New HAL Dress Code ?

G&G

I set zero dress code for my wedding and simply told them how my husband and I would be dressed and invited them to decide what to wear. If they had chosen jeans and a t shirt I wouldn't have minded, they're still the same wonderful people I love no matter what the wear.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We just purchased a new suit for him last week since the old one was pretty snug. Let me say they're not exactly cheap, especially if you want only one (seemed like everyone was selling them in 2 and 3 combos). I wanted him to have it for our cruises on my bucket list and more realistically for my funeral (apparently a lot of wives take their husbands shopping for their funeral suit before the pass away, lol).

I have been puzzling over this and -- although I feel a bit uncomfortable asking, given the topic -- finally decided to just ask. Given that you earlier stated you had zero dress code for your wedding and didn't care what anyone wore as "they're still the same wonderful people I love no matter what the wear", I don't understand why you feel your husband had to have a suit for your funeral? Wouldn't the same thought apply? Just seems like an odd disconnect. (I'm sure, given what you've stated here in other posts, that he has something other than a Steelers jersey that he could wear.....)

We seldom dress up on formal nights.

It is not because we 'refuse to dress up'. It is because we no longer find formal nights in the MDR very special. And because we seldom want to pack the necessary clothes for a few hours of wear.

Absolutely nothing to do with 'refusing to dress up'. It is simply about making a positive choice and about a personal preference.

This is why HAL offers us a choice.

Edited by iancal

It is not because we 'refuse to dress up'. It is because we no longer find formal nights in the MDR very special. And because we seldom want to pack the necessary clothes for a few hours of wear.

Absolutely nothing to do with 'refusing to dress up'. It is simply about making a positive choice and about a personal preference.

This is why HAL offers us a choice.

You've posted this repeatedly, but also post that you go to the Lido---the option offered by HAL for those who don't care to dress for dinner---on formal nights.

No one is complaining about those who take that option. They are complaining about those who want it both ways. They are complaining about those who don't want to dress for dinner, yet still want to dine in the formal rooms.

You've posted this repeatedly, but also post that you go to the Lido---the option offered by HAL for those who don't care to dress for dinner---on formal nights.

No one is complaining about those who take that option. They are complaining about those who want it both ways. They are complaining about those who don't want to dress for dinner, yet still want to dine in the formal rooms.

Exactly, thats the issue.

I have been puzzling over this and -- although I feel a bit uncomfortable asking, given the topic -- finally decided to just ask. Given that you earlier stated you had zero dress code for your wedding and didn't care what anyone wore as "they're still the same wonderful people I love no matter what the wear", I don't understand why you feel your husband had to have a suit for your funeral? Wouldn't the same thought apply? Just seems like an odd disconnect. (I'm sure, given what you've stated here in other posts, that he has something other than a Steelers jersey that he could wear.....)

If he refused to wear it I would understand. However he doesn't mind doing it for me because he loves me and I asked him to. Seriously though, he doesn't really much clothing that is not a printed tshirt (with sayings on them like don't mess with the unmedicated person), steelers gear or torn up work clothes that smell awful (dock stink). I finally convinced him to buy 3 new pairs of jeans that didn't have holes in them a few weeks prior to that, lol. I don't look too often to see what he's wearing since he's a grown man so I looked over at him right now... And he's wearing the old jeans with the holes and a black tshirt! I think I need to burn them while he's not looking. :p

Edited by sherilyn70

Their suggested dress falls into my everyday choices. They aren't far from my husbands either. So it's not an issue. As I said I don't like being told what to wear our judged by others. It doesn't mean I object to suggested guidelines. Is the passengers that seem to get all worked up and insist people conform to their standards.

Seriously though, he doesn't really much clothing that is not a printed tshirt (with sayings on them like don't mess with the unmedicated person), steelers gear or torn up work clothes that smell awful (dock stink).

hmmm, still a little confused, but okay. Are you saying printed t-shirts, Steelers gear and stinky work clothes "aren't far" from HAL's suggested dress code?

hmmm, still a little confused, but okay. Are you saying printed t-shirts, Steelers gear and stinky work clothes "aren't far" from HAL's suggested dress code?

