Do NOT become to complacent as we did :O(

Shippy

I'm glad I read this because it has put me back in check. I'm always anal about locking things up however this past trip we just took we were very complacent and I know there were days I left my iPhone out. Very fortunate nothing happened but will be paying attention again here on out. Sorry this happened to you!

Same here! We were on our first cruse and brought electronics that we often left 'out'. Thanks for the reminder OP, sorry it was triggered by such an unfortunate circumstance.

OH Wow so so sorry to read this.

We have been on 40 plus cruises. Out of habit I always check the safe before I leave the room. I am a bit neurotic about keeping the room clean and in order and leave nothing personal or of value out in the open or unsecured when not in the room. I have learned that it is way too easy to loose or forget things in a messy disorganized room. I keep all of our prescription drugs, including none prescription drugs in the safe.

At times I have forgotten to lock things up too....

unfortunately I have seen first hand people leaving items behind and it not being handed in and poof it is gone

I was lucky I took my purse to breakfast on last morning and left it in Buffet how easy it would have been for someone to walk off with it but some honest person found it and they called me over the announcement system

It is my understanding they are to leave the doors open when in your cabin so everyone can see them and thus discourage stealing but that unfortunately works in reverse the same things happen in hotel rooms anyone walking by

I feel so sorry for the cabin stewards as I believe they value their jobs too much to steal and they are left with the blame

but after saying that I guess there is always one bad apple in any bunch so who knows

Yup...good reminder. I thought it was interesting the post from the person who walked into their hotel room and was never questioned. How easy would it be for someone to walk in and be like, oh, I forgot something..don't mind me.....continue cleaning.

When you are in a hotel, the person cleaning your room probably has no idea what the occupants of the room look like.

When you are on a Princess cruise, the cabin steward meets you soon after you board and will know if seeing someone coming into your cabin if that person should not be there.

I will only leave the charging cords and plugs out, since they are only a few dollars on ebay to replace.

They may not be expensive, but they are costly in another way if they go missing and you can no longer charge your camera battery or other device for the remainder of the cruise.

While any passenger is out of their cabin...yes...it is possible a number of people could have easy access....they leave the doors open as they clean multiple cabins at a time during the day and sometimes at night.

I once was bringing some fruit and a knife from the buffet to leave in my nightstand to use later that day.

Only after I had walked into the cabin (door was open), put the fruit and knife in the nightstand and left the cabin did I realize it was the wrong cabin.

I often wonder what the occupant of the cabin thought upon later finding the fruit and knife in the nightstand.

Would you walk into your house upon returning and finding its door open ? Come on people think , protect yourselves even on a cruise. Crime happens on cruise ships .

Recently returned from a 26-day transatlantic on the Royal. Locked money, passports, phone, credit cards, jewelry (never bring expensive stuff, only costume) etc., in safe every time I left the room. Charged computer, etc., overnight (every night). Laptop wouldn't fit in safe so I stashed it in one of suitcases under the bed when I left. Theft is a quick crime of opportunity. If they can't see it (or check usual places) in a matter of seconds, thieves move on to more attractive targets. Just don't be an attractive target. And if you leave something out, be sure it's something you wouldn't mind losing.

Edited by CI66774

I may be in the minority but I don't have my room cleaned twice a day on a cruise. At times, I put out the do not disturb sign on the door when I leave. If needed, I will get fresh towels when I see the room stewardess in the hall. Although I lock valuables in the safe or in my suitcase (with a non TSA lock), I feel the less access someone has to the room the less likely things can go missing.

Of course, I'm not suggesting ship personnel are prone to pick up something that does not belong to them, it's just for my piece of mind. Many moons ago I had a gold bracelet stolen on a Norweign cruise. I accidentally left the bracelet on the bed when I went to dinner. When I realized it and went back to the room it was gone. Since the incident, I've been more cautious with valuables.

Sent from my iPad using Forums