First RCCL - Differences from CCL?

Hi! We just booked our first RCCL trip! We will be on the Explorer Europe/Northern Africa next year. We are experienced cruisers having been on a bundle of CCL trips, 3 Disney, and 1 NCL. We are not "loyal" to any line, but pick our vacations based on price and itinerary. We are very excited to now be giving RCCL a try!

While looking through the boards I've been noting some differences among the lines, especially RCCL and CCL. For example, you may not carry on water or soda pop onto a RCCL ship? We will often pick up interesting non-alcolholic beverages at a port and take them home as gifts or just to try. It was good to know this policy in advance.

Any other differences I might want to know?

BTW - This is not a BASHING thread between the lines. Please keep comments positive and informative.

... We will often pick up interesting non-alcolholic beverages at a port and take them home as gifts or just to try.....

You can purchase alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages in ports and take them on the ship. The security people will take them and give them back on the last night of the cruise.

Hi! We just booked our first RCCL trip! We will be on the Explorer Europe/Northern Africa next year. We are experienced cruisers having been on a bundle of CCL trips, 3 Disney, and 1 NCL. We are not "loyal" to any line, but pick our vacations based on price and itinerary. We are very excited to now be giving RCCL a try!

While looking through the boards I've been noting some differences among the lines, especially RCCL and CCL. For example, you may not carry on water or soda pop onto a RCCL ship? We will often pick up interesting non-alcolholic beverages at a port and take them home as gifts or just to try. It was good to know this policy in advance.

Any other differences I might want to know?

BTW - This is not a BASHING thread between the lines. Please keep comments positive and informative.

RCCL ships don't get stranded in the middle of the ocean for weeks, that's a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While RCI states you can't bring beverages, they rarely care if it's non-alcoholic. Many folks will bring soda or water....The worst that will happen is they will hold it until you depart the ship.

RCI's ships have a much better design than CCL...eaisier to get around! RCI's cabins are a bit smaller than CCL's, but do have alot of storage space.

I've only been on CCL one time so I am by no means an expert. We felt dinner was less formal - service, attire and atmosphere. I felt that generally speaking people were a bit more dressed up on Royal. I would just keep that in mind when packing. Something you might have felt overdressed wearing on CCL, you might feel comfortable wearing on Royal.

Enjoy your cruise!

More smoking areas allowed on CCL. More party people on CCL. I felt the food was better on CCL, but prefer the décor, waiters attitude and over all dining experience on RCI. The décor, guest attitude, classy atmosphere and over all feeling of security that RCI gives is the reason we like RCI better than CCL. I am also a Princess fan....

RCCL ships don't get stranded in the middle of the ocean for weeks, that's a big difference.

Wow. Great job being polite and following directions. :rolleyes: I believe the exact quote was

"BTW - This is not a BASHING thread between the lines. Please keep comments positive and informative."

I'm certainly not a Carnival fan either, but it seems like you're just TRYING to start something with a comment like that.

I THINK the OP was looking for things like rules/policy differences that cruisers should be aware of. I was actually wondering the same thing, since I've only cruised DCL and things are much different there too. Hopefully some other people have some helpful things to add to this thread...

Not necessary. Really looking for information not sarcasm.

ANY ship can get stranded. This RCCL was stranded at port.

http://earlystart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/28/2224-passengers-stranded-in-bahamas-after-royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-catches-fire/

Please if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself.

While RCI states you can't bring beverages, they rarely care if it's non-alcoholic. Many folks will bring soda or water....The worst that will happen is they will hold it until you depart the ship.

RCI's ships have a much better design than CCL...eaisier to get around! RCI's cabins are a bit smaller than CCL's, but do have alot of storage space.

Thank you CB. I agree that CCL have many ships that are tough to navigate. Must go up to go down! lol! That will be nice. Smaller room size is fine - I'm happy with more storage though!

Wow. Great job being polite and following directions. :rolleyes: I believe the exact quote was

"BTW - This is not a BASHING thread between the lines. Please keep comments positive and informative."

I'm certainly not a Carnival fan either, but it seems like you're just TRYING to start something with a comment like that.

I THINK the OP was looking for things like rules/policy differences that cruisers should be aware of. I was actually wondering the same thing, since I've only cruised DCL and things are much different there too. Hopefully some other people have some helpful things to add to this thread...

