Dui 6 months ago-can i get on celebrity solstice in a couple weeks-roundtrip seattle

If anyone can give me a past experience or anyone who is SURE my client can get on celebrity in a few weeks in seattle with a recent dui, it's a closed loop cruise roundtrip seattle. I was told by celebrity that they talked to solstice and they said it's fine, but might not be able to get off in victoria, bc. Please Help, i'm paranoid !!

You should be fine as far as the Seattle goes. That said, Victoria could indeed be an issue. Surely dont sign up for any shore excursions. plan on getting off on your own. If when you do the buzzer goes off at the gangway, don't be surprised and just relax on the ship.

From one bad boy to another.

Worldspan

134 cruises strong

I would be worried, although I have no personal experience. A cruiser is entering Canada whether or not he gets off the ship in Victoria. Canadian authorities will have a list of passengers. Driving while impaired makes the cruiser inadmissible to Canada. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/index.asp Canadian immigration knew of a friend's US conviction and turned him away at a land border crossing.

thanks for the reply, but based on the fact i'm a travel agent and you have no experience with this, from what the multiple people at the canadian consulate and celebrity said today, the worst that could happen is he would have to stay on the ship in victoria, and rarely he would have to be interviewed by officials in victoria. I'm just trying to get FACTS from people on here that have a dui or know someone with a dui that went on a cruise out of seattle.

thanks for the reply, but based on the fact i'm a travel agent and you have no experience with this, from what the multiple people at the canadian consulate and celebrity said today, the worst that could happen is he would have to stay on the ship in victoria, and rarely he would have to be interviewed by officials in victoria. I'm just trying to get FACTS from people on here that have a dui or know someone with a dui that went on a cruise out of seattle.

You say you have spoken with the Canadian Consulate and the cruiseline. Those are the 2 most important entities to discuss this with and it seems you were given answers to your questions. It would seem appropriate to heed the advice given by the consulate and the cruiseline.

It will not matter what anyone here has to say be they facts or otherwise. Any information given you by folks here won't matter to the cruiseline or Canadian authorities. Each person's experiences are unique to them and may not translate to what might occur to your client.

If anyone can give me a past experience or anyone who is SURE my client can get on celebrity in a few weeks in seattle with a recent dui, it's a closed loop cruise roundtrip seattle. I was told by celebrity that they talked to solstice and they said it's fine, but might not be able to get off in victoria, bc. Please Help, i'm paranoid !!

My understanding is that no felons are allowed to debark in Canada. This means that if they have been CONVICTED OF FELONY DUI then they can't get off the ship. If the case is pending or they just got a ticket for DUI they should be ok.

so, not to hijack the thread...but am I understanding correctly that some cruise lines and/or countries will refuse admission if you have a criminal record?

I don't have anything but I was just sort of surprised...I would have never thought of it...how would Canada or any other country even know?

so, not to hijack the thread...but am I understanding correctly that some cruise lines and/or countries will refuse admission if you have a criminal record?

I don't have anything but I was just sort of surprised...I would have never thought of it...how would Canada or any other country even know?

birth certificate, drivers license, passport....they identify everyone on the ship and the government has to clear the list

an international lawyer might help you - if you're going to do business in international travel as a travel agent, I bet one would be essential to your success and freedom from litigious folks who didn't get what they thought they were getting. Even if you are the cruiser.....

When you are convicted of a felony it goes into a nationwide database known as NCIC. This is what employer check when they do a criminal check and is also accessible by other countries. Other countries check these when you process through them and can and will deny you entry based on the crime or if you have a felony. The big the countries that do not permit felony convictions are: Canada, UK (they refused entry to Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg) and Australia (Since they started off as a criminal penal island I guess they think they already have enough of them)

As far as cruise lines go. They have the right to refuse service to anyone. They also run their passenger manifest through NCIC and other databases. If you raise a "flag" in theirs system their security team will contact you and ask information regarding your conviction. I have a 15 year old conviction. When I sailed Carnival I never was contacted. When I sailed RCCL their security team contacted me concerning my conviction and upon determining that I would not be a problem let me sail and put me in their "cleared to sail file" meaning that I don't raise flags when I book through them. I have my 1st NCL cruise in October so we'll see if I get flagged or I board without any problems.

