Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

here we go...I intend to wear a nice pair of "cargo type shorts" and a bahama type shirt

Cargo shorts went out of style three years ago. I don't think the Tommy Bahama shirts were ever in style. ;)

I'll also add, that I'm not asking for people to be dressed to the 9's but a shirt and chinos/trousers isn't too much trouble for men.
So, out of curiosity, are you saying that a $15 pair of khakis from Old Navy would be okay while a $100+ pair of jeans from Seven is not? I used to argue with my mother on that point when I starred wearing jeans to nice restaurants years and years ago and she would scrunch her nose and say "that's what you're wearing?" :)

BTW, I always wear wool dress pants on a cruise, though I'm on the verge of at least rotating in my designer jeans...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

I was on the Oasis last year and was surprised at the number of men wearing ball caps in the MDR.

What really upsets me about the ball caps is the number of people that wear them backwards. How much effort does it take to show some respect? PLEASE turn your ball cap around and wear them in the proper direction. :eek:

What really upsets me about the ball caps is the number of people that wear them backwards. How much effort does it take to show some respect? PLEASE turn your ball cap around and wear them in the proper direction. :eek:

While I also don't get the "backwards ballcap" look, how is it disrespectful? :confused:

The title of the thread was: Why is there a dress code if it is just a suggesting

Here's my answer: Because most people want SOME idea of what others are likely to be wearing so they can dress accordingly, but it's still just a suggestion because most people likewise don't get bent out of shape if someone else opts not to heed the suggested attire. ;)

im still amazed how if a person wearing something lessor than you expect upsets you. I think people who get upset at people not formal must be suffering from some sort of issue. how does it really affect you , the taste of your food, the conversation. formal should be for people who want to be formal.

A agree!! When I don't feel like following the attire suggestion in the MDR on formal night and getting dressing up, I go to another dining venue, the Windjammer (or other buffet) or order room service.

So that it can continue to be a controversial topic here on CC!

Personally I don't give a hoot what people wear in the dining room as long as they are presentable. On my last cruise on Allure with the exception of the two formal nights every other night was designated as casual.

Lol if woman can wear capris to dining room why should men not be allowed to wear shorts. Presentable shorts not gym clothes and muscle t's!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The backward hat comment made me smile. I believe it is an age thing. My MIL and son argues all the time about him where his hat backwards! To her it was disrespectful and rebellious to my boy he just liked it that way!

As far as hats in the dining room my hubby always made my son take his hat off while eating he was trained by his grandpa you just did that! Though now a days alot of people especially the younger generation think nothing of it!

Also the $15 khakis (look) dressier than jeans. To a lot of people and again referring to my MIL she hates a guy going to church in a pair of jeans she thinks they are "everyday clothes" and you should put a little more effort in when going to special places.

Well I won't let how a person dresses ruin my cruising! I will continue to dress nicely and enjoy my trip!

I meet the dress code so I am not defending my right to wear a ball cap backwards, etc.

But, frankly I don't see why anyone cares ... my legs are under my table with a table cloth covering them ... why does it matter whether I have shorts or jeans or pants on?

Shirt/Hat choice I can see to some degree since you might look around the room and notice that I am wearing a polo not a dress shirt for example, but again how does that really affect you ?

I might show up as a blur in the background of the picture taken of you at the dinner table but I really don't think what I am wearing is going to affect your photo that much.

My personal philosophy is wear what you want, I try not look like a slob pretty much all the time but if you want to go ahead.

No anger here and issue is certianly not the focus of the cruise. Issue is to be comfortable and enjoy it. It just sticks in my craw a bit when the so called high brows try to impose their sense of fashion on the rest of us. Just be clean, wear decent clothing, and be able to relax and enjoy the meal.

This idea just hit me....I've got a shirt that has "Hell ya I'm a redneck" emblazoned across the front with a picture of Johnny Reb. I could wear that with a confederate flag dorag and bring in a tobacco spit cup to set on the table. Bet that would get some pretend Rockerfeller's undies in a wad:eek:;);)

I think it's a holdover from years past, when passengers DID make an effort to be cultured and follow the guidelines. Just like when flying was new, folks dressed to the nines for their flights! No more! Today, it's "I have to be comfortable" mindset....

I don't think dressing well means being uncomfortable! If clothes hurt you, they probably aren't the right size! Or, it's my vacation....I don't care what the guidelines are.

I've never understood why folks would vacation someplace that doesn't "fit" their lifestyle! It would be like going to a business meeting, and wearing shorts and flip-flops....folks don't do that...not sure why they think it's ok on a ship with dress guidelines!

Dude...if you think dressing in a suit or tux (or gown if a woman) makes you cultured your have a lot to learn.

Dude...if you think dressing in a suit or tux (or gown if a woman) makes you cultured your have a lot to learn.

Maybe RCI should go back to the times of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class passengers, like back on the Titanic then we would not have all these uncultered people mixing with the aristocrats! LOL! :eek:

Maybe RCI should go back to the times of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class passengers, like back on the Titanic then we would not have all these uncultered people mixing with the aristocrats! LOL! :eek:

This may be coming to RCL sooner than you think. Celebrity is adding Suite only dining rooms.

This idea just hit me....I've got a shirt that has "Hell ya I'm a redneck" emblazoned across the front with a picture of Johnny Reb. I could wear that with a confederate flag dorag and bring in a tobacco spit cup to set on the table. Bet that would get some pretend Rockerfeller's undies in a wad:eek:;);)

Maybe we can sit together at the Captain's Table. I have a shirt that I picked-up in Key West a few years ago that says "I P** in Pools"

I promise that I will keep the shirt tucked into my shorts on Formal Night.

Just my two cents:

I didn't pack any "formal" wear (suits, ties, jackets, etc) on my cruise on the Oasis last month. Each evening I wore a polo shirt and khakis and had no issues anywhere. Interestingly, on one of the formal nights the topic of "appropriate" dress came up in conversation with our Concierge. I asked her to give her honest opinion on the suitableness of my dress. She said, and I quote: "Honey, you look gorgeous." That did it. To my mind, that solidifies the view that suits, ties, etc are no longer necessary on a mass-market cruise line like RCL.

Dress neatly - that's all that matters.