Marmite

I Love Marmite (the Kiwi Marmite - haven't tried the english marmite).

As a result of the big earthquake in Christchurch we had a nationwide shortage of Marmite :eek:! No Marmite could be seen on shelves anywhere. The shortage lasted many many months - possibly up to a year I think. It was enough of a concern that it featured on the evening news (now admittedly, there must have been a shortage of good news-worthy items;)).

I've always wondered, how many marmite fans switched to vegemite during the shortage and never returned? No shortage for me though, my pantry was already nicely stocked with marmite (and coveted by many during the shortage).

Edited by Embrace

vegemite is better than marmite

MMMmmmmm, agreed. However I will take Marmite if no vegemite is on offer. I wonder, do RCI ships sailing out of Australian Ports have vegemite onboard?

When I used to be a 'roughing it' kind of traveller and back-packed my way around SE Asia with my then young DS1, my travel tube of vegemite was a great conversation starter. I ended up with many interesting people sharing their stories while sharing my breakfast table...and sharing my vegemite:)

MMMmmmmm, agreed. However I will take Marmite if no vegemite is on offer. I wonder, do RCI ships sailing out of Australian Ports have vegemite onboard?

When I used to be a 'roughing it' kind of traveller and back-packed my way around SE Asia with my then young DS1, my travel tube of vegemite was a great conversation starter. I ended up with many interesting people sharing their stories while sharing my breakfast table...and sharing my vegemite:)

I can confirm that Radiance had it in the Windjammer this past Sydney season :D (It also had Bundy Rum which wasn't listed anywhere but was ubiquitous! ;))

Okay--where do I get a travel tube of Marmite? Love the squeeze jars but never seen a tube…. Marmite along with instant custard powder are the first things on my UK shopping list when we visit.

Never seen travel tubes - you might see a few of the little square-ish things (like butter and marmalade come in) at some breakfast locations (I have been known to snaffle a handful of them at hotel breakfast bars - purely to rotate their stock for them of course!);).

So I have to say that I've not tried English or New Zealand Marmite, but I do keep a jar of Vegemite in my pantry at home. Of course have it one white toast with lots of butter, but also good by adding bacon and cheese as well. Sad that Vegemite is so expensive in the US, and I believe English Marmite is just as $$$. I've only found one local store that carries both, and that is Cost Plus World Market. Have not been able to find NZ MArmite in the US. A 220 gram jar of Vegemite is about $10. Glad the stuff lasts a while!

Edited by A2Mich

.... A 220 gram jar of Vegemite is about $10. Glad the stuff lasts a while!

OMG that IS expensive! In NZ a 220g jar of vegemite only costs about $NZ3.49 so that could be approx. $US2.96.

It's sad about the cost in the U.S. but I bring mine back from the UK.

Along with other items that I import, including Bovril, which is an English Beef tea that I love and aah! Bistro Best flavored gravy mix powder, in many different flavors.

I'll have a bit of Marmite on toast, in the morning to celebrate this thread!!

Rick

PS....I need to edit this to say that I also import goose fat for roasting potato's. Much better than even bacon grease!!

Edited by rubrrick

Will be going on Navigator in August, so will check the WJ for it (although I'm betting that it would be a hard sell to a shipload of southerners!)

Thanks for expanding my condiment vocabulary!!

They had it just a few days ago:D

You think that's expensive? Here in the Canary Islands, I recently paid over 10€ for a 500g jar of Marmite. Now that WAS a bit expensive! You used to be able to have a meal for that!