Question about "special" orders in MDR

tjcletsgo

I was wondering two things:

If we can't find anything on the menu that appeals to us can we order the room service Lasagna for dinner in the MDR since it's already made? Do we need to order it the day before?

How do you request special food the night before if you have Anytme Dining? Do you ask the waiter to call over the dining room manager?

Thanks everyone~:D

Edited by tjcletsgo

If you would like to make a request for something different, speak to your Head Waiter the night before and he'll see if it is indeed possible.

If you have Anytime Dining, I think you would state the approximate time that you would be in the restaurant or the Head Waiter would let you know which time works.

I suppose it shouldn't be a problem to request that lasagna....

Cheers.

If you have Anytime dining, let your waitstaff know that you'd like to see the next night's menu. The Table Captain/Head waiter will stop by and drop off the menu. You can check it out and he will stop by later to take your order. The next night, let your waitstaff know you've pre-ordered the lasagna or whatever.

Modifications to the night's menu are no problem. Examples would be no sauce on meat, baked potato, Alfredo Fettucini as a side dish, a Caesar salad as an entree, etc. I often ask for a salad with grilled chicken as an entree.

The room service kitchen is different from the dining room kitchen so ordering off the room service menu means a special trip for the waitstaff. This means slow service for not only your table but the other tables as well. Possible but I wouldn't do it as it would disrupt everyone's dinner. I've pre-ordered room service items the night before.

There's also a kid's menu, which anyone can order off of. I believe it features spaghetti and meatballs, so that's an option should room-service lasagna not be workable. It also has a burger (I think), hot dog, and other everyday kind of stuff. Plus the world-famous "Volcano," which is an enormous banana split !

Thanks so much, looking at the next night's menu is great! I keep hearing how good the lasagna is and some of the menus look underwhelming. I sure appreciate this info!:D

You might want to try the lasagna first. You could order lunch from room service one day and get the lasagna. See if you like it yourself. I know food is subjective and all that, but I don't like the room service lasagna at all. I find it the worst thing on the room service menu. I hope you do end up liking it, though.

Look here: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1979900&page=2

Post #12

Edited by shredie

IN A WORD - INEDIBLE -- ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, LIKE NO LASAGNA I'VE EVER HAD EVER HAD. EVEN THE STUFF IN THE WHITE BOXES IN THE SUPERMARKET IS BETTER.:mad:

Agree! Pretty bad.

IN A WORD - INEDIBLE -- ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE, LIKE NO LASAGNA I'VE EVER HAD EVER HAD. EVEN THE STUFF IN THE WHITE BOXES IN THE SUPERMARKET IS BETTER.:mad:

Just like the volcano.

If you like poor quality ice-cream, served by the bucket,

the volcano is perfect.

Just like the volcano.

the volcano is perfect.

I thought they used their home made ice cream in the volcano. I haven't ordered the volcano but their ice cream is actually pretty good.

I like the lasagna served in the dining room for lunch and also in the pizzeria on the Sun class ships.

Edited by Coral

Just like the volcano.

the volcano is perfect.

Not doubting your experience :( maybe it depends on the sailing / ship as we shared it twice on our 14 days sailing on the Ruby in April and it was delicious :D

Agree! Pretty bad.

I didn't have the lasagna in the dining room, but did at the buffet...OMG...it was the absolute worst, as was the pasta with marinara sauce. Tasted like spagettio's in the can and so soggy!

The pasta with meat sauce was a bit better.

Enjoyed the fettucini alfredo immensely at dinner though.

Edited by tbmrt
wording

I had to laugh when I read that the OP mentioned the lasagne on the room service menu. I just got off the Golden Princess and I ordered room service lasagne one night. OMgosh!!! It was horrid!!! Truly the worst thing I've ever had on any cruise. When it first arrived I thought the order got screwed up and they delivered chili instead of lasagna.

I thought it was a isolated screw up. I'm actually sad to think this is what Princess always serves on their room service menu.

It's a dish that's really not that hard to make. It's like they really go out of their way to make it disgusting.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Forums mobile app

I ordered the lasagne for my daughter one evening as room service and promptly sent it back when the middle of the lasagne was stone cold and the top part hot. Truly awful and I wouldn't order it again which is a shame as it's her favourite meal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums