Anyone done a solo cruise before?

alg7334

I went solo on the Dawn and had a great time - going again on the Breakaway in a solo studio. Really looking forward to it!

Just remember that "solo" and "single" are not synonyms! I'm going solo because my husband doesn't like to travel as much as I do, and can't get away. NCL does a good job for both single and not-single solo passengers!

Nope, never did solo cruises.. Just cruises with friends I hadn't met yet :D

Brilliantly put. We're doing the studios although we are bit really solo my son will abandon me and want to find people his age. My mum will be in bed after dinner, doesn't drink etc and I will be on my own

Looking forward to meeting new friends

Has anyone done a solo cruise before on any of the NCL ships? If so I'd love to get your thoughts on if you had a great time or if you ended up feeling lonely. Was it easy to make friends or find people to have dinner with?

I'm 30 years old from CT and don't have a special someone right now but love to cruise so I don't want to let the lack of someone to go with stop me from doing something I enjoy! I just worry a bit about being trapped for 7 days if I start to regret the decision once onboard. Would love your candid thoughts.

I was just thinking about this question, so thought I'd add my experience about dining.

I was on the Breakaway transatlantic as a solo. I went there half expecting to eat by myself most nights. In the end this is what I did.

Taste with a big group. We were split up so I sat at a table of four of us.

Moderno with a group of about 5 people I had met at the Solo meet up.

Manhattan, again with a big group split into tables of about 8.

Noodle Bar with a group of new friends.

Savor with a group of about 8.

Teppenyaki with about 4 very good friends.

The other night I ate at o'Sheehans by myself because I wanted to go to a show so missed the meal at Cagneys which I could have gone to.

Taste and Manhattan were arranged by the NCL solos staff, but we arranged the others ourselves.

The new acquaintances at the beginning of the week were good friends by the end. We are still in touch now, met up for a couple of nights when the Getaway passed through Southampton and will meet again on the Escape. Those that cruise often as solos have met up on other cruises in the meantime.

I took a load of books on my Kindle and hardly read a page. In fact, one reason I like the fact that the Escape will be 10 days is that I can take a day or two out to just sit and read and still have a load of time to spend with my friends onboard.

You won't be lonely, honest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My first cruise on NCL was solo

My biggest issue was the staff

Most times when they found out i was alone there was always a strange look and even sometimes a question as to why I was alone

I thought no one traveled alone on nil but i met another guy who also was traveling alone

I enjoyed my solo cruise

I am not a big social person and I enjoyed my solitude and did have a great time

You can be as social as you want or as alone as you want

its up to you to make your own happiness whether alone or with others

Recently divorced, went on the cruise anyway! I "advertised" on my roll call that I was looking for dinner companions, etc. I wound up joining two different groups for private tours, and hung out with those people for many hours on the cruise. We even won the Quest as a group!

I only ate by myself one night in the MDR. If I hadn't already made other plans, I asked to be seated with others when I showed up, and it worked every night except one.

I have my next cruise booked for January, and am looking forward to another good solo experience. There is a solo cruising board on CC which will give you some good tips.

Delawarealan

Thanks for sharing this information - I'm recently divorced too (still in the process actually) but don't want to give up cruising! This was helpful to hear from you.

What ship are you thinking of booking? I would love to invite you to our Halloween Cruise on the Getaway October 25-November 1st! I'm also cruising solo this year! (First time for me) So I'm anxious as to what I'll be doing. But I have yet to think I'll be lonely! =)

Whatever cruise you decide to sail on, I hope it's a blast and your best vacation, EVER!

This might be a sign!!! I was seriously thinking about that cruise because Halloween is my absolute favorite and my bday is around that time too! I will definitely email you if I end up booking that one! :)

alg, I'm a 36-year-old single female, just got off my first solo cruise on the Breakaway, and I had a blast! Thanks to the Studio Cabins, I think NCL is doing a much better job catering to solo travelers now. I met people through the daily Solo Travelers meeting, the CC roll call and just hanging out around the ship! I could do my own thing when I wanted to, but also had people I could have dinner and do some of the entertainment stuff with if I wanted to.

There were moments I felt a little awkward, but they were few and far between, honestly. Of course, I've always been single, lived alone for 10+ years, moved halfway across the country and back by myself, so I am very comfortable being solo.

