Leaving teenager on board

I do not consider being docked on a cruise ship anything remotely comparable to "being in a foreign country".

I would feel safer with my 15 YO daughter docked on a cruise ship " in a foreign country" than her visiting any major city in the U.S.A.

Very Good Point! I see from your name you are from The city of angels and I am too. I grew up in South Central L.A. and I know as well as you that there there a lot of places that I would not go in L.A.! I feel a lot safrer in some of the places people talk about on CC or on a cruise ship than I would in some sections of L.A. and sections of other cities I have visted in the US.

It is still about parents knowing their kids and their maturity level! Some know very well that there is no way in H-double-hockey-sticks that they can't leave their kids alone! If you know that you can't do that then don't!

Exactly! You know if your kids are likely to cause problems, or act in an unsafe manner or not, and you make a judgement call accordingly :)

don't be lulled into a false sense of security.. a semi recent story about a young teenaged girl who was raped on board..was lured into the cabin by a FELLOW TEENAGER where she was raped by the teen's uncle (or other adult)

Not saying it didn't or wouldn't happen but what difference would it make if her parents were snug in their own cabin or at a show or a bar or anywhere else on the ship?

don't be lulled into a false sense of security.. a semi recent story about a young teenaged girl who was raped on board..was lured into the cabin by a FELLOW TEENAGER where she was raped by the teen's uncle (or other adult)

I'm sure that would have happened whether or not the parent was on the ship or off. It's really not safety I'm concerned about any more than I am at home. Just out of interest though, how would you keep an eye on a 15 year old 24/7 (I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm happy with my parenting). In my experience if they join the clubs that RC offer you can't, unless you go with them.

Just some info from RCCL. I could not read it because I am having trouble opening it. But it is from RCCL.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentPage.do?pagename=royal_caribbean_cruise_ship_crime_allegation_statistics

Fab, thank you. I can't open the link might be my ipad, but I've looked at the guest rules so basically the same applies whether you are on the ship or not, basically a parent is responsible for their child's behaviour. I'm happy with that I do it 24/7 lol!

For all the people who are terrified about leaving their teenagers because something might happen to them, I suggest reading "Culture of Fear." It is a wonderful book that examines why we as Americans are much more fearful of the world even though things are actually much safer than in the generations before us.

For all the people who are terrified about leaving their teenagers because something might happen to them, I suggest reading "Culture of Fear." It is a wonderful book that examines why we as Americans are much more fearful of the world even though things are actually much safer than in the generations before us.

The thing I fear most is having to spend a fortnight with a 15 year old at my ankles, with me in denial that she wants to talk and spend time with me and DH. If she doesn't know how to behave by this age (not saying she is an angel) then I may as well give up :D and there would be no more cruises for her either.

Edited by Adayatatime

We left our two teens on board once, but the cruiseline made us come back and get them, just because it was disembarkation day. Sheesh...

It is only a joke.....;)

We have left our teens on board in St. Thomas, but we were just visiting the shops by the pier. They have been raised to be responsible and to exercise good judgment. I don't think I would leave them if I was going more than walking distance to the ship.

Eric

The thing I fear most is having to spend a fortnight with a 15 year old at my ankles, with me in denial that she wants to talk and spend time with me and DH. If she doesn't know how to behave by this age (not saying she is an angel) then I may as well give up :D and there would be no more cruises for her either.

Yep. I always say my job as a parent is to put myself out of a job in about 18 years--which means I need to have put myself 90% out of it already by the late teens ;)

Yep. I always say my job as a parent is to put myself out of a job in about 18 years--which means I need to have put myself 90% out of it already by the late teens ;)

Couldn't agree with this more. I have always said my job is to make sure by the time my kids are ready for college (that 18ish age) they know how to take care of themselves and can be trusted to act like adults. If you continue to treat them as kids until they are ready to leave the nest they won't have a clue how to handle themselves.

In the world we live in today with all the helicopter parents most kids are not ready unfortunately.

Hi there, forgive me as I've already posted this question as part of a bigger one, but I wonder if anyone knows the rules regarding leaving a 15 year old on a docked ship?

We are thinking of doing the same cruise as last year around the med from Southampton. My daughter met friends and would have liked to stay on board the days we went on land. We didn't let her at the time.

I am this year contemplating allowing her to stay on board if we go somewhere by foot (not excursions) and within a few minutes of being able to get back, eg, Barcelona and Lisbon.

I just wondered whether this is something RC are happy with, insurance etc. I don't want to spark a debate I'm still not sure whether I would do it, just wondered if anyone knew the rules?

I have been leaving my teenager on cruise ships for years (he is now 17). He knows the rules and he knows how he needs to behave. He liked having that independence.

I'm taking my 15 year old grandson on Allure in a couple of weeks. Personally I would not leave him on the ship alone. He's a good kid and probably wouldn't get in any kind of trouble BUT there's always a first time. I would also be afraid he might get injured and I wouldn't be there.

You must have gotten things all straightened out? Enjoy your cruise.