Quantum of the Seas Dynamic Dining Disaster

They are only trying to "idiot-proof" they reservation system. There are two ways of doing it. Apparently the first is the method they adopted; if you have a time conflict, they won't make the new booking. The second potential method is to bring up a message that there is a conflict and give you and option to cancel the earlier one to make a new one.

I think the second method would be better, but there may be other factors in play...

The second method works fine and is quicker, I don't understand why the staff on the telephone feel the need to cancel the existing reservation before choosing another one, it's not necessary.

I have never been able to make reservations via the website for this cruise - either way too slow, taking a vacation, not allowing, not allowing me to add our friends, - so I have always called.

I believe that I have spent about 20 solid hours on the phone with them at this point - and given what my boss bills out for my time - they owe me many free cruises. (or maybe they owe my boss for some of this.)

Just upset that I got so upset, especially after vowing that I wouldn't. Frankly, I was more interested in the Jewel, with much more interesting ports, (and no hassle dining), but our friends were so anxious to try the Quantum, and being from NY, and seeing the attraction of only an hour's drive to the port, I went along.

I have never been able to make reservations via the website for this cruise - either way too slow, taking a vacation, not allowing, not allowing me to add our friends, - so I have always called.

I believe that I have spent about 20 solid hours on the phone with them at this point - and given what my boss bills out for my time - they owe me many free cruises. (or maybe they owe my boss for some of this.)

Just upset that I got so upset, especially after vowing that I wouldn't. Frankly, I was more interested in the Jewel, with much more interesting ports, (and no hassle dining), but our friends were so anxious to try the Quantum, and being from NY, and seeing the attraction of only an hour's drive to the port, I went along.

It's honestly way to hard to not get upset with Royal Caribbean when dealing with Quantum. I've tried so many times. When we boarded the ship I told my parents that we were to remain positive no matter what and not say anything negative because I spent way to much time dealing with issues to deal to have the negativity take away from the vacation. It took about 5 minutes from the time we boarded for me to be the first to break that policy.

Perhaps that was because you telephoned them and asked them to do it for you. Just go into your cruise planner, choose the date and time for the restaurant you want and it will automatically cancel any conflicting reservation. It works....I did it twice yesterday myself no problems :)

Devinely Decadence unavailable that way

Yes it is, but it's called The Solarium Bistro in your cruise planner :)

Well that's a bit confusing. Wonder if they are going to rebrand it or got push back over the existing rebranding. I know that's why they claim to have kept the Cafe Promenade name even though it's technically the Cafe Esplanade.

Well that's a bit confusing. Wonder if they are going to rebrand it or got push back over the existing rebranding. I know that's why they claim to have kept the Cafe Promenade name even though it's technically the Cafe Esplanade.

Confusing? DD? come on now:confused::confused:

My idea of DD is not to make any reservation months in advance, but till you get on board and then decide what food you are in the mood for.

That's what DD is meant to be however people panicked and booked everything leading everyone else to book everything.

Also note how the emails from RCI saying "Book your dining now" specifically only refer to speciality restaurants?

Cafe Promenade is Cafe Promenade to keep brand recognition, having similar things on each ship makes you feel more homely and welcomed and reminds you that you are on an RCI ship.

Same reason Flowrider is called Flowrider, Windjammer is called Windjammer, Sorrentos is called Sorrentos, and Schooner Bar is called Schooner Bar.

I think that it was originally named 'Devinly Decadence at the Solarium Bistro'

I think them handing the LIFE VESTS out AT the muster station in emergency, is way quicker than thousands of passengers, a lot of them incapacitated, racing all over the ship,trying to get back to their cabins, possibly in darkness, and trying to find their jackets in a blind panic.

Passengers are supposed to go to their cabins, if conditions allow, and get warm clothing and essential medicines, so having the life vests at the muster stations does not mean they do not try to go to the cabins.

We just tried Select Dining on Celebrity (aka Anytime or My Time on other cruise lines) for the first time last month and absolutely loved it. Just showed up whenever we wanted to and either never had to wait at all, or just had to wait a few minutes. Granted, it was usually after 8 PM (not at "rush hour"), but we totally enjoyed not being tied to a fixed dining time.

I bet your Celebrity dining room had a different menu each evening, not like DD where the menu never changes unless you go to a different venue.

With only 3 or 4 no-charge (no dress up) restaurants with DD on board, having only 3 or 4 menus to pick from for an entire cruise makes for a much more limited dining experience, especially if on an extended cruise.

Perhaps that was because you telephoned them and asked them to do it for you. Just go into your cruise planner, choose the date and time for the restaurant you want and it will automatically cancel any conflicting reservation. It works....I did it twice yesterday myself no problems :)

works that way on Oasis as well

My idea of DD is not to make any reservation months in advance, but till you get on board and then decide what food you are in the mood for.

