Joining/Embarking Princess Cruise 4 days later

Our family is on a Princess 12 day cruise this summer. One family member will not be able to embark with us. She will miss the first 3 days, which are sea days and needs to embark in the first port of call. I have searched for info about whether this is ok. I know I will have to have permission from Princess but do not see anything on their website about this subject. Has anyone ever needed this special request? We have not booked one room yet because we're trying to figure this out. I do understand she will have to pay the regular cruise fare. Thank you!

you need to call directly and be prepare to be told it is NOT an option. the PVSA and other factors all play a part as to whether or not it is legal to do and if the port she wishes to embark at will let her do it.

Yes, and the line's agents are noticeably deficient in knowledge of the PVSA. If you could specify ship and itinerary, this would help.

If the late embarking passenger is joining in a different US port from the one the cruise ends at, unless the cruise calls at one of the ABC islands, the answer would be no.

If the late embarking passenger is joining in a foreign port, and the cruise is ending in a US port, then the answer is Maybe. In this scenario, it is up to the cruise line to decide whether or not to grant this, because of the additional paperwork involved with CBP. For a closed loop cruise from a US port, the passenger manifest made up at embarkation is sent to CBP to "pre-clear" the passengers during the cruise. This allows the casual clearance upon disembarkation from CBP. However, once a new passenger has joined the ship at a later port, a complete new manifest must be submitted, and the clearance starts all over. Also, depending on where the late guest embarked, it could affect the disembarkation clearance of the entire ship, as is the case with cruises to Belize, which receive more CBP scrutiny than other Caribbean/Central American cruises. I have seen lately that the cruise lines are becoming more strict about allowing late joining because they don't want the additional cost and headaches with CBP.

Yes, and the line's agents are noticeably deficient in knowledge of the PVSA. If you could specify ship and itinerary, this would help.

If the late embarking passenger is joining in a different US port from the one the cruise ends at, unless the cruise calls at one of the ABC islands, the answer would be no.

If the late embarking passenger is joining in a foreign port, and the cruise is ending in a US port, then the answer is Maybe. In this scenario, it is up to the cruise line to decide whether or not to grant this, because of the additional paperwork involved with CBP. For a closed loop cruise from a US port, the passenger manifest made up at embarkation is sent to CBP to "pre-clear" the passengers during the cruise. This allows the casual clearance upon disembarkation from CBP. However, once a new passenger has joined the ship at a later port, a complete new manifest must be submitted, and the clearance starts all over. Also, depending on where the late guest embarked, it could affect the disembarkation clearance of the entire ship, as is the case with cruises to Belize, which receive more CBP scrutiny than other Caribbean/Central American cruises. I have seen lately that the cruise lines are becoming more strict about allowing late joining because they don't want the additional cost and headaches with CBP.

So they have to go through all this if a passenger ACCIDENTALLY misses the embarkation port?

I assume that had we missed the ship on our Alaska cruise last summer we wouldn't have been allowed to catch up at the first stop which was also a US city?

So they have to go through all this if a passenger ACCIDENTALLY misses the embarkation port?

I assume that had we missed the ship on our Alaska cruise last summer we wouldn't have been allowed to catch up at the first stop which was also a US city?

Yes, you would not have been allowed to join the ship. A co worker of my DH was scheduled to depart from San Francisco on a cruise, but missed the ship and wanted to join it at the next stop, which was Seattle. It was not allowed, and she missed the whole cruise.

OP, a lot depends on where your cruise is. If it's an Alaska cruise, it won't be allowed as it violated the PVSA. But if it's a cruise in Europe, and it won't interfere with any local cabotage laws, it might be allowed.

Yep, same process for accidental late embark. This is why they are getting sticky about letting someone on late that missed due to flight problems, etc, that were not the line's fault. If you miss the embark port, you can't just fly to the next port on your own and hope to join the vessel, you would need permission from the lines, as the manifest would need to be modified not only for CBP, but for the port of joining as well, and the local customs officials would have to stick around until you joined so that they could clear you out of the country.

As for your Alaska cruise, no you wouldn't have been allowed to join at another US port, unless the line decided that it was either their fault or good PR, and allowed it and paid the fine themselves. You probably would have been directed to join at the first Canadian port (which in some cases, is the last port before disembarkation). In this case, it is a PVSA problem.

I think we need OP to give us more info.

Where does the cruise begin and end?

Which port is the family member planning to board in?

Many of the 12 day Princess cruises are in Europe where PVSA does not apply

Many of the 12 day Princess cruises are in Europe where PVSA does not apply

Hard to envision a cruise within Europe with 2 full consecutive sea days though.

My bet would be on an Alaska cruise ex-San Francisco. 1st stop is a U.S. port so might be PVSA-o.k.

Edited by cruising cockroach

Thank you all so much for your answers. Sorry for the earlier vague information. The cruise is European; embarking in London, 3 sea days then in Barcelona on the 4th day. This is where she needs to embark. Disembarkation is back in London. Not sure we can make this work after reading your replies but you have been helpful!

Kim, since it is a European cruise anything about the PVSA mentioned earlier does not apply. Do get a hold of Princess, hopefully someone knowledgeable, what you are asking to do, may be able to be arranged.