Bank of America card comprised again....

With all the other problems some folks seem to have here I feel like my problem is petty but I have to VENT :eek:.

I received an E-Mail this morning from Bank of America with the subject line "a new card has been issued." Since I didn't want to take a chance that someone was phishing I deleted it without opening it. I just received a phone call from them saying my card has been compromised.

This is the fourth time in less than three years that Bank of America notified me that my card has been comprised and I will be issued a new card in 5-7 days.

I haven't been out of the country in several months, no traveling out of state, and no recent internet purchases.

Me :p thinks that I need to start looking for another card issuing company since this is the only company that I have ever had problems with.

Now on to the task of remembering which companies I have my annual fees automatically being charged to so I can notify them when my new card comes in.

A card is usually compromised at a retailers end, not the issuing company. Target had a recent high profile breach that affected thousands and thousands of people from all card companies. Most likely some retailer you use the card at has had a breach that could potentially include your card information, hence the bank issues new ones. Now I am not a fan boy of BOA by any means, in fact I rather despise them. However I have had my RCI card for a number of years but rarely ever use it, I have not had a data breach or been issued a new card.

So you are upset with BOA for having a system that protects you from CC fraud. :confused: Yes I too have had my card reissued and am not a BOA cheerleader as my DH works at another financial institution. I would rather have the tight security over the hassle of CC fraud.

You might look a this from another angle. Seems to me that they are right on top of things, finding that your card was compromised, and taking the necessary actions, even before you had any idea. Might be considered an indication of a good company. Would be worse if they weren't finding these breaches till later.

BTW, had it happen to my Royal Caribbean BOA card once also.

You might look a this from another angle. Seems to me that they are right on top of things, finding that your card was compromised, and taking the necessary actions, even before you had any idea. Might be considered an indication of a good company. Would be worse if they weren't finding these breaches till later.

Ditto !

Happened to us 3 times. But good to know they catch it.

Why would you complain about them protecting you and issuing you a new card to ensure your safety???

This comment just doesn't make sense, although I understand what you are saying things happen and we need companies such as Bank of America to be right on top of things to protect us.

So you are upset with BOA for having a system that protects you from CC fraud. :confused: Yes I too have had my card reissued and am not a BOA cheerleader as my DH works at another financial institution. I would rather have the tight security over the hassle of CC fraud.

I agree with you! This is called protection and people for some reason don't realize that. Our Debit Card from our local back has been compromised a few times,is it a PIA? Yes, but at least they are doing what I would hope they are suppose to do. If you find a bank that will not contact you, good luck!

I also protect myself, I receive a text and email every time I use my card. This way I can watch my money too!

A friend of ours use to work BofA fraud dept and explained to us about a card being compromising,

It is from the merchants end, their system was hacked and if you used your card there, your information is vulnerable and possibly open to fraud.

It may or may not effect you but BofA is protecting you against any fraud by changing your card.

This has happened to us twice within 3 years.

BofA has a good fraud department and glad they've got my back! ;)

No individual or bank is immune. It's been 3 years, if not 4, but over the course of a summer both my wife and I experienced a complete change out of credit card numbers across 4 banks including Amex, B of A, Chase, and Citi. One of my Amex card numbers was changed 2x that summer as was her RCL Visa.

Don't know how or why, and it hasn't happened since, but it was annoying. I haven't left home without at least 2 cards from 2 different banks since.

I can appreciatd your pain.....be glad they have a good system. So far in the past year we were part of the Target breech/DHs SS number was compromised in a breech of computers for the county we live in because he applied for a job/our computer was hacked and his wallet was stolen from a locked locker at the gym. We now have purchased a protection from a big warehouse company and believe me the COST compared to the billboard you see with the owners SS number on it is a drop in the bucket for the same coverage. It is like living under a magnifying glass. Unfortunately this is the society we live in and it will only get worse as the thieves get smarter.

Sue

When I spoke with BoA last night they explained that if you set up your automatic payments on their web site, then any time you are issued a new card...ie, when it is renewed with a new expiration date or you are issued a new card with new numbers, the information is automatically updated.

I'll be looking into that tonight.

