Royal Disappointment on Explorer

Thanks for the update. Will be on the Explorer in a week and hopefully the changes are in place. I will report when I get back.;)

Have a GREAT cruise but, if you are gonna report back anything other than everbody was pooping through silk, be ready for the torches and pitchfork crowd represented by this:

I love that he threw you a bone with saying they took it seriously because it came from a businessman Even better that you actually seem to have believed it.

I'm glad they took it seriously, but I imagine the response would have been the same regardless of your imagined self-importance.

There are a bunch of them out there. Fortunately, I was too stupid (or was it self important?? Hmmmm) to keep quiet.

Cruisin' welcome back, I've missed you. I am truly sorry you don't consider yourself important but maybe we can meet someday and you can prove yourself correct. :D

Edited by JohnGaltny

I love that he threw you a bone with saying they took it seriously because it came from a businessman :rolleyes: Even better that you actually seem to have believed it.

I'm glad they took it seriously, but I imagine the response would have been the same regardless of your imagined self-importance.

Good point--I would guess that a measurable number in these boards are considered "businessmen or women" and don't need to point it out. Does being a businessman make them more important than being a doctor or a construction worker? I doubt it, and I doubt RCCL cares where someone's money comes from, as long as they get some of it.

Edited by ducklite

LOLOL

and away we go yet again. Maybe you all can get this thread closed too. Give it a shot.

Enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. If you know what my screen name means then you know my response. I'm done with it.

Have a nice life.

I'm devouring all sorts of stuff on these forums, prior to our first cruise in a few weeks time.

I just wanted to make a comment about the yellow stain on the sheets. It may not have been urine. We run sailboats and often find yellow stains on linen, towels, and on the GRP of the boat itself. The culprit is P60 and similar tan-enhancing products. I don't mean artificial tans; these products are sold to those who want to tan better or quicker. Those who use them don't even realise that they include a substance that stains.

These stains are very stubborn. Much more difficult to get rid of than urine. Laundering doesn't shift them at all. I've even tried soaking towels in bleach and it won't shift them. Now we just give affected towels to the local animal shelter and replace them. The stains could easily be mistaken for something more unpleasant. Doesn't explain the blood which I agree sounds like someone was scratching bites, but I think the yellow stain is more likely to have been caused by a suntan product than pee!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm devouring all sorts of stuff on these forums, prior to our first cruise in a few weeks time.

I just wanted to make a comment about the yellow stain on the sheets. It may not have been urine. We run sailboats and often find yellow stains on linen, towels, and on the GRP of the boat itself. The culprit is P60 and similar tan-enhancing products. I don't mean artificial tans; these products are sold to those who want to tan better or quicker. Those who use them don't even realise that they include a substance that stains.

These stains are very stubborn. Much more difficult to get rid of than urine. Laundering doesn't shift them at all. I've even tried soaking towels in bleach and it won't shift them. Now we just give affected towels to the local animal shelter and replace them. The stains could easily be mistaken for something more unpleasant. Doesn't explain the blood which I agree sounds like someone was scratching bites, but I think the yellow stain is more likely to have been caused by a suntan product than pee!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much Cairo. I didn't know that and now I do. Appreciate the education.:D

Guest maddycat

I'm glad that everything worked out for you.........that RCI took your complaint seriously and is following up with the hotel director.

We've sailed on the Explorer many times and have always found the crew to be friendly, pleasant and accommodating. We're sailing on the Explorer one last time on Oct. 23, 2014 (the last round trip cruise from Bayonne) and we're hoping that it will be as pleasurable as our previous cruises.

No flames coming from me. But I will start inspecting the bed linens on our future cruises. I've not given the matter much thought before.

I have been inspecting the bed/linens for years; it started before they used

duvets.

That's the first thing I do upon entering my cabin!

Joanne

I'm glad that everything worked out for you.........that RCI took your complaint seriously and is following up with the hotel director.

We've sailed on the Explorer many times and have always found the crew to be friendly, pleasant and accommodating. We're sailing on the Explorer one last time on Oct. 23, 2014 (the last round trip cruise from Bayonne) and we're hoping that it will be as pleasurable as our previous cruises.

