E-mail about $9.50 Consumption fee

I would say the missing honeymooner and the wild drinking partys in their cabin might have alot to do with this.

Maybe to much has been going on in cabins, drunk teens, wild partys.

RCCL trying to be they Carnival?????

What does carnival have to do with no more $9.50 fee?????

Whenever RCCL stops doing something there is always someone who comes back blaming Carnival. I paid alot more for x-tras on RCCL than on Carnival.

If true (and it would seem to be so) this is heartbreaking news, ABSOLUTEly gut wrenching. What will we do? I don't want to be a smuggler:D but the battle lines have been drawn...this is war. Like many, we enjoy a drink or three on our balcony before dinner, Baileys in the morning coffee on our balcony at sea (nothing better)...RCI will turn me into a criminal:) .

I would say the missing honeymooner and the wild drinking partys in their cabin might have alot to do with this.

Maybe to much has been going on in cabins, drunk teens, wild partys.

RCCL trying to be they Carnival?????

What does carnival have to do with no more $9.50 fee?????

Whenever RCCL stops doing something there is always someone who comes back blaming Carnival. I paid alot more for x-tras on RCCL than on Carnival.

My comment on Carnival was due to the fact that Carnival Corp. is a much more cash rich company than RCI. RCI is doing everything possible to try and catch up with Carnival money wise with these cuts and surcharges. No one was blaming Carnival.

I guess RCI has become so hell bent on trying to catch up with Carnival that they are going to squeeze every penny that they can out of their passengers.

I don't think that Fain has ever got over losing Princess to Carnival. The bottom line is that Carnival had bottomless pockets to compete and RCI did not. So what better way to line the coffers than to keep adding onto on board revenues.

This latest change is not huge for me but I did buy one bottle on the Navigator last year and used it in my cabin but my Sea Pass bill would have been no less if I hadn't used the liquor in my cabin. I have tried ordering drinks through room service and they suck. They are watered down by the time that they arrive to your cabin. I do not like to smuggle anything on board. Just not worth my time.

We all have a voice and that voice is our wallets. I guess if passengers get enough of this they can take their business to another line. Time will tell if this, the no discounting and JR's will be enough to start the move.

Of course I guess we could speak with our wallets in another way, we could still cruise with them but refuse to buy any liquor on the ship. Drink in port or smuggle if you wish but do not buy the bar set up, do not drinl in the lounges or order wine with dinner. Then make a comment on your comment card that you used to enjoy having a bottle to consume in your cabin but since they no longer do that you decided to make it a total liquor free cruise.

I know, it would be hard for me too, I like a drink before dinner or a fruity thingy at the pool but if enough people did it maybe that would get the point across as well. Might let them know that if they squeeze too hard the liquor revenue rock will dry up completely.

One more no answer answer:

Good Morning,

The in room consumption of liquor from the gift shops will be stopped beginning this weekend. This is a new policy from Royal Caribbean and our company. Once you purchase liquor it will be boxed and sent to your room on the last day of your cruise. We apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sylvia Pubchara 1-800-540-4785 phone 786-845-1111 fax

customer.service@starboardcruise.com

Starboard Cruise Services, Inc. Customer Service Department

DORAL CONCOURSE 8400 NW 36 STREET ste. 600 MIAMI, FL. 33166

www.starboardcruise.com

My post from the other thread about this... thought it was appropriate here, too!...

Fill bottles of mouthwash. The BIG bottles. 23 of them. Eat a LOT of garlic, liver and onions right before you board. Shwish with horseradish and hot sauce. When they question your 23 bottles of Scope, say "I nEEEEEEEEEEEd thEEEEEEEEEEEEEm. MHHHHHHy WWWWHHHHife, SSSSSHHHHHHHEEEEEE sAAAHHys ThEEEEEEEEEEEEres a prOOOOOOOOblem WWWHHHHith mHHHHHHHHHHHy brEEEAAAAth." (Just don't pass out trying to get all that air out.)

They'll let you through, no questions asked.

Of course, be sure to bring an air freshner for the room after that. :eek:

What I'd like to know, is what is the 3rd party vendor going to do with the space that previously was the liquor store. I don't know about other states, but here in Arizona, the price of liquor is about the same as on board. Why would I want to purchase liquor on board to haul home?

I talked with customer service at RCCL yesterday (see my post on the other $9.50 thread). It is RCCL and not the vendor that is making the new rule.

What erks me is that RCCL cannot give me a reason for the change, except for them to say "Rules change". They also told me that if they catch me with a bottle in my cabin, they will charge me a consumption fee!!!!:eek:

Rick

Okay, I'll admit it... there was some... er... CONFUSION about how much liquor we could bring back from our last cruise. The information desk said one thing, and the shopping talk guy said something different. We chose to believe the one that told us that we each had a limit at EACH port and a limit on the ship, duty free. After adding THAT up, we could bring in (between the two of us) TWELVE litres of liquor, duty free. Now, having cruised before, I thought this was off, but HEY that's what was told to us... anyway...

