Summit Buffet: Erase my memory! (rant)

JEDIKNIGHT

There were some changes, very recent changes we all experienced on the Summit. I see so many of my fellow cruisers commenting as well. Again these are recent changes the main complaint was the food especially the buffet. If Celebrity implements these changes fleet wide we will see these boards full of complaints, trust me. I have had better food at the 7-11. It doesn't seem these changes have effected other ships in Celebrity's fleet and I hope it doesn't. Perhaps they are trying it out on the Summit and hopefully if the feedback is not good, then all of you will sailing on Celebrity will be spared the pre made meals that sat under lights for some time.

I have said it before, Celebrity has always been a cut above the rest and I hope it goes back to that because I really love the line.

Like Chris said, did this effect our overall cruise, HELL NO our CC group had a blast..

Well I asked the question, but maybe folks didn't think I was serious. Are there some good places to eat on Bermuda?

Burt

Hi Burt, yes, there are many restaurants/pubs too. Not inexpensive

by any means but the food is quite good. 3 places I have been to are

Swizzle Inn, Hog Penney, and Frog and Onion. I recommend all 3

of them.

If you hop over to the Bermuda Forum you will find tons of threads

with really good information.

There were some changes, very recent changes we all experienced on the Summit. I see so many of my fellow cruisers commenting as well. Again these are recent changes the main complaint was the food especially the buffet. If Celebrity implements these changes fleet wide we will see these boards full of complaints, trust me. I have had better food at the 7-11. It doesn't seem these changes have effected other ships in Celebrity's fleet and I hope it doesn't. Perhaps they are trying it out on the Summit and hopefully if the feedback is not good, then all of you will sailing on Celebrity will be spared the pre made meals that sat under lights for some time.

I have said it before, Celebrity has always been a cut above the rest and I hope it goes back to that because I really love the line.

Like Chris said, did this effect our overall cruise, HELL NO our CC group had a blast..

Celebrity often tries something on one ship. We were on the "test cruise" with no luggage tags (bad idea...dropped). we were on the ellite "voucher" test cruise" (ok idea once they increased to three vouchers per person per night). Perhaps they are trying some things on the summit to see how they are accepted. Please give honest feedback on the new stuff and I think Celebrity will listen.

I have never cruised Celebrity before, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm simply stating how I found things ..

Best thing about this cruise was our C C get togethers!! Many great new friendships!!! Many great laughs and memories!!! On a great cruise to a great island- loved Bermuda!!!!

Th OP should just use the force and get what he wants at a buffet next time he's on board.....

Problem solved.

JEDI- I just finished my survey and let them know exactly how it was for us, from a crummy buffet experience, to being scolded in MDR to burnt out light bulbs in the main theatre to broken shampoo holders in the spa--

Little things, yes.

Ruin my holiday, no.

Change my view of what Celebrity is, yup.

Would I book again, yes.

Hello Chris. Yes, I agree - not holiday-ruining problems for sure and many positives on our cruise. (I think I saw you there one late night in buffet!). Important to let them know what was good, but also bad.

Maybe i’ll see you on a cruise one day again. But if the Maple Leafs pluck Coach Babcock out of Detroit, well that might pose a problem, with all due respect to the True North Strong and Free ;)

Hello Chris. Yes, I agree - not holiday-ruining problems for sure and many positives on our cruise. (I think I saw you there one late night in buffet!). Important to let them know what was good, but also bad.

Maybe i’ll see you on a cruise one day again. But if the Maple Leafs pluck Coach Babcock out of Detroit, well that might pose a problem, with all due respect to the True North Strong and Free ;)

Perhaps we will cruise together in the future, however I don't know who you are... We did book a future cruise(on this our first Celebrity cruise!) that we will bump into 2016 when the new Bermuda schedules come out--

And hey, we bleed blue -- go Toronto :)

Edited by mapleleafvoyage

This could be part of the reason Celebrity has gone to the baskets. I have never been able to figure out why people have to fill their plates so full that they are dripping all over the buffet line as well the floor on the way to their table. You can go back for more food and sometimes it's nicer to be able to taste the different flavors rather than mixing them into garbage.

I think your right but a piece of uncooked bacon and pre made packaged scrambled eggs in a dish is not the answer. I saw pre made meals sitting there an hour or more before the buffet even opened. Another point I would make is this.. I saw pre made meat, potato and vegetable lunches so what if you didn't want all three? You had to throw the rest away. What if you like the broccoli and potatoes but hate lamb? It didn't make any sense to me.

antsnanny, you are so right. It does not work on so many levels. As I've stated, my only experience has been with Las Vegas buffets. We learned to NOT go right when they opened, because they put the first batch out long before official opening - go after others have taken the cold offerings, and REACH BACK to the newer, hotter ones.

