Aussie based cruise tipping

Just wondering if anyone who has sailed on the Sea Princess recently have tipped for room service, waiters and stewards etc and if so, roughly how much should I offer?

Cheers - not long now for our June 1 cruise :D

Hi - tips are already included in your fare paid. In Oz tipping is a personal thing. If you feel that the service you have received is above and beyond, then by all means tip. I have never used room service so I don't know what's reasonable for that.

Rather controversial issue here.

All the Princess ships based in Australia have a no tipping policy simply because Australians do not tip. Princess had to adjust their policy.

In reality you can get away with not giving away a single cent to anyone.

However you can bet your dollars that Australians will come on here and boast about what they tip, how much and proclaim to tip even though the policy says not to. These statements are typically lies and fabrications made up by people who have ingratiated themselves in circles of international friends and they simply do not want to lose face. They may not want to lose a few facbook friends if they are seen to come from a culture that does not tip.

I seriously think that any Australian that comes on these boards and boasts about giving generous tips are lying. Plain and simple.

The reality certainly does not reflect that as Princess have had to adjust their policy because of Australians refusal to tip.

If it is Sea Princess based then don't give a cent for anything.

Edited by KarateMan

The fact that MOST Australians don't tip does not equate to ALL Australians don't tip. Your stance that people who say they do tip are lying is offensive.

Some Australians do tip, especially at restaurants where they have had exceptional service.

Australians, as a rule, don't significantly tip taxi drivers or limo drivers although they may round up the fare by a dollar or two. Australians don't tip hotel porters, beauticians and hairdressers, and other service staff.

I've seen tip jars on the counters of many local cafes where people toss in their change.

As to tipping on cruises, well, I have yet to find that out. However if I receive exceptional service from any crew member then I will probably tip that person, but I will not feel that I have to tip for every service on every occasion.

As an Aussie I only tip for exceptional service.

Recently on Solstice I tipped GD & Nyoman the 2 barman in Martini Bar because they were sensational. They remembered us by name every time, knew what drinks we preferred, remembered our room number for charging all whilst serving many other guests all day everyday and it was because of this that this was our main hangout area at night. I also tipped my butler as he was very helpful to us arranging certain things.

I did not tip the room attendants or the waiters for meals in the main dining room or the specialty restaurants as I believed my gratuities account was split up amongst these guys and they just did their jobs without being exceptional.

We sat with two other Aussies and two Americans from Norfolk Virginia in the MDR and we asked our American guests for advise on tipping and they agreed on what I have just explained.

Everyone to their own though but I don't agree that most Aussies DON'T tip but instead we just tip for exceptional service because we have come to accept good service as the norm in Australia.:)

However you can bet your dollars that Australians will come on here and boast about what they tip, how much and proclaim to tip even though the policy says not to. These statements are typically lies and fabrications made up by people who have ingratiated themselves in circles of international friends and they simply do not want to lose face. They may not want to lose a few facbook friends if they are seen to come from a culture that does not tip.

I seriously think that any Australian that comes on these boards and boasts about giving generous tips are lying. Plain and simple.

That's a very big generalisation. I am Australian, I don't have international friends (outside of Australia) let alone circles....and I can report I certainly tip.

I will tip my cabin steward at the end of the cruise if I have been impressed with their service and have looked after me very well. I'll also tip individuals who have exceeded my expectations and looked after me very well during the cruise elsewhere. I do this regardless of whether onboard tipping has been automatically added to my account or not. It's a little something extra from me personally to individuals who have made my cruise far more exceptional over what would have been expected of them. I don't do it because I have to, or feel I need to...I do it because I want to.

Your assumptions/generalisations would put me in the liar category...

On our first cruise on the Carnival Spirit we wondered the same. We had a set dining time at a set table so had the same wait staff each night and they were wonderful. Every night (except the last night) the dining room was packed. On the last night (when the tipping would normally be done) I would say only a third of the regular same time diners were in the restaurant. Obviously the others didn't turn up that night so they wouldn't feel obligated to tip. Was pretty sad looking. We also tipped our wonderful drinks waiter who looked after us most of the time, on the pool deck and in the MDR and also our cabin steward. Our next cruise was on Pacific dawn. In the MDR they sit you where ever there is a seat - never at the same table a second time and you never get to see the same wait person again. Pretty much the same with most of the drinks waiters. The only person we tipped on that cruise was our cabin steward. On each cruise I just take along a supply of print notes saying - 'thank you for looking after us' (or something like that) with our names on the note. I also take my own supply of envelopes so I don't have to go looking for them.

