Rome Day 1 - Too Ambitious?

MissBreezy

Hi!

I'm just looking for some insight on our pre-cruise visit to Rome. We have two days in Rome before our cruise. On Day #1 we fly into Rome at 9:00am in the morning local time, because we are on the west coast this would be 1:00am MST. If we are lucky and manage to sleep on the plane we will probably get two hours sleep, maximum.

We had planned to get to our hotel, get our bearings a bit, meet the inlaws and then head off to tour the Vatican (museum, basilica etc.) for the remainder of the day since our B&B is just down the street. Is this too ambitious on so little sleep or should I expect a traveler's high to get me through?

I'd like to avoid napping during the day if we can so we don't waste our precious time in Rome.

Thanks all!

Everyone is different but that is about what we do when we get into a European city. You really don't have a choice in the matter because you probably will not be able to go to your hotel room that early.

We drop our bags and start to explore, even though we are in our 60s the travelers high still kicks in.

Every is different, but we feel it is best to try to stay up to normal local times when adjusting. So I think your plan is solid. I think if you stay active at least until dark, you will adjust quickly. So touring and walking around is an excellent way to stay active and adjust.

Thanks for the replies!

It never occurred to me and I thought it was a good plan until DH reminded me I'm "crazy" when I don't sleep :D This is our trip overseas so it's all new.

Vatican it is!

I agree with the term "vacation high". I have found that whenever I go to Europe I have no trouble staying active on that first day so my body adjusts to the time change.

Every trip I have taken to Europe or Asia I have slept too much upon arrive and regretted it later. This time I am determined to make it through the day and adjust my inner clock. Suggestions anyone? I am one that needs 8hrs of sleep a night to function.

Every trip I have taken to Europe or Asia I have slept too much upon arrive and regretted it later. This time I am determined to make it through the day and adjust my inner clock. Suggestions anyone? I am one that needs 8hrs of sleep a night to function.

As mentioned above, stay active at least until dark, local time. Get as good a nap as you can on the plane going over.

Everyone is different but I will tell you that I usually feel pretty lousy that first day. We have a similar flight to yours (though arriving in Venice this year). I know from experience that we will all be crabby but will be able to wander a bit and have lunch. Then we will take a two or three hour nap and get up and go out again for dinner and some wandering.

Wandering the basilica and area plus lunch is probably a good idea. Then see how you feel and decide then about the museums. TONS of people there so you may need more patience then you will have!

We are in CST, and we did it with a 4 year old and a 10 year old as well! We just set the expectations early that when we landed there were going to be things to do, so eat as much as you could on the plane, take as long of sleep as you could, eat again then be prepared for the day. We stayed near the Coliseum, so once we got to the hotel and dropped everything off, we went out walking. Had a lunch, desert cannoli, some gelato, then went to the coliseum and the Forum, then took a cab to trevi fountain. we ate dinner near there, took a cab back to the hotel and passed out early.

As long as everyone knew this was going to happen, it was fine. its those trips where everyone thinks they will take a relaxing day, and then decide to pump it full of energy that the grouchies come out.

Hi!

I'm just looking for some insight on our pre-cruise visit to Rome. We have two days in Rome before our cruise. On Day #1 we fly into Rome at 9:00am in the morning local time, because we are on the west coast this would be 1:00am MST. If we are lucky and manage to sleep on the plane we will probably get two hours sleep, maximum.

We had planned to get to our hotel, get our bearings a bit, meet the inlaws and then head off to tour the Vatican (museum, basilica etc.) for the remainder of the day since our B&B is just down the street. Is this too ambitious on so little sleep or should I expect a traveler's high to get me through?

I'd like to avoid napping during the day if we can so we don't waste our precious time in Rome.

Thanks all!

What we've done in the past, is, get to Rome, shower, and get a few hours of sleep, then go out. This seemed to help and we didn't get jet lagged....

The traveler's high will probably get you through. But it can also prevent sleeping on the plane.

If you have a rough travel day and are feeling extra tired, a nice backup plan would be to hit up a cafe after dropping your things off and meeting up with family. Have some caffeine, decompress, people watch, enjoy the neighborhood. Then evaluate what you have the energy for next. Perhaps it is St. Peter's but leaving the museum for the next day. Or just taking a slow walk through the Prati area, returning to the room, and watching tv dubbed in Italian while someone has a "lie down" before they melt down. Don't feel bad for adjusting the day one plans a bit so people will enjoy day two.

The first thing I do after a long flight and my room is available is take a shower. It helps me feel human again. If I'm arriving early, I send the hotel an e-mail or call a few days in advance to let them know that I'd appreciate early check-in if they can arrange it. If that's not possible, I search out caffeine and sun :)

I think your idea is great, on our 1st trip to Rome we arrived around the same time, went to our hotel where we had an early check in, took showers and then met our guide for a 4 hour walking tour of Ancient Rome. It was wonderful and neither one of us was tired we were so excited to be there. After the tour we had a dinner at a sidewalk café and THAT's when the "tired" set in, but it was all good, we got back to our hotel around 9PM and crashed immediately, when we woke up the next day we were totally refreshed, never felt any jet lag at all. Have a wonderful time!!!:D