Falmouth, Jamaica - Port

VacayVik

Hi All!

So I have cruised many places in the Caribbean, but have not been to Falmouth yet! I set sail less than two weeks and have heard it is not the safest port. We normally don't do excursions, but have been recommended by numerous people.

I have done my research, and the Bamboo Beach Club looks like a great deal! It included food and drinks! It shows it's an hour away...but other than that I feel that's the best deal.

Has anyone been on the excursion? Also, any feedback about this port would be much appreciated!

Happy cruising! :o

Hi All!

So I have cruised many places in the Caribbean, but have not been to Falmouth yet! I set sail less than two weeks and have heard it is not the safest port. We normally don't do excursions, but have been recommended by numerous people.

I have done my research, and the Bamboo Beach Club looks like a great deal! It included food and drinks! It shows it's an hour away...but other than that I feel that's the best deal.

Has anyone been on the excursion? Also, any feedback about this port would be much appreciated!

Happy cruising! :o

Falmouth is a distance from the traditional excursions people have taken so extended travel is required.

Falmouth port area is a developed commercial area of acreage that is within a security area kept fairly secure.

Enjoy it

We had our young kids off the ship and with us and enjoyed the time off the ship.

Don't hesitate to get off the ship at least and do this. You will enjoy.

We didn't do the BAMBOO BEACH CLUB excursion but we did another and enjoyed our time.

I have been to Falmouth. You can get off the ship and walk around a very secure area to shop. The vendors (street vendors, for hair braiding and such) must get permission each day to come into that area. Just beyond that area you go through the security gate and there are many taxis waiting. It is an extremely poor area and there is a bar on the corner that you can purchase illegal things in that is to the left of the security gate. I don't think anyone would hurt you but they do want to sell you there wares and they are somewhat aggressive -outside the secured part.

Inside the security area surrounding the ship is kind of a carnival atmosphere. Falmouth is beautiful, not to be missed.

I didn't do a shore excursion so that's all I know.

I have been to Falmouth. You can get off the ship and walk around a very secure area to shop. The vendors (street vendors, for hair braiding and such) must get permission each day to come into that area. Just beyond that area you go through the security gate and there are many taxis waiting. It is an extremely poor area and there is a bar on the corner that you can purchase illegal things in that is to the left of the security gate. I don't think anyone would hurt you but they do want to sell you there wares and they are somewhat aggressive -outside the secured part.

Inside the security area surrounding the ship is kind of a carnival atmosphere. Falmouth is beautiful, not to be missed.

I didn't do a shore excursion so that's all I know.

Thank you for your input! Do you know if the excursions pick you up inside of the secured area, or outside of it?

We did the plantation tour last yr, the port is industrial, there is not any real tourist stuff there, the terminal area is secure though, typical tourist area, kinda like Ocho Rios, if you have been there. They pick you up inside the gates

Right outside the gate they take you through town, it looked pretty rough to me and I am a pretty brave dude, they had a farmers market going on.

The plantation tour was great though, beautiful area.

1459068_10201868469805895_196947051_n_zps1158e1e0.jpg

603148_10201868452925473_2141050600_n_zps1ebf7ed9.jpg

1003240_10201868457245581_1019510347_n_zps4aedab18.jpg

1451998_10201868460605665_1423775538_n_zps88760470.jpg

Edited by rp23g7

Thank you for your input! Do you know if the excursions pick you up inside of the secured area, or outside of it?

We have done two ships tours in Falmouth. Both times we were picked up inside the secure area. On tour was a beach visit and the other was a horse drawn carriage ride. We got to see the real Jamaica but felt safe on the tour. People would wave at us as we went by. I would not walk around the area.

they pick up inside the security area..but it can get confusing with so many tours going out...make sure you get in the right line if you are doing a tour.

We did the RC dunns river falls/snorkeling full day excursion and loved it. Felt totally secure and got to see some of the island as you do have to take a bus to the other port.

we picked the RC tour as it was a full day and that way we were sure we were going to make it back to the boat!!

At Dunns there is an area of "sellers" that can be pushy but our tour leader lead us up the path so we avoided that area and went back to the security area to do our shopping before getting back on the ship

We were just there and had a great time rafting down the Martha Brae. No work was required, we just sat back and left the rafting to our captain. He provided us with a lot of info as we rolled along, serenaded us, and told interesting stories. The ride to the staging area wasn't long. Afterwards, we went for lunch which was included in the price of the ship sponsored excursion. A very nice day, with time left to shop/stroll in the enclosed area.

We did the bamboo beach club in Feb. this year. We had a great time. For me it was a bit different than other excursions we have done. They picked us up in the secure area on a bus that was not really nice. Two young ladies talked to us about Jamaica most of the way there and back. I got to see things that I have never seen before and would not have ever seen if we had not done this. I saw where people lived that made us feel wealthy. Huts. The beach was nice and the food was good. The drinks were strong. They had one that was called a drunken coconut if I recall. It was a coconut with a straw in it filled with rum punch. For me the ride on the bus may be my most memorable thing from our whole cruise. I saw what poverty really is in a beautiful country.

Others have described the port very well. We chose to see some of Jamaica rather than stay in one spot.

I recommend Courtney Taylor tours.

They know where to go and best way to get there. Did blue hole and lunch with shopping. Was nice to have a driver for the day, we learned a lot about Jamaica.

Mello is the Man!!

