Diabetic Soft Drinks etc

dandam

Hi,

A bit specific I'm afraid. Am new to Princess Cruising, going to Alaska in June on Pacific Princess but I am diabetic so need low sugar drinks. Will they have Schweppes Slimline Tonic on board or do I need to bring a few bottles on with me ? Any other tips from diabetics would be appreciated .......

Also someone mentioned a 'soda' package - does anyone have the details on this ? I have seen the fantastic drinks package spreadsheet but assume this is something different.

Tks. Looking forward to it.

Can't answer about the tonic, but for diet soda it seems they have Diet Coke in the gun (soda package) and that's it. There might be cans of Sprite Zero, but they are not included in the package.

There is also unsweetened iced tea available.

I run into the issue in the evening because I drink diet and caffeine free. That limits me to water.

You can take whatever soft drinks and bottled water onboard that you want. Just put a luggage tag on a case of drinks and leave it the porters with your suitcases that will be delivered to your cabin. Be sure to wrap the case of drinks with packing tape so that the box does not come open.

The only sodas onboard are Coke brands and even those are limited and not much of a choice for diet/sugar free. They do have a good selection of good sugar free deserts.

Hi,

A bit specific I'm afraid. Am new to Princess Cruising, going to Alaska in June on Pacific Princess but I am diabetic so need low sugar drinks. Will they have Schweppes Slimline Tonic on board or do I need to bring a few bottles on with me ? Any other tips from diabetics would be appreciated .......

Also someone mentioned a 'soda' package - does anyone have the details on this ? I have seen the fantastic drinks package spreadsheet but assume this is something different.

Tks. Looking forward to it.

There is no diet tonic water on board but you can bring along all you like. They do have Diet Sprite as well as Diet Coke in cans but you can bring your own there as well.

Mike:)

Can't answer about the tonic, but for diet soda it seems they have Diet Coke in the gun (soda package) and that's it. There might be cans of Sprite Zero, but they are not included in the package.

There is also unsweetened iced tea available.

I run into the issue in the evening because I drink diet and caffeine free. That limits me to water.

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Does the comment re caffeine free mean they don't serve decaffeinated coffee on board ?

Tks,

Hi,

Does the comment re caffeine free mean they don't serve decaffeinated coffee on board ?

Princess absolutely does have decaffeinated coffee!

I'm a Type II diabetic which I control completely by diet and I never have a problem finding sugar free things to drink on Princess ships. :)

LuLu

I'd bring what you like along with if it's convenient. You can get sugar free drinks on Princess but the choices are limited unfortunately. If you bring it; you have it. They will have decaf coffee, but if you require it, be certain you let them know. Language barriers can cause mistakes there sometimes.

I bring packets of Crystal Light, there's several different flavors. I also have Crystal Light margarita mix in the packets as well. I will bring those with me and ask the bartender to mix me a margarita using the Crystal Light, lime juice and tequila. Makes for an almost zero carb drink. Also, we like Cappuccino in our coffee and we bring the D'Vita sugar free, it's really good.

Edited by elliair

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their replies.

Tks,

Not only decaff coffee, they have decaff tea too, although it is not served at afternoon tea.

Edited by AKman2495

Not only decaff coffee, they have decaff tea too, although it is not served at afternoon tea.

You can ask for decaf tea there also.

yup, I always ask for an herbal tea at afternoon tea. they have an orange spice that's really good!

Be careful drinking diet anything IF you don't actually SEE the drink come out of the "gun" nozzle yourself.

My DH's glucoses were out of control for the first few days of our cruise ... It was confusing because I saw exactly what he was eating and the portion sizes.

THEN at dinner, I noticed the table next to our request a refill of their "cokes". It came out of a pitcher. When my DH requested a refill of his "diet coke" , his refill came out of the same pitcher. I immediately pointed this out to both DH and the serving team.

Assistant waiter insisted he did not mix up the drinks, however from that point forward DH only drank diet coke when he saw it come from the drink gun himself. His glucoses were back in his normal range thereafter.

Be careful!

Be careful drinking any decaf coffee, too. I took it only from the International Café (where I saw it poured from the orange pot) or my assistant waiter at dinner, who understood the repercussions if I was served caffeinated coffee, and would actually open the door and look inside the coffee station in the galley to make sure they put the right syrup on the right side. I wouldn't even let our waiter pour it (which became quite a joke).

I don't the Diet Coke on board (because of the caffeine), but loved getting plain soda water with my soda sticker. Sometimes I'd add Crystal Light, and that's quite a chemistry experiment, with lots of bubbling and fizzing.

You can pre-order a soda pkg, too. Later during the cruise you can order this same pkg from Room Service

Canned Soda Package Item #2311

Choose any six sodas listed below in any combination for the price of five: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Diet Sprite, orange soda, soda water, tonic water, ginger ale

$11.75

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/cellars_culinarydelights/princess_cellars/index.jsp

I have a no sugar added/sugar free dessert at dinner each evening. Never had one I didn't like.

There is no diet tonic water on board but you can bring along all you like. They do have Diet Sprite as well as Diet Coke in cans but you can bring your own there as well.

Mike:)

I have just returned from the Royal Transatlantic and was able to get Diet Tonic in the bars. Sometimes they had to go to another one to get it but never refused. There was a charge for it (sometimes) as it didn't come from the gun. It was a bottle that would do 3 spirit drinks for me.