Summit Buffet: Erase my memory! (rant)

JEDIKNIGHT

I'm gonna have to jump in and ask the OP to stop bashing NJ. It's getting old and it's obnoxious. I'm from NJ and proud of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll second that. The NJ, US, Texas, age, etc bashing gets old pretty quick. Let's be nice to each other.

Th OP should just use the force and get what he wants at a buffet next time he's on board.....

Problem solved.

Agreed! He has bashed NJ ppl in multiple posts now. I was looking forward to what he had to say as we are staying in the same room for our upcoming trip this wkd! I suspect the passengers' behavior has more to do with being in a buffet line and a particularly disorganized one at that. I have never found buffets or any line to be particularly civilized regardless of the state of origin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

The changes on Summit had a prequel when Tuggers started commenting on the plates rather than buffet style morning Elite breakfast setup.

The Summit changes seem to be a test run.

Neither of these new "innovative" setups were on Solstice last week.

The observed chef/waiter conflict might be an indication that some staff are also not happy.

Would you be able to identify the Executive Chef?

I saw the Executive Chef working with the cooks at the pool grill too. Didn't seem like conflict but he was definitely trying to "sort them out".

I saved all the paperwork, I'll post the name of the executive chef when I get home tonight.

Pre plated food :eek: what if you just wanted to try a small spoon of curry, you have to take the whole dish :confused:

I usually have about 10 different things on my plate in one go, how are you expected to carry it all if it is plated up already, sounds terrible

This could be part of the reason Celebrity has gone to the baskets. I have never been able to figure out why people have to fill their plates so full that they are dripping all over the buffet line as well the floor on the way to their table. You can go back for more food and sometimes it's nicer to be able to taste the different flavors rather than mixing them into garbage.

This could be part of the reason Celebrity has gone to the baskets. I have never been able to figure out why people have to fill their plates so full that they are dripping all over the buffet line as well the floor on the way to their table. You can go back for more food and sometimes it's nicer to be able to taste the different flavors rather than mixing them into garbage.

I was in line to get some bread pudding. The guy in front of me literally took 90% of what was in the tray for two plates. When it was my turn there was hardly anything left. Funny thing (not) is I was sitting right next to them and had to watch them eat all of that.

Personally we try to avoid buffets, but as the MDR is closed for lunch when docked in port it's either that or Bistro on 5, which will go to probably twice.

Breakfast was always the Elite lounge but I heard they ruined that also. So I guess it will be back to the MDR for breakfast.

The burgers at the pool are pre made. I suppose you could wait for them to take a batch off the grill if you want a fresh one.

Thanks! One more question...:) do they still have the afternoon tea (sandwiches and cookies) in the buffet?

Well I asked the question, but maybe folks didn't think I was serious. Are there some good places to eat on Bermuda?

Burt

Burt, check out the Bermuda side of the boards. You'll get your question answered there! :)

Jediknight, was it really that bad? It was a buffet! It sound to me like you just like to complain. I have been in the customer service industry for over 20 years, you are the type of customer that will always find something to complain about, I had to walk 20 ft to get butter. Be thankful you were on vacation and to top it off a cruise. Some people can't afford to take a vacation, lighten up, you know what Yoda would say "let go of your anger Padawan see what fun you had and enjoy" just wanted to vent at all of the negativity on this...

Cruising is wicked awesome

It’s not be who is the angry Padawan: that would be you. Making rash judgements and only clinging to one side of the story. It’s childish at least, and reminiscent of mentalities that led to genocides but that’s extreme isn’t it?

Do I love to complain? Why not read MULTIPLE REVIEWS of mine for CELEB and NCL, and see the GLOWING things I’ve said over and over again?

I’ll let you lighten up. You are one who will “take it” and that’s good. Companies want employees who will “take it” and not ask for more. Businesses want consumers who are easy. Politicians need constituents to be easy.

But some are discerning. It’s ok for me to say that parts of the cruise were good, but this one part was terrible. Sorry, but on vacation that I’ve paid for, I like the buffet to be on par with a mass-market-chain-restaurant such as Old Country Buffet. that’s not asking for something unrealistic.

When you level charges at me as “loving to complain” please examine the evidence because if you read my previous reviews, you’ll see your are wrong.