Yes, thank you.

I am also wondering about days at sea and activities offered. I understand there is trivia. How about ship tours, cooking lessons, other things? We found NCL very different from CCL and lacking in activities on sea days. Disney on the other hand was packed with things to choose from.

I'm sooooo looking forward to sailing with RCCL. It has been on our list for some time, but just never worked out. I understand that the lines are in competition, but we cruisers shouldn't be fighting over which is best. It is all a matter of preference. I have found that CCL varies enormously based on itineraries. We've cruised Carnival 2 times in Europe and both were totally different from Caribbean cruises. Much nicer/calmer/classier in Europe. I think this one we have planned to Northern Africa will be fabulous!

No but they catch fire and have propulsion problems just like ANY other cruise ship can :rolleyes:

It wasnt "weeks" either.

Yes, thank you.

I am also wondering about days at sea and activities offered. I understand there is trivia. How about ship tours, cooking lessons, other things? We found NCL very different from CCL and lacking in activities on sea days. Disney on the other hand was packed with things to choose from.

I'm sooooo looking forward to sailing with RCCL. It has been on our list for some time, but just never worked out. I understand that the lines are in competition, but we cruisers shouldn't be fighting over which is best. It is all a matter of preference. I have found that CCL varies enormously based on itineraries. We've cruised Carnival 2 times in Europe and both were totally different from Caribbean cruises. Much nicer/calmer/classier in Europe. I think this one we have planned to Northern Africa will be fabulous!

Oh I totally agree. There are so many factors that can change your experience onboard, no matter what line. Northern Africa sounds amazing! Right now we're planning a Southern Caribbean on Anthem but not until 2016 because we're doing Hawaii (not on a cruise) in Spring of 2015. So many places to see, so little time! :)

I think the food is MUCH better on Carnival. Read my latest Carnival review (in my signature) where I write the review as a compare/contrast with Royal Caribbean.

first RCC cruise last yr, we went on Carnival Liberty a yr or so before and in 92 we went on Carnival Jubilee.

My observations....no offense to anyone.....

Royal is comparable to Princess, pretty classy, (again no offense) lots of mature stuff to do etc.

To me Carnival was the Greyhound bus, the party boats, and everyone treats it like that it seems. from 92, to a few yrs ago it seems nothing had changed, lots of small kids and teens on Carnival. Not that its bad, but we go on vacation in October to avoid that(kids running around unchecked, teens raising heck after 11 or 12

We have been on 11 Carnival cruises and 6 RCI cruises If you blindfolded me I wouldn't know the difference when it comes to food as entertainment that's a toss up as well , depending on the ship you could have an ice show , big plus for RCI. Now if your ship has a Royal Promenade BIG thumbs up to that , Carnival has nothing that compares IMHO. The rest one side will say one is better the other side will tell they are better , we are like you go where the wind takes us or price or itinerary.

We prefer RCI now instead of CCL. The ships seem much easier to navigate and get around. With CCL I remember always having to walk down hallways to get places. We also like the set up of RCI's buffet (windjammer) better then CCL. We always had to wait in a long line where RCI you can walk up to the stations. As far as activities my step daughter was just with us on her first RCI cruise and she thinks there is more on CCL to "keep busy" as far as trivia and games. We don't care about that so we never noticed but the kids always play that stuff. Food is a toss up. Pretty much the same in my opinion. We enjoyed CCL but I don't foresee us ever going back.

We have always bought water and soda in ports and brought it back on board with no worries on RCCL. They only take alcohol and give that back the last night of the cruise.

You are now allowed to bring on two bottles of wine per stateroom at embarkation only.

Edited by dixieva

I didn't read all the postings, but this is my 2cents worth.

I like Carnival, and NO, we DO NOT party, but find the rates are a little better. I can get a Carnival, Princess, Holland window or balcony for the price of the interior room on FOTS.

Someone mentioned that RCCL had smaller rooms, but that they had more storge space. They were right about the room smaller, but we did not find as much storage space as on Carnival.

I have never seen anyone bozed up bad on Carnival (remember Party), unless they had just came back from a port/island, and that can happen on any ship.