But a word about waste: even with the pre-portioned options, I don't want 2 pieces of chicken or 5 potato puffs...so wasted. If I could choose my own, I'd take one of each. And when I've been on cruises, I've always been upset by the servers ASSUMING I wanted huge portions of everything. I'd say "one piece of chicken, and a tiny scoop of mashed potatoes, please", and they'd be PILING up my plate..."no no no, ONE piece of chicken"...so, they were their own worst enemies when it came to waste (in our case).

But the individual baskets are a disaster from both the waste standpoint and the non-green problem of having to wash them all!

I have never cruised Celebrity before, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I'm simply stating how I found things ..

Best thing about this cruise was our C C get togethers!! Many great new friendships!!! Many great laughs and memories!!! On a great cruise to a great island- loved Bermuda!!!!

Chris, you and Jeff helped make this cruise so much fun for all of us, from the slot pull to your positive friendly ways! We love spending time with the two of you. Hope we cruise together one day, Aye.

Yes warmwinds! Those are what is used on the grill off the pool on deck 10. They put in a liner paper, then a few fries and burger. When hot, they were very good. They came with lettuce,tomato and onion on the side, with packets of your other toppings to choose from. ..

When u say "on the side" does that mean every one gets them? When I get a cheeseburger from the pool grill, I order it with no bun and get French fries..nothing else.

I can't imagine they would give everyone let, tom, and onions. That would be a huge waste.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am so sorry to hear about your bad buffet experiences. Your observations have me concerned as we have booked two weeks on the Summit.

In case someone from Celebrity does not read these postings, I do hope that each of you filled out comment cards on the ship and more importantly emailed your observations to Celebrity. If this is a "test run", the head honchos at Celebrity need to know how badly the buffet is going, so changes for the better can be made.

When u say "on the side" does that mean every one gets them? When I get a cheeseburger from the pool grill, I order it with no bun and get French fries..nothing else.

I can't imagine they would give everyone let, tom, and onions. That would be a huge waste.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

EVERY pre-made “basket” had a bun, lettuce, and tomato and onion on them.

Yes, cutting down on waste :)

I am so sorry to hear about your bad buffet experiences. Your observations have me concerned as we have booked two weeks on the Summit.

In case someone from Celebrity does not read these postings, I do hope that each of you filled out comment cards on the ship and more importantly emailed your observations to Celebrity. If this is a "test run", the head honchos at Celebrity need to know how badly the buffet is going, so changes for the better can be made.

I'm on Summit in 5 days and very upset to read about this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Please let us know what you think about the buffet. I know that Caesar's Palace's buffet uses the wire basked, but only for things like fries, onion rings, etc. and I believe that they are kept under heat lamps.

No, everything at the Caesars buffet is NOT kept under heat lamps (at least not for breakfast)...we had much cold food in those baskets. Was your personal, recent, experience different? Maybe they have improved since a year ago when we were there (we never went back because of it).

But even in the Celebrity example, not everyone wants the bun, onion, tomato, etc....

Edited by warmwinds

No, everything at the Caesars buffet is NOT kept under heat lamps (at least not for breakfast)...we had much cold food in those baskets. Was your personal, recent, experience different? Maybe they have improved since a year ago when we were there (we never went back because of it).

But even in the Celebrity example, not everyone wants the bun, onion, tomato, etc....

I've only been there for dinner and the baskets (in area left of the carving station) were under something that kept them hot, because the fries I got were quite hot. I was there in January, February and March and am going again in a little over a week; I'll report if there are any changes. I think the baskets are fine for one thing like the fries or onion rings and I agree, I wouldn't want a hamburger with the bun and onion in one. I think dinner at Caesar's buffet is awesome, expensive but awesome.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I've only been there for dinner and the baskets (in area left of the carving station) were under something that kept them hot, because the fries I got were quite hot. I was there in January, February and March and am going again in a little over a week; I'll report if there are any changes. I think the baskets are fine for one thing like the fries or onion rings and I agree, I wouldn't want a hamburger with the bun and onion in one. I think dinner at Caesar's buffet is awesome, expensive but awesome.

IMO, the "plated buffet" concept works very well at The Wicked Spoon in the Cosmo too. Cold things like salads were appropriately chilled and hot things (at least the ones I chose) were appropriately hot.

IMO, the "plated buffet" concept works very well at The Wicked Spoon in the Cosmo too. Cold things like salads were appropriately chilled and hot things (at least the ones I chose) were appropriately hot.

I think a lot probably depends on the set up. I'm sure that these Las Vegas buffets were set up for these type of vessels, where Celebrity is adding them to their already set up buffet. Maybe I'll give The Wicked Spoon a try when I'm in Vegas next week.

The observed chef/waiter conflict might be an indication that some staff are also not happy.

Would you be able to identify the Executive Chef?

Executive Chef is Rijo German, from the Dominican Republic. Food and Beverage Director, if that matters, is Martin Fowler.

I just googled The Wicked Spoon in Vegas - lots of pictures on the Trip Advisor site, with the little baskets and dishes like they had on Summit if you're still trying to envision what this looks like.

