over weight and not sure

xrayzer73x

My husband wants to take a cruise in September for our 15th wedding anaversery but im not sure if Iwant to im 36 and 350lbs at 5foot 5 I have thyroid problems and its had to lose so I don't even own a swimsuit if I swim its in shorts and t shirt I don't want to go and feel uncomfortable being so large any advice would be great

Enjoy your cruise and your anniversary. If you and he are happy together - who else matters?! click on some blogs with photo's of the real people on a cruise, not the advertisements and you will see such a variety of people. And you know - I have some friends who are size 4 and THEY have body issues when they see themselves [can't figure that one out myself, but hey....]

Thanks to the posts for swimwear for voluptuous women - I'm going to check them out. Nothing worse than trying to force my curves into a swim suit made for a stick - even when its the "same" size.

The commercials you see on TV "do not" reflect the true passengers that you find on any cruise ship on any given day. Go and have a good time.

The only cruise I've ever been on where there were very, very few people over a size 12 and most well under that was my recent French Polynesia cruise. Those numbers are probably a bit skewed due to 25% of the passengers being Japanese, although even among the Americans, the majority of people were slender and very physically fit. It was the first time I've been on a cruise where half the women on board were a size 8 or smaller, and there were more than a few 00's. :eek:

Happy anniversary! A cruise is a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary. Please don't worry about anything. Relax and enjoy yourselves. May this be the first of many more cruises.

Happy sailing and smooth seas!

Real life passengers on cruise ships do not look like the models that are in all of the cruise line brochures and ads. It is a microcosm of the real world on board. Go on the cruise and enjoy yourself. Everyone is focused into their own vacations, so there is no need to be self conscious. In the unlikely event that someone has too much time on their hands and is judgmental, feel sorry for them, since they are obviously not cruising the right way. I don't ever think about how others look. I am on a cruise to enjoy the time with my family and friends if they join us. Everything else becomes a background blur (even before we start on the frosty adult beverages! ;)).

Eric

Edited by Pomperaugrr

Yay for you! So glad you are going. You will not be the most overweight on the cruise, and I'd say the averagel passenger is on the 'fluffy' side. Ads are just ads; very few people actually on the ships look like the models in the ads.

Thanks so much im looking at some of the websites for suits and some are so cute

Yea! You are welcome, and they are cute suits. See how your confidence has grown just in this thread? Like we said, please don't worry. I think it's fabulous that your hubby wants to take you for an anniversary cruise!

The only cruise I've ever been on where there were very, very few people over a size 12 and most well under that was my recent French Polynesia cruise. Those numbers are probably a bit skewed due to 25% of the passengers being Japanese, although even among the Americans, the majority of people were slender and very physically fit. It was the first time I've been on a cruise where half the women on board were a size 8 or smaller, and there were more than a few 00's. :eek:

Wow, you are very observant.

I am always a bit embarrassed to not notice such things and if someone comments, that would be the first I'd have an idea what percentage of women and/or men wore what clothing size. :D :eek:

I don't have enough interest, I suppose, to bother spending the energy making note. But it is interesting to r ead.

Not trying to be rude, but are you really going to let your weight stop you from cruising??? :eek: On my first cruise, I was 70 pounds heavier than I am now (and I'm still not tiny), but I still went on my cruise and had a great time! Being ashamed of your weight is no way to live! Go on the cruise and have fun! As another poster said, you will not be the only overweight person on the ship.

Wow, you are very observant.

I am always a bit embarrassed to not notice such things and if someone comments, that would be the first I'd have an idea what percentage of women and/or men wore what clothing size. :D :eek:

I don't have enough interest, I suppose, to bother spending the energy making note. But it is interesting to r ead.

The women were generally dressed in such nice clothing that it was hard not to notice their beautiful figures.

I'm so glad you're going! I'm about to go on my third cruise, all with Princess. I'm in your size range as well. I'm not so confident as many of the people here (good for you all!) So I stuck to swimming at the more private pools at night. I wear a long beachy skirt and a hoodie over my suit when I walk to and from the pool, because it's what I'm comfortable in, then slip out of those and into the pool as fast as possible lol. I love to swim, but not in front of a bunch of other people.

The cabin showers are a bit tight, but not unmanageable. Luckily we got a mini suite for our next on Grand Princess, and that has a tub/shower combo. The booths in the dining rooms can be a bit tight, but I prefer them to chairs so I make it work. My one main suggestion is, if you are like me and don't normally wear shape wear.. skip it. I had so much more fun when I was 'free', even if I had a couple rolls. The night I wore spanx under pants was the WORST. I went to the room directly after dinner to change, it made me feel so much more self conscious (and out of breath!) Just do what you are comfortable with, and have fun!

I'm glad you are going too! I'm sure you will have an awesome time. Life is far too short to let what others may or may not think limit what you do.

You may be surprised to know that the body size “problem” swings both ways too. I'm 5' 6”/ 115lb, and was once stopped in a corridor on a cruise by a large woman/complete stranger who said, “Girl, do you even eat?!”. A few days later – in an elevator full of people - the same woman asked me really loudly whether I was on my way to the “itsy bitsy club”. I laughed it off, but it was certainly odd!

Edited by KizuriSeascape

I'm glad you are going too! I'm sure you will have an awesome time. Life is far too short to let what others may or may not think limit what you do.

You may be surprised to know that the body size “problem” swings both ways too. I'm 5' 6”/ 115lb, and was once stopped in a corridor on a cruise by a large woman/complete stranger who said, “Girl, do you even eat?!”. A few days later – in an elevator full of people - the same woman asked me really loudly whether I was on my way to the “itsy bitsy club”. I laughed it off, but it was certainly odd!

How rude. Of course, if you had made any kind of comment about her size she would have been furious.

How rude. Of course, if you had made any kind of comment about her size she would have been furious.

Agreed! And 5'6" and 115 is slender, but certainly not emaciated. I weighed 103 at 5'7" when I graduated high school and still had hips and boobs.

As others have stated, you will not be alone. I see all shapes and sizes onboard. The great thing about being on a cruise is the fact that you are in the majority. I would hazard to say that 85% of the people are overweight. Nobody really cares how big you are. Go and have a good time.

I have read what others have written and I agree with a lot.

I wanted to share my expirience. Background---I have always been over weight and in my adult years ( I am 33 now) I have yo yoed in weight. I would lose 50 and gain 55. lose 40 gain 50. Last go around I lost 80 and was doing really well until I started having severe pain in my abdomen and found out I had gall stones and all due to my weight loss. Go figure. 3 weeks after sugury and on my way back up to 80+ back in weight.

Thoughout that time, I have always loved to travel. My mentality has always been this... I am going on vacation and I am going to have a good time. ME MYSELF and I paid for this trip, not anyone else. I learned to not care what anyone else thought of how I looked. I always try to dress my body in a way that is appropriate. I know I cannot wear a skin tight dress, and I dont. I wear what I am comfortable in, do what i want to and have a great time. There have been times where my dinner mates why were skinny as twigs would eat more then me! Anyways just my 2 cents.

The only time I feel uuncomfortable is when I am flying. Big part of vacation. But I have not had anyone say anyting to me so all is well:)

Good luck and I really really hope you decide to go! It is sooooo much fun!!!!