Just have items for your cruise!

What are your MUST have items when you go on a 5 day minimum cruise? Sorry for the typo. I thought this could be a useful thread. If there is already one then direct me that way. If not let's share?

Edited by atfreud17

What are your MUST have items when you go on a 5 day minimum cruise? Sorry for the typo. I thought this could be a useful thread. If there is already one then direct me that way. If not let's share?

You can edit it in advanced editing for up to 20 minutes after your initial post.:)

For the Caribbean

Suntan lotion

Sunglasses

Magnetic dry erase board (sticks to the wall which is metal) so the wife can put out schedule for the next day on it for shows and dinner reservations etc etc

Cash

Bottles of water

Copies of ship layout from RCCL website to help us get around

Copies of reservations we made prior to the cruise

Guides for ports we are stopping at if we don't have cruise tours booked and we are self navigating

Pen and highlighter

Folder for cruise compasses

Air freshener

Refillable water bottles

Sunburn gel with aloe and lidocaine

Camera and charger

Digital alarm clock

A good book

Sunscreen

Bug spray

Lomotil

Bonine/phenergan

Dulcolax

Ibuprofen

Hydrocortisone cream

Benadryl

Birth control pills*

Band aids and alcohol wipes

Mesh bag for dirty laundry

hat and sunglasses

Cash

A good "go with the flow" attitude

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pen and highlighter

Air freshener

Refillable water bottles

Camera and charger

Digital alarm clock

A good book

Sunscreen

Bug spray

Lomotil

Bonine/phenergan

Dulcolax

Ibuprofen

Hydrocortisone cream

Benadryl

Birth control pills*

hat and sunglasses

Cash

I'm not sure if this list is supposed to be taken seriously or not. These are not, by any means, MUST-have items! I think I regularly take about 6 of those items with me on any given cruise. Many things that are handy or convenient are not MUST-haves. Don't waste your time or luggage space with most of the items on the above list. ;)

I'm not sure if this list is supposed to be taken seriously or not. These are not, by any means, MUST-have items! I think I regularly take about 6 of those items with me on any given cruise. Many things that are handy or convenient are not MUST-haves. Don't waste your time or luggage space with most of the items on the above list. ;)

To each his own. I can see taking most of it - small sizes to be sure but you never know. Since I'm 67, I no longer have a need for birth control but most of the other stuff plus a lot more for DH's emphysema as well.

Duh... Birth control pills = must have for sure.

We are so close in what we take, I just crossed off the items from your list and added a couple of mine....:D

Nice job

Thanks

Pen and highlighter

Air freshener

Camera and charger

Digital alarm clock ( we use our I phones)

A good book

Sunscreen

Bug spray

Lomotil

Bonine/phenergan

Ibuprofen

Hydrocortisone cream

Benadryl

Birth control pills* (19 y/o DD with us, not needed FOR EITHER!)

hat and sunglasses

Cash

Flash light

manicure kit without the scissors

Thanks again

Sea Ya

Whenever someone in our group is worried they are forgetting something my mantra is "as long as you have your passport, and credit card, and prescription meds, everything else can be bought there if we have to"

In addition to the above, for EVERY cruise, I take:

health insurance cards

sunscreen

sunglasses

swimsuit

my own shampoo (for all RCI cruises, theirs is awful) and basic toiletries (toothbrush and paste, deodorant, razor, brush)

camera and cahrger

laptop and charger

then clothes to match the temps in the area and thigns we want to do on shore and that is about all you need.

I really don't think you need others to tell you the obvious stuff.

Money, Swimwear, Sunglasses.

But as far as all those other odds & ends.

Highlighters, fans, flashlite, alarm clocks, band-aids, bug spray, door hangers, etc.

Don't waste the space.

It's only a week...

I like to take a small portable speaker so I can listen to music in my room. Also a water bottle to fill up water each day in the windjammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by cvogt2

Interesting, that so far, no one mentioned batteries. That is if you use a camera that uses AA's. Bit expensive on ship. I was glad I had spares.:)

I'm a nurse...I always think worst case scenario, so thats why I bring a bunch of meds ;-) one cruise I touched fire coral and had a crazy itchy rash and also got stung by some mexican insects that I had no clue what they were. Have not yet had an issue with sea sickness (knock on wood,) ibuprofen for aches and pains, and bathroom stuff for all of the rich yummy food ;-)

I also pack lysol wipes and hand gel. Had noro once (Pride of Aloha) and never want it again. I feel better if I sanitize the phone, channel changer. "button" for the toilet door handles, and anything else that doesn't look like it was wiped down. The small bottle of hand sanitizer is like a security blanket ( I use after handling the tongs in the buffet in the windjammer), Don't know if it is really necessary, but it does make me feel better doing all of this.

I also wash my hands often.

Do those of you who bring lots of medications on board find that you use them often?

We bring prescriptions (mostly asthma medication for DS) and pain killers. We did end up hunting down a pharmacy for more pain killers on one trip when DH's back was acting up. And we bought a bottle of Nyquil on board once. Yes, the Nyquil was overprices, but in 25 cruises and 3 or more weeks of land holiday a year, that is all we have EVER needed--so I would rather pay if we have to have something than haul it all just in case.

Is my family just that much healthier than everyone else. or just that much more adverse to packing a lot?

