Price drop

SissasMomE

Sorry, but I disagree. It is common knowledge that unless you are sailing with Carnival (and have booked ES rate), there is no compensation for price drops after final payment day, so whether the call is a request, demand, or a threat, the caller knows they are not entitled to any type of compensation and therefore are simply attempting to become the "squeaky wheel" that gets greased.

The fact that someone even looks at the price of their cruise "after" final payment date shows that they will try and be the "squeaky wheel" if given the chance.

Depends on whether the saying applies to the person asking or the person being asked. ;)

I would agree with that saying if the person did not know (and that applies to anything in life, not just cruising) but if a person already knows and still asks, in my opinion, they are just being greedy.

As I stated before, why would a person even look at cruise prices for their cruise if they are already past final payment date? Since one knows they are not eligible for anything after that date, what's the point.......unless they are specifically looking to be the "squeaky wheel" waiting to be greased.

You say it is common knowledge that there is no compensation after final payment. How then do you you account for all the people, including myself, who have related the exact opposite. I have been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite for little more than the price of a few drinks, and got additional OBC thrown in. When prices dropped again on that same cruise, my TA called back and I was granted additional OBC.

I realize NCL is under no obligation to do anything after final payment. Heck, they are really under no obligation even BEFORE final payment are they? I never expect or demand anything. When I initiate a call, it is to simply inquire if anything is possible. If the answer is no, then the answer is no.

But I think it is pretty common knowledge that free upgrades, very low $ upsells, and extra OBCs are sometimes granted.. And I don't think that asking after price drops makes me "greedy". It just makes me a smart shopper.:)

As I stated before, why would a person even look at cruise prices for their cruise if they are already past final payment date? Since one knows they are not eligible for anything after that date, what's the point.......unless they are specifically looking to be the "squeaky wheel" waiting to be greased.

Lots of reasons, but mostly to continue to do research about the cost for future cruises. I keep a spreadsheet of what we spend on each vacation, and also track the booking dates. If I travel the same time every year, I'm going to pay attention to when the price breaks occur and the changes in price closer to sailing. I couldn't care less about getting something from the cruise line, or even asking. And I couldn't care less if your myopic view of the world can't understand that.

You say it is common knowledge that there is no compensation after final payment. How then do you you account for all the people, including myself, who have related the exact opposite. I have been upgraded to a Penthouse Suite for little more than the price of a few drinks, and got additional OBC thrown in. When prices dropped again on that same cruise, my TA called back and I was granted additional OBC.

I realize NCL is under no obligation to do anything after final payment. Heck, they are really under no obligation even BEFORE final payment are they? I never expect or demand anything. When I initiate a call, it is to simply inquire if anything is possible. If the answer is no, then the answer is no.

But I think it is pretty common knowledge that free upgrades, very low $ upsells, and extra OBCs are sometimes granted.. And I don't think that asking after price drops makes me "greedy". It just makes me a smart shopper.:)

I don't think anyone is saying your shouldn't ask, but just don't expect to get anything. Be happy if you do and enjoy your cruise whether you do or don't. Yes, sometimes upgrades do happen, OBC not as common, but no line, unless you are on a special promo adjust the price when rates drop after the final payment. This is true with hotels and airlines as well

I don't think anyone is saying your shouldn't ask, but just don't expect to get anything. Be happy if you do and enjoy your cruise whether you do or don't. Yes, sometimes upgrades do happen, OBC not as common, but no line, unless you are on a special promo adjust the price when rates drop after the final payment. This is true with hotels and airlines as well

Well, I think some people ARE saying you shouldn't ask.:rolleyes:.

I agree there can be no expectations. And no, the cruise line is not going to credit someone's bank card if the prices drop after final. But I often see statements made here that "nothing can be done after final payment" and this is simply not true. They certainly will often offer upgrades for no $, when available and possible based on how they determine that fact, or upsells for a truly discount price. I got a great upsell to a penthouse and then when prices fell further, they granted additional OBC for a % of the amount of the drop.

So things are certainly possible after final payment. They are not guaranteed however and no one should be unhappy if they are told nothing can be done. So I will continue to monitor prices, and ask nicely on occasion. If that makes me "greedy" then so be it.;).

Sorry, but I disagree. It is common knowledge that unless you are sailing with Carnival (and have booked ES rate), there is no compensation for price drops after final payment day, so whether the call is a request, demand, or a threat, the caller knows they are not entitled to any type of compensation and therefore are simply attempting to become the "squeaky wheel" that gets greased.

