US vs UK TA

lexdisic

Hi

Can anyone tell me if Oceania allow someone from the UK to book a cruise through a US TA as some cruise lines do, and some dont.

I ask as I would like to compare prices because I am again receiving offers on selected cruises with :-

Free premium drinks package

Free flights

Free Verandah upgrade

Free gratuities.

Free £99 business upgrades

I realise that I can get the cruise only price without flights, but as a minimal drinker, I would prefer to pay as I go and not have the package. I believe the free package is not offered in the US at the moment, so I would like to make a comparison without the package, but it would be a pointless exercise if I am unable to book with a US agent.

Many thanks

I would say NO but then others that have done it will report yes

Even if you do not use the drink package the prices will be the same ...I would guess

They do not up the price to include the perks ..do they??

If you have a brochure for UK check the price then & now ..

if you clear your Cookies in your browser you might be able to look at the Oceania USA site & compare the cruise you are interested in

Edited by LHT28

Don't know the answer, but I do know that I've been on European cruises where the Brits were travelling for far less than we. For those able to travel last minute, relatively speaking, a lot of opportunities appear to arise for the Brits and other Europeans. If a cruise is not sold out, it appears that substantial sale prices become available through Brit TAs about a month before cruise time. These pricings are not available for American tourist.

I would say NO but then others that have done it will report yes

Even if you do not use the drink package the prices will be the same ...I would guess

They do not up the price to include the perks ..do they??

If you have a brochure for UK check the price then & now ..

if you clear your Cookies in your browser you might be able to look at the Oceania USA site & compare the cruise you are interested in

I was trying to find out if any US agents would accept UK bookings, in principle before I started looking. I know Az and X do, and Princess dont allow it, so I dont want to start comparing only to find out that they wont allow it. I imagine they do up the price for the perks as they are advertising that the perks are the same value as the cruise itself :confused: and you can have the "free flights" removed to give a cruise only price. Remember last year when they doubled the price to only then do a 50% promo and after it finished the price came down again? The itineraries they are offering in this instance dont interest me anyway, but I am looking at a future cruise when the 2016 sailings come out. I really do not want an included drinks package if they are offered and certainly dont want to have to pay for it or not get a reduction if I dont use it - hence my looking at the US agents. I could perhaps e-mail a few US agents to see if they do accept UK bookings - thought I would ask here first if anyone has actually done it.

Don't know the answer, but I do know that I've been on European cruises where the Brits were travelling for far less than we. For those able to travel last minute, relatively speaking, a lot of opportunities appear to arise for the Brits and other Europeans. If a cruise is not sold out, it appears that substantial sale prices become available through Brit TAs about a month before cruise time. These pricings are not available for American tourist.

I imagine that would be because of last minute flight availability to the US travellers, travelling to Europe - same for us when looking at the Alaska/Caribbean. My concern is the offering of the premium drinks package as a perk, which I do drink a little, but as a perk - free or included - is pretty much wasted on us

Remember last year when they doubled the price to only then do a 50% promo and after it finished the price came down again? The itineraries they are offering in this instance dont interest me anyway, but I am looking at a future cruise when the 2016 sailings come out. I really do not want an included drinks package if they are offered and certainly dont want to have to pay for it or not get a reduction if I dont use it - hence my looking at the US agents. I could perhaps e-mail a few US agents to see if they do accept UK bookings - thought I would ask here first if anyone has actually done it.

You can always ask ;)

I am not sure you are understanding the marketing of Oceania

Here in North America the standard promotion is 50% off brochure rates ..it is just a gimmick to make you think it is a good deal ;)

I have not seen Oceania up the prices to cover the added perks maybe they do in the UK but not here in North America

The prices in the brochure are the same as the new promotion prices with the perks added to a attract new bookings

That is why I suggested looking at previous brochures & comparing the prices

They may have brochures online at the Oceania UK site

When I have looked the UK pricing looks like a better deal

JMO

Lyn

You can always ask ;)

I am not sure you are understanding the marketing of Oceania

Here in North America the standard promotion is 50% off brochure rates ..it is just a gimmick to make you think it is a good deal ;)

I have not seen Oceania up the prices to cover the added perks maybe they do in the UK but not here in North America

The prices in the brochure are the same as the new promotion prices with the perks added to a attract new bookings

That is why I suggested looking at previous brochures & comparing the prices

They may have brochures online at the Oceania UK site

When I have looked the UK pricing looks like a better deal

JMO

Lyn

I thank you for the reply, but my question was "does Oceania allow US TA's to sell to the UK" I dont need to know how and why they market as they do, but can I take advantage of a promo that does not offer the drinks package from the US, just like I can buy cruise only without the "free flights" and have a reduction in the fare, I would like to buy the cruise without the drinks package or the "free flights"