Critical thinking. Going the way of the Edsel :)

I’m not bashing NJ.

Just starting what I observed, multiple times now, and how I understand why a certain stereotype exists, and totally understand why some are growing in debt and corruption and why some states see exoduses of people.

SADLY, I am actually doing business in NJ, seriously. The ONLY reason I submitted to such prostitution of myself is that I bought a damaged enterprise very cheap and nobody else wanted to invest in this business because it was NJ. So me and a few of my long-term management staff have taken over. And we all hate it. But we’re getting paid well so for a few years, we’re grinning and bearing it.

Th OP should just use the force and get what he wants at a buffet next time he's on board.....

Problem solved.

Hi Keith…

What of the many others here with the SAME buffet complaint who may not have the power of the force? What do they do?

What about the many in line who were verbally saying bad things to buffet crew? (In an accent from a certain state, I might add).

I’m merely commenting on what I experienced as are many others.

The ones who meekly just let it happen? They’ll let the Death Start blow them up as happened to Planet Alderaan.

Jediknight, was it really that bad? It was a buffet! It sound to me like you just like to complain. I have been in the customer service industry for over 20 years, you are the type of customer that will always find something to complain about, I had to walk 20 ft to get butter. Be thankful you were on vacation and to top it off a cruise. Some people can't afford to take a vacation, lighten up, you know what Yoda would say "let go of your anger Padawan see what fun you had and enjoy" just wanted to vent at all of the negativity on this...

Ummm, I believe if you read the original post...not all was negative. As a matter of fact most was positive.

JEDI- I just finished my survey and let them know exactly how it was for us, from a crummy buffet experience, to being scolded in MDR to burnt out light bulbs in the main theatre to broken shampoo holders in the spa--

Little things, yes.

Ruin my holiday, no.

Change my view of what Celebrity is, yup.

Would I book again, yes.

Thanks! One more question...:) do they still have the afternoon tea (sandwiches and cookies) in the buffet?

They have some cookies, scones etc by the spa pool. It is absolutely nothing like it use to be. Again I feel strongly that the food has gone way downhill! Everything else was awesome and I am confident Celebrity will fix things given the fact that they usually listen to the feedback they get.

JEDI- I just finished my survey and let them know exactly how it was for us, from a crummy buffet experience, to being scolded in MDR to burnt out light bulbs in the main theatre to broken shampoo holders in the spa--

Little things, yes.

Ruin my holiday, no.

Change my view of what Celebrity is, yup.

Would I book again, yes.

Hi Chris- I was on the same cruise as you and concur with assessment of the buffet. The food overall was not good on this cruise. the burgers outside by the pool were somewhat spongy, definitely not 100% beef. The MDR service was good but the food was not. Specifically- the lobster tail texture was way off, the way it gets when its frozen too long, the beef wellington was overcooked and the 'puff' pastry was not puffed, just flat and undercooked. Weird that the inside was overcooked and the outside was on the raw side, how they managed that I do not know. The omelettes were pre-made. They give you either a plain or veggie premade omelette and then put in the fillings you want. At least on the buffet they made fresh omelettes if you were willing to wait 15 minutes for them. Also the buffet wait staff I found to be rude on a few occasions. And my non-food gripe- Our cabin attendant was rushed and not helpful. Also, during our first meeting, he asked my 14 year old daughter what was all over her face. seriously? Thanks for pointing it out to her the acne on her face as if she isn't feeling awkward enough.

Cwiden- I'm sorry to hear about your daughter, that must have terrible.

There did seem to be a big language gap- many servers I couldn't understand.

And both dh and me were scolded.

I was a little sad to see simple fixes that were ignored. Burnt out light bulbs, little holders, broken, public washroom door locks not working... Just little things, that was very unexpected. I am going I check my pictures to see if I have a shot of the theater lights that were burnt out, each side had 15-20-- very noticeable! And disappointing.

The food was very hit an miss--

And for the record- NO- I never went hungry, lol

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

Hi Keith

What of the many others here with the SAME buffet complaint who may not have the power of the force? What do they do?

What about the many in line who were verbally saying bad things to buffet crew? (In an accent from a certain state, I might add).

I’m merely commenting on what I experienced as are many others.