I think your not reading everything I posted. I said for me it wasn't. But he is not me. He does own 2 dress shirts and as I mentioned previously a 15 year old suit that was getting snug. He can dress it as needed but doesn't have much to choose from. He certainly won't do it without my request either. :)

Edited by sherilyn70

Bingo.

It is not because we 'refuse to dress up'. It is because we no longer find formal nights in the MDR very special.

Yes with people dressed in Ball caps wife beaters and sweat pants it's beginning to lose it's luster. It won't be long before they wheel in the taco buffet by the lido pool, deal out red solo cups and paper plates and yell "Dig In"

I just retuned from our cruise and want to make a comment from the crews perspective. On our 1st formal night I told our waiter that many people r not dressing up (man in dark jeans, dress shirt and tie. lady in t-shirt dress, leggings and sandals). He said 'I wish we got rid of formal nights. We try our best to make this a special night. We wear bow ties, gloves, special menu and people show up like that'. So based on that, we should show some respect to these hard working people and dress appropriately (IMO)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... They are complaining about those who want it both ways. They are complaining about those who don't want to dress for dinner, yet still want to dine in the formal rooms.

I fail to understand why someone complains about how others choose to dress. I do not make how others choose to dress my business.

I just retuned from our cruise and want to make a comment from the crews perspective. On our 1st formal night I told our waiter that many people r not dressing up (man in dark jeans, dress shirt and tie. lady in t-shirt dress, leggings and sandals). He said 'I wish we got rid of formal nights. We try our best to make this a special night. We wear bow ties, gloves, special menu and people show up like that'. So based on that, we should show some respect to these hard working people and dress appropriately (IMO)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So let me get this right. Another guest takes the time to put on a dark pair of jeans (not blue jeans), a dress shirt AND a tie yet this STILL does not meet your interpretation of what is formal dress? Maybe you should have checked his shoes as well? How about whether or not he was wearing socks? And let's make sure the socks matched his jeans! You should be nominated for the position of " Formal Attire Police" and you can stand at the entrance of the MDR and make sure everyone is dressed according to your standards! Some of you are such COWARDS! How about next time you walk right up to a guest and tell them to their face that they are not dressed appropriately for Formal Night. at least according to your standards. Obviously, the guest in question MADE the effort. Get a life!

So let me get this right. Another guest takes the time to put on a dark pair of jeans (not blue jeans), a dress shirt AND a tie yet this STILL does not meet your interpretation of what is formal dress?

The standard he wasn't meeting is HAL's.

Maybe you should have checked his shoes as well? How about whether or not he was wearing socks?

HAL's dress code does not extend to footwear.

Edited by RuthC

The standard he wasn't meeting is HAL's.

HAL's dress code does not extend to footwear.

HAL has suggestions not a "Dress Code". A dress code implies sanctions that are enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I started this thread and I wll end it now.

All in favor of Rural Night, raise your right hand, unless you are left handed !

So sorry, G&G. Once you let the genie out of the bottle, you can't stuff him back in!:D

Yes with people dressed in Ball caps wife beaters and sweat pants it's beginning to lose it's luster. It won't be long before they wheel in the taco buffet by the lido pool, deal out red solo cups and paper plates and yell "Dig In"

Sigh, yet another who likes to exaggerate!!

HAL has suggestions not a "Dress Code". A dress code implies sanctions that are enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's always "Suggestions" for the clueless.

When you buy a stereo they suggest you don't eat the packing peanuts that came in the box

You should be nominated for the position of " Formal Attire Police" and you can stand at the entrance of the MDR and make sure everyone is dressed according to your standards! Some of you are such COWARDS! How about next time you walk right up to a guest and tell them to their face that they are not dressed appropriately for Formal Night. at least according to your standards. Obviously, the guest in question MADE the effort. Get a life!

Cool! I didn't even know this was a thing. I thought the only option was to stand around outside the dining room after dinner, sucking on candied ginger from the Yum-Yum man. Then, when under-dressed people came by, you whipped the candy at their heads so it would stick to their hair. :p Do you have to train for the position? You know... like be a deputy for a few cruises before you can be on the force?

fashion-police.gif