We have had ours compromised several times, but BOA's Fraud dept is truly on top of things, as is Discover' s. Once we took DD and S-I-L to buy a new TV and

a camera with our Discover Card. Then we took them not far to a restaurant

to have dinner. We gave the waiter the card, and in a few minutes he came back to say the charge wouldn't go through. DH called Discover, and asked what

the problem was. They said there were charges above the usual, and they

had tried to get us at home and couldn't, so they put a fraud flag on the account.

We always express our gratitude to both companies for their awesome fraud

departments.

Cruzin Lady

With all the other problems some folks seem to have here I feel like my problem is petty but I have to VENT :eek:.

I received an E-Mail this morning from Bank of America with the subject line "a new card has been issued." Since I didn't want to take a chance that someone was phishing I deleted it without opening it. I just received a phone call from them saying my card has been compromised.

This is the fourth time in less than three years that Bank of America notified me that my card has been comprised and I will be issued a new card in 5-7 days.

I haven't been out of the country in several months, no traveling out of state, and no recent internet purchases.

Me :p thinks that I need to start looking for another card issuing company since this is the only company that I have ever had problems with.

Now on to the task of remembering which companies I have my annual fees automatically being charged to so I can notify them when my new card comes in.

Is this related to Royal Caribbean?

For GOD sake people. Give me a break. I needed to VENT and I thought I could do it here. And when some of us vent we say things that makes us feel better at the time.

I'm sorry I took up your time. It won't happen again.

What really upsets me is that I don't get the impression that anyone (from the issueing bank to law enforcement to the merchants) really give a darn.

Mine recently got compromised also. Card never out of my control. Card rarely used,,, next thing you know there's an $1138 charge from a local store followed up by a $28 charge at a local McDonalds.

With all the cameras around,,, how hard would it have been to look at the charge,,,, see that the charge was ran a 11AM at store number XTZ, at cashier ABC,,,,,, cross referance all that info,,, look at security cameras,,, BAM,,, nail their butts and let them find a new boyfriend or girlfriend in jail.

Instead, the merchant doesn't care,,, law enforcement doesn't have the manpower,,, credit card company just increases interest rates to offset the loses.

What really upsets me is that I don't get the impression that anyone (from the issueing bank to law enforcement to the merchants) really give a darn.

Mine recently got compromised also. Card never out of my control. Card rarely used,,, next thing you know there's an $1138 charge from a local store followed up by a $28 charge at a local McDonalds.

With all the cameras around,,, how hard would it have been to look at the charge,,,, see that the charge was ran a 11AM at store number XTZ, at cashier ABC,,,,,, cross referance all that info,,, look at security cameras,,, BAM,,, nail their butts and let them find a new boyfriend or girlfriend in jail.

Instead, the merchant doesn't care,,, law enforcement doesn't have the manpower,,, credit card company just increases interest rates to offset the loses.

THANK YOU! I have been saying this for weeks now.....the police will not pursue it because the credit card company is not charging us for the amount. The credit card company will m not pursue the matter. Our crook got gas and I know that location has cameras. Easy enough to get a plate number and then go to the gym and say I want a list of everyone working and working out between the hours of open till 2 PM. They also bought a big ticket item at Wallyworld nobody even had to have looked at the back of the card as it said SEE ID. Nobody cares and the thieves know how to get away with just enough not to get caught. Now I will jump off MY Soapbox.

Sue

I had the same Chase Bank credit card comprimised 3 times. It was like an annual thing for 3 years. I also had $1,000 taken from my Dad's checking account with someone fraudently using my ATM card on the account. I realized it was a particular gas station in town, so we never go there anymore, and the fraud stopped.

We got all the charges reversed, and my Dad's money reimbursed. However, that's when I started using Chase Bank's alerts. I have an instant email whenever any credit card or debit card is used over $1. I also have my BofA debit card set up for that.

I now have peace of mind when I travel. We just got back from being gone for 2 months, and it was great to know if I used my card somewhere I'd get that email, and that if the merchant used it again fraudently, I would find out immediately.

It's not just Bank of America. My Chase Mastercard and Debit card, my Discover and another Mastercard have all been compromised in the last six months. Luckily, they all catch it quickly. I wish they had watched my kids this closely, when they were teenagers ;-)

It's not just Bank of America. My Chase Mastercard and Debit card, my Discover and another Mastercard have all been compromised in the last six months. Luckily, they all catch it quickly. I wish they had watched my kids this closely, when they were teenagers ;-)

See my post above. You can have emails sent instantly with Chase cards when they are used.