The ones who meekly just let it happen? They’ll let the Death Start blow them up as happened to Planet Alderaan.

:rolleyes: Here: http://www.rif.org/

As for your complaints, in all seriousness, they're minor. If they really bother you that much, go to Guest Relations and request to see the Food and Beverage Manager. You'd have a far better chance of things being corrected that way than coming on here.

I think you are wrong to comment on what Jediknight saw first hand, you were not there or were you? If you pay good money to eat at a nice restaurant at home and the food is horrible do you simply walk away and say "Oh well I am so lucky to be able to eat out?" I think not. Do you feel that each person who calls customer service at your place of employment is simply the type of person who wants something to complain about or do you actually help them? I feel that Celebrity has made an attempt at something new that is not working!! I also feel like Celebrity will fix this rather than view its customers in the light you put Jediknight in. I believe Celebrity listens to the customers and when something is wrong they fix it. In other words, good customer service, not someone claiming that they know someone's character even thought hey don't know them.

I was on this ship, I love Celebrity, I have never complained about their food, never! This time the buffet was horrible and the food in the main dining room was just ok. I had a fabulous time, the senior officers were outstanding as was the service.

I think you are wrong to comment on what Jediknight saw first hand, you were not there or were you? If you pay good money to eat at a nice restaurant at home and the food is horrible do you simply walk away and say "Oh well I am so lucky to be able to eat out?" I think not. Do you feel that each person who calls customer service at your place of employment is simply the type of person who wants something to complain about or do you actually help them? I feel that Celebrity has made an attempt at something new that is not working!! I also feel like Celebrity will fix this rather than view its customers in the light you put Jediknight in. I believe Celebrity listens to the customers and when something is wrong they fix it. In other words, good customer service, not someone claiming that they know someone's character even thought hey don't know them.

I was on this ship, I love Celebrity, I have never complained about their food, never! This time the buffet was horrible and the food in the main dining room was just ok. I had a fabulous time, the senior officers were outstanding as was the service.

Thank you for posting this, as I feel many people do no post their complaints on this board for fear of being ridiculed like the OP. Same thing when they changed the Elite Breakfast a few weeks back. Tuggers was actually on the ship posting live her reports of what was going on. But no the people on these boards who were not on the sailing had to start to criticize the reports.

Hi Chris- I was on the same cruise as you and concur with assessment of the buffet. The food overall was not good on this cruise. the burgers outside by the pool were somewhat spongy, definitely not 100% beef. The MDR service was good but the food was not. Specifically- the lobster tail texture was way off, the way it gets when its frozen too long, the beef wellington was overcooked and the 'puff' pastry was not puffed, just flat and undercooked. Weird that the inside was overcooked and the outside was on the raw side, how they managed that I do not know. The omelettes were pre-made. They give you either a plain or veggie premade omelette and then put in the fillings you want. At least on the buffet they made fresh omelettes if you were willing to wait 15 minutes for them. Also the buffet wait staff I found to be rude on a few occasions. And my non-food gripe- Our cabin attendant was rushed and not helpful. Also, during our first meeting, he asked my 14 year old daughter what was all over her face. seriously? Thanks for pointing it out to her the acne on her face as if she isn't feeling awkward enough.

Awww...I hope your daughter ignored the asshat and enjoyed the rest of her cruise.

It sounds like they may have micorwaved the wellington :eek:

Count me as another dissappointed Celebrity Summit past guest. As it stands now, I doubt I will ever cruise with Celebrity again. Too much money for what was received. Two nights in the MDR I ordered steak for dinner to be prepared med-well. Both times they were over done and dry. Tried the duck and it was terrific. As for the buffet, I found it greatly lacking in quality. The baskets of semi-warm to cold food is not a good way to satisfy guests. On top of that, it is unhealthy. I also found our cabin, a veranda, to be smaller than I experienced on Carnival and Princess. I will be completing my survey for Celebrity and letting them know my thoughts.

I am happy that I wasn't alone in my disappointment. And I hope that there are changed made. I sent my survey in, and was brutally honest.

I am very easy to please- so for me to be questioning things - can't wait to hear from the next cruise.

Please also understand, I will cruise Celebrity again! These things didn't ruin my cruise. Just things that make you go hmmm

Edited by mapleleafvoyage