Call me a sceptic all you like but I simply do not believe it when Australians come on here and proclaim they tip extra.

I don't believe it, never have and never will.

Current trends in the media is the federal budget. If Australians cant afford a measly $7 to visit the Doctor then they certainly are not going around throwing away money on tips.

You have to remember the majority of Australians cruising are baby boomers accessing their superannuation and then falling back on the age pension. These people are tight when it comes to money.

There is a good old joke that goes around on cruise ships and it is what is the difference between an Australian and a dug-out-canoe.

Australians did not earn this stereotype because of a small minority.

Call me a sceptic all you like but I simply do not believe it when Australians come on here and proclaim they tip extra.

Current trends in the media is the federal budget. If Australians cant afford a measly $7 to visit the Doctor then they certainly are not going around throwing away money on tips.

You have to remember the majority of Australians cruising are baby boomers accessing their superannuation and then falling back on the age pension. These people are tight when it comes to money.

There is a good old joke that goes around on cruise ships and it is what is the difference between an Australian and a dug-out-canoe.

Sorry you are so grumpy today . Yours is not the only world that exists in Australia.

Tipping in your country is alive , and doing very well.

We sailed on Voyager of the Seas January 2013.

We pre paid our tips with our booking and the service we received was exceptional.

On the last day we gave $50 each to our waiter, assistant waiter and our room attendant.

The three people mentioned above became like family and made our cruise so memorable.

I am sure any of the crew who look after you would appreciate the extra tips:)

I travel to the USA a fair bit so I am use to tipping!

So what is the difference between an Australian and a dug-out-canoe??

And Mr Karate Man not everybody tells lies and then there are people who lie about all sorts of things...........like maybe going on a cruise and meeting a "young" lady and only getting a couple hours sleep....... Sometimes it is just a figment of ones imagination and like the tipping cannot be proven or misproven.

So what is the difference between an Australian and a dug-out-canoe??

And Mr Karate Man not everybody tells lies and then there are people who lie about all sorts of things...........like maybe going on a cruise and meeting a "young" lady and only getting a couple hours sleep....... Sometimes it is just a figment of ones imagination and like the tipping theory cannot be proven or disproven. .......How is Mia Palmer going anyway?

Edited by gbenjo

To answer the question. I'm an Aussie and I tip my steward and waiters. My last cruise was on the Sun just a QLD Coastal and I tipped the staff at the spa when I had my massage. She actually told me that tips were now included in the price so I didn't need to. I wasn't going to take it back from her. As far as room service I have only had that once or twice and can't remember so probably didn't :) But $2 sounds fine. And I'm highly offended by the huge generalisation that Aussies don't tip. The OP was asking a genuine question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On our first cruise on the Carnival Spirit we wondered the same. We had a set dining time at a set table so had the same wait staff each night and they were wonderful. Every night (except the last night) the dining room was packed. On the last night (when the tipping would normally be done) I would say only a third of the regular same time diners were in the restaurant. Obviously the others didn't turn up that night so they wouldn't feel obligated to tip. Was pretty sad looking. We also tipped our wonderful drinks waiter who looked after us most of the time, on the pool deck and in the MDR and also our cabin steward. Our next cruise was on Pacific dawn. In the MDR they sit you where ever there is a seat - never at the same table a second time and you never get to see the same wait person again. Pretty much the same with most of the drinks waiters. The only person we tipped on that cruise was our cabin steward. On each cruise I just take along a supply of print notes saying - 'thank you for looking after us' (or something like that) with our names on the note. I also take my own supply of envelopes so I don't have to go looking for them.

did you know that on the australian based ships you dont have to tip as its included in your fare but if you wish to tip extra the crew wont say no

on the US based ship that cruise from here during the summer months the crew expect to receive the tips but some aussies wont tip so on the last night they might have dinner in the buffett so they dont have to front the dining room staff so they dont have to hand over any money

The difference between an Australian and a dug-out-canoe is that the Australian will not tip.

How did Australians ever come to get jokes like that made about them.

Fact: Princess cruises had to change their policy for ships based in Australia because Australians do not tip.

Don't shoot the messenger. I am actually having a good laugh at all of this.

You need to witness the lack of tipping in USA on USA cruises!

Australian cruises have the gratuities built into the cost of the cruise North Americans dont! So because North Americans pay a separate auto gratuity they tip and we dont? I have not witnessed all the boloney about them always tipping extra when there, in fact the opposite!

