Granddaughter due -- how to get messages

Our DOL's due date falls during our cruise. Yes, I know -- poor planning on our part. Anyway, we don't really want to keep our phone on during the entire cruise. What's the best way for our son or DOL to get a message to us if she goes into labor? If it matters, we're cruising on the Liberty with Carnival.

As long as your presence is not essential, you will have to live with the delay. If an email is sent when she goes into labor and another when she delivers, and you make a point of hitting an Internet cafe at every port, you will be kept in reasonably timely notification. Or you could check your email every day on the ship - keeping connect time short can hold down cost. If you are really antsy, you could go on line for a minute several times a day.

No, we'll enjoy the rest of our cruise and then head home afterwards. It's their first baby though (our fifth grandchild) and so they would feel much better if they knew there was a way to reach us.

My suggestion would be for them to e-mail you, and then you can just check your e-mails periodically during the cruise.

email text message

they can send you a text message that will go to your email, and you can send an email that will come to them as text message, for their phones standard charges will apply, which can be free or 10 cents, and for you it will be free since you're on email, then its the matter at how promptly they will reply to your email text messages

this is basically the tutorial, try it now with your own phone to see how it works, once they get your email text message they simply have to reply it

Alltel: phonenumber@message.alltel.com2

AT&T: phonenumber@txt.att.net

T-Mobile: phonenumber@tmomail.net

Virgin Mobile: phonenumber@vmobl.com

Sprint: phonenumber@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Verizon: phonenumber@vtext.com

Nextel: phonenumber@messaging.nextel.com

US Cellular: phonenumber@mms.uscc.net

Your family can reach you on the ship's emergency #....you don't need to keep your cell on all the time! If you're not in your cabin, they can leave a message! Nothing you can do, anyway, except get excited!

email text message

they can send you a text message that will go to your email, and you can send an email that will come to them as text message, for their phones standard charges will apply, which can be free or 10 cents, and for you it will be free since you're on email, then its the matter at how promptly they will reply to your email text messages

this is basically the tutorial, try it now with your own phone to see how it works, once they get your email text message they simply have to reply it

Sigh. Was going to respond to this, but what's the point? The expert in shipboard communication has been heard from again.

email text message

What makes you think sending an email from a ship, whether on cell phone or otherwise, would be free? Your misinformation is amazing. Have you ever been on a ship, or travelled anywhere?

What makes you think sending an email from a ship, whether on cell phone or otherwise, would be free? Your misinformation is amazing. Have you ever been on a ship, or travelled anywhere?

Since he has decided to spread his ignorance to threads other than his own, I was going to point out to him that the OP was more interested in keeping cost down than a tutorial in texting, but you've done a good job with it. Not much gets me worked up on these boards, but he's topping the list right now.

Since he has decided to spread his ignorance to threads other than his own, I was going to point out to him that the OP was more interested in keeping cost down than a tutorial in texting, but you've done a good job with it. Not much gets me worked up on these boards, but he's topping the list right now.

We were in the British Isles this past year and used the "whatsapp" app to communicate with family in the US. Of course, I believe that you have to have an I-phone to be able to download this app, but it is free the first year

.99 the next year and all texting is free. Just another suggestion.

Cole

We were in the British Isles this past year and used the "whatsapp" app to communicate with family in the US. Of course, I believe that you have to have an I-phone to be able to download this app, but it is free the first year

.99 the next year and all texting is free. Just another suggestion.

Cole

Not familiar with this, but I assume you were on land using it? There are plenty of ways to communicate via cell for cheap/free while in port. I believe the OP was looking for ways to do this while onboard the ship, where the ship's cell provider sets the rates.

Be sure that they know how to call the ship and what your cabin number is. If you are not in the cabin, they can leave a message and you can call them back directly from your cabin. Also, have them send photos via email ASAP. The ship to shore call will be expensive but, in this case, well worth it.

Are you on the eastern or western itinerary? If it's eastern, St. Thomas and Puerto Rico don't have additional costs on most US cell plans--they are considered domestic, so you can leave the phone on while in port and make all the calls you wish. For the other ports, I would simply spend the small amount per call and call home once a day. We're talking under $1 per minute, and in one minute you can get the scoop on what is happening.

You can communicate via the carnival message forums for free.

Open a new topic in the Who's on board section. You can post there and so can anyone else with a carnival account.

The Carnival website can be accessed for free on board the ship.

It won't be private, but you can get the information that you want!

Open a new topic in the Who's on board section. You can post there and so can anyone else with a carnival account.

;) Great idea!!

I'll second the great idea nomination!

This is what I was looking for but couldn't remember where to find this function. I know someone here would know. THANKS!

Keep your phone on and data setting off. Text is the cheapest. About .50 cents.

If my daughter was expecting I wouldn't sweat a $6 phone call. :rolleyes:

Edited by GradySRQ

What's that old saying, "ignorance is bliss"? He is extremely blissful.