Canada takes the issue of a DUI extremely serious, and Diversion Programs get the same treatment.

Please Google the issue, 5 yrs is a bare minimum and even then there is no guarantee. Our issue was a 16 yr old Diversion program and it still came up, thank god we had all the court papers and proof all conditions were met. Also had a letter from an attorney spelling everything out.

We got lucky as it was up to the Border agent to decide. This was crossing the border at Blaine, Washington by car.....

Because this is a closed loop this client may actually be ok if he does not try to leave ship at Victoria.

Very interesting reading if you Google this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sorry I mentioned the non-cruise experience. If Celebrity and the Canadian Consulate have approved the cruiser, I don't know why you are paranoid. Relax and enjoy the cruise.

The consulate and cruise line sound like a good place to start. But it sounds like you are a professional who is in the unenviable position of giving your client what amounts to legal advice. Perhaps you should consult an attorney who specializes in travel/immigration law, before advising your client. :cool:

My understanding is that no felons are allowed to debark in Canada. This means that if they have been CONVICTED OF FELONY DUI then they can't get off the ship. If the case is pending or they just got a ticket for DUI they should be ok.

ALL DUI convictions are considered a felony here in Canada, so even if you "just got a ticket" it's enough. That still qualifies as a DUI conviction.

The consulate and cruise line sound like a good place to start. But it sounds like you are a professional who is in the unenviable position of giving your client what amounts to legal advice. Perhaps you should consult an attorney who specializes in travel/immigration law, before advising your client. :cool:

Better yet, tell your client that he needs to get advice from an attorney; after all it's his problem not yours - you simply booked the cruise for him. Give him advice regarding a potential issue and then leave it up to him to deal with it.

Edited by cruiseryyc

In your initial post you did not mention speaking to the Canadian Conciliate (and I missed it in the later post). Given you have spoken with the cruise line and Canadian Govt then you know it's a VERY big deal in Canada .....

This should be your clients issue to check prior to paying for the cruise and your job to advise him of the potential issue. I would not want to be in your shoes if things go wrong.

Likely, if he is allowed to board the ship and does not attempt to get off and go thru the immigration point at the pier in Victoria then he is likely fine. Our only experience is a land crossing and sorry if you did not want to be bothered with that info....

Edited by nana541

ALL DUI convictions are considered a felony here in Canada, so even if you "just got a ticket" it's enough. That still qualifies as a DUI conviction.

Exactly and it does not matter how long ago or if you have been let in before. It's a crap shoot and you can not count on being admitted especially if it's been less than 5 yrs.

The onus is on the guest to find out if s/he is permitted to enter Canada with a DUI...

Personally I would NOT be giving this advice, and you should probably cover your bottom by notifying the party in WRITING and making him sign it, that HE needs to do the legwork...if you do it and you're wrong, better hope your E & O insurance premiums are paid up...

The LAST place I would come for advice on legal matters is Cruise Critic, but that's just me.....

It's up to the Canadian government to determine whether or not the person will be permitted into Canada.....it does not matter if X contacted the ship and the ship said...well, they should be ok....

Edited by megr1125

Better yet, tell your client that he needs to get advice from an attorney; after all it's his problem not yours - you simply booked the cruise for him. Give him advice regarding a potential issue and then leave it up to him to deal with it.

^^ Yes. This.

OP.... Seeing you do not know the answer, I can't imagine as a travel professional you want to provide advice you know your client will depend upon. What if you are mistaken?

Over the past year or two there have been a few posts on CC about this. Also if you google you can find some more. It seems that on the NCL board about a year ago there was a post about a family refused boarding on the West Coast for an Alaskan cruise. Canadian authorities refused to allow them to transit. This was also a DUI case. I would get anything from the Canadian authorities in writing before I booked and tried to board.