Quantum of the Seas Dynamic Dining Disaster

[quote name='trburks']We were on the Quantum 12/27/14 NYE sailing. Biggest complaint about dynamic dining is the lack of personalized service and the disappearance of assistant waiters. We commonly had to ask for drinks (such as ice tea at the beginning of meals or coffee with dessert) and bread. Waiters did not automatically ask if you wanted these items. Many waiters did not try to personally interact ... it was similar to being at a fast food restaurant. We had to go through the same ritual each night concerning the most simple special requests (such as a fruit plate for the kids).

Another problem is the inconsistency between menus posted on RCL's website and the menus you are actually given in each restaurant. If you select a restaurant based on a specific item you see on the online menu, then don't be surprised if you get to the restaurant and no longer find that item on the menu. This was especially true for American Icon. Also, RCL may do away with the entire menu for an evening and substitute it with what they call a "special menu" (this happened on NYE ... the same menu was used in every restaurant with no option to order off the usual menus).

I'm hoping these issues are fixed before our 2016 Anthem cruise. If not, we will be avoiding any future sailings with dynamic dining.[/QUOTE]

Dynamic Dinning was created for the classless masses as the newest gimmick to increase the profit margins for RCCL. Adam your running the company into the ground and chasing too many loyal customers to other cruise lines just so that they may get a decent meal. Hope that your proud of yourself. And just what is your justification for doing away with the wine packages fleet wide - once again corporate greed - a lot more money to be made with the booze packages + gratuities. I just sailed last week and I'm not impressed or even being close to WOWED. The only thing that I see, is that you are lowering your standards to less than that of Carnivals - Great milestone. Adam maybe it is time for you to hang up your hat - either that or take your head out of your arse and take RCCL back to where she belongs!

[quote name='bohemnartsn']Dynamic Dinning was created for the classless masses as the newest gimmick to increase the profit margins for RCCL. Adam your running the company into the ground and chasing too many loyal customers to other cruise lines just so that they may get a decent meal. Hope that your proud of yourself. And just what is your justification for doing away with the wine packages fleet wide - once again corporate greed - a lot more money to be made with the booze packages + gratuities. I just sailed last week and I'm not impressed or even being close to WOWED. The only thing that I see, is that you are lowering your standards to less than that of Carnivals - Great milestone. Adam maybe it is time for you to hang up your hat - either that or take your head out of your arse and take RCCL back to where she belongs![/quote]

Wasn't this same wording posted back on May 15th before the ship even sailed. Don't we have enough to talk about without repeating ourselves.

[quote name='bohemnartsn']Dynamic Dinning was created for the classless masses as the newest gimmick to increase the profit margins for RCCL. Adam your running the company into the ground and chasing too many loyal customers to other cruise lines just so that they may get a decent meal. Hope that your proud of yourself. And just what is your justification for doing away with the wine packages fleet wide - once again corporate greed - a lot more money to be made with the booze packages + gratuities. I just sailed last week and I'm not impressed or even being close to WOWED. The only thing that I see, is that you are lowering your standards to less than that of Carnivals - Great milestone. Adam maybe it is time for you to hang up your hat - either that or take your head out of your arse and take RCCL back to where she belongs![/QUOTE]

Most of the early complaints about Dynamic Dining that I have read dealt with slow service and the lack of assistant waiters, not about the quality of the food. In fact when we were on Quantum we were more than pleased with the quality of our meals. I also understand that assistant waiters may now have been added to the dining venues' staffs, and Michael Bayley has replaced Adam as the head of Royal Caribbean International so perhaps, your information is already outdated and RCI may not be headed for the disaster that you predict. We will be onboard Quantum again in three weeks so we will see if any of the significant glitches still exist. Somehow I don't believe that they will.

[quote name='negc']Most of the early complaints about Dynamic Dining that I have read dealt with slow service and the lack of assistant waiters, not about the quality of the food. In fact when we were on Quantum we were more than pleased with the quality of our meals. I also understand that assistant waiters may now have been added to the dining venues' staffs, and Michael Bayley has replaced Adam as the head of Royal Caribbean International so perhaps, your information is already outdated and RCI may not be headed for the disaster that you predict. We will be onboard Quantum again in three weeks so we will see if any of the significant glitches still exist. Somehow I don't believe that they will.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I stand Corrected - Michael W. Bayley was appointed CEO of RCCL a few weeks ago hopefully, he may restore RCCL to what it use to be. As for the quality of the food - it has gone downhill for the past two years fleet wide. I'll be onboard the Oasis Feb 21st and will see for myself, just came off the Jewel on the 10th and the quality of the food was still lacking.

