Veteran credits?

SeaBands

My husband was a Viet Nam Veteran and he never received any consideration from HAL for that.

HAL may not offer consideration to veterans, but I am grateful for your husband and all others who have served us so well.

My thoughts continue to be with you.

HAL may not offer consideration to veterans, but I am grateful for your husband and all others who have served us so well.

My thoughts continue to be with you.

Thank you, Marsha.

We had Military Honors for him at his funeral.

As previously mentioned, different companies, different philosophies. I can understand why some companies choose to extend extra benefits to vets, just as I can easily understand those that choose not to. It is far to easy to offend people these days, and by not offering anything, perhaps they feel they can avoid profit loss from those that wouldn't like it. (Ie, those that can't understand the simple concept of being able to "support the troops, not the war". On the flip side and in all fairness, I've seen active/reserve/and vets that expect others to respect them simply because of what they did).

IMO, I respect everyone, from our service members, to police/fire/EMS (to include the often forgotten underpaid civilians in those areas as well), to OTR truck drivers, to the guy working two shifts overnight at the minimart trying to keep his business alive. EVERYONE, imo, is equally important and they all have a roll to play in the grand scheme of things. We, (society), need everyone. Lose just one of those jobs/careers, and it has catastrophic effects on our way of life.

So, after that short novel, RESPECT and Thanks to EVERYONE!!!!! /hugs for all

I just wonder why HAL doesn't offer service members and vets the same OBCs that Princess and Carnival offer? Too many old people that would get them?

You may want to ask HAL that question.

I just wonder why HAL doesn't offer service members and vets the same OBCs that Princess and Carnival offer? Too many old people that would get them?

There are certainly a good number of young veterans. DH was a Viet Nam Veteran but when he returned from that war he was a very young man.

There are many ways to find posts you or anyone else has made on Cruise Critic. You can click on "Search" and then "Advanced Search" to get to this page: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php The "Search by User Name" function offers the option to search for all posts or just threads started by the user.

You might also explore your User CP page links.

Also Celebrity and Cunard, as far as I know. These other lines also offer "military rates" to both active and retired military folks while HAL only offers it to active military.

Also Celebrity and Cunard, as far as I know. These other lines also offer "military rates" to both active and retired military folks while HAL only offers it to active military.

HAL's military policy is one of the principal reasons that I have leaned toward Princess in recent years. Princess even includes all veterans with more than 3 years active duty. I really appreciate that!

We recently sailed on the Grand Princess to Hawaii; loved the ship and the service. DH also loved the military onboard credit. It was very nice, and a nice tribute to those who have served and who are serving. This is one factor that has helped us in deciding to take another Princess cruise.

Thanks for this thread... My son will be joining us (fingers crossed) for the Southern Caribbean Wayfarer next March. He is on active duty. I will email my PCC and get his status noted. I do wish HAL would recognize all honorable service. I appreciate there are challenges to verifying that service, but all of us know where our DD214 is :). There are a lot of folks like me, young and old, who served but not for a retirement eligible career. Any product differentiator could unnecessarily reduce HAL's cruising base.

Dennis

I was able to get this credit on Carnival which allowed us to dine in their supper club almost every night. I wish HAL offered this. I was planning on a Princess cruise and had the paperwork ready but decided on a HAL cruise instead.

We are in the stages of planning a cruise to the Panama Canal - did not even think about Princess and the military credit. DH is a retired (career) Viet Nam and Desert Storm vet.

Okie

We are in the stages of planning a cruise to the Panama Canal - did not even think about Princess and the military credit. DH is a retired (career) Viet Nam and Desert Storm vet.

Okie

If you happen to see a ship/itinerary on HAL you prefer over Princess, why not send and e-mail/telephone and ask for a Veteran's discount. It might be interesting to hear the response. Nothing to lose by asking. :)

Does it have anything to do with HAL being flagged in the Netherlands as opposed to being "fake flagged" in some other place?

While I also give thanks to our US vets, would it not be appropriate for an EU flagged ship to give benefits to all vets from the US, Canada and the EU? Many countries have young women and men who have served.

If you happen to see a ship/itinerary on HAL you prefer over Princess, why not send and e-mail/telephone and ask for a Veteran's discount. It might be interesting to hear the response. Nothing to lose by asking. :)

I think this deserves a concerted effort. As I stated earlier I am going to email my PCC on my son's active duty status, and I will raise the issue of service by others in the party, ie. myself :)

Dennis