Princess to Screen FIFA World Cup Games on Movies Under the Stars

dmwnc1959

Princess Cruises will delight soccer fans by showing all 64 games of the upcoming FIFA World Cup aboard nine cruise ships during the June 12-July 13 tournament.

The matches will air on the line’s signature Movies Under the Stars® outdoor screens, which have space for hundreds of guests to enjoy the action.

“Our guests won’t miss the excitement of the World Cup while sailing with Princess,” said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. “What better way to enjoy this dynamic tournament than on our giant outdoor movie screens against the backdrop of sea and sky, while enjoying the wonderful amenities of a Princess cruise vacation.”

World Cup games will be shown aboard:

Dawn Princess

Diamond Princess

Emerald Princess

Regal Princess

Royal Princess

Ruby Princess

Sapphire Princess

Sea Princess

Sun Princess

Soccer fans will also enjoy themed entertainment and activities, including World Cup trivia, face painting with favorite team flags, team cheering sections and soccer-themed contests with prizes.

Source: Cruise Industry News

Okay, I'll be the first to say it...

I never imagined that they could think of a way to make MUTS any worse than it already is, but this would be it.

Flame suit on :p

I never imagined that they could think of a way to make MUTS any worse than it already is, but this would be it.

No Flaming from me, I enjoy the odd evening film on MUTS, but I am glad my cruise disembarks before the football starts.

Edited by Pink-belle

I enjoy MUTS but I find this really disappointing. An occasional sporting event is fine, but 64 matches? Really? And why can't this be shown in a sports bar or on one of the tv channels instead. Movies are fairly easy to tune out when lounging by the pool but sporting events not us much, especially when fans are shouting at the screen.

Die-hard soccer fan here. It sure looks like the Alaskan ships have been left out. :confused:

Well, I'm back from Alaska on Star Princess before the US plays their first game, so I guess that's okay, but it certainly would have been nice to watch the early matches...

And to the soccer-haters out there... :p The World Cup is the premier global sporting event. Even the Olympics pale beside it. Go USA! :)

Princess Cruises will delight soccer fans by showing all 64 games of the upcoming FIFA World Cup aboard nine cruise ships during the June 12-July 13 tournament.

The matches will air on the line’s signature Movies Under the Stars® outdoor screens, which have space for hundreds of guests to enjoy the action.

“Our guests won’t miss the excitement of the World Cup while sailing with Princess,” said Jan Swartz, Princess Cruises president. “What better way to enjoy this dynamic tournament than on our giant outdoor movie screens against the backdrop of sea and sky, while enjoying the wonderful amenities of a Princess cruise vacation.”

World Cup games will be shown aboard:

Dawn Princess

Diamond Princess

Emerald Princess

Regal Princess

Royal Princess

Ruby Princess

Sapphire Princess

Sea Princess

Sun Princess

Soccer fans will also enjoy themed entertainment and activities, including World Cup trivia, face painting with favorite team flags, team cheering sections and soccer-themed contests with prizes.

Source: Cruise Industry News

I actually think this awful for those of us who hate soccer as you may as well forget about watching movies during this time. On our British Isles cruise two summers ago, we had no time to enjoy MUTS or movies at night. The Europeans enjoyed it, but I thought it limited our vacation.

Our Baltic cruise is July 6-16 and it looks like we will have four nights of opportunities to use MUTS.

Princess probably does a great bar business among Europeans. Too bad for the rest of us. Watching soccer to many American is equivalent to watching paint dry.

Edited by hubofhockey

Die-hard soccer fan here. It sure looks like the Alaskan ships have been left out. :confused:

The reason is plain and simple. The ratio of Europeans on Alaska cruises is too low to justify taking over MUTS on a ship where most people couldn't care less about soccer.

The reason is plain and simple. The ratio of Europeans on Alaska cruises is too low to justify taking over MUTS on a ship where most people couldn't care less about soccer.

Actually, I think you'd be surprised by how many Americans do care about soccer... :) Anyway, it's probably more to do with noise restrictions in Alaska. I know that when we were docked in Alaskan ports a couple of years ago, they played silent movies or travelogues on MUTS. So why pay for the rights when you can't play the sound? I can always hope that maybe they'll play the games on the internal TV network instead... :p

No flames here! I totally agree... and I'm really glad I'm planning to book for the END of July, after that's over. I've always been glad that they haven't shown any sports while I've been cruising, and I hope to avoid them always! I don't mind the movies, but please no sports!

4 years ago, we were on Ruby for THE Final Game. It was standing room only by the time the game was aired. We were literally walking over feet and legs around the MUTS pool area. Club Fusion had the game on, too, but Fusion was just as crowded as MUTS.

Most of the games will be at night due to the time diference. It is enjoyed by most people in the world, and when the country is playing almost all things stop to watch. Sorry, but the crew and staff as well as the non Americans on the ship will enjoy the matches. When your county wins, the country truely is the world champion.

Actually, I think you'd be surprised by how many Americans do care about soccer... :) Anyway, it's probably more to do with noise restrictions in Alaska. I know that when we were docked in Alaskan ports a couple of years ago, they played silent movies or travelogues on MUTS. So why pay for the rights when you can't play the sound? I can always hope that maybe they'll play the games on the internal TV network instead... :p

Great to know it will be quiet in Alaska. Thanks for posting that.

Sue

• 1 month later...
I enjoy MUTS but I find this really disappointing. An occasional sporting event is fine, but 64 matches? Really? And why can't this be shown in a sports bar or on one of the tv channels instead. Movies are fairly easy to tune out when lounging by the pool but sporting events not us much, especially when fans are shouting at the screen.

I do agree! We HATE football. We will be cruising on the Regal Princess next week. We chose to cruise to get away from the World Cup. I hope that Princess recognise that not everybody likes football. We will be very angry if our cruise is ruined by a concentration on all things football related. We were looking forward to the films that were being advertised for MUTS during our cruise, I hope they will still be shown

I would be so bummed if I was cruising and they were showing the World Cup on MUTS. Since I'm too cheap to watch movies at the theatre, cruising is my chance to catch up on movies that I've heard about but haven't watched.

Edited by akeasley

Well, I for one am thankful that our cruise is port intensive so I don't have to watch football. True football fans are not going to be cruising during the World Cup so why punish the rest of us.

It's possible they might show both movies and the games. That MUTS screen is on ALL the time it seems. There will be TV in the Churchill Lounge (or the equivalent) so there might be fans congregated there. Lots of fans will be on the cruise, I promise, and they won't take kindly to be being characterized as not "true fans." I live with one. We were in Paris a couple of years ago during the World Cup where the streets were thronged with fans, non-stop revelry and noise, and DH was a happy camper. We were there for reasons other than football, but he felt that fortune had smiled on him. It's not possible to please everyone on a ship, and I have learned that tolerating the sports nonsense is less trouble than trying to stop it. :D