Are you also worried about cost cutting that we don't see

ghstudio

Another thread about Celebrity's Capitalistic profit makers. I hope Celebrity makes profits and thrives. That is free enterprise. Without profits, the alternative is failure and bankruptcy.

As far as the X cruise world coming to an end, I don't think it will happen, the product is still pretty darn good.

Do we honestly need more worries? I mean no disrespect to anyone nor invalidate the comments made but do vacationers need to be more worried? Yes I recognize free speech. Yes The free enterprise system has created the one percent. Yes it is a heart heavy shame that the one percent pay themselves tens and hundreds of millions while cutting off the livelihoods of decent people who save all year to take a vacation.

Should I have the worry of another Triumph or Concordia hanging over my head while I cruise? While it is true that no one should bury their heads in the sand I think it's better for vacationer's outlooks to hear some good news. If the concern is of overall passenger safety then good news, to me, would be a response by passengers en masse for more transparency and independent safety and maintenance inspections and reports. If you're coming in with problems then make sure you also pack a few suggestions for actionable solutions.

There...I've ranted and paddled the water enough.

Sounds like they are turning into Royal Caribbean. They also do not give you ice in your stateroom unless asked for and in the MDR the assistant waiters also have to act as sommeliers - which they are not - so they really don't know about wine but they are the ones that your order your wine from.

Yes, other similarities in MDR between the two is they've both discontinued after dessert drinks EXCEPT for buying coffees.

You may still be able to get other drinks on request, and also toothpicks, but it's not encouraged. This is to reduce tasks they need to do, as their passenger load has increased.

One thing to ponder about the Asst. waiter having more duties like drink orders...is it possible that now with all the alternate dining options specialty restaurants etc.) enough people have moved there to not require the same old full-staff in the MDR that's always been there - I see tons of empty seats in the MDR these days, especially after the 1st night, sometimes entire tables empty.

Not because of the other options, which we've used in the past. But we were turned off MDR for the first time this latest cruise, because of how absolutely slow, and bare bones things had become. It's now worse than going to a regular restaurant as comparatively you have fewer choices, they're prepared earlier - yet they took so long to serve.

For example, it was typically about an hour before the first dish was served, and then 45 minutes to an hour before the main would be served. There was a lot of waiting around.

Compare that to the buffet where you get fairly similar meals, more choice, and don't have all the waiting.

Is it any wonder people head to other venues?

I'd worry alot more about the airline getting me to the cruise ship!! After bleeding money for years, I shudder to think what they do/did behind the scenes to become profitable.

I'd worry alot more about the airline getting me to the cruise ship!! After bleeding money for years, I shudder to think what they do/did behind the scenes to become profitable.

Good point!!!:eek::eek: Glad I don't have to fly to get to most of our cruises!!!

My last cruise was in January and I did not experience anything that took away from my cruise enjoyment.

I believe the larger ships are an attempt to reduce costs per passenger. Celebrity is making many changes. I must be in the "target market" range because they changes are mostly positive for me.

I appreciate the fact that Celebrity is making changes instead of just increases the cruise prices. I still think it is a great value.

Soon, I am not concerned.

Hi Everyone,

Is this something I've thought about ? Yes.

Is this something I'm concerned about ? Not at all.

While some are displeased with recent onboard cutbacks, I continue to have faith in Celebrity's management, especially regarding onboard safety & ship maintenance. Over the years, Celebrity's safety history (as well as Royal Caribbean & Azamara) is outstanding. Never for a second, do I believe they would do anything to "roll the dice" so to speak, and risk putting their guests in harms way.

It's one thing to talk about cuts in the activity staff, but a discussion about maintenance & safety is an entirely different matter. I can't imagine Celebrity would ever go there.

Much ado about nothing, IMO.

Edited by Host Andy

I guess the only way to really know is when we dont have life vest under our beds, and a couple of life boats are missing.

I just turned 60 and according to all the charts and graphs, have around 24-28 fun years left to enjoy things. Weather the sky will fall or RCCL will allow Celebrity to sail their ships onto the beach, cant be allowed to fester in what little brain my wifester says I have.:)

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, 178 days till we sail to go!

Edited by wallie5446

Until I see oars in our stateroom and rowing becomes a fee based activity I'm not worrying.

The costs involved in compensation and cancelled cruises and bad press would greatly out weigh any potential savings based on skimping essential maintenance.

This is one issue that has never concerned us.