Hopefully, Live From the MS Amsterdam May 17 - June 1, 2014

May 19/14

Some additional info, specifically for RuthC:

Guitarist is Michael

Piano Bar entertainer is Derek - I'm guessing that's in the Amstel Cafe.since there doesn't appear to be a dedicated piano bar. The On Location guide says it's on Deck 5.

There has been Rockin Roadhouse in the Queens lounge, three times a night. It was on on Saturday night on the one day segment and is on again tonight. It features the HalCats and the singers & dancers two stepping through country music's favourite hits.

I'll post more on the other entertainers when that info becomes available.

Jazzy is the show host. Gene Young is our CD but he is in Seattle for a few days. Jazzy is filling in until Gene joins us in Juneau.

The Captain is Fred Eversen. I do not yet know who is the Hotel Director.

Thank you for all that information! :) I appreciate it.

I know there will be some changes by the time I sail in August (Diane Fast will be in the Piano Lounge, for example), but I am sure some of it will still be accurate. I love being able to look forward to seeing some of these people.

OP I agree with you about the wrinkled covered chairs. The covered chairs were pressed and tied with a sash at my daughters wedding in March and it was magical, but wrinkled chair covers make the dining room tacky.

I frequently order the cheese plate instead of dessert. I like having the assortment, but since you like a particular cheese perhaps you could order it the day before and they would have it ready for you.

DSIL loved the cheese and ended up ordering the same 4 night after night. By about day 3 the waiters knew her preference and would just confirm those were her selection.

I loved the option and tried all of them over the course of our 10 day cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If memory serves me right, there were cheese plates offered for dessert on both my 2008 and 2011 AK cruises, but it was always with the same cheese. I am a vegetarian and one night, although the main entree was good, it was not high in protein. I asked if I could get some cheese to go along with the entree. My waiter brought me the cheese and fruit platter. Not exactly what I asked for, but I understood it was probably just simpler to grab a prepared plate. It worked for me. I continued to ask for the cheese plate whenever I needed extra protein.

We had a selection of 15 or 16 cheeses from which to choose. Stilton was generally a stable for us, but we cycled through all the others. I really hope they don't 86 the larger cheese menu. It was a welcome upgrade over old four cheese (almost) never-changing plate.

Hi

Enjoying you live report. Thank you for doing it. Will hope to repeat doing one in June when I take the same cruise. Thank you for the formal night schulde. What did you want table 37? I don't have the two or 3rd for a night long story) tables . My first one was beside the serves table and we had Officer's join us a few nights. I loved it and thought it so interesting to chat with them. Plus free wine. The other we had a window on port side. Nice table. Since I am always the first one there I made sure I did not sit by the window each night. I am always the first to enter the MRD except for the dopes that thinks they can just walak in while the cleaning up the dinning room and they just walk by the people standing in line to enter. UMM why do you think we standing here. They are chased out of the dinning room. Its so sad as they do it every night. They just cut the line and walk in. I guess they are queen or kings at home. I see you had rain today. I hope you crab tour was good. I am a big fan and taking this tour also. they changed out time from morning till one. I hate it but what can you do.

Thanks again

MAry

May 20/14 Ketchikan

Room service for breakfast this morning, and it was punctual and accurate. We docked close to 7:30 and the ship was cleared shortly after that. The previous two times I've been to Ketchikan it was dry each time. Today my luck ran out. It rained off and on until we returned to the ship around 3 pm; then it was lovely and sunny. We docked at Berth 3 which is where the Aleutian Ballad is docked. We had a very short walk to our tour!

The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour was very good and well worth the price. The tour was not full, even though there were three other ships in port with us. As it was raining, everyone stayed on the lower level. First, we were taken to a spot where the guys pulled up a fishing line. The fish were then chopped up and fed to the bald eagles a little farther on. That was amazing; there were at least 50 eagles, maybe a lot more. It was really cool to see them soaring and swooping down to get the fish.

After that, we went to various spots where they pulled up crab pots. We could hold snow and box crab, they held the king crab and the Dungeness crab. As long as they held it, we could touch the crabs. After everyone had an opportunity to hold or touch the crab, they put them back in the pot and put them overboard. The last thing they showed us was a Pacific octopus which was also returned to the water. In between all that, they spoke about what it was like out in the Bering Sea, working on the boats and told us of their adventures. They did talk about the show but the tour was not about the show. Both DM and I really enjoyed the tour even though we have never seen the show.

