Rank order cruise lines

mrobstad

I'm just beginning my research. Having never done a river cruise, could you all rank, first--cruise line and secondly, itineraries. It may seem like a stupid question, but I love exploring and learning, and I'm somewhat daunted as a solo, not independently wealthy, avid cruiser. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Here is where a sticky above(or under announcement)would be of service to this type question.

Try using http://www.cruisecritic/river.com and should lead you to all the info you need.

Then when you have some idea of ship,itinerary,etc.We would be glad to answer specific questions.

Most rank them.Luxury(or premium)..Scenic,Tauck,Ama

then hi average.Viking,Uniworld,Avalon.

Lo end..Vantage,Grand Circle,Gate 1.

Look at all the extras,make a comparision sheet.Look at videos,google,lots of info out there.

First go on the website sites of each of the major River cruise companies and order up some of their brochures.

Most are big glossy and beautiful.

The following list is my order and others may feel differently.

Tauck, AMA, Avalon, Uniworld, Scenic, Viking.....

There are a bunch more, once on Vikings list you will have tons of mail for life. Tauck & Uniworld are All-Inclusive so their prices include more.

Because there are so few cabins available vs ocean cruising the prices are significantly more expensive. Also due to few cabins you will find sailings sold out a year in advance or more.

Viking seems to be the only line wanting pmt in full almost immediately upon booking. All other lines seem to collect final payment 90 to 120 days from sailing. One last thing "two for one pricing" is a gimmick, the price shown is the per person cost.

As to itinerary, I believe that is purely a personal choice. Use the search function to read about wonderful journeys. We decided on Amsterdam to Budapest because we could not make up our minds and decided to see it al!

Have a great time researching that is half the fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Here is where a sticky above(or under announcement)would be of service to this type question.

Try using http://www.cruisecritic/river.com and should lead you to all the info you need.

Then when you have some idea of ship,itinerary,etc.We would be glad to answer specific questions.

Look at all the extras,make a comparision sheet.Look at videos,google,lots of info out there.

IMO, I would switch Vantage and Viking

That link doesn't open, but you've both given me a great start! Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

sorry, typed it wrong.,,,,http://www.cruisecritic.com/river.that should work.just tried it.hope it helps get you started.

PS.I prefer cruises that use TAs,since both Grand Circle and Vantage DO NOT,I avoid them.just me.Like the perks of a TA and like hotel style beds,not Pullman,etc.Must choose for yourself whats important.Others can only offer what THEY like.

Uniworld is "average"? There is certainly nothing average about the price and I didn't get the impression that most would rank it a such.

Here we go again.

Uniworld is "average"? There is certainly nothing average about the price and I didn't get the impression that most would rank it a such.

Here we go again.

Grand Circle and Vantage do not use TA, but each offer early booking discounts if paid in full within so many days of booking, then a percentage thereafter. They also credit 5% of that travel towards the next trip. Those two lines are certainly not for everyone, but there are some of us that are very pleased with the product that they do offer.

Everyone has their favorite line--have been on all but Arosa, Scenic and Tauck. They all have their plus and minuses. What is great for one is not liked by another. If you have only tried one line you cannot say it is the best, top of the list or bottom. To me the 3 all inclusive lines, Tauck, Scenic and Uniworld would be at the top. That said someone who does not drink alcohol might not want to pay for what they don't use. It is very difficult to rank although not impossible for a good TA who books more than one line. Good luck finding what is right for you. Pat

Here we go again.

As you can see I put "hi"average.Again only from MY experience and some member reviews I ve seen.When I took them they were not all inclusive,so may rate hi er now.

Would you now rate them "luxury"? Sorry, to each his own.AS I ve said.

I haven't taken a river cruise yet but I would not have booked Uniworld if I did not get the impression from these boards that it is a luxury line. Even CC editors consider it a lux line. I would have booked Tauck but for my timeframe the Rhine/Moselle was already sold out and I got one of the last two cabins on UW.

'Struth - This question must rank in the top 5 of most asked questions on CC River Cruises. To put it simply I think it is totally subjective. I've been reading and posting on these threads now for quite a few years and given the amount of people who take a river cruise the vast majority of them all enjoyed their cruise and would go again - no matter what line or itinerary they choose to cruise on. IMO there is no rating system that would stand the test when it comes to river cruising. If what is offered is what you want then DO IT!

hey H2Otstr-

You seem to have sailed a fair amount on various river lines. My wife and I did Uniworld last month but we are considering doing a Viking next year on the Rhine on one of their new Longships. We loved Uniworld because of the service levels and staff. How do you think we will like Viking?

Thanks!

hey H2Otstr-

You seem to have sailed a fair amount on various river lines. My wife and I did Uniworld last month but we are considering doing a Viking next year on the Rhine on one of their new Longships. We loved Uniworld because of the service levels and staff. How do you think we will like Viking?

Thanks!

I have travelled with both. If you love Uniworld because of the service levels, you might find Viking a bit "wanting" in the overall experience.

We love Uniworld (have travelled with them 3 times) because of their attention to detail. But, they are often on the higher end, and so we are not exclusive Uniworld customers.

Viking does not profess to be 5 star. They offer a good, solid product at a lower price point than Uniworld. That being said, we enjoyed our cruise with them - and we got it at a much lower price that the same cruise would have been with Uniworld.

We look for itinerary, then dates - then price. Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

Try using www.cruisecritic/river.com and should lead you to all the info you need.

We have done Vantage and AMA, loved both of them. We prefer Vantage, since it is less expensive and in our opinion at the same level as AMA.

We found oursleves on a flight to Hong Kong at the end of our Vantage China trip comparing notes with some Viking tourists. Our immigration forms into HK were already filled out by our Vantage PM and the Viking people were asking us how to fill them out. Vantage takes care of you, with the small details as well as the big items.

Our 21 day tour was cheaper than Viking's basic tour and Viking people had to pay even more for a tour extension of southern China-HK.

Further, I would not put Gate 1 in the same class as Vantage. A close examination of a Gate 1 tour shows clear budget accommodations and stripped down river cruises. Vantage provides five star hotel accomodations and rather full tours with river cruises.

You asked about itineraries as well as lines. We've done three Viking Cruises--Cities of Light (Paris to Prague), Romantic Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg), and Tulips and Windmills (Netherlands and Belgium). Of the three, we liked the Cities of Light the best. The scenery on the Moselle and the Rhine Gorge is spectacular, and we visited lots of small towns.

We loved Budapest, but the scenery along the Danube didn't match up with the Moselle and Rhine. The Netherlands and Belgium were fun, but it's VERY flat and most of the cruising was at night.

Some lines offer a Luxembourg to Basel cruise (Often starting in Paris) that looks nice. Hope you find the perfect cruise.

Also, Vantage claims to have the lowest singles supplements, but I haven't checked their claims personally. Vantage does not use travel agents, so you'll have to work through the web site or call them.

Good luck,

FuelScience

hey H2Otstr-

Thanks!

I have not yet traveled on one of Vikings newer boats, but I like their product. I, personally, do not see such a large difference in service (JMHO). Keep in mind that any trip can be good or bad, depending on the weather conditions, the service staff, the program director, etc. We had a HORRIBLE PD on one of our Uniworld trips. We have had wonderful PD's with Viking. It all depends on the person who is in that position, not necessarily the company.