I really want to write a review of my solo travel experience when my workload allows me enough time!

P.S. Another way to "meet" people? Get randomly chosen for the on-board Dancing with the Stars competition that will be rebroadcast on TV over and over again during your cruise ;)

Thank you so much! Your perspective is very helpful :)

Hi there- I did my first ever cruise last year as a solo on the Breakaway (highly recommended). It was honestly one of the funnest exepriences of my life and I have had some great travel experiences in the past. I wrote a pretty extensive review about my experiences here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891038. Hope this helps!

Thanks for sharing your great review! It was very helpful!

Everyone thank you so much for sharing your feedback about solo cruising!! I feel really excited about it now and much less worried. I think I'm going to book! Thanks again :)

you are most welcome....enjoy life...enjoy cruising..

• 2 weeks later...
Nope, never did solo cruises.. Just cruises with friends I hadn't met yet :D

I love that attitude!!! :-) I am going on my first "friends I haven't met yet" cruise next September 2015, and I can't wait!!

Kathleen

Pretty much echo everyone's sentiments here. Solo cruising is great.

I was slated to cruise last year with my "then" girlfriend". We split up before the cruise and before final payment. I was going to cancel the entire thing. But, decided instead to just go "solo".

Had a wonderful time. Everyone, from the staff, to the room steward, to my fellow solo travelers, to the bartenders, to the restaurant personnel...everyone was so welcoming to me as a solo travler.

As the old saying goes, "I may be alone, but I'm never lonelY". That applies to the solo travel on my Breakaway cruise.

While there are a ton of great memories, two stand out. The first one, I was at Shanghai Noodle Bar for the very first time one night after roaming Bermuda all day. I hadn't eaten lunch, wasn't in the mood for O'Sheehan's Pub Food (which was always good, too). And, I didn't feel like going to any of the MDRs.

After being seated at the Chef's Counter, the Chef asked if I was dining alone. I informed him I was. I think I only ordered a bowl of seafood and noodles, but he kept putting his "special dishes" in front of me to "try". I think my bill was about $6 for a 3 course meal. Went bakc twice more...same thing....I got 3-4 dishes for the price of one.

The 2nd night we were in Bermuda, I took a "night cruise" in a glass bottom boat. I sat next to a pretty charming lady who was sailing with her Mother on the Celebrity ship, also docked in Bermuda. For the next 48 hours, we were practically inseparable as her Mother stayed on the Celebrity ship for the most part. The CD on the Breakaway (Julie), helped me set up a "tour" for my new found friend aboard the Breakaway.

Unfortunately, she lived in Canada, and I live in the States. We kept in touch for a little while, but life goes on.

I preferred it to stay as one of my life's great memories. It was exactly what I needed at exactly the right time.

So, in short, go solo. You never know what might happen.

Edited by graphicguy

Of the many cruises listed in my signature, I sailed solo for about 80% of them. I like being able to do what I want, when I want and not be accountable to anyone. I only dine in the specialty restaurants and usually end up have conversation with people at tables close by or with the wait staff. Even if I don't, I still enjoy myself. Also I love to dance and enjoy the different music venues. If I feel like dancing, I just dance!

The only other thing I would mention is regarding shore excursions. When I travel alone and with the exception of Bermuda, I always go on NCL-sponsored excursions or join group excursions through the roll call and never, ever go off by myself in a taxi.

Tracy

I just booked my first cruise on NCL and my first solo cruise, having recently been widowed. I am going with friends but also don't want to always be the third wheel.

I have a question about the solo activities. What age group are they geared for?

I'm interested in this also as I have also booked with friends and don't want to be the third wheel all the time.

Has anyone done a solo cruise before on any of the NCL ships? If so I'd love to get your thoughts on if you had a great time or if you ended up feeling lonely. Was it easy to make friends or find people to have dinner with?

I'm 30 years old from CT and don't have a special someone right now but love to cruise so I don't want to let the lack of someone to go with stop me from doing something I enjoy! I just worry a bit about being trapped for 7 days if I start to regret the decision once onboard. Would love your candid thoughts.

I've done 3 on NCL, my fourth is coming up in November, as well as many on other cruise lines. I'm a pretty indepndent lady, so my experience might be different than yours. Not to mention, I'm quite a bit older than you.