Should have seen the "Outrage" when RCI introduced compulsory non refundable Grats for MTD/YTD. Before this happened you had to go on a wait list for MTD/YTD but now its the reverse with Traditional dinning being snapped up first!

Why is there all of a sudden a huge demand for Traditional dinning I wonder:rolleyes:

Just snipped this bit of your post above.

You say you are having a laugh and don't shoot the messenger. The don't shoot the messenger may have been why there is no need for tipping on Australian Princess cruises any more.

But you also stated your personal opinion. That's the offensive part I don't like, calling people liars.

My parents were born in Europe, and I was born in Australia. I grew up in a family where tipping was normal. I worked at a restaurant in a country NSW town when I left school and I can guarantee you that there are Australians that tip.

Tipping is not in our normal Australian culture, but it is something that does happen. I did not think that lying was what everyone did on cruise critic or facebook just to please their overseas friends. Never heard such a load of rubbish ever.

Your generalisation is very offensive and makes you look ridiculous. Just my HONEST opinion. And yes we do tip. And we even tip over the recommended amounts for good service. On land and on a ship.

Room service we give a dollar or two depending on the speed of service, and when we ordered a large amount of stuff have been know to make it $5. I like my food hot and on time. They walk a long way and I believe they deserve it.

Edited by goodycruising

We are on Sea Princess at the moment - mechanical problem still haven't left White Bay, supposedly sailing at 9.00pm. We have just had drinks and on the receipt above where you sign there is a space for a gratuity amount if you wish to give. Also it is on our room service breakfast menu on the back. In these cases if you wish to tip, nominate the amount and it is added to your account. Do not know if the amount would go solely to the service provider. We usually depending on the cruiseline, take either US dollars or Aus $2s. Usually for room service we give $2 to $5, depending whether early morning cuppa or an aft cabin meal.

Surprising for a truck driver, but you need to get out more.

Do you think that everybody posting in this thread about tipping also can't pay to go to the doctor?

You're generalising that everybody has the same circumstances, when they don't! The top 4% get over $180,000 a year. Do you think they can't tip?

Tightness is an attitude. A lot of people with their own super to the extent they fall outside the pension limits are quite well off. Low expenses, lower taxes, a lot of disposable income. Some are happy to be charitable. And some aren't.

Fact: Princess cruises had to change their policy for ships based in Australia because Australians do not tip.

See, if you'd said something like Australians don't normally tip, so many don't, and don't tip as much onboard, it wouldn't be an issue.

But when you make sweeping generalisations that people don't, and then say that people who say they tip are liars, it's no surprise that you're called out for it Sutho.

We were on the Sea Princess last December. We gave $50 to our steward, the waiter on our table and the drink waiter in the main dinning room. We also gave $20 each to 3 of the bar attendance. We went to the same bar every night before dinner. We really did not use room service only asked them to bring hot water for a cup of tea.

We found that the service we received was unbelievable. But in saying that we tip every time we eat at a restaurant.

If you get good service then you should tip a little more. I look at the tip that princess charged was just their wages. So just a little thanks for what they did for us. :)

Thanks for advice to date, I appreciate the constructive advice like the idea of bringing your own envelopes for notes.

I will bring a wad of $5 and $10 notes along with a pocketful of coins for room service.

I don't mind leaving a tip for good service, but it appears that the room steward, closely followed by wait staff in the restaurant earn the majority of personal tips and judging by the feedback, usually deserve the thank you offer.

Cheers again for your tips (excuse the pun)

Statistically the numbers are against all the people proclaiming they tip X and Y amounts to their stewards/waiters etc.

If people really did tip all they claim they did then Princess would not have adjusted the policy in Australia and removed the auto-tipping in favour of including it in the fare.

That above is proof that people are not being honest on here because the statistics should be uniform on the forum compared to reality.

The second reason I know people are lying about it is because when you study the psychological profile of a human being typically the liars are the ones that get extra defensive about a generalisation. If a person did tip above and beyond and saw my comments and knew they did tip, then they would normally ignore the comments and not care what others think. If a liar were to see the comments they would associate themselves as the victim and come out swinging and proclaiming that they do in fact tip above and beyond. Part of it is all psychological about feeling shamed and guilty for not tipping. Generally and psychologically people who get very defensive about an issue are lying about it where as people who are honest could not give a rats a about what people think.

If you have all cruised like you say you do and have seen theatre shows of illusionists and psychological magicians where they can pick a liar. This is what I am talking about. Extra defensive people that dwell on an issue are lying or statistically more likely to lie.