I would have to argue about the perks - they may not put the prices up to cover the perks - they will already have included them in the price to then give them back - no such thing as a free lunch - just like the flights

Ok I found a brochure for the UK & you do not have the same marketing as in North America

No 50% off brochure prices

You have price then EBD which is a bit less

I guess that is the difference in the UK marketing & the USA

Plus the airfare to Europe will be a lot less so if you can take the air credit it will be a lot less than the US credits

I thank you for the reply, but my question was "does Oceania allow US TA's to sell to the UK" I dont need to know how and why they market as they do, but can I take advantage of a promo that does not offer the drinks package from the US, just like I can buy cruise only without the "free flights" and have a reduction in the fare, I would like to buy the cruise without the drinks package or the "free flights"

I would have to argue about the perks - they may not put the prices up to cover the perks - they will already have included them in the price to then give them back - no such thing as a free lunch - just like the flights

I do not think they add in the price of the drinks package & you can get a credit if you do not take it like the Included air

It is a different situation

I would ask a TA there if that is an option

Here if they are giving free gratuities, free internet & an OBC people cannot opt out of having those perks & getting a discounted fare for not using them

YMMV

Good luck in your quest

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Ok I found a brochure for the UK & you do not have the same marketing as in North America

No 50% off brochure prices

You have price then EBD which is a bit less

I guess that is the difference in the UK marketing & the USA

Plus the airfare to Europe will be a lot less so if you can take the air credit it will be a lot less than the US credits

We also have more robust consumer protection here, which of course affects the price we pay and the way things are marketed. Using a US agent can be risky for us as we lose the protection, but it has been done successfully providing the cruise line allows it. The cruise I am after is the Bangkok to Istanbul trip in 2016 on Nautica, so a long way off yet before even the itineraries are announced. Hopefully Oceania will have favourable options for us without the need to complicate matters for ourselves.

We also have more robust consumer protection here, which of course affects the price we pay and the way things are marketed. Using a US agent can be risky for us as we lose the protection, but it has been done successfully providing the cruise line allows it. The cruise I am after is the Bangkok to Istanbul trip in 2016 on Nautica, so a long way off yet before even the itineraries are announced. Hopefully Oceania will have favourable options for us without the need to complicate matters for ourselves.

Have 2016 itineraries been announced?

Edit:

Whoops - sorry see you are anticipating it being announced.

Edited by buggins0402

From a travel agent friend.....pretty self explanatory :)

"Booking International Customers

Travel agencies in the United States or Canada may make Oceania Cruises bookings only for residents of the US and Canada. Residents of all other countries must be booked through travel agencies within their respective country of residence. This restriction is reciprocal with regard to travel agencies outside of the US and Canada, who are not permitted to book residents of the US and Canada. Travel agencies making any bookings not in compliance with this policy will forfeit those bookings and the corresponding commission."

Travel agencies in the United States or Canada may make Oceania Cruises bookings only for residents of the US and Canada. Residents of all other countries must be booked through travel agencies within their respective country of residence. This restriction is reciprocal with regard to travel agencies outside of the US and Canada' date=' who are not permitted to book residents of the US and Canada. Travel agencies making any bookings not in compliance with this policy will forfeit those bookings and the corresponding commission."[/quote']

Thank you

Travel agencies in the United States or Canada may make Oceania Cruises bookings only for residents of the US and Canada. Residents of all other countries must be booked through travel agencies within their respective country of residence. This restriction is reciprocal with regard to travel agencies outside of the US and Canada' date=' who are not permitted to book residents of the US and Canada. Travel agencies making any bookings not in compliance with this policy will forfeit those bookings and the corresponding commission."[/quote']

Thank you

Hi

Can anyone tell me if Oceania allow someone from the UK to book a cruise through a US TA as some cruise lines do, and some dont.

I ask as I would like to compare prices because I am again receiving offers on selected cruises with :-

Free premium drinks package

Free flights

Free Verandah upgrade

Free gratuities.

Free £99 business upgrades

I realise that I can get the cruise only price without flights, but as a minimal drinker, I would prefer to pay as I go and not have the package. I believe the free package is not offered in the US at the moment, so I would like to make a comparison without the package, but it would be a pointless exercise if I am unable to book with a US agent.

Many thanks

If you really want to compare rates and promotions you must remove the air portion if it is offered – you want cruise only - otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges since the air package is based upon the brochure location and airfare is relative to where they are actually flying you to/from. Add in your estimated airfare later to see if their package makes a difference to the total deal.

Second get yourself a VPN that allows you to change/mask your IP address (some are free and advertising prone – others you pay for). That way you can “put” your computer in that market, otherwise the Oceania website defaults you to the market where your IP address is showing. Trying to tweak google search to give you a specific location search doesn’t work since Oceania’s website is “smarter” than that. Google will show you other sites but once you click in – Oceania’s website takes control.