RCCL "recommends" that you book before the cruise so that they can better satisfy your preferences. Obviously, if you fail to heed that advice your choices of restaurants/times are going to be more limited. You're not locked into your initial choices, you can request changes to your reservations on the fly once on board.

I wonder if the next new RCI ship will feature "Non-Dynamic Dinning"! Perhaps they just need to remove the reservation system for dinning from their web site and force everyone to wait until they board.

That would be an even bigger disaster. 4,000 people trying waiting in line to get someone to make reservations for them because the Royal iQ app doesn't work. It seemed like a lengthy line throughout the day each day with the majority of people booking ahead of time. Then if the Royal iQ app does work all those people struggling to get it to work and the bandwidth everyone using it at once would take up. It would be so slow. I was amazed how slow it was when people barely using it, even at 3am. I'm sure this would also lead to everyone being at the terminal at 10am causing that to become an even bigger mess.

One of Royal Caribbean's big marketing things was that they were giving us the first day back. We are supposed to book everything ahead of time so that when we get onboard we no longer have to deal with time wasting tasks like reservations, checking tables, waiting in a terminal, etc.

Edited by DEIx15x8

I wonder if the next new RCI ship will feature "Non-Dynamic Dinning"! Perhaps they just need to remove the reservation system for dinning from their web site and force everyone to wait until they board.

Noooooo, don't say that! Ive already booked my dining for Anthem of the Seas. I'd rather not do it all again, thank you :)

I bet your Celebrity dining room had a different menu each evening, not like DD where the menu never changes unless you go to a different venue.

With only 3 or 4 no-charge (no dress up) restaurants with DD on board, having only 3 or 4 menus to pick from for an entire cruise makes for a much more limited dining experience, especially if on an extended cruise.

MTD has a different menu each evening.

DD does not.

Ever go to dinner at MDR or MTD and want 3 or 4 of the entrees? And you can't get them the rest of the cruise.

Ever go to dinner at MDR or MTD and not see anything at all you want? Hmmm... maybe a specialty dining would've been a good option here

Do you eat all 6-7 entress offered to you every single night at MTD or MDR that you must absolutely require a different menu each and every night because you will miss the next 7 entrees the next night you want to gorge yourself with?

This has been a ridiculous argument from day 1 by many CC'ers. I went to The Grande 4 nights and it was excellent and not boring. There is another poster on another thread that reserved The Grande the entire cruise, obviously not disappointed. DD gives you the opportunity to choose... you are not forced options. Some people loved American Icon and hated Grande... awesome!!! Book there more nights :D It's your choice for your tastes. Way way way more options to satisfy your needs to those who love choices.

If you dislike choices, if you wish to have a set menu each evening so that the thinking process is easier, then MDR is great and I love that too. But to say DD has less choices is absolutely the farthest from the truth.

ever go to dinner at mdr or mtd and want 3 or 4 of the entrees? And you can't get them the rest of the cruise.

Ever go to dinner at mdr or mtd and not see anything at all you want? Hmmm... Maybe a specialty dining would've been a good option here

do you eat all 6-7 entress offered to you every single night at mtd or mdr that you must absolutely require a different menu each and every night because you will miss the next 7 entrees the next night you want to gorge yourself with?

This has been a ridiculous argument from day 1 by many cc'ers. I went to the grande 4 nights and it was excellent and not boring. There is another poster on another thread that reserved the grande the entire cruise, obviously not disappointed. Dd gives you the opportunity to choose... You are not forced options. Some people loved american icon and hated grande... Awesome!!! Book there more nights :d it's your choice for your tastes. Way way way more options to satisfy your needs to those who love choices.

If you dislike choices, if you wish to have a set menu each evening so that the thinking process is easier, then mdr is great and i love that too. But to say dd has less choices is absolutely the farthest from the truth.

Well gregdude - they may have heard you and thought that was a good idea. So, not only have I not received the email reinstating my customer-service dinner reservation, but my calendar is now showing 0 -yes 0 - dining reservations. I guess they decided to scrap the whole thing and we'll have to rebook everything on Friday. Or not... Who knows? I only know that Windjammer is not an option unless they put tablecloths down and serve us. Nor is eating at 5:30 or 9:00.

I can't tell my husband this one - he wanted to go on Windstar.

With MTD you go to one restaurant when ever you want to dine and you select from one menu.

With DD you go to one of four restaurants when ever you want to dine and you select from 4 menus.

I calculate that you have 32 entrées and 32 appetisers to chose from every night where as the MDR menu had around 5 choices IIRC.

I am confused as to the comments that DD does not have has much choice as the MDR. :rolleyes:

Love Live DD!:D

Edited by little britain