So we brought back 10 liters of liquor. (Including some Mayan coffe liquor from Belize... MMmmmm....) We brought it right on board ship, not concealed, not confiscated, not a problem. We wondered if they'd take it because the rule was posted about them taking it and returning it the last day of your cruise. We went right on through with our bottles and no one said a word. We didn't open them or drink them on the ship, but it was nice to pack them as we got them.

FUNNY LIQUOR STORY. We ended up putting ALL 10 BOTTLES in my carry-on. It was HEAVY! I was wearing my little veil and a shirt that said "BRIDE". I gingerly placed it on the x-ray machine. The guy running the x-ray stopped the machine with my bag obviously right under it, called his buddy over, pointed to the screen, pointed at us and BUSTED out laughing. As my bag came through, he handed it to me and said "expecting married life to be rough, eh?" and walked away laughing. It was funny.

You were just lucky, we have purchased booze in ports for years, sailed all but one mass marketed line and always had them convescate (spelling) it when we boarded the ship. The only time they did not was a few times we only had 1 bottle. Next time you will probably not be so lucky. NMnita

If true (and it would seem to be so) this is heartbreaking news, ABSOLUTEly gut wrenching. What will we do? I don't want to be a smuggler:D but the battle lines have been drawn...this is war. Like many, we enjoy a drink or three on our balcony before dinner, Baileys in the morning coffee on our balcony at sea (nothing better)...RCI will turn me into a criminal:) .

Love it!!!!

Here's what my friend has to say about confiscation. You gotta love it!!

"GLAD TO HEAR YOU GOT THE "JEWEL" FOR 4/30. STILL NO JR. SUITES. WHAT IS THIS WITH NO LIQUOR ON RCI. YOU WILL NEED TO TAKE AN EXTRA BAG ON JEWEL JUST FOR KETTLE ONE. THAT IS RIDICULOUS. EVEN THOUGH WE DO BRING SOME ALONG THEY ARE BEING INSANE. THEY STILL MAKE $ AT $9.50 A BOTTLE. PLUS IF PEOPLE HAVE IT IN THEIR CABINS THEY DO NOT NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE OVER INDULGERS CARRYING ON IN THE LOUNGES. PLUS SINCE JEWEL LEAVES FROM FLL YOU CAN PURCHASE HERE AND NOT DRAG IT. PROBABLY WITH OUR LUCK THEY WILL CONFISCATE IT AND HAVE A SENIOR CREW PARTY."

A Senior crew party:eek: :eek: ????? Now were getting somewhere!!!:D

So does that mean that the room steward is now going to be acting as a spy for RCI?

Maybe that's how RCCL is going to train shipboard personnel to act as investigators, so that there won't be more Honeymooner problems to turn over to the FBI!!:D

Looks like it's been pulled. Probably because it's the first time there was a negative post about RCCL that 100% of over 100 posts actually agreed on.

EVER!!! You would think that might tell them something.

Looks like it's been pulled. Probably because it's the first time there was a negative post about RCCL that 100% of over 100 posts actually agreed on.

EVER!!! You would think that might tell them something.

Nope it is still alive and well......I just posted an update.......

How can they charge a consumption fee for bottles left out in the open when they no longer recognize "consumption fees." Perhaps they should rethink their policy. Or perhaps we will all need to think of ways to hide the bottles or at least make them less obvious. Or perhaps they will start searching cabins for bottles and there will be a reward for those who find hidden bottles, Could be very exciting if a senior staff member is assigned the task of searching. Wonder what his title will be. :confused: :confused: :confused:

M & R

I can just see it now........

"Baltimore Maryland, September 16, 2005

A group of vacationers were arrested today by ATF at the Port of Baltimore after being detained by Royal Caribbean International security personell.

The group, from Northern Virginia, were returning to Baltimore after a 5 night cruise to Bermuda aboard Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas.

According to sources from the cruiseline, the group had been discovered by crew and staff hosting a speakeasy in one of the Junior Suites. Thirteen people were found in the cabin comsuming liquor, beer, and other alcohol substances and were detained until authorities were notified. The alcohol was confisated.

Crew members say they noticed irregularities when certain passengers seemed to be missing from the onboard bars. After further investigation by senior crew, sounds of joy and celebration were reported coming from the vicinity of cabin 8038. Company officials stated, crew entered the cabin and found the happy group."

.......maybe the crew will start conducting raids like they did back during prohibition.... LOL

This was one of the nice things that separated RCCL from other lines. Why are we writing to Starboard?? Who are they?? Should we not be emailing to RCCL directly?

Thoughts please

P.S. I agree we should all send emails until they reverse this policy.

This was one of the nice things that separated RCCL from other lines. Why are we writing to Starboard?? Who are they?? Should we not be emailing to RCCL directly?

Thoughts please

P.S. I agree we should all send emails until they reverse this policy.

Many of us have written to RCCL at

cruisecomments@rccl.com

See the other thread regarding this policy also

They also told me that if they catch me with a bottle in my cabin, they will charge me a consumption fee!!!!:eek:

Rick

!!!!

Or perhaps they will start searching cabins for bottles and there will be a reward for those who find hidden bottles, Could be very exciting if a senior staff member is assigned the task of searching. Wonder what his title will be.

Inspector Grab-it?

Agent Double OH 70 proof?

The Spy Who Dimed Me?

Dr. No?

Archived