Northbound or Southbound, which one is more scenic?

cmood

Hi All,

Our first time to Alaska. Plan to do one way cruise either from Vancouver to Anchorage/Fairbanks or the other way turnaround. Also would like to spend 2-3 days to visit Denali National Park. Now comes questions:

1. Which way is more senic? Northbound or Southbound?

2. Princess has Cruise and land tour combination package, is land tour worth compare to self-guided tours.

3. Is Fairbanks worth a visit at end of July? It's not a Northern Light season

4. Is it necessary to book balcony cabin for viewing purpose?

As we will fly from east Canada, for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids), airfare is very expensive. So if possible, we'd like to see as much as possible. If land tour not worth, we can rent a car and have a couple of days self-guide tours.

Any comments are very much appreciated.

CMOOD:)

We have found the northbound to be amazing...the sail out of Vancouver past Stanley Park and under Lionsgate Bridge...what a way to start a cruise...also the scenery just keeps getting better as you head north..We find the northbound we feel like we're sailing towards Alaska not from it...JMHO...Enjoy regardless !!

We will be doing a northbound in a couple weeks. Our first Alaska cruise was a round trip from Vancouver. I agree with Ashland about the scenery getting better as the cruise continues north. Sailing out of Vancouver is also quite a treat that will be missed going south.

We are doing a Princess cruise tour; but had to take a 7 day one to be able to spend 2 nights in Denali. That was the only way we could have a full day in Denali to do the shuttle to Eielson Shuttle. We also wanted to spend see Kenai, so our tour is just what we wanted. Since we are retired, we have the time for a week land tour; but if I was still working, I would have probably just done Denali on my own by renting a car. When we return for our next Alaska cruise, that is the way we will do it.

From personal experience - in June 2011, we did a 5 day land tour prior to a Princess southbound cruise. I was very glad we didit in that order because the land tour portion was VERY busy. Cruising afterwards really gave us a couple days to relax (the 1st two days are scenic cruising in the glaciers). I was very happy with Princess' land tour accommodations, transportation and available excursions.

The scenery, in my opinion, was just as beautiful going south (essentially the same trip). Coming into Vancouver in the early morning quiet was peaceful and calm.

Having said that - we are going back to Alaska in 2 weeks to do our own 7 day land tour in the Kenai area (as opposed to our first trip to Fairbanks/Denali/McKinley(Talkeetna). We are again cruising south afterwards. If we'd felt 'comfortable' traveling on our own in 2011, we could have easily rented a car and driven ourselves from Fairbanks to Whittier (or Anchorage). There are many links on CC of those who have done these trips. If you are interested in my review from 2011, please email me at beh614@gmail.com and put "Alaska" in the subject. I also have the Princess lodges brochures and maps, as well as the Patters from that trip. :) AND I will be updating it with our upcoming trip!

Another thought to consider ... will it be easier on your family to have the longer flight at the beginning of the trip or at the end?

With kids I'd definitely go with a rental car. Cruisetours are mostly seniors. I'm a senior and even I couldn't handle all the waiting and herding! Having a car would give you the flexibility to stop when the kids need to stretch their legs, or to make other stops along the way. Keep in mind that Denali is a 5-6 hr drive from Anchorage ... an easy drive though. Save some money by staying in cabins or rooms with kitchenettes.

I'm assuming this is for next year?

Thanks all of above for the helpful suggestion. I guess we will fly in Anchorage/Fairbanks, rent a car, do land tour first and take a southbound cruise. We just are a bit of worry of long flight time back home, so have to compromise.

Does anyone know if Fairbanks worth a stop at end of July? Besides Northern light, is there something should not be missed? I understand it's not the right season to see Northern light.

Regarding cabin do we have much time sightseeing from our cabin? So far we had done cruise 5 times. Our last year's 12 days mediterranean cruise turns out to be a wise choice by booking 2 inside cabins, as most of days were port days. I still remembered 2 years ago Christmas day, we sailed from New York to the Bahamas, the blacony cabin was a waste as it was too cold outside. Any suggestions would definitely help our decision.

Thanks again

CMOOD

Fairbanks does have the Pipeline, but I wouldn't say it was an absolute MUST stop. If it were me, I'd fly to Anchorage and get a rental car and drive to Denali, spend 2 or 3 days in a cabin at Denali National Park. Then return the car to Anchorage and head to Seward/Whittier on the train.

You didn't say which cruiseline you are booking with, so that would make the departure point choice.

Scenery is going to be the same Northbound vs Southbound as most cruise ships follow the same routes and go to the same ports. You may hit them at different times of the day/night, but the scenery doesn't change.

Head to your library and check-out Frommer's or Fodor's Alaska travel guide. Have the kids check them out too.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise!

Thanks all of above for the helpful suggestion. I guess we will fly in Anchorage/Fairbanks, rent a car, do land tour first and take a southbound cruise. We just are a bit of worry of long flight time back home, so have to compromise.

Does anyone know if Fairbanks worth a stop at end of July? Besides Northern light, is there something should not be missed? I understand it's not the right season to see Northern light.

Regarding cabin do we have much time sightseeing from our cabin? So far we had done cruise 5 times. Our last year's 12 days mediterranean cruise turns out to be a wise choice by booking 2 inside cabins, as most of days were port days. I still remembered 2 years ago Christmas day, we sailed from New York to the Bahamas, the blacony cabin was a waste as it was too cold outside. Any suggestions would definitely help our decision.

I did a land tour follwed by a southbound cruise last year. I did a photo review, so feel free to check it out if you're looking for ideas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1868304

Ref room choice, I whole heartedly recommend a balcony. You'll see in that review...the views we had from our port side balcony cruising down the Alaskan coastline was priceless. It's easy to say you can just go up on deck, but with all that daylight, some of my best memories were early evening when my DW was getting ready for dinner...I just sat there taking in those enormous mountain peaks on shore.

We did a 14 day out of Vancouver last summer. It was actually a b2b so we visited the same ports. The scenery was pretty much equal both ways. and we had wonderful sunny weather aside from a cloudy day one of the days. I think it more depends on length of stay in each port, check that out. Also, as someone said depends if you want the long flight before or after the cruise! On my first AK cruise I did a southbound and the flight in was long but at least we gained 4 hr!

We are going to book Princess, family's favorable cruise line. Princess provides land and sea tour combination, as per all above comments, it might be a better choice just do cruising.

Again thanks for all above's suggestions.

CMOOD