The fact that someone even looks at the price of their cruise "after" final payment date shows that they will try and be the "squeaky wheel" if given the chance.

You can disagree all you want but that doesn't change the fact many, many people call after final payment and do request compensation due to a price drop. They then do indeed get some form of compensation. Facts are facts no matter how much you refuse to accept them.

P.S. I call it a request because that is exactly what it is. A demand is something entirely different. I learned that in grade school.

Wow you are way off base. People check cruise prices all the time; before booking and while booked. My last Epic cruise dropped $600 a month before sailing. I was not a "squeaky wheel." My final payment had been made so I was aware I could not get the new price. I simply emailed my PCC at NCL and I got $165 more OBC. Some people get cabin upgrades and the PCC will always tell you to come back if the price drops. No entitlement, no squeaky wheel, no demanding, ........as you state.

Seems you are upset if someone gets a better deal or something. Is someone being a squeaky wheel shopping around from NCL to travel agents trying to get the best deal?

Edited by david_sobe

Depends on whether the saying applies to the person asking or the person being asked. ;)

I would agree with that saying if the person did not know (and that applies to anything in life, not just cruising) but if a person already knows and still asks, in my opinion, they are just being greedy.

I agree with you on this. We have read many posts from people who have been given OBC after final payment, but I still agree. Why even bother to check?

I agree with you on this. We have read many posts from people who have been given OBC after final payment, but I still agree. Why even bother to check?

You said it yourself. A large percentage of people who called after final payment were granted OBC. That's money they save that they don't have to bring on board. What percentage of cruisers do you think constantly check prices? Probably a very small percentage. I am also willing to wager that the ones that are constantly checking prices are also frequent cruisers. So its a smart thing for the cruise companies to give those that call after final payment a little something because its costing them relatively little and increasing customer loyalty and positive word of mouth from their customers.

Calling to request an upgrade with you paying more and calling and asking for OBC for your cabin that costs less after final payment are two enitrely differently animals.

Yes, before final payment, they do have an obligation as you can cancel your cruise and receive a full refund. I agree that sometimes freebies are granted after final payment date......again refer to greasing the "squeaky wheel". A smart shopper looks to find the best price within the confines of the rules, a greedy person looks for the best price when they do not deserve the price they are requesting.

Carnival does this all the time with ES rate. You can get price drops up to 2 business days prior to sailing. This is not a special promo but one that is available for every cruise. But there are other restrictions one has to consider.

You can disagree all you want but that doesn't change the fact many, many people call after final payment and do request compensation due to a price drop. They then do indeed get some form of compensation. Facts are facts no matter how much you refuse to accept them.

P.S. I call it a request because that is exactly what it is. A demand is something entirely different. I learned that in grade school.

What facts are there that I disagree with other than some people don't care for the rules they voluntarily signed up for and then refuse to honor?

Wow you are way off base. People check cruise prices all the time; before booking and while booked. My last Epic cruise dropped $600 a month before sailing. I was not a "squeaky wheel." My final payment had been made so I was aware I could not get the new price. I simply emailed my PCC at NCL and I got $165 more OBC. Some people get cabin upgrades and the PCC will always tell you to come back if the price drops. No entitlement, no squeaky wheel, no demanding, ........as you state.

Seems you are upset if someone gets a better deal or something. Is someone being a squeaky wheel shopping around from NCL to travel agents trying to get the best deal?

Sure, call it what you want. You weren't entitled to OBC, you knew you weren't, and yet you still pursued the matter (aka squeaky wheel). :rolleyes:

Me irritated by what other people paid for their cruise? Hardly (that statement made me laugh out loud). I couldn't care less how little or how much you paid for your cruise and I'm definitely not upset by what someone else paid. I am happy with the price I pay from the time I book it, it's that simple. If I wasn't, I wouldn't book it. I do check prices prior to final payment date and request (within the rules) to have the price adjusted to the new lower price but after final payment date, I don't care where the price goes and don't check as I know I am not entitled to anything anyway.

