Discount for stock holders?

Has anyone seen where Carnival has renewed the Shareholder OBC benefit for sailings beyond July 31, 2015? I'm booked for a long cruise in October and could really use the OBC. I have held the stock for less than a year so I am not aware of when Carnival renews this benefit despite researching this matter. Thanks.

Bob

It's a tad too early for them to renew.

this has been a long time benefit so I suspect it will be renewed.

I have never really noticed when the new dates are published - I just check the policy before I send my fax. Since the close off on the current notification is Feb 28th/15 (cruise must be booked by then), I suspect that a new statement will come out shortly after that.

It's a tad too early for them to renew.

this has been a long time benefit so I suspect it will be renewed.

I have never really noticed when the new dates are published - I just check the policy before I send my fax. Since the close off on the current notification is Feb 28th/15 (cruise must be booked by then), I suspect that a new statement will come out shortly after that.

Thanks.

I believe the stock benefit is confirmed at the AGM every year, and posted shortly after that. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AGM is held in the spring, could be April. I tried to find that on the Carnival Corp website but didn't see it.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I believe the stock benefit is confirmed at the AGM every year, and posted shortly after that. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AGM is held in the spring, could be April. I tried to find that on the Carnival Corp website but didn't see it.

I don't know what "AGM" stands for (Annual ? Meeting?), but if it refers to the annual stockholders' meeting (pretty sure it does), you're right.

The CCL stockholders' on-board credit is renewed at the meeting, and that is held in the spring.

I don't know what "AGM" stands for (Annual ? Meeting?), but if it refers to the annual stockholders' meeting (pretty sure it does), you're right.

The CCL stockholders' on-board credit is renewed at the meeting, and that is held in the spring.

AGM = Annual General Meeting. Thanks for confirming the time frame.

Guess I need to research Carnival Corp stock to see when OBC or other financial benefit - is or is not available plus also check the dividend history to see if it is better than the annual return on our current investments.Does anyone have further clarification about there is no OBC is you are cruising at a reduced rate? We use a TA and get reduced rates and sometimes "group" rates without us being part of our own group.

Edited by qsuzi

Guess I need to research Carnival Corp stock to see when OBC or other financial benefit - is or is not available plus also check the dividend history to see if it is better than the annual return on our current investments.Does anyone have further clarification about there is no OBC is you are cruising at a reduced rate? We use a TA and get reduced rates and sometimes "group" rates without us being part of our own group.

I think you are fine. We use a TA as well and she has put me in a 'group' as well for extra benefits. I got my obc without an issue.

I suspect that refers to really reduced rates, like interline (sp? ) rates, or TA rates.

I think you are fine. We use a TA as well and she has put me in a 'group' as well for extra benefits. I got my obc without an issue.

I suspect that refers to really reduced rates, like interline (sp? ) rates, or TA rates.

Thanks. That is reassuring Kazu. BUT what are interline rates?

Just a reminder that there is only one Shareholder Benefit given per cabin.

We have met a few people who thought that both husband and wife could each buy 100 shares so they could each claim the Benefit.

It doesn't work like that. If you are only buying the stock to get the Benefit, only one of you should buy the 100 shares. No double dipping! 😃

We have found it quick and simple to apply for the Benefit before a cruise. Just make sure you get written confirmation and take it with you. Once my parent's OBC did not show on their account when we boarded. They showed their written confirmation and it was quickly taken care of. We saw another couple with the same issue, but they did not have it in writing. It took them 3 days with emails back and forth to their TA, Seattle, etc. for it to be straightened out.

I prefer to be prepared for those 'just in case" scenarios.

qsuzi...I agree with Kazu.. As another poster explained you would not be involved in discounted fares such as Travel Agent Fares or Interline Rates, which are discounted fares for Airline Employees or their Parents etc..

As an Retired Airline Employee I could take advantage of an Interline Rate, but choose not to do so as those rates are highly restrictive..

We also book through a Travel Agent but can take advantage of his group rates & still receive the OBC for our CCL stock.. We purchased it when it was $18 & change & it has paid off handsomely for us with both dividends & OBC.. Even wish we had purchased more of the stock as it's increased since we purchased it..

If you travel often & on longer cruises IMO it's an excellent stock to have..

qsuzi...I agree with Kazu.. As another poster explained you would not be involved in discounted fares such as Travel Agent Fares or Interline Rates, which are discounted fares for Airline Employees or their Parents etc..

As an Retired Airline Employee I could take advantage of an Interline Rate, but choose not to do so as those rates are highly restrictive..

We also book through a Travel Agent but can take advantage of his group rates & still receive the OBC for our CCL stock.. We purchased it when it was $18 & change & it has paid off handsomely for us with both dividends & OBC.. Even wish we had purchased more of the stock as it's increased since we purchased it..

If you travel often & on longer cruises IMO it's an excellent stock to have..

Thanks so much for this information.