Subjectively, the food on the Quantum is much, much better than anything we had on RCI. We are currently on the 1/11-23/15 sailing of the Quantum and after a few reservations glitches which were fixed very easily, we have thoroughly enjoyed Chic, Jamie's Italian and Izumi. We love eating in a different restaurant each night. Devinly Decadence @ Solarium Bistro is next--a delightful eatery for lunch by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote name='Boston lab girl']I just got off quantum on Saturday. Dd was not a disaster. I didn't like American icon but in HMO it wasn't any worse than the food I had on my last cruise. What I did notice people wanted to complain. At my first meal the people next to us started complaining before they opened the menu. They proceeded to state they wanted all their food cooked without butter. The waiter nicely complied with the request going out of his way to get different bread made without butter instead of the usual rolls. The husband stated how much he enjoyed the hot dog pretzels and the woman loved her fish. She even was brought a baked potatoe with margarine. She then started to complain about how much she hated the menu and the restaurant and how much she wanted to go back to the way it was. I think the complainers are just feeding off each other and not really giving it a try.

I hope it doesn't go on every ship. I like choices. If you don't like dd take a different ship.[/QUOTE]
Your statement really is true. It appears to be a culture on board of "who can complain the most", or "my complaint is bigger than your complaint".......pathetic really and I hope I don't encounter any of these people on my next cruise.
Viva Quantum!:D

I'm also a fan of Dynamic Dining
I'm on Quantum of the Seas right now, and I have not had any problems with reservations or wait lines so far.
I have not made reservations prior to the cruise - but made either at the day or for the next day (both dining and shows)
Schedule so far with no problems:
Day 1 - Jamie's Italian
Day 2 - Wonderland
Day 3 - Chic
Day 4 - Silk
Day 5 - Grande
No further reservations so far
I found that making the reservation at the entrance of the restaurants during the day, offered more flexibility than the Royal iQ - probably the app is not updated when reservations are cancelled.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]The article that I read stated that RCL has put on hold converting any other class ship to DD while they continued to evaluate the concept on Quantum and Anthem.

Something that sounds like a good business decision that should have been the plan all along. My guess is that the new DD concept was somehow originally design to save a lot of money (read food and labor cost). Since implementation adapting to passengers needs and desires may be impacting the original projected savings. Another problem may be quality help. I am sure many of the great wait staff which have become accustom to receiving additional tips for their effort are quick to abandon this class ship and return to the ships that provide them an opportunity to make more money.[/COLOR][/SIZE] Edited by ALSEAU

While you're having a good laugh on the complainers just remember that sometimes it's not only the squeaky wheel who gets the grease. When things are improved everybody benefits.

The big wigs from Miami aren't on that ship adding servers, complimentary restaurants, and giving you free wifi because of the generosity of RCI. It's because their product left a lot to be desired and those darn pesky and annoying complainers refused to accept a mediocre product and complained.

So go ahead, sit back, make fun, feign embarrassment to be on the same ship with them, and then enjoy the improved product you receive.

[quote name='gaylemh']I thought the food on Quantum was much better than the food I had on my sailings on Explorer. I'll see if it's the same when I sail again next week.[/QUOTE]

If that's the case then I don't think I will be back on RCL again as although I had no real problems with DD I found the food distinctly average compared to my past experience on traditional RC ships and certainly nowhere near as good as NCL.

IF RC food has gone downhill on other ships so much that people feel food on QOS is a cut above then I shan't bother again.

Last time I cruise RC was Liberty in September 2013 and the food in the MDR was lovely and far far superior to my QOS cruise last week.

[quote name='Snackdaddy']Subjectively, the food on the Quantum is much, much better than anything we had on RCI. We are currently on the 1/11-23/15 sailing of the Quantum and after a few reservations glitches which were fixed very easily, we have thoroughly enjoyed Chic, Jamie's Italian and Izumi. We love eating in a different restaurant each night. Devinly Decadence @ Solarium Bistro is next--a delightful eatery for lunch by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Jamies was excellent but I am talking about the complimentary food. Very average I thought.

[quote name='ALSEAU'][SIZE=3][COLOR=Black]The article that I read stated that RCL has put on hold converting any other class ship to DD while they continued to evaluate the concept on Quantum and Anthem.

Something that sounds like a good business decision that should have been the plan all along. My guess is that the new DD concept was somehow originally design to save a lot of money (read food and labor cost). Since implementation adapting to passengers needs and desires may be impacting the original projected savings. Another problem may be quality help. I am sure many of the great wait staff which have become accustom to receiving additional tips for their effort are quick to abandon this class ship and return to the ships that provide them an opportunity to make more money.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

I am not so sure about cost savings - I guess that they are trying to get new, younger customers with the concept. Traditional main dining room with fixed seating times doesn't sound so appealing for younger passengers. Edited by JezzaC

[quote name='ALSEAU'][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"] My guess is that the new DD concept was somehow originally design to save a lot of money (read food and labor cost).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Labor savings sure, not so much on food.