Sure, call it what you want. You weren't entitled to OBC, you knew you weren't, and yet you still pursued the matter (aka squeaky wheel). :rolleyes:

Me irritated by what other people paid for their cruise? Hardly (that statement made me laugh out loud). I couldn't care less how little or how much you paid for your cruise and I'm definitely not upset by what someone else paid. I am happy with the price I pay from the time I book it, it's that simple. If I wasn't, I wouldn't book it. I do check prices prior to final payment date and request (within the rules) to have the price adjusted to the new lower price but after final payment date, I don't care where the price goes and don't check as I know I am not entitled to anything anyway.

Wow arent you the pot calling the kettle black. Here you are trashing people for checking cruise prices after they book and you do the same (just not after final payment). All of what you say makes no sense.

I see you rarely ever cruise NCL. But here is some information. My PCC at NCL tells me to check prices after booking. I book cruises sometimes well over a year in advance. To equate price checking to people complaining about entitlement is really out of left field. There is no complaining. I did not even call. I emailed my PCC. This is how companies are successful. Customers are free to price check and cruise customers can get cabin upgrades too. Why does this freak you out so much. I had to laugh out loud that you think I was not "entitled" to $165 OBC. Your posts are very mean spirited and I quite dont understand the logic.

Lets review:

OP posts that her Thanksgiving cruise dropped $500 to alert others they could save money. Then you chime in that anyone that checks for prices after final payment are squeeky wheels complaining to get something they are not entitled to. Huh?

You do realize that some pay off a cruise right away and not make payments over the year. Nothing wrong with customers checking prices. No matter if they get OBC or a cabin upgrade, they are STILL paying fair market prices for their cabin and cruise. How strange you dont understand that.

Under your logic anyone who books a last minute deal on a cruise is greedy, not playing by the rules, not entitled to that price. Your quote to Love My Butler is people are violating rules and refuse to honor rules because of a price drop. Just wow! Amazing!

Edited by david_sobe

You said it yourself. A large percentage of people who called after final payment were granted OBC. That's money they save that they don't have to bring on board. What percentage of cruisers do you think constantly check prices? Probably a very small percentage. I am also willing to wager that the ones that are constantly checking prices are also frequent cruisers. So its a smart thing for the cruise companies to give those that call after final payment a little something because its costing them relatively little and increasing customer loyalty and positive word of mouth from their customers.

Oh I know. I just wouldn't want to be "the one" who gets nothing and then gets aggravated by it LOL I just can't be bothered once final passes. Up until that point though - I'm checking all the time! :D

Calling to request an upgrade with you paying more and calling and asking for OBC for your cabin that costs less after final payment are two enitrely differently animals.

Yes, before final payment, they do have an obligation as you can cancel your cruise and receive a full refund. I agree that sometimes freebies are granted after final payment date......again refer to greasing the "squeaky wheel". A smart shopper looks to find the best price within the confines of the rules, a greedy person looks for the best price when they do not deserve the price they are requesting.

You make it sound as though those of us who do call are somehow browbeating NCL into giving us something. I don't think NCL does anything they do not want to do or which is not within their "rules". They will simply tell you no.

I never call to ask for OBC. I only call if there are price drops for categories higher than my own, and then I merely inquire about possibilities for upgrades. NCL will then make an offer which I am free to accept or decline. If no upgrade possibilities exist, then sometimes OBC is offered. I never ask for it, but if it is offered, I will graciously accept. Is there a rule that you cannot upgrade or upsell to a higher category after final payment? It seems to me that NCL wins in this situation too. They have gotten some more money out of me for a harder to sell higher priced cabin, and can then resell my cheaper, easier to sell one.

Wow arent you the pot calling the kettle black. Here you are trashing people for checking cruise prices after they book and you do the same (just not after final payment). All of what you say makes no sense.

I see you rarely ever cruise NCL. But here is some information. My PCC at NCL tells me to check prices after booking. I book cruises sometimes well over a year in advance. To equate price checking to people complaining about entitlement is really out of left field. There is no complaining. I did not even call. I emailed my PCC. This is how companies are successful. Customers are free to price check and cruise customers can get cabin upgrades too. Why does this freak you out so much. I had to laugh out loud that you think I was not "entitled" to $165 OBC. Your posts are very mean spirited and I quite dont understand the logic.

Lets review:

OP posts that her Thanksgiving cruise dropped $500 to alert others they could save money. Then you chime in that anyone that checks for prices after final payment are squeeky wheels complaining to get something they are not entitled to. Huh?