Just in the interest of full disclosure, the benefit is currently set to expire on 7/31/15. The benefit is voted on annually at the shareholders meeting in March and has consistently been approved over at least the last 10 years. Chances are excellent the benefit will be renewed.

Also, the qualifying stock may be purchased after a cruise has been booked, but must have been purchased at least 90 days before sailing date.

There has been some confusion about the benefit for longer cruises. The OBC is $250 per cabin for cruises of 14 days or longer (but the land portion of cruise tours doesn't count in determining the amount of the credit).

The OBC must be applied for directly through HAL. A copy of the email that acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the request should be part of the documents you have with you in case of any misunderstanding on board.

There is no limit on the number of times a shareholder can apply for and be granted the OBC.

Each segment of BTB bookings are considered separate bookings for purposes of determining the amount of the credit. That means a booking of two 7 day cruises will get $200, $100 for each 7 day segment, rather than $250 for a 14 day cruise. Similarly, a booking of a 21 day cruise which is actually a combination of 14 day and a 7 day cruise will get $250 for the 14 day segment and $100 for the 7 day segment rather than just $250 for the entire 21 days.

Of course all of the foregoing is subject to change, but is where things stand currently.

Final caution. Always call ahead to confirm the details for your cruise; don't rely on your Travel Agent to know the specifics because the OBC is a deal available only to shareholders and is not a promotion that is managed by a travel agent.

Contact information:

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

World Cruise Reservations

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Tel 800 522 3399

Fax 206 281 0627

Edited by Host Walt

Just in the interest of full disclosure, the benefit is currently set to expire on 7/31/15. The benefit is voted on annually at the shareholders meeting in March and has consistently been approved over at least the last 10 years. Chances are excellent the benefit will be renewed.

Also, the qualifying stock may be purchased after a cruise has been booked, but must have been purchased at least 90 days before sailing date.

There has been some confusion about the benefit for longer cruises. The OBC is $250 per cabin for cruises of 14 days or longer (but the land portion of cruise tours doesn't count in determining the amount of the credit.

The OBC must be applied for directly through HAL. A copy of the email that acknowledges receipt and acceptance of the request should be part of the documents you have with you in case of any misunderstanding on board.

There is no limit on the number of times a shareholder can apply for and be granted the OBC.

Each segment of BTB bookings are considered separate bookings for purposes of determining the amount of the credit. That means a booking of two 7 day cruises will get $200, $100 for each 7 day segment, rather than $250 for a 14 day cruise. Similarly, a booking of a 21 day cruise which is actually a combination of 14 day and a 7 day cruise will get $250 for the 14 day segment and $100 for the 7 day segment rather than just $250 for the entire 21 days.

Of course all of the foregoing is subject to change, but is where things stand currently.

Final caution. Always call ahead to confirm the details for your cruise; don't rely on your Travel Agent to know the specifics because the OBC is a deal available only to shareholders and is not a promotion that is managed by a travel agent.

Contact information:

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

World Cruise Reservations

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Tel 800 522 3399

Fax 206 281 0627

extremely well said!

Basically you need to be sailing on a 'published' fare to get the OBC. I couldn't get my CCL OBC one cruise as we were part of a deeply discounted group rate through our TA. Interline fares are another example where the OBC wouldn't be allowed. Neither situation is something that the general cruising public would likely encounter.

Sorry but that is definitely NOT TRUE. We have cruised HAL on extremely deeply discounted cruises to their more expensive cruises, once as part of a TA group and paid published fares to special deals thru our TA and we have NEVER had an issue with obtaining our stockholder OBC.

After you book and have your booking number (regardless of how or where you book) you just fax your stock certification to HAL and the OBC is almost immediately applied. Actually our TA often handles this for us and we just send him a current verification of the stock.

On a B2B cruise, you can only 'double dip' the OBC when there are separate booking numbers for each segment. If you only have 1 booking number for the combination cruise, you only get 1 OBC - found this out in Nov when we did a B2B under 1 booking number and the front desk was adamant about this new 'rule' or maybe they were incorrect - I know - shocking as that may be.

Edited by take us away

Sorry but that is definitely NOT TRUE. We have cruised HAL on extremely deeply discounted cruises to their more expensive cruises, once as part of a TA group and paid published fares to special deals thru our TA and we have NEVER had an issue with obtaining our stockholder OBC.

After you book and have your booking number (regardless of how or where you book) you just fax your stock certification to HAL and the OBC is almost immediately applied. Actually our TA often handles this for us and we just send him a current verification of the stock.

I'm sorry but this definitely IS TRUE (to follow your shouting). It happened to me. I related my experience. Are you calling me a liar? :eek: You have no idea of what kind of rate we paid. I had faxed in my proof of ownership as required. It wasn't until we were actually on the ship that I was informed that due to the rate my OBC wasn't permitted. Good for you that you haven't had a problem. I have. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mary Ellen