E-mail about $9.50 Consumption fee

Here is the e-mail I sent about the $9.50 fee and the response I received.

Good Afternoon,

As of the beginning of August $9.50 in cabin consumption fee will be stopped. You will pay for the regular price of the bottle and it will be given to you at the end of the cruise. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sylvia Pubchara

1-800-540-4785 phone

786-845-1111 fax

customer.service@starboardcruise.com

Starboard Cruise Services, Inc.

Customer Service Department

DORAL CONCOURSE

8400 NW 36 STREET ste. 600

MIAMI, FL. 33166

www.starboardcruise.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 12:09 PM

To: STARBOARD_CUSTOMER_SERVICE

Subject: $9.50 fee

I recently traveled on the Rhapsody of the Seas (RCCL) and was able to purchase a bottle of rum in the gift shop and for a fee of $9.50 I was allowed to bring it back to my cabin. When I was purchasing the alcohol, the sales representative told me that this service was going to be stopped and that alcohol was no longer going to be allowed to be brought back to the cabin. Is this true?

I, too just sent an e-mail regarding this new policy. We spend plenty on soda cards, drink of the day, in the bars...and we really enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail on our balcony with the liquor we were able to purchase and take to our cabin. I hope they reconsider this new policy, but i'm guessing they will not.

If this is a third party company that runs the liquor store it may be out of their control if they needed to sign a new contract with RCI and this was one of the stipulations. I would send e-mails this company and RCI.

Received my reply.....seems to be a standard response as they did not answer the WHY. Although they have implied the RCI is part of this decision. Time to email RCI and ask them WHY now.

Good Afternoon,

As of the beginning of August there will be no more purchases for in cabin consumption. Purchases will be made and delivered in a sealed box the last day of your cruise. Royal Caribbean and our company have created this new procedure. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sylvia Pubchara

1-800-540-4785 phone

786-845-1111 fax

DORAL CONCOURSE

MIAMI, FL. 33166

www.starboardcruise.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:11 PM

Subject: Consumption fee on RCI

I have heard that the fee of $9.50 per bottle that allows you to take your bottle to your cabin for consumption is being phased out. WHY?

Can you please explain to me the reasoning behind the stopping of this option when purchasing liquer on board the ship?

Upon contacting RCI they are unaware that this is going to happen.

Thank you

Angie

here's what I just received. Not good news!

From: STARBOARD_CUSTOMER_SERVICE [mailto:customer.service@starboardcruise.com]

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:08 PM

To:

Subject: RE: Consumption fee

Good Afternoon,

Royal Caribbean and our company have decided not to continue the fee for in cabin consumption. Once the liquor is purchased it will be delivered at the end of your cruise in a sealed box. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sylvia Pubchara

1-800-540-4785 phone

786-845-1111 fax

DORAL CONCOURSE

MIAMI, FL. 33166

www.starboardcruise.com

Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 1:42 PM

Subject: Consumption fee

Why are you doing away with the consumption fee on RCCLs? Isn't this going to cost you money when everyone sneaks there own on board? I just don't understand this. Please respond.

Maybe RCI is cutting out the middleman and will sell the alcohol through room service at the duty free plus $9.50 price. Time will tell. We'll be on Monarch Labor Day weekend, so I will post anything I find out.

Meanwhile, there will be an extra shampoo bottle in my dopp kit.:D

Wish you guys all luck, but with NCL cutting this out years ago, we all knew other lines or companies would soon follow. I am not trying to be cheap, but you know, it's those of us who support the bars that also like to have a drink or two in our cabins. We have a couple of choices now: either sneak the booze on cause I can assure you if they have stopped the consumption policy, next will be close monitoring of liquor being brought on board: it too will be convescated: the other option is what we have to do when cruising NCL: pay for a set up fee: $40 plus $3 service charge just to have 1 bottle of booze in our cabin to consume while dressing for dinner or whatever. The only positive thing: it is good stuff!!!

Here I was hoping NCL will follow the other companies and stop this stupidity, but it looks like visa versa is happening. NMNita

Everyone needs to email RCCL about this, hopefully if this ruffles enought feathers we can get it changed.

I emailed and got this reply

"Good Afternoon,

Beginning this weekend there will no longer be in cabin consumption of alcohol purchased through the gift shop. This pertains to all Royal Caribbean Ships. As in most other cruise lines, the bottles purchased will be given in a sealed container at the end of the cruise. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Sylvia Pubchara

1-800-540-4785 phone

786-845-1111 fax

"

I sent a follow up asking who at a higher level at RCCL could be contacted, when I find out I will let everyone know.