With a perceived more limited menu, the amount of work for the crew could be slightly less/simpler but the amount of food RCI has to buy is probably unchanged (guests don't eat less because of DD).

The labor savings are a given - the seating capacity of the dining venues is not half the capacity like previous ships, it's 1/3 (tho that seating capacity just went up a bit now that Devinly Decadence is a free venue) - so of course fewer wait staff are needed. But because that staff waits on more tables, their income probably has not changed much (tho, yes, they have to work harder for it). Edited by Biker19

[quote name='JezzaC']I am not so sure about cost savings - I guess that they are trying to get new, younger customers with the concept. Traditional main dining room with fixed seating times doesn't sound so appealing for younger passengers.[/quote]
Adam has on more than one occasion specifically stated cost savings as one of the benefits of Dynamic Dining. By having a more limited and non changing menu they are able to build the kitchen to serve just those dishes. That means that instead of the entire kitchen having the required equipment to produce a meal for just one night, only 1/4 of it does now and uses it every night. The same goes with the dishes. The new menus introduced a lot of fancy dishes for certain items and they needed enough for the whole ship to be served on a single night. Now they only need 1/4 the number and they get used every night. They also can buy the individual food items on a larger scale since they now only have four menus to prepare rather than up to 14. The lunch menu is also more derivative of the dinner menu and not changing which helps the bulk factor as well.

[quote name='Jimmers']While you're having a good laugh on the complainers just remember that sometimes it's not only the squeaky wheel who gets the grease. When things are improved everybody benefits.

The big wigs from Miami aren't on that ship adding servers, complimentary restaurants, and giving you free wifi because of the generosity of RCI. It's because their product left a lot to be desired and those darn pesky and annoying complainers refused to accept a mediocre product and complained.

So go ahead, sit back, make fun, feign embarrassment to be on the same ship with them, and then enjoy the improved product you receive.[/QUOTE]

The moaners aren't going to benefit me, it might possible mean the cruise I go on in 2 weeks on Q becomes another guinea pig cruise for an altered DD

[quote name='JezzaC']I am not so sure about cost savings - I guess that they are trying to get new, younger customers with the concept. Traditional main dining room with fixed seating times doesn't sound so appealing for younger passengers.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Black"]You could be right. I am just guessing but the fact that RCL was rushing to change the Oasis and some of the Freedom classes to DD before they received any feedback from the Quantum experience makes me feel they definitely were thinking they could save money or increase revenue.

DD is nothing more than glorified MTD which is already available on all their ships. If more cruisers are becoming interested in MTD than traditional seating it is easy enough to change the available space in the MDR to accommodate the demand without forcing additional restaurants in the same space. [/COLOR][/SIZE].

The problem for Royal Management is the Dynamic Dining will cost the more NOT less, in labor costs. They will need increased staffing, which will include more people, than traditional dining!

They have become so cheap they deserve to loose money, case in point:

1. Bring back wine stewards in the dining rooms= increased drink revenue.
2. Stop using cheap "Oasis drink products"= more drink sales!!
3. Put something men want to by in the shops= I will spend much more.
4. Improve the quality of the fee dining, so I will spend much, much more!
5. Greatly Improve the main dining room quality, before I move to Holland, Crystal, & Cunard!!
6. Give more power to those onboard the ships, to resolve problems!
7. Increase what is offered in room service.

Much of this goes beyond DD, however I think you all can get the idea. I believe that this last year, has show Royal is in crisis and if they don't get their act together, they will have a similar fate to McDonald's!

[quote name='gkbiiii']
Much of this goes beyond DD, however I think you all can get the idea. I believe that this last year, has show Royal is in crisis and if they don't get their act together, they will have a similar fate to McDonald's![/QUOTE]

The last time I looked McDs is doing just fine.:rolleyes:

[quote name='DEIx15x8']Adam has on more than one occasion specifically stated cost savings as one of the benefits of Dynamic Dining. By having a more limited and non changing menu they are able to build the kitchen to serve just those dishes. That means that instead of the entire kitchen having the required equipment to produce a meal for just one night, only 1/4 of it does now and uses it every night. The same goes with the dishes. The new menus introduced a lot of fancy dishes for certain items and they needed enough for the whole ship to be served on a single night. Now they only need 1/4 the number and they get used every night. They also can buy the individual food items on a larger scale since they now only have four menus to prepare rather than up to 14. The lunch menu is also more derivative of the dinner menu and not changing which helps the bulk factor as well.[/quote]

Those are good points - didn't think of that.

OMG! what a disaster! Just from reading these post - not sure if it worth the aggravation to sail on Quantum. It seems that just about everything must be booked in advance. It doesn't seems like a leisure cruise, if it requires so much home work.
I hope RCI will fix ALL problems by the time Anthem arrives. I am hoping to sail in April 2016.