Summit Buffet: Erase my memory! (rant)

JEDIKNIGHT

For those who have problems with the buffets on the M-Class, I have a few words for you -- DON'T EAT AT THEM!!! They're never that good. ;)

On my 15-day transatlantic on Constellation last month, I ate at the buffet one time, and that was a made-to-order sandwich at the sandwich bar back aft on embarkation, and on my previous cruise on Summit to Bermuda, I had a fresh waffle one time at their waffle bar. I avoid the buffets like the plague.

Check out the Aqua Spa Café. They've brought back the grilled, poached, or broiled salmon & tuna, and the grilled chicken and pork loin. We'll be on Summit next month, and I hope this is Celebrity wide.

DH and I returned from our b2b on the Summit (5/4 & 5/11) and had a great time. We only ate at the buffet for lunch on sea days and enjoyed the new setup. Otherwise, we found the food to be quite satisfactory in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. I tend to eat salad at lunch, and the salad bar selections were numerous and very good. A forklift would have come in handy to move my plate around the venue. I tend to pile it on. I did partake in some of those entrees in the little pans. I had no trouble with temperature and thought the whole setup looked quite appealing. We enjoyed everything about our cruise except that fact that we had to leave. Embarkation and disembarkation were very easy, and the new routine of having different passengers eat in different locations when boarding made for less crowding in the buffet. Since I was not in the buffet at that time, I can't comment on how crowded it actually was. Also, we did not eat breakfast in the buffet at all. I'm sorry some of my fellow passengers did not enjoy the cruise as much as we did, but I'm happy to say that we had the best cruise experience we've ever had. We're already looking forward to a repeat with our friends on the b2b we booked for next year on the Summit.:D

I don't think we are saying we didn't enjoy our cruise as much as you did, we did! We had a great time BUT… the new concept in the buffet is not working. If you chose a salad and something else, plus a drink and your cutlery your now doing a juggling act to your table. As others pointed out condiments weren't necessarily by the foods they went with so you would find yourself dropping off your food at a table and taking a trip around the buffet to find something to return to cold food. I agree, the salad bar was a great set up.

I've only been there for dinner and the baskets (in area left of the carving station) were under something that kept them hot, because the fries I got were quite hot.

I also just got back from the May 11 cruise. For breakfast they had eggs Benedict in cute little "fry pans". I didn't realize that having them sitting there keeping hot would make them hard boiled. I like the yolk runny.

Next morning in the MDR, one egg was perfect, the other was almost raw with runny white.

About the hamburgers at the pool...they are like hockey pucks. They do not cook them to order. They are cooked, then served to you. They are always well done. They are dry.

The best thing at the buffet is the Caesar salad. They make it for you, with anchovies if you like. Tried the roast beef twice. It was quite dry. I got one of the first pieces. It was well done. I did see someone walk by with a piece cut later. It looked great. It was med rare.

I found most of the food at dinner in the MDR to be very good. There should have been people walking around to bring you a drink, especially with our cards sitting out on the table. We started carrying in a drink from the rendezvous lounge. The asst. waiter was happy to get us a drink, but I hated to take him away from his work.

The music...there was one "song" that sounded like they had set a four year old in front of an organ. They sat him at middle C and told him to play one finger on the left hand then one on the right. Left, right, low, high, back and fourth. When you go, you will recognize this "song".

At the elite breakfast, they had one rap song playing. Not too many rap enthusiasts in the Normandy first thing in the morning. No one at the desk, until we left, and he was the only one on the ship too busy to look up and say hello.

Yes, we did have a good time, but I think they need to give more effort to breakfast. Tried three venues. Thank goodness for the wonderful pastries.

I agree, those pastries were awesome!

Definitely go and eat at the Wicked Spoon. The use the little 'vessel' serving option and we found it wonderful, the Buffet line moved much faster because there was no real serving time and of course it's much cleaner as people don't slop food all over the place or touch serving utensils.

I'm not saying I like this idea for the Summit, just that I liked it at the Wicked Spoon.

I hope I can go to the Wicked Spoon when I'm there in a week. As I've said, Caesar's buffet uses the vessels very well and the fries, onion rings, etc. were hot. Yeah, it was like grab and go and made things go faster, since folks weren't dishing up their fries, not to mention (like my other cruise on another line this month), loading up their plate leaving none for anyone else.

I don't think we are saying we didn't enjoy our cruise as much as you did, we did! We had a great time BUT… the new concept in the buffet is not working. If you chose a salad and something else, plus a drink and your cutlery your now doing a juggling act to your table. As others pointed out condiments weren't necessarily by the foods they went with so you would find yourself dropping off your food at a table and taking a trip around the buffet to find something to return to cold food. I agree, the salad bar was a great set up.

Not sure if there has been a lot of changes in the set up since I was last on the summit (will find out in January when I'm on her again), but I ususally got my drinks and put them on the table and then went back for my salad. When I was finished with my salad, I would go back and get my entree, etc. This way I didn't have to juggle anything or leave any hot food on the table to cool off.

I was on both the May 4 and May 11 sailings. May 11 sailing was the roll out of this new arrangements with the small dishes etc. I liked the changes and never got food that was not the proper temperature. I suspect the inconsistent signage will improve.

I thought there were many choices and did not have trouble finding the food. Frankly I usually prefer the dining room for lunch but thought the menus this time looked awful so went to the buffet. I do not eat meat, poultry or shellfish and the lunch MDR menu was more accommodating for my needs last year.

Like Mike and Me we have sailed on the Summit to Bermuda in May the past 4 years and are booked to do it again next year.

I am so sorry to hear about your bad buffet experiences. Your observations have me concerned as we have booked two weeks on the Summit.

