recommend being at the front or back of the train.

I'm taking the Princess/Train and Yukon Experience in the next couple of weeks. I think it does a bus up and the train down.

Yes, anyone can stand on the platform, they aren't big areas. See if you prefer the front or back. :) Frankly you may want to reconsider the Princess tour. Unfortunately these use full size tour buses, with fixed stops. A lot of time is spent loading and unloading. Especially in this timeframe, bears may be seen and the Princess bus will not stop, unless there happens to be an official pull off due to the size of the bus. Independent tours, use smaller buses, like airport car rental shuttle bus sizes with far fewer people, and greater opportunities for opportunity stops and pull overs.

Edited by Budget Queen

You are a wealth of knowledge... Looked on the Chikoot site and cant seem to find their prices? We are not cruising until August 2015...but looking at what we might want to do now? Any suggestions? How many times have you cruised and been to Alaska? Watch out for my "cruise bug"! Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. If you email Chilkoot they will email back the prices. That will give you a ball park fee for next year.

I've cruised Alaska over 40 times. Have done a few mainland only Alaska trips, but most were with cruises. I'm on 3 cruises coming up on Tuesday. I then return in July with my nephew for 3 weeks mainland only touring.

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the Star Princess and get into Skagway on Thursday, Aug 14th. According to the Chilkoot website, this is a train up and bus back. The train leaves at 7:30 but our ship gets in at 7:00. Will we have time to make the train? The Chilkoot FAQ on their website states that ships get in earlier then the times that they post. Is this true? If so, can you get off a little earlier? I don't want to miss the train.

Chilkoot is correct, the vast majority of the time the ships are in port and fully docked around 6:00AM so you can enjoy breakfast, leave the ship and meet the Chilkoot van at the end of the dock. They will take you to the train - we met the train near the yard - which could be the normal boarding place, however we were running late.

Enjoy your trip

Thank you for the kind words. If you email Chilkoot they will email back the prices. That will give you a ball park fee for next year.

I've cruised Alaska over 40 times. Have done a few mainland only Alaska trips, but most were with cruises. I'm on 3 cruises coming up on Tuesday. I then return in July with my nephew for 3 weeks mainland only touring.

Wow what a lot of cruises! lucky you. Have a great time.

just interested to know what the smaller tour names are or tour buses please. I may be leaving it a bit late but we leave Australia on Sunday and cruise from Vancouver on Monday! :)

Edited by Bubbles68