You do realize that some pay off a cruise right away and not make payments over the year. Nothing wrong with customers checking prices. No matter if they get OBC or a cabin upgrade, they are STILL paying fair market prices for their cabin and cruise. How strange you dont understand that.

Under your logic anyone who books a last minute deal on a cruise is greedy, not playing by the rules, not entitled to that price. Your quote to Love My Butler is people are violating rules and refuse to honor rules because of a price drop. Just wow! Amazing!

OMG! Hardly. :rolleyes:

It is completely within the rules to request price reductions prior to final payment date (or completely cancel your cruise entirely if you wish). It is not within the rules to do so after final payment date. I guess technicalities aren't your thing. :rolleyes:

It is true, I have only cruised NCL 1 time but have two more cruises booked for Thanksgiving this year and 2 weeks next year in Alaska (not that it matters in the slightest). What does that have to do with the honor and integrity of following the rules or wasting someone's time asking for something you know you're not entitled to?

And if you paid closer attention, I did not (do not) have any problem with the OPs post. She is clearly within the rules for requesting a price reduction. I quoted someone else's post (guess you missed that fine point as well).

Edited by Out to sea!

You clearly would not understand (accept?) it if I pointed it out to you again. Life is too short.

Give it a whirl (as if I except any sort of civilized answer anyway). Go ahead and tell me why you feel you deserve or have the nerve to ask for something you are clearly not entitled to.

Edited by Out to sea!

Oh I know. I just wouldn't want to be "the one" who gets nothing and then gets aggravated by it LOL I just can't be bothered once final passes. Up until that point though - I'm checking all the time! :D

So if you were booked in a balcony and you could be in an aft facing penthouse for $100 more, when pieces dropped after final, you would not want to know about it and perhaps get yourself upsold? Or maybe a free upgrade from inside to OV?

For me, this is the whole point of keeping an eye on prices, both before and after final.

Edited by punkincc

You make it sound as though those of us who do call are somehow browbeating NCL into giving us something. I don't think NCL does anything they do not want to do or which is not within their "rules". They will simply tell you no.

I never call to ask for OBC. I only call if there are price drops for categories higher than my own, and then I merely inquire about possibilities for upgrades. NCL will then make an offer which I am free to accept or decline. If no upgrade possibilities exist, then sometimes OBC is offered. I never ask for it, but if it is offered, I will graciously accept. Is there a rule that you cannot upgrade or upsell to a higher category after final payment? It seems to me that NCL wins in this situation too. They have gotten some more money out of me for a harder to sell higher priced cabin, and can then resell my cheaper, easier to sell one.

Actually, according to many posts I have read on other threads, that is exactly what is portrayed.....people browbeating NCL (or other lines) to get something they clearly are not supposed to get and them come here and complain about it. But I have yet to see anyone answer why they call for something they know they are not entitled to (again, unless they are the squeaky wheel). Is it because they are afraid something else will get something they didn't? Or because they believe NCL is giving out all the freebies and they want theirs too? Please, just simply answer why people are wasting NCLs time calling, requesting, browbeating, begging for something they know they are not supposed to have? And no, as I've already stated, there is no rule requesting a paid for upgrade to a higher cat, I'm sure NCL loves that. But requesting free upgrades or OBC simply because the price is now lower (after final payment date), well, is just plain tacky, IMO.

Edited by Out to sea!

So if you were booked in a balcony and you could be in an aft facing penthouse for $100 more, when pieces dropped after final, you would not want to know about it and perhaps get yourself upsold? Or maybe a free upgrade from inside to OV?

For me, this is the whole point of keeping an eye on prices, both before and after final.

Nah. If I wanted that cabin, I would have booked it beforehand. That's just me though.

Agreed.

I'm watching the prices for my upcoming Alaska cruise, to see if I can upgrade from a OV to a balcony. Price has dropped a couple hundred, but it's still more than I'm willing to spend. Still have a couple months :)

Nah. If I wanted that cabin, I would have booked it beforehand. That's just me though.

Seriously? I guess money is no object for you then?;). You would just shell out an extra $1000 or so you could maybe not afford rather than book what was in your budget at the time? And then if prices dropped by $500 per person and you could get that cabin for the same price as the balcony you had, you would not want to take advantage of that? You are taking blasé to a whole new level.:cool:

I myself would rather not pay the Haven or Suite prices that sometimes exist when I book, usually well in advance. So I will just monitor prices and hope for price drops and maybe someday save myself some cash.