Opinions Wanted

We have a cruise booked on Oasis for Feb. 7th 2015 Eastern Route, balcony room Oceanview.

I know that I have to reschedule that one for work reasons. The BOGOHO sale has made the prices on the ones we are looking at skyrocket. We should have rescheduled it right away on the 1st of May but we were waiting for some friends who were deciding if they could go or not. They decided they couldn't and by that time the prices had gone up by about $800.00.

Here is where I could use some opinions. We are pretty flexible on cruising dates because our children are grown so it is just my hubby and I. And of course checking prices everyday we have started to look at other options. Here they are:

April 12th 7 night on Allure Balcony Oceanview Eastern Caribbean.

10 night Southern Caribbean on Legend, I think that one is in Feb. Leaving from Florida.

9 Night Southern Caribbean on Legend, leaving from Florida Feb. 26.

7 night on Oasis in March Eastern Caribbean.

We have only been on one cruise and that was on Liberty in April. Of course we have heard a ton about Oasis and Allure but the reviews are not as positive on Explorer or Legend.

Both itineraries sound awesome. We enjoy the Solarium on the ships. We like the shows but aren't ones to stay up super late for things after 10:30 or so. We want to enjoy the ship and the itineraries so really not one is more important then the other.

If we chose the 7 days we plan on staying a day before and a day after the cruise to enjoy Florida and the beach. If we chose the 9 or 10 day then we would fly in and out.

Oh and it is our 25th anniversary celebration!

We prefer Southern Caribbean and longer cruises, so would pick Legend. However, Legend is a smaller ship, so if having the Promenade, ice rink, zipline, etc. is more important to you than itinerary, then you should probably stay with Oasis/Allure. We spent 13 days on Legend last year and thought the ship and crew were outstanding.

EDIT: Just read the post above. Our experience was with Royal's Legend of the Seas.

Edited by clarea

Since you were on the Liberty, you have had experience with some of the items (ice rink, large promenade, extra restaurants, etc) on the Allure. If those things and more (aqua show, zip line, park area with trees and plants) are important then stick with the Allure.

If you are interested in ports and and touring those ports take the longer Southern cruise.

I'm sorry, I should have clarified better, it is the Legend of the Seas, Royal Caribbean.

We enjoyed seeing the zipline and skating rink and those types of things but mostly enjoyed the cruising.

My thought also is if we pick a 9 day cruise we may not have as many children on board as we would a 7 day. Not that I don't love children, I have 3 of my own, but maybe not having to fight so hard for a place at the pool would be nice!

Are the shows as well done on the smaller ships, we do enjoy those.

I don't remember which one I was reading about last night, either Legend or Explorer but one of them is scheduled for a dry dock in March 2015.

But the WOW factor just watching the video's on Allure and Oasis is making this so hard to decide!!

Edited by Kimmy47

I'm sorry, I should have clarified better, it is the Legend of the Seas, Royal Caribbean.

We enjoyed seeing the zipline and skating rink and those types of things but mostly enjoyed the cruising.

My thought also is if we pick a 9 day cruise we may not have as many children on board as we would a 7 day. Not that I don't love children I have 3 of my own but maybe not having to fight so hard for a place as the pool would be nice!

Are the shows as well done on the smaller ships, we do enjoy those.

I don't remember which one I was reading about last night, either Legend or Explorer but one of them is scheduled for a dry dock in March 2015.

But the WOW factor just watching the video's on Allure and Oasis is making this so hard to decide!!

Explorer is scheduled for dry dock in 2015. Legend recently completed her revitalization dry dock.

I am with the Legend Cruise people. We did the 11 Night last Feb. and it was one of my favorite of 24 cruises. If you want to see Allure, it's a great ship and a great cruise. But the Southern Caribbean is spectacular! The ship is beautiful, and we had wonderful service and a great time. It is a smaller ship (smallest in the fleet). And I don't care much about shows. But the entertainment is fine. The Solarium is great with a Park Cafe. Ate breakfast and lunch there every day. The ports are wonderful. I would most highly recommend that cruise. In fact I intend to try and do it many more times.

I did 7 night Allure and then shortly after did the 10 Night South Caribbean on Legend of the Seas. Much smaller, quieter ship. Easy to navigate and get around. Not nearly as many wallet draining amenities. Went to some great new ports for us. Much more relaxing than Allure. If you are more interested in relaxing and seeing new places, go for Legend. If you are interested in entertainment, action, and being Wowed, take Allure.

Well I'll play salmon here, and go against the stream:

I would really encourage you to do the Allure, seven days. Especially if the shows are important to you. I am still blown away by the shows we saw on the Allure. Sure it would be hard to pass up the longer cruise, and the southern route is my favorite, being more exotic over all. But since you've only been on one previous cruise, I doubt if you are already bored with that eastern route (as we are after so many runs).

The Allure is an experience in itself, and the other ships we've sailed just cannot compare. If you like the solarium, the one on the Allure is very beautiful (but note: it only has large hot tubs, not a full pool).

One thought: If I had those extra days to take, along with the seven day cruise, I'd be more inclined to take both as a pre-cruise stay and get a very nice hotel, right on the beach. That would really let you experience those two days as vacation time, instead of just coming and going, packing and repacking an extra time, more schlepping those suitcases to and fro. Better to just be heading out to the airport when the cruise is over, instead of heading to a hotel that won't even allow check in till much of that day is over. Two days at the front of the trip, allows you to better experience your embarkation port, relax on the beach or in the pool, take the water taxi, shop Olas Blvd., or stroll the walk along the ocean. Maybe watch the ships sailing out of the harbor. (We rarely fit that in, with only a one day pre-stay). Lots of great restaurants in the area too.

So which month would you all say is best! I want Ft. Lauderdale to be warm so that we could enjoy the beach, this year, we spent Easter Day on the Beach and the Liberty left on Monday morning, it was great!

I do really like the idea of 2 days before if we end of choosing the 7 day cruise!

So Feb. March or April?

If you want to swim in Fort Lauderdale, those spring months are still a bit cool. If choosing between Feb, March or April, I'd take April. But check out the date of Easter that year, or you'll pay a lot more for the airfare that week. And spring break time is always busier with college age and kids. ...........(I meant cool in the water. Even in Jan. and Feb, the air there has been beautifully warm for us, most times.)

Edited by Gayle V

Since it is your 25th, I would choose S. Carib. - not as many kids on longer cruises.

Given the dates in question, there are not likely to be an abundance of kids onboard any of those dates unless oasis is over spring break.

Since one of your options is So. Carr. on Legend, I'll guess it includes a trip through the Atlantic locks of the Panama Canal? That in itself is a completely unique experience. If you've never done it before, I'd recommend that option.

Edited by Johnamac123