In case someone from Celebrity does not read these postings, I do hope that each of you filled out comment cards on the ship and more importantly emailed your observations to Celebrity. If this is a "test run", the head honchos at Celebrity need to know how badly the buffet is going, so changes for the better can be made.

I also have a 2 week cruise booked on the Summit in Sept. We still plan on going, we had a great cruise otherwise, service was great, MDR food was ok to great and the entertainment was also good. I did fill out my comment card so if enough of us expressed our concerns over the buffet perhaps Celebrity will act on it. The Summit is still a great ship and her crew are awesome!

I also have a 2 week cruise booked on the Summit in Sept. We still plan on going, we had a great cruise otherwise, service was great, MDR food was ok to great and the entertainment was also good. I did fill out my comment card so if enough of us expressed our concerns over the buffet perhaps Celebrity will act on it. The Summit is still a great ship and her crew are awesome!

It will be interesting what comes from the comment cards on the buffet issue. I say from those on here, pretty much looks like half like it and half didn't. I guess we just have to wait and see.

It will be interesting what comes from the comment cards on the buffet issue. I say from those on here, pretty much looks like half like it and half didn't. I guess we just have to wait and see.

I still have no comment card.

PErhaps the buffet manager is in charge of the comment card.

Not sure if there has been a lot of changes in the set up since I was last on the summit (will find out in January when I'm on her again), but I ususally got my drinks and put them on the table and then went back for my salad. When I was finished with my salad, I would go back and get my entree, etc. This way I didn't have to juggle anything or leave any hot food on the table to cool off.

Last week was the rollout for the new buffet experience and most people I met thought it was downright bad.. I usually do the same thing as you ever since they stopped supplying trays but occasionally when I got up for my next course I might find someone else at my table when I return… ; ) This is more about the pre plated flood that is put out as much as an hour before they even raise the shades on the buffet so it already is cold by the time you would take it. As another poster pointed out you might not want all three things they decide to put in the same dish so that may not help with the waste issue..

If you were at the buffet you would not come to the conclusion that half liked it and half did not. Most people on the ship did not!

For those who have problems with the buffets on the M-Class, I have a few words for you -- DON'T EAT AT THEM!!! They're never that good. ;)

On my 15-day transatlantic on Constellation last month, I ate at the buffet one time, and that was a made-to-order sandwich at the sandwich bar back aft on embarkation, and on my previous cruise on Summit to Bermuda, I had a fresh waffle one time at their waffle bar. I avoid the buffets like the plague.

Check out the Aqua Spa Café. They've brought back the grilled, poached, or broiled salmon & tuna, and the grilled chicken and pork loin. We'll be on Summit next month, and I hope this is Celebrity wide.

Aqua Spa Cafe has cut way back in their offerings. I loved their poached salmon on many cruises. On the Summit last week, there were no fish, poultry or meat dishes at the cafe. Some of the dishes had an extra charge. Nice, but not like what was offered on previous cruises.

Aqua Spa Cafe has cut way back in their offerings. I loved their poached salmon on many cruises. On the Summit last week, there were no fish, poultry or meat dishes at the cafe. Some of the dishes had an extra charge. Nice, but not like what was offered on previous cruises.

I'm sorry to hear that. We had it all on Constellation last month, and I assumed Celebrity was bringing it back fleet wide. :(

If you were at the buffet you would not come to the conclusion that half liked it and half did not. Most people on the ship did not!

You are correct, but I'm just going by those posting on cruise critic and it seems like half like it and half didn't, at least those are the ones that are voicing their opinions on here,

If there was no fish, poultry or meat dishes, what type of protein did they serve, legumes/beans? We all need our serving of protein.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I was on the May 11th cruise as well.

I have only done this one Celebrity cruise, so I am just a little voice here.

My opinion is that this cruise was not as I expected, I had high expectations on what to expect, and to ME, I was surprised at many of the things that disappointed me. The buffet set up was only part of what I was surprised about. None of MY issues ruined my cruise.

I have received my comment email and sent it back with my opinions I would be happy if anyone from Celebrity contacted me, I would happily explain myself.

And for the record - I am planning another cruise to Bermuda on the Summit :)

and also- we had the BEST cruise critic group! ! There were many wonderful new friendships made..... so, thank you cruise critic!!!

I had lunch with friends who got food at Aqua Spa Café on the 5-4 sailing to Bermuda. They were eating salmon, which was on the menu that day.

I was on the repositioning cruise in April...San Juan to Bayonne. I did not see a change in the buffet from my 6 previous summit cruises. This must have happened after that trip, when they began the Bermuda run. I am returning in July. Hope they take care of the glitches.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

DH and I eat by courses in the buffet. I will get my soup first and have it while it is hot. Then will get my entree so it is the right temperature as well. I wouldn't attempt to juggle a whole meal at once or it would be on the floor lol I find it quicker and easier that way (have to admit it is easier on S Class though)

Did we ever find out if the Aqua Spa Café served any protein? Is this on all ships or just the Summit? I know it is more healthy, but we still need some protein.

DH and I eat by courses in the buffet. I will get my soup first and have it while it is hot. Then will get my entree so it is the right temperature as well. I wouldn't attempt to juggle a whole meal at once or it would be on the floor lol I find it quicker and easier that way (have to admit it is easier on S Class though)

That is not really the point here.. If you take french toast (which is sitting by the fruit) and you want syrup, you must first go find a plate to put the french toast on as the syrup would drip all over the place if you used the basket that it comes in. Lets just say you now would like bacon with your french toast, you would have to go the American Breakfast area where there is a long line because there making eggs, thats where the bacon is. You might find a pre plated eggs with a piece or two of bacon but what if you don't want the eggs? This is about an entire new concept that I have never seen done in any buffet in my 55 or so cruises. The issue is about the baskets and pre plated meals.