Edited by gi_pam

DH and I returned from our b2b on the Summit (5/4 & 5/11) and had a great time. We only ate at the buffet for lunch on sea days and enjoyed the new setup. Otherwise, we found the food to be quite satisfactory in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. I tend to eat salad at lunch, and the salad bar selections were numerous and very good. A forklift would have come in handy to move my plate around the venue. I tend to pile it on. I did partake in some of those entrees in the little pans. I had no trouble with temperature and thought the whole setup looked quite appealing. We enjoyed everything about our cruise except that fact that we had to leave. Embarkation and disembarkation were very easy, and the new routine of having different passengers eat in different locations when boarding made for less crowding in the buffet. Since I was not in the buffet at that time, I can't comment on how crowded it actually was. Also, we did not eat breakfast in the buffet at all. I'm sorry some of my fellow passengers did not enjoy the cruise as much as we did, but I'm happy to say that we had the best cruise experience we've ever had. We're already looking forward to a repeat with our friends on the b2b we booked for next year on the Summit.:D

DH and I returned from our b2b on the Summit (5/4 & 5/11) and had a great time. We only ate at the buffet for lunch on sea days and enjoyed the new setup. Otherwise, we found the food to be quite satisfactory in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant. I tend to eat salad at lunch, and the salad bar selections were numerous and very good. A forklift would have come in handy to move my plate around the venue. I tend to pile it on. I did partake in some of those entrees in the little pans. I had no trouble with temperature and thought the whole setup looked quite appealing. We enjoyed everything about our cruise except that fact that we had to leave. Embarkation and disembarkation were very easy, and the new routine of having different passengers eat in different locations when boarding made for less crowding in the buffet. Since I was not in the buffet at that time, I can't comment on how crowded it actually was. Also, we did not eat breakfast in the buffet at all. I'm sorry some of my fellow passengers did not enjoy the cruise as much as we did, but I'm happy to say that we had the best cruise experience we've ever had. We're already looking forward to a repeat with our friends on the b2b we booked for next year on the Summit.:D

Excited to hear your review; I'll be on the Summit this coming January and can't wait! Thanks!

I've only been there for dinner and the baskets (in area left of the carving station) were under something that kept them hot, because the fries I got were quite hot.

I also just got back from the May 11 cruise. For breakfast they had eggs Benedict in cute little "fry pans". I didn't realize that having them sitting there keeping hot would make them hard boiled. I like the yolk runny.

Next morning in the MDR, one egg was perfect, the other was almost raw with runny white.

About the hamburgers at the pool...they are like hockey pucks. They do not cook them to order. They are cooked, then served to you. They are always well done. They are dry.

The best thing at the buffet is the Caesar salad. They make it for you, with anchovies if you like. Tried the roast beef twice. It was quite dry. I got one of the first pieces. It was well done. I did see someone walk by with a piece cut later. It looked great. It was med rare.

I found most of the food at dinner in the MDR to be very good. There should have been people walking around to bring you a drink, especially with our cards sitting out on the table. We started carrying in a drink from the rendezvous lounge. The asst. waiter was happy to get us a drink, but I hated to take him away from his work.

The music...there was one "song" that sounded like they had set a four year old in front of an organ. They sat him at middle C and told him to play one finger on the left hand then one on the right. Left, right, low, high, back and fourth. When you go, you will recognize this "song".

At the elite breakfast, they had one rap song playing. Not too many rap enthusiasts in the Normandy first thing in the morning. No one at the desk, until we left, and he was the only one on the ship too busy to look up and say hello.

Yes, we did have a good time, but I think they need to give more effort to breakfast. Tried three venues. Thank goodness for the wonderful pastries.

Well I asked the question, but maybe folks didn't think I was serious. Are there some good places to eat on Bermuda?

Hog Penny in Hamilton is very good. Get the Bermuda Fish Chowder with a splash of dark rum and hot sherry sauce! It's a Bermuda tradition.

Swizzle Inn is good. Mostly for the fun of saying you went there, had a fish sandwich and a pitcher of rum punch (or dark 'n stormies).

The Frog and Onion, and other places at the Dockyard are okay -- typical places you find in a tourist location.

We had a nice lunch at the White Horse Inn in St. George. Sat out on their deck overlooking the canal. They make nice adult beverages too!

Maybe you could take a bunch of pictures of this new set up as there really haven't been any posted except one from somewhere else (not the Summit).

I think a lot probably depends on the set up. I'm sure that these Las Vegas buffets were set up for these type of vessels, where Celebrity is adding them to their already set up buffet. Maybe I'll give The Wicked Spoon a try when I'm in Vegas next week.

Definitely go and eat at the Wicked Spoon. The use the little 'vessel' serving option and we found it wonderful, the Buffet line moved much faster because there was no real serving time and of course it's much cleaner as people don't slop food all over the place or touch serving utensils.

I'm not saying I like this idea for the Summit, just that I liked it at the Wicked Spoon.