As far as getting the rate, I am American temporarily in London. There were significant – like multiple thousands of dollars difference in some very specific cruises on the UK Website (cheaper). I compared both US and UK using IP address changes. I was able to purchase in UK. Oceania’s quibble wasn’t about my citizenship but about my mailing address. I found the cruise even cheaper in France/Germany (Euro swing). The story I got was that I had to have a “local address” so they could "mail" the final cruise documents to me.

Really??? In this day and age of internet you have to "mail" me my cruise documents. Is it about the luggage tags? I think that is how Oceania limits it market without actually admitting to market control and protectionism. They have to “Mail” you the documents to that local market. If I gave them my address in Lyon, (my cousin’s house) they would have mailed the documents to there at the Euro price – but I would have had the hassle about relying upon my cousin to get them to me in time etc.

Come to think of it – do you actually need those documents to board? Can't you get tags at the embarkation point? I don’t remember on our Tahitian cruise if we ever presented hard copy cruise documents but we did pretag our luggage. Anyone know if the hard copy documents are necessary?

So for getting a US rate the Australian cruisers have gone over and over this and it seems that most who are successful at getting a US rate have arranged some type of US mailing solution. Its not about citizenship. Check the posts.

If you really want to compare rates and promotions you must remove the air portion if it is offered – you want cruise only - otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges since the air package is based upon the brochure location and airfare is relative to where they are actually flying you to/from. Add in your estimated airfare later to see if their package makes a difference to the total deal.

Second get yourself a VPN that allows you to change/mask your IP address (some are free and advertising prone – others you pay for). That way you can “put” your computer in that market, otherwise the Oceania website defaults you to the market where your IP address is showing. Trying to tweak google search to give you a specific location search doesn’t work since Oceania’s website is “smarter” than that. Google will show you other sites but once you click in – Oceania’s website takes control.

As far as getting the rate, I am American temporarily in London. There were significant – like multiple thousands of dollars difference in some very specific cruises on the UK Website (cheaper). I compared both US and UK using IP address changes. I was able to purchase in UK. Oceania’s quibble wasn’t about my citizenship but about my mailing address. I found the cruise even cheaper in France/Germany (Euro swing). The story I got was that I had to have a “local address” so they could "mail" the final cruise documents to me.

Really??? In this day and age of internet you have to "mail" me my cruise documents. Is it about the luggage tags? I think that is how Oceania limits it market without actually admitting to market control and protectionism. They have to “Mail” you the documents to that local market. If I gave them my address in Lyon, (my cousin’s house) they would have mailed the documents to there at the Euro price – but I would have had the hassle about relying upon my cousin to get them to me in time etc.

Come to think of it – do you actually need those documents to board? Can't you get tags at the embarkation point? I don’t remember on our Tahitian cruise if we ever presented hard copy cruise documents but we did pretag our luggage. Anyone know if the hard copy documents are necessary?

So for getting a US rate the Australian cruisers have gone over and over this and it seems that most who are successful at getting a US rate have arranged some type of US mailing solution. Its not about citizenship. Check the posts.

Thanks for that - very interesting. I have Zenmate so I can mask my IP address. Re: the air fare - on our last BKK to Dubai cruise on Nautica, we did our own air and the credit we got was only slightly less than the air fare itself , but decided to do our own as we didnt want to go via China and it increased the travel time quite considerably. Its unfortunate that the air fare has such an impact on the cruise price depending where you live and the itinerary thats chosen. Good for us for Europe - good for the US for Caribbean etc. OBC and gratuities are equivalent of cash anyway, so our main reason for looking at the US was the drinks package inclusion thats of no interest. I do hope Oceania dont go down that route as AZ have done, but its something we may just have to put up with. Thanks again for your input.

I do not live in the US or Canada but I use a US travel agent to book my cruises. Have done this for years. When the cruise line tried to refer me to their UK-based European operation I refused to be switched and told them that either I book through the Dallas-based TA that I have used for years or I don't cruise with them. Objection was withdrawn and I continue to cruise on Oceania and use my Dallas agent!

The disadvantage to using the US agent for me is air fares. They cannot package airfare for me which would result in substantial savings, especially on a trans-atlantic cruise originating in the US or in Europe for which I need a one way business class fare. However I am willing to live with this and do the air myself to get the excellent service that I do from my agent. There is a slight offset in that the prices I get are also a bit better I think.

Clearly the cruise lines have their agents who are supposed to have a "monopoly" in each respective country. Which is why they say that booking via a US agent is only for people in the US and Canada. But they also want business and as long as this doesn't become a mass exit I suppose they will continue to accept it.

You really do not need documents to board. A passport will do. However, without the luggage tags there could be difficulty getting your luggage to your cabin. I suppose that someone from Oceania could find some luggage tags when you arrive at the ship but it may take a few minutes.