I would first post on your roll call and sign up for the meet and greet. On the roll call ask if there are any other singles. Ask about what shore excursions folks are doing and if interested join one of the shore excursions; that is a great way to meet people. At your meet and greet, if you talk with people you find interesting, ask them what they are doing for dinner, or suggest meeting for a cocktail or dinner.

I usually only do specialty restaurants (sans my last cruise) and will bring my Ipad mini and read a book while dining (I do this a lot at home if I decided to go to lunch or dinner and no one wants to go). You could also go the the MDR and ask to be seated with people, if you don't want to go to the specialty restaurants. If you go to the buffet and there are no tables, don't be afraid to ask if you can join people.

If I remember correctly, there was some sort of singles mixer on the ship (sorry, don't have info, because I didn't go); look for it on the daillies. Also, look for group activities on the ship, it is a great way to meet people.

The most important thing I could say, is don't be afraid to make the first move and start a conversation with someone or some people; most people are a lot more friendly on vacation LOL!.

Hopefully you will enjoy your cruise, as much as I've enjoyed all of mine.

Several. Been around the world and back again by myself, by choice. I travel alone, with the hubby and with friends. Traveling solo is just as much fun as the other options sometimes more.

Whether you're lonely or not will depend on your personality. I think that you have to go out of your way not to meet people on a cruise. As long as you put your self out there you can meet plenty of people or stay by yourself your choice.

I hope that you have a great trip wherever you choose to go. :)

Doing my first ever solo in November on Jewel.

Honestly I have just two concerns.

On ship, I want to primarily eat dinner at the specialty restaurants and would like more detailed info on seating. Where do they sit the tables for one? I would kind of want to be in a corner and not on display in the middle of the room. I figure I will bring my tablet or something so during the wait I am not twiddling my thumbs.

Second concern is ports. For instance Belize has a small crime problem so I would prefer to do a group tour, which is easy enough to schedule. But I also want to do a taxi to a pharmacy to pick some things up I can't get easily in my home country. So that would be on my own...

Sent from my LG Optimus G Pro

I've always sailed solo and I can offer a few tips. For one thing go to the MDR's for dinner and let the maître d know that you will share a table. This way you get new table mates each evening and you get a shot at meeting others. At your table try to gently start a conversation of a neutral bent. Then step back and see what develops. Join the fitness center where all the exercise gurus gather to compare cramped muscles. Buy a spa pass so you can quietly avoid the afore mentioned gurus in the blissful place where the only sound is New Age music and the trickle of water. Drink frequently but don't get drunk. Be cheerful and pleasant to everyone. Stay up late at night, but rise early in the morning, then take a nap after breakfast. Don't judge, remember the whole world is not about YOU, and you will be most beloved and have a wonderful time!

On ship, I want to primarily eat dinner at the specialty restaurants and would like more detailed info on seating. Where do they sit the tables for one? I would kind of want to be in a corner and not on display in the middle of the room. I figure I will bring my tablet or something so during the wait I am not twiddling my thumbs.

Second concern is ports. For instance Belize has a small crime problem so I would prefer to do a group tour, which is easy enough to schedule. But I also want to do a taxi to a pharmacy to pick some things up I can't get easily in my home country. So that would be on my own...

When I dine in the specialty restaurants, I first look around and spot the area where I'd like to sit and ask the hostess if I may sit there. Usually no problem.

Personally I would never hop in a taxi alone in a foreign country. Maybe that's just me but safety first. Perhaps if you've met someone on the ship you could ask them to go with you.

Tracy

When I was on the Jewell, I at ate only specialty restaurants; At Cagney's there are tables for two and they are by the windows and the next set of tables over from those, if I remembeer complete. I don't remember any in the middle of the room. Italian restaurant I was more in the middle, but I'm sure you could ask for something more in a corner . The Teppanyaki restaurant is a fun one, because there are 8 seats around the table, so you are seated with others...I've always had a lot of fun and conversations at that restaurant. Sorry, those were the only three I went to. I took my Ipad mini and read while I ate (I do this at home when I dine alone as well), except at the Teppanyaki restaurant.

As far as the shore excursion, you can book a NCL shore excursion (look at your reservation on line and you will see what is available and you can book on line or when you board the ship). I would also sign up for your roll call, since sometime posters will coordinate an excursion on there. You will be able to get a taxi at the port to go to the pharmacy.