Serious question about roll calls

txflood33

Did you have a meet and greet? If so was the cruise line told it was a Cruise Critic group.

We had an informal Meet & Greet on embarkation day right after the Muster drill at one of the bars on the Lido deck. Out of a group of approximately 50 people, maybe ten stopped by to say "hello". Because so many in our group bought the "Cheers" package (this was on Carnival), no one wanted to pay extra for a one hour cocktail party. We actually had a better turnout for an organized group tour in St. Thomas. That was a fun day!:D

I've noticed that sometimes a person will post on a roll call that they'll be on that particular cruise, and they'd be interested in information regarding pre-cruise hotels, or seeking excursion information, but not necessarily interested in a Meet & Greet.

Exactly! The Roll Call is just a place to chat with others on the same cruise and exchange information.

Unfortunately, some feel if they post on the roll call, it obligates them to attend the M&G. It doesn't! :)

LuLu

Exactly! The Roll Call is just a place to chat with others on the same cruise and exchange information.

Unfortunately, some feel if they post on the roll call, it obligates them to attend the M&G. It doesn't! :)

LuLu

There's always the likelihood that someone posting on a roll call is cruising with a large family or group of friends and doesn't want to put their family or friends in a possibly uncomfortable situation by meeting a group of strangers that they may or may not like.

There's always the likelihood that someone posting on a roll call is cruising with a large family or group of friends and doesn't want to put their family or friends in a possibly uncomfortable situation by meeting a group of strangers that they may or may not like.

I find that part of the fun, making my group or family attend a M & G that they know nothing about.;)

I find that part of the fun, making my group or family attend a M & G that they know nothing about.;)

Just be sure you register all those unsuspecting friends for the M&G when going on Royal Caribbean. In Feb. the RC person was very annoyed, to say the least, at the people who just showed up without regestering.;)

I enjoy meeting a few new people. Sometimes there are connections and sometimes there are not. No harm either way. Some good information and ideas have been shared as well. I don't have too much interest in a private tour with others but I am interested to hear what others plan on doing in ports and find things I hadn't seen or thought of.

As for my room number, well it's not hard to guess when you're on a small ship and they know you have mobility issues. There are only about 5 or so rooms total that I could be in based on just that knowledge. What I do have a problem with is giving out my real name... which I do not do. When I meet them in person I will share that if I'm comfortable with them.

Well, to be accurate, ALL cruise lines post the cabin number on or near the door. :D How else would you find your room? ;)

LOL Boogs -- good catch! Can you tell that I hadn't had my first cup of coffee, when I posted that? :p

Just be sure you register all those unsuspecting friends for the M&G when going on Royal Caribbean. In Feb. the RC person was very annoyed, to say the least, at the people who just showed up without regestering.;)

Taking it one step further, at one of our RCI Meet and Mingles, the person who won the "big" door prize (it was a nice dinner for two at Portofino) hadn't registered, hadn't even posted, not once. She had been lurking and just showed up to the meeting. I mean, it was a little awkward, IMO. *shrug*

Taking it one step further, at one of our RCI Meet and Mingles, the person who won the "big" door prize (it was a nice dinner for two at Portofino) hadn't registered, hadn't even posted, not once. She had been lurking and just showed up to the meeting. I mean, it was a little awkward, IMO. *shrug*

We had the same problem on oasis. Someone that had never posted to the roll call and was not talking to anyone else one the big prize.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We had the same problem on oasis. Someone that had never posted to the roll call and was not talking to anyone else one the big prize.

If someone does not have the invitation from registering, they should not be permitted in. I suppose it's another case of not wanting to upset a passenger. People continue to do those kind of things because either, they know they will be accommodated or else, they'll make a big enough stink about not getting in.

On RCI, Celebrity and Azamara, the Connections Party is not inclusive to members of a roll call on Cruise Critic. Any Cruise Critic member can register, whether or not they are part of the roll call. They do not have to post on your roll call to be included. It is a Cruise Critic function, not a roll call function. If you want only people who know on your roll call to participate, you need to organize your own private gathering, not one sponsored by Celebrity for Cruise Critic members.

Edited by boogs

Off-topic, Sherilyn - how are you doing? :)

Hanging in there. The existing tumors were finally showing signs of dying... And then I got hit again this week with bad news. We have found another tumor. I am getting more testing done Monday and discussing options on Tuesday. This one may be surgically removable if my platelets go up just a bit more (currently at 42k, they'd like over 50k and 115k is a normal level). I'm desperately counting down the 3 weeks till my next cruise. I need a break from everything going on.

If someone does not have the invitation from registering, they should not be permitted in. I suppose it's another case of not wanting to upset a passenger. People continue to do those kind of things because either, they know they will be accommodated or else, they'll make a big enough stink about not getting in.

A point:

If someone has not signed with Royal for the M and G, they do not have the invitation, and hence cannot participate in the draw...since the raffle tickets are the stubs from the invitation, right?

So, perhaps the person that the above posters are talking about, may have registered with Royal but may have not posted on the cruise critic roll call much?

A point:

If someone has not signed with Royal for the M and G, they do not have the invitation, and hence cannot participate in the draw...since the raffle tickets are the stubs from the invitation, right?

So, perhaps the person that the above posters are talking about, may have registered with Royal but may have not posted on the cruise critic roll call much?

On our cruise all you had to do was tel them you didn't get am invite, they were happy to give you one on the spot.

On RCI, Celebrity and Azamara, the Connections Party is not inclusive to members of a roll call on Cruise Critic. Any Cruise Critic member can register, whether or not they are part of the roll call. They do not have to post on your roll call to be included. It is a Cruise Critic function, not a roll call function. If you want only people who know on your roll call to participate, you need to organize your own private gathering, not one sponsored by Celebrity for Cruise Critic members.

That is correct, we did register with the Celebrity Connections Party. This party was sponsored by Celebrity, not Cruise Critic. We did not post on any cruise critic roll call, nor did we attend. We were invited by Celebrity, not Cruise Critic.

Thanks for the report and I'm sorry it isn't better news at this time. :( I'm not sure if you are a woman of faith, but I have prayed for you. Have a great time on your cruise.

Thank you, it is much appreciated.

I'm focusing on gathering our informal meet and greet on HAL at this point since I stoped working in March.