Okay, I'll admit it... there was some... er... CONFUSION about how much liquor we could bring back from our last cruise. The information desk said one thing, and the shopping talk guy said something different. We chose to believe the one that told us that we each had a limit at EACH port and a limit on the ship, duty free. After adding THAT up, we could bring in (between the two of us) TWELVE litres of liquor, duty free. Now, having cruised before, I thought this was off, but HEY that's what was told to us... anyway...

So we brought back 10 liters of liquor. (Including some Mayan coffe liquor from Belize... MMmmmm....) We brought it right on board ship, not concealed, not confiscated, not a problem. We wondered if they'd take it because the rule was posted about them taking it and returning it the last day of your cruise. We went right on through with our bottles and no one said a word. We didn't open them or drink them on the ship, but it was nice to pack them as we got them.

FUNNY LIQUOR STORY. We ended up putting ALL 10 BOTTLES in my carry-on. It was HEAVY! I was wearing my little veil and a shirt that said "BRIDE". I gingerly placed it on the x-ray machine. The guy running the x-ray stopped the machine with my bag obviously right under it, called his buddy over, pointed to the screen, pointed at us and BUSTED out laughing. As my bag came through, he handed it to me and said "expecting married life to be rough, eh?" and walked away laughing. It was funny.

Wow, RCI got away with the surcharge at Johnny Rocket's now they start playing with people's alcohol. Hamburgers are one thing but now we are talking important stuff. I can't wait to see what you guys all do with this! :D

I'll be interested in seeing a response from RCCL and not the contractor who operates the shops on the ships. RCCL is the one who sets the policy, maybe they will respond to somebody's email.

Bill

kybill: It's just my interpretation, but I really got the feeling from what the company said that they operate at RCI's pleasure. I don't think that they set policy one way or the other; they just carry out RCI policy.

Carol

I have emailed RCCL through their website, however I am almost certain that the low level employee who replies cannot influence this policy. Does anyone have emails or contact information for management level RCCL employees that we could bombard with email on this topic?

I guess RCI has become so hell bent on trying to catch up with Carnival that they are going to squeeze every penny that they can out of their passengers.

I don't think that Fain has ever got over losing Princess to Carnival. The bottom line is that Carnival had bottomless pockets to compete and RCI did not. So what better way to line the coffers than to keep adding onto on board revenues.

This latest change is not huge for me but I did buy one bottle on the Navigator last year and used it in my cabin but my Sea Pass bill would have been no less if I hadn't used the liquor in my cabin. I have tried ordering drinks through room service and they suck. They are watered down by the time that they arrive to your cabin. I do not like to smuggle anything on board. Just not worth my time.

We all have a voice and that voice is our wallets. I guess if passengers get enough of this they can take their business to another line. Time will tell if this, the no discounting and JR's will be enough to start the move.

Last year on our Celebrity cruise you couldn't buy liquor at the duty free stores but they did have a liquor package that could be purchased and delivered to the room. It consisted of a bottle of liquor, 6 sodas, and a couple packages of nuts. Cost $55.00 for Crown Royal. Perhaps RCI is thinking of going this way for both lines as it must be a profit maker. We were lucky as our children surprised us with this as a gift.

Last year on our Celebrity cruise you couldn't buy liquor at the duty free stores but they did have a liquor package that could be purchased and delivered to the room. It consisted of a bottle of liquor, 6 sodas, and a couple packages of nuts. Cost $55.00 for Crown Royal. Perhaps RCI is thinking of going this way for both lines as it must be a profit maker. We were lucky as our children surprised us with this as a gift.

I wouldn't have a problem with this is that's the case but tell everyone when the change is made. I will pay for convenience and service. I don't place alcohol in my cabin to save money, I do it for the convenience of having a drink or two prior to dinner on the balcony.

With our first cruise this spring on Celebration, we found that it was extremely easy to ummmm...(thinking of how to phrase this delicately) bring items with us that would not meet normal scrutiny:rolleyes:

Was very simple - put in checked bags with zippers tie-locked shut. No problems at all (was afraid of the old Samsonite commercial - ya know- the one with the ape?). Like others have said, even with this, we still consummed mixed drinks @ dinner and in various lounges/bars. Not sure it really had any financial impact on our sign & sail or not.

Just my imput;)

Archived