Formal night dress on RCCL I think was just as good as Carnival or Princess. There were people in sundresses or shirt/slacks. We always dress up and get compliments no matter what, so it doesn't bother us how people dress.

RCCL interior is a little more plush to me also.

RCCL had a nice sofa, which was a surprise, where Carnival doesn't.

I do like Carnival's beds/bedding better.

RCCL's ice show is great, where Carnival doesn't have that, or the parade which is good too.

Food, I really didn't find RCCL food any better than Carnival's or Princess. In fact one night I had steak, and it had a lot of gristle in it, and they didn't have much to choose from for something else, and brought me pasta, which was OK.

Much better entertainment choices on Royal in my opinion.

Much better bedding on Carnival (wanted to take home the mattress..lol)

A bit Larger standard staterooms on Carnival

I do like the privacy curtain that Royal has.

Free 24 hours a day room service on Carnival

Carnival allows smoking on balcony (Royal doesn't)

On Carnival, you have access 24/7 to filling up a cup (or your own drink tumbler) with water/ iced tea or lemonade dispensers in buffet area and ice, which can be very convenient.

No self serve laundry areas/iron and ironing board on Royal like on Carnival.

Also, Carnival has afternoon tea, not sure if Royal does this.

I like Windjammer buffet food set up better, but thought Carnival had more seating in their buffet area and so much easier to find a table

Most Carnival ships have three elevator banks (although sometimes with three banks, it could still be tough to get on one without a bit of a wait).

To me, service wonderful (cabin stewards, MDR waitstaff) on both lines.

Carnival ships tend to be very laid back, fun party atmosphere (for whole family). Dress code is more relaxed (on casual nights, you can wear jeans and dress shorts in MDR). Carnival cracking down a bit more on formal nights (just saw a couple get turned away without proper attire).

One negative for me on Carnival is the lack of adult supervision and I've seen young children swimming in adults only pool, and Carnival doesn't enforce this.

Also, Carnival's newest ship, Breeze, has really stepped it up..gorgeous sleek and refreshing decor, new layout on promendade deck and around lido deck pool, and new venues and an fabulous crew. I liked the ocean plaza concept design. There's also a sports deck with a suspended ropes course which looked fun (I don't care for heights myself), which I'm not sure if any other cruise line has. Dream class also has those "COVE" balconies which are very close to the ocean which are unique.

There are lots of similarities as well and enjoyed both lines very much.

I'll be sailing on Royal my next two cruises, and I know I will miss some things that I am used to having on Carnival, but really looking forward to my upcoming cruises with Royal.

We will often pick up interesting non-alcolholic beverages at a port and take them home as gifts or just to try. It was good to know this policy in advance.

You can still pick up these gifts in port. Just leave them with security when you board in port, and they will be returned to you on the last night of the cruise.

I think the food is MUCH better on Carnival. Read my latest Carnival review (in my signature) where I write the review as a compare/contrast with Royal Caribbean.

Thank you! Good review. Can't wait to compare them myself. So far, Disney is my favorite. All three of those cruises were hard to beat in all aspects except for price! lol! Disney is sooooooooo expensive!

Parade?

I too love Carnival's bedding. I'll miss that, especially since our cruise is 12 nights! Seems like that would be an easy upgrade to replace them with compfy ones. Our ship will be the Explorer. Apparently they are getting an ice rink. Exciting! We've never seen that on a ship. Can't wait! Excited about climbing wall too!

I've not been terribly thrilled with Carnival's entertainment, especially on 12 night cruises. Only like 3 headline shows, the rest seemed thrown together. We have also had repeats of shows from ship to ship. The Beatles show was worth repeating, but the Big Easy, not so much IMHO. Eager for new entertainment! Once again - LOVED Disney's could have watched Disney Dreams a million times!

Abisha, there is not 24/7 beverage areas for iced tea/water/lemonade? That is a big difference to us. We don't usually purchase the soda card and don't drink alcohol. Just assumed all lines had that.

No self-serve laundry also surprises me! Could be tricky on a 12 night cruise. On Carnival we used the self serve laundry on our European trip, but now most of my family is Platinum (we are 5 days away) but we share the free bags offered at that level. None of our party will get free laundry on this cruise.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts! Leaning a lot! Helps me to be prepared. Don't like too many surprises!