Edited by Brandonclan

We loved our day at the Bamboo Beach Club. It was very relaxing, there was entertainment, the guys and gals were very attentive to make sure you always had plenty to eat and drink, you could have a massage (extra charge) if you wished. There was also shade, which is great. A beach day with nothing but sun can wear you out in a hurry. I certainly recommend this excursion. The hour's drive in each direction is very scenic, so I didn't find it to be a negative point.

Others have described the port very well. We chose to see some of Jamaica rather than stay in one spot.

I recommend Courtney Taylor tours.

They know where to go and best way to get there. Did blue hole and lunch with shopping. Was nice to have a driver for the day, we learned a lot about Jamaica.

Mello is the Man!!

Definitely a thumbs up for Courtney Taylor. They will customize a tour just for you.

I actually didn't care for Bamboo beach club. I thought the sand was so rough ..felt like I was sinking in kitty litter! You are taken in a group and need to sit with your group. Our group was right in front of the speaker where the music was blearing and ruined my beach day. I wanted to move further down, but I would not be with our group or our hostesses. Walking into the water was very rocky. It did seem much better further down to the left (if you were facing the water).

The "dancers" came out and did their thing on a piece of plywood on the sand..lol DH took pictures and a guy from the bar came up to us and we were told not to take any more pictures of the dancers (probably because they wanted to sell them and make money off of them). I feel I should be able to take pics of whatever I want to when I am on vacation

It just wan't my idea of a nice beach experience. I would not feel comfortable recommending Bamboo to anyone.

I call the area inside the secured zone "Fake Jamaica". Its sort of the Disney version.

This is not always a bad thing. Think of all of the people who visit Disneyworld/Disneyland every year! :D

Within the secured gates is VERY safe. There's even a Margaritaville in the secured area now.

LuLu

For me the ride on the bus may be my most memorable thing from our whole cruise. I saw what poverty really is in a beautiful country.

we did a tour a few years ago to the falls and a tube float and you are absolutely right about the poverty. I am glad that our guide took us in the area so I could show my daughter what poverty is. btw, when we did the tube float, the locals came down to bathe and do laundry in the river.

We don't know how good we really have it

we did a tour a few years ago to the falls and a tube float and you are absolutely right about the poverty. I am glad that our guide took us in the area so I could show my daughter what poverty is. btw, when we did the tube float, the locals came down to bathe and do laundry in the river.

We don't know how good we really have it

We are all very fortunate to be able to cruise and should be thankful for the things we have in life.

We did the bamboo beach club in Feb. this year. We had a great time. For me it was a bit different than other excursions we have done. They picked us up in the secure area on a bus that was not really nice. Two young ladies talked to us about Jamaica most of the way there and back. I got to see things that I have never seen before and would not have ever seen if we had not done this. I saw where people lived that made us feel wealthy. Huts. The beach was nice and the food was good. The drinks were strong. They had one that was called a drunken coconut if I recall. It was a coconut with a straw in it filled with rum punch. For me the ride on the bus may be my most memorable thing from our whole cruise. I saw what poverty really is in a beautiful country.

As I said above, we are all very fortunate to be able to cruise as most of these people will never be able to leave their island and venture out like us with cruising.

We just returned from a stop in Falmouth last month and used this company:

http://www.libertytoursjamaica.com

We found them from these forums and also have a high rating on Trip Advisor.

We were very happy with our choice. We visited The Blue Hole, which is only offered thru a private company like this one, not thru the ship tours.

It is very beautiful, private and secluded. There are waterfalls, hidden caves, a Tarzan rope swing and a wooded area with paths to walk on. The guides at the Blue Hole help you every step of the way. They even do cliff diving.

There is a video on Liberty's website that will blow you away.

This by far was the best private excursion we have done!!

We are all very fortunate to be able to cruise and should be thankful for the things we have in life.

As I said above, we are all very fortunate to be able to cruise as most of these people will never be able to leave their island and venture out like us with cruising.

This is true! Jamaica is actually a beautiful island and well worth seeing.

In our case we've been having port stops in Jamaica for a very long time.

Back then, every Western Caribbean we took had a port stop in either MoBay or Ocho Rios so we've done all of the popular and much more. Glad we did!

Now, we are quite happy to stay within secured terminal area at Falmouth. :)

LuLu

We loved our day at the Bamboo Beach Club. It was very relaxing, there was entertainment, the guys and gals were very attentive to make sure you always had plenty to eat and drink, you could have a massage (extra charge) if you wished. There was also shade, which is great. A beach day with nothing but sun can wear you out in a hurry. I certainly recommend this excursion. The hour's drive in each direction is very scenic, so I didn't find it to be a negative point.

Great information! It really looks good... Question, how long is the ride to and from? Is it a large bus or small? And do you remember how much massages were??? That's sounds FABULOUS!

Thanks for all of your help everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We'll be here on Oasis in July. Not happy, but the Western Oasis was significantly less expensive than the Eastern Allure leaving the next day. Go figure.

Some of the excursions sound fun, like the rafting/tubing, although the hour-long drive seems like a drag. That said, we are very hesitant to spend money, and even set foot off the ship because of the virulent homophobia in this country. Partly out of principle and partly out of the fact that we don't want to have to hide who we are. Same-gender sexual activity is still illegal here, and not like we're going to partake in that, but I'd be worried about even holding hands or a quick kiss, something that opposite-sex couples almost never even have to think twice about.

Sigh.