Do those of you who bring lots of medications on board find that you use them often?

We bring prescriptions (mostly asthma medication for DS) and pain killers. We did end up hunting down a pharmacy for more pain killers on one trip when DH's back was acting up. And we bought a bottle of Nyquil on board once. Yes, the Nyquil was overprices, but in 25 cruises and 3 or more weeks of land holiday a year, that is all we have EVER needed--so I would rather pay if we have to have something than haul it all just in case.

Is my family just that much healthier than everyone else. or just that much more adverse to packing a lot?

motrin

meclizine/Bonine

maxalt (if you get migraines)

immodium

neosporin ointment

bandaids

swim-ear

Rolaids/Tums

Takes up little room and you're happy when you have those.

Edited by marci22

We have little kids and our extras include: $1 pump hand soap for bathroom, $2.50 plastic stepstool so they can rech the sink, and a box of ziploc bags. (For wet stuff, sandy stuff, smelly stuff, leaking stuff, snacks, toys, those ziplocs rule)

This may not be important to anyone else but I take a box of sugar cubes so I don't have to open all those little packs of sugar for my first cup of coffee or in case room service forgets to bring you some. Which happens often :eek:

Also I take those pack mate bags that you roll the air out of, I love having them for the dirty laundry on the way home and it makes extra space for souvenirs

Okay, y'all, don't laugh, but in all the many threads I've seen on this topic no one has ever mentioned this item. Air freshener for the bathroom!! We travel with one of the small "refill" aerosol spray cans and it makes sharing that tiny bathroom SO much more pleasant!:p

As to all the rest of the stuff -- power strips, over the door shoe bags, duct tape, etc., etc. -- have never taken any of it and haven't missed it yet!

I do usually kick myself for not bringing enough sunscreen; it's hideously overpriced on the ship...

Okay, y'all, don't laugh, but in all the many threads I've seen on this topic no one has ever mentioned this item. Air freshener for the bathroom!! We travel with one of the small "refill" aerosol spray cans and it makes sharing that tiny bathroom SO much more pleasant!:p

As to all the rest of the stuff -- power strips, over the door shoe bags, duct tape, etc., etc. -- have never taken any of it and haven't missed it yet!

I do usually kick myself for not bringing enough sunscreen; it's hideously overpriced on the ship...

We bring the small spray can from bath and body works. We actually can get multi trips from one can. I like the fresh scents. Not to heavy or like a cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruise & travel tips

1.) Invest in hard side luggage to avoid bed bugs. It only takes one infested soft luggage to affect everyone else's luggage on a plane, train, ship etc.

2.) Pill boxes make excellent jewelry holders for traveling.

3.) Buy a cheap (dollar store, walmart) over the door shoe holder with clear pockets. Can hold sunscreen, glasses, hair brush, make up, sprays, hair gel, toothbrush, toothpaste and many other toiletries. Now you can have everything organized on the door and it doesnt take up your drawer and counter space. Works wonders in tiny cruise ship bathrooms!

4.) A travel wallet/organizer keeps all of your important documents together. That way your not constantly digging around for your plane tickets, passports etc.

5.) Bring a travel alarm clock. Cruise staterooms do not have them.

6.) I always travel with Lysol wipes. Airplane/train seats are filthy!

7.) Cruise ship stateroom doors are metal and can hold magnets. Just ask anyone that I have cruised with what I put on their door!!

8.) Bring 50% more money and 50% less clothes than you think you need. Credit to Mary for that tip!

9.) Dress for formal nights! It takes just as much effort to put on tux pants as it does to put on jeans. And where else are you going to wear fancy clothes?

10.) Travel with your teddy bear! It makes a great pillow on the plane and also quiets noisy children! (True story!)

11.) Always bring air freshner. Lysol doubles as a disinfectant.

12.) Pack or bring a backpack. It's lightweight and holds a lot. Can be used as a beach bag or a quick carry on if your luggage is over weight.

13.) Get change (small bills) prior to your vacation. You'll be glad you did when you go to a vending machine and when you need to tip the luggage handlers.

14.) Pack medicines, bathing suit and a change of clothes in your carry on.

15.) Two words - Duck tape! Can temporarily fix anything from luggage to hemming a pair of trousers! Makes a great lint "brush" too! My husband wraps duct tape around the travel hairspray bottle so we have some if we need, without packing a big roll of it.

16.) Do not forget your phone/laptop

charger.

17.) The buffet is very crowded on the first day of a cruise. There are other options for dining - do your research prior to boarding!

18.) Make a copy of your passport and e-mail it to yourself. You can access it from any computer or smartphone if it gets lost.

19.) Put a copy of your name, cell phone number and e-mail address INSIDE your luggage, as well as on your luggage tags.

20.) Always pack a "medicine cabinet." Gift shops are not open 24 hours.

21.) Walkie-talkies are a great way to keep in touch with the kids when they want to venture out on their own.

22.) A household extension cord lets you charge a few cell phones and laptops at once. Power strips are bulky and banned from cruise ships.

23.) Gold bond powder is a must if your doing a beach vacation.

24.) Downey Wrinkle Release works wonders! Especially on cruises where travel irons are banned.

25.) Be sure to use a Travel Agent for their expertise cruising knowledge, customer service, same point of contact after booking and to look into special promotions - like me!