We played trivia again today. Yesterday, we lost but today we got every question right but one. We won HAL rain hats which would have come in handy when we were out and about today.

Someone asked about the cost of the thermal suite - it's usually $299 for one person now $199; for two people, it's usually $399, now $299. That includes the hydro pool. That info comes from the sheet the spa receptionist gave me. I have no idea when the discounted price comes into effect. Maybe budget for the higher price and then be happy if it's the lower price!

Dinner last night was very good. Three of us had prime rib au jus. Each got it in their desired way. Two had cod and the other had linguini with clams, scallops and one other type of shellfish. I ordered a scoop of beet risotto so I could try it. I specifically asked for a scoop, not a bowl. I really should know better; I received a bowl. Actually, it was a small potion so it could have been a really big scoop! I love both beets and risotto but I didn't really care for beet risotto. It was a little odd. Pretty colour, though!

After dinner, we went to the show. It was a comedian, Glenn Hirsch. He was good. There were some different takes on the usual cruise ship jokes, so that was refreshing. After the show, we went to the Amstel Bar aka the Piano Bar for Neil Diamond Name That Tune. We tied for first place! We won a HAL Alaska pin.

It was a full but very good day on the Amsterdam. Tomorrow, we are cruising Tracy Arm and DM and I are having lunch in the PG for the first time ever because of recommendations here on CC.

Hi

Enjoying you live report. Thank you for doing it. Will hope to repeat doing one in June when I take the same cruise. Thank you for the formal night schulde. What did you want table 37? I don't have the two or 3rd for a night long story) tables . My first one was beside the serves table and we had Officer's join us a few nights. I loved it and thought it so interesting to chat with them. Plus free wine. The other we had a window on port side. Nice table. Since I am always the first one there I made sure I did not sit by the window each night. I am always the first to enter the MRD except for the dopes that thinks they can just walak in while the cleaning up the dinning room and they just walk by the people standing in line to enter. UMM why do you think we standing here. They are chased out of the dinning room. Its so sad as they do it every night. They just cut the line and walk in. I guess they are queen or kings at home. I see you had rain today. I hope you crab tour was good. I am a big fan and taking this tour also. they changed out time from morning till one. I hate it but what can you do.

Thanks again

MAry

Table 37 is right by the window, at the very back, over the wake. We had that table during our Baltic cruise and it was just magical when we sailed out of a port, like Stockholm or St. Petersburg. You don't feel you miss anything while at dinner.

We had a selection of 15 or 16 cheeses from which to choose. Stilton was generally a stable for us, but we cycled through all the others. I really hope they don't 86 the larger cheese menu. It was a welcome upgrade over old four cheese (almost) never-changing plate.

The cheese plate in the MDR has had different selections every night but it does seem to be based on the larger cheese menu. I'm certainly not a cheese expert but it seems to have one of four distinct categories of cheese. I'll try to find out more if I have the opportunity.

AMEN!

Thanks so much AQ for your report, especially the rigors of the beverage card ;)

Oh, yes, the SBP. What a waste for us, if we had to pay for it. Which is why we have never purchased it in the past. No way could we break even with that package! Even if one could do it, think of all the empty calories that one is consuming!

For myself, I don't drink coffee at all, unless it has oodles of alcohol to kill the taste of the coffee, and even then I may only have it once a year. I no longer drink pop (soda to you Americans) unless it is in a mixed drink. At home, I can go for months without any alcohol. On a cruise, I usually drink ice water and iced tea - all free. And I get my one or two happy hour mojito(s). That's all.

There appear to be some pax who are bound and determined to reach the 15 drink target. The reports I've heard are not pretty...

Oh, yes, the SBP. What a waste for us, if we had to pay for it. Which is why we have never purchased it in the past. No way could we break even with that package! Even if one could do it, think of all the empty calories that one is consuming!

For myself, I don't drink coffee at all, unless it has oodles of alcohol to kill the taste of the coffee, and even then I may only have it once a year. I no longer drink pop (soda to you Americans) unless it is in a mixed drink. At home, I can go for months without any alcohol. On a cruise, I usually drink ice water and iced tea - all free. And I get my one or two happy hour mojito(s). That's all.

There appear to be some pax who are bound and determined to reach the 15 drink target. The reports I've heard are not pretty...

I'll drink to that! I usually drink water and coffee, but have the SBP due to the Explore4. They will save money on us.