Self-serve Laundry

Carolinagirl7340

Washing is $2 per load and drying is the same if I remember correctly. Sometimes, it takes longer than 1 drying cycle to get your clothes dry.

You cannot put it on your OBC. You can either bring your own detergent and dryer sheets (or those 3-n-1 sheets people here seem to love) or buy it onboard in the laundry room. You'll need more quarters for that too. Sometimes the detergent machines have problems so you may have to go to another laundry room to get what you need. I always bring my own since they don't have the detergent I like.

The change machines are often out of quarters, so it's best to bring your own. You can always get change at the Purser's Desk, but it's a pain to have to walk all the way down there, get the quarters and go back to the (usually) aft laundry rooms where by then, you may have lost your washer.

Generally speaking: best time to wash is during dinner time or on port days. Avoid the laundry room on the first few days, and most especially the first day, when there are a lot of passengers who have been doing pre-cruise tours.

I bought a bag of those "pods" when they first came out. I usually take 4-5 with me and generally use 2-3 for the 2 of us. I finally decided after our PC cruise in march I needed to polish off the bag so am now using them @ home to get rid of the old batch! I'll buy "new" the next cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Princess machines do not take tokens. No, self-serve laundry cannot be added to your account.

That is true for this ship (Island).

On the Royal and Regal, only tokens are used and they are added to your onboard account.

I was on the Island from March 17 to April 1..bring your own quarters and laundry stuff. Get those laundry pods. Takes us less room in your suitcase! the cost was 2.00 per wash and 2.00 per hr dry. I think there were 5 or 5 sets on the Caribe deck with 2 ironing boards. The room was very tiny not wide enough if there were people ironing and you needed to open the doors to more you laundry. Always better to bring you one quarters then have to wait at the service desk!

To clarify my previous post, I needed quarters for machine, I was given them from customer service and the amount given was added to my account, so by default it was credited to my ship board account

The pursers desk is often out of quarters...

Open 24/7...some exceptions...Alaska, for one

Bring your own products if you are particular or don't want to have to check another laundry room if one is out of a product or machines are down...

Happy sailing...laundry day on a ship is better than laundry day at home...

Edited by sssteele

Recently on Island the laundry was locked overnight and opened at 8:00 am. There were five of us waiting from about 7:40.

When the doors were opened by a steward at 8:00 a lady walked in with him and announced - 'I was here at 7:00'. Came close to 'being made to walk the plank'. As it happened there was a machine left over for her.

Recently on Island the laundry was locked overnight and opened at 8:00 am. There were five of us waiting from about 7:40.

When the doors were opened by a steward at 8:00 a lady walked in with him and announced - 'I was here at 7:00'. Came close to 'being made to walk the plank'. As it happened there was a machine left over for her.

It can be a real struggle for washers in the laundry room. That's why I suggested to the OP not to try washing in the first day or two since so many do AK pre-cruise tours and have a pile of wash to do by the time they board the ship.

On our Med. cruise, one woman just about started throwing fists when she realized she had been beaten to the laundry room. She had a massive suitcase full of clothes. She also ended up having her ATM card and cash stolen when she had a person help her with the ATM in Barcelona. :rolleyes:

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Sapphire also uses tokens for the laundry. I seem to recall it bring $3 to wash and another $3 to dry.

Tokens could be bought at dispenser or at guest services.

See post #13. That is the only ship at the moment. The vast majority of them use quarters, as the ship does that the OP will be on.

The Sapphire uses tokens. Alas, now that she is in Asia, I guess the question becomes moot for most of us.....

I don't recall not seeing a sign with hours for the laundry rooms. But maybe some of the ships have them open 24/7.

It varies by ship and location.

On emerald for instance, some are open 24 hours, and some are not.