How do I use iPhone for pictures only and not get charges

We want to use our phones for pictures and be sure that we don't get any cell or data charges when we're on our cruise. We both have the Iphone 5. Will just turning of cell data and data roaming do it or do we also need put it in airplane mode?

We want to use our phones for pictures and be sure that we don't get any cell or data charges when we're on our cruise. We both have the Iphone 5. Will just turning of cell data and data roaming do it or do we also need put it in airplane mode?

No worries... Airplane mode will do the trick. It's the only thing I do to my phone while at sea.....never any problems. Enjoy!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I plan on purchasing a wifi plan on FOS for our July cruise and using imessage while in airplane mode. I'm pretty sure I wont incur any charges and will be able to communicate while we're on board. Am I missing anything with this theory?

I plan on purchasing a wifi plan on FOS for our July cruise and using imessage while in airplane mode. I'm pretty sure I wont incur any charges and will be able to communicate while we're on board. Am I missing anything with this theory?

You should not receive any extra charges from your cell carrier.

We are just disembarking & yep airplane mode worked great. Just check each morning if you power down. One morning it switched out of mode, I have iPhone 5s

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

We are just disembarking & yep airplane mode worked great. Just check each morning if you power down. One morning it switched out of mode, I have iPhone 5s

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Thanks! We are boarding Allure a week from today!!

from what ive read, wifi is really slow aboard remember, everyone with the plan is using the one system. a nice alternative is to research the free wifi spots near the port. walk into the port, have a beer or soda, and log in for free...

Thanks, I have the free wifi app on my phone and I will do that :D

if you are out to see miles from land, there are no cell towers for you to get reception...

True, but according to AT&T, subscribers' cell phones will automatically connect to RCCL's Cellular at Sea service. If you're iPhone is not it airplane mode while at sea, charges could accrue.

Lew

Turning data roaming off will prevent any data charges but you would still be able to make/receive phone calls and send/receive texts. As others have said, airplane mode also works plus it prevents calls and texts. Just remember that incoming text messages are free so if it is important to stay in touch with folks back home, airplane mode will prevent that.

When in airplane mode, you can still turn wifi on.

I don't think your wifi app will work without data but you can always just turn wifi on and see what shows up.

Data refers to cellular data. Wi-Fi will work whether cellular data is on or off.

I don't know what free wifi app lovesthebeach2 is referring to...

Lew

Data refers to cellular data. Wi-Fi will work whether cellular data is on or off.

I don't know what free wifi app lovesthebeach2 is referring to...

Lew

I think they were referring to the app that helps you find locations that offer free WiFi in your vicinity.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks everyone, we are considering purchasing a wifi plan for the ship but in case we don't I wanted to be sure we wouldn't get any charges while in ports. Will I be able to use wifi while in airplane mode?

When you first go into airplane mode, all communications on the phone is turned off, including WiFi. You would then have to manually turn WiFi back on, but cellular communications would still stay off.

I turned off roaming and put it in airplane mode. I wanted to text my friend a couple times from dry land because she was watching my dog. If roaming isn't turned off pence you take it out of airplane mode everything will come flooding to your phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, turn off iMessage if you are planning to text. That uses data. I found out the hard way.

Another thing that uses data is MMS (texting with photo) messages.

Also, turn off iMessage if you are planning to text. That uses data. I found out the hard way.

If you turn iMessage off, you won't be able to text unless you use a different text app. iMessage operates over Wi-Fi or cellular.

Lew

If you turn iMessage off, you won't be able to text unless you use a different text app. iMessage operates over Wi-Fi or cellular.

Lew

Any phone can use SMS texting without a data connection.

Lew

You don't need a different message app. With iMessage turned off, the iPhone message app can still send normal SMS and MMS messages, provided the appropriate services are enabled. SMS requires normal cellular service, MMS requires that cellular data is enabled. Even though MMS requires cellular data to work, it is not billed as data. If you have an international texting plan, it counts against that plan. If not, each text or picture is billed separately. ATT charges 50 cents for each sent SMS or MMS if not on a plan. Incoming SMS or MMS messages are free.