I am totally on your side. Explorer has been my favorite ship of all and I am genuinely sorry to lose her.

LOLOL

and away we go yet again. Maybe you all can get this thread closed too. Give it a shot.

Enjoy whatever it is you enjoy. If you know what my screen name means then you know my response. I'm done with it.

Have a nice life.

Only a couple of people seem to be consistently giving you any grief. The rest of us appreciated your posts.

Only a couple of people seem to be consistently giving you any grief. The rest of us appreciated your posts.

I appreciate that you "get" what I'm intending to do. The haters gonna hate but they are inconsequential insects more to be pitied than taken seriously.;)

Thank you for posting not only the problem but what RCI has proposed as the solution.

We too had a similar experience with Freedom on the May 25th sailing. While it was a very enjoyable cruise, our MDR experience was not what we have come to expect after many sailings with RCI.

I am currently writing a letter and, as yourself, am not expecting anything in return. I would just like a return of "Royal" service that I am very fond of.

Tim

Hello Mr Galt... so glad you received a timely response to your letter and you are happy with the outcome. I do know that the buck stops with the Hotel Director and I'm sure your letter will be a topic of conversation, soon, if not already. We are taking new cruisers on a quick 4 day cruise over Christmas on the Explorer, so I'm especially hoping things go well for us!

On another note... Yes... we need to share a cruise... and I accept your challenge (from your thread that disappeared!) You'll have to join me though... shot for shot!

I wish you and yours fair winds and following seas...

Hello Mr Galt... so glad you received a timely response to your letter and you are happy with the outcome. I do know that the buck stops with the Hotel Director and I'm sure your letter will be a topic of conversation, soon, if not already. We are taking new cruisers on a quick 4 day cruise over Christmas on the Explorer, so I'm especially hoping things go well for us!

On another note... Yes... we need to share a cruise... and I accept your challenge (from your thread that disappeared!) You'll have to join me though... shot for shot!

I wish you and yours fair winds and following seas...

I'm in Linda. Drink for drink. Can I stay with my seasick meds? It's called Jack Daniels.

Funny how one thread gets locked and another disappears. Could there be some sinister conspiracy?? Hmmmmm. On the bright side, I did get another warning for complaining about it. If I keep winning these I'll have full dinner service for 8 soon..

Hope you enjoy Explorer. If they tweak the stuff I mentioned, you shoyld have a great time. And I did, in fact, book AoS out of San Juan on May 3, 2015. See you there, souvenir glass in hand??

Thank you for posting not only the problem but what RCI has proposed as the solution.

We too had a similar experience with Freedom on the May 25th sailing. While it was a very enjoyable cruise, our MDR experience was not what we have come to expect after many sailings with RCI.

I am currently writing a letter and, as yourself, am not expecting anything in return. I would just like a return of "Royal" service that I am very fond of.

Tim

EXACTUMUNDO. Owe were on Freedom last August and my review of that is in my sig. I truly hope Royal takes us seriously and I hope you also get an appropriate response.

Just be very careful posting any of it here cause my " fan club" is about to be unemployed so they'll be looking for someone else to laugh at them.

EXACTUMUNDO. Owe were on Freedom last August and my review of that is in my sig. I truly hope Royal takes us seriously and I hope you also get an appropriate response.

Just be very careful posting any of it here cause my " fan club" is about to be unemployed so they'll be looking for someone else to laugh at them.

I haven't shared our experience here, YET. I WILL POST both my letter and response when it is received. On this board, service is almost as subjective, and debatable, as food quality.

Just a brief note, we were sailing with several friends, we were seated at a table of 10 with one server, the rest of our group was at a table for 6. Their MDR experience was WONDERFUL and they were seated withing 10 feet of our table.

Tim

I haven't shared our experience here, YET. I WILL POST both my letter and response when it is received. On this board, service is almost as subjective, and debatable, as food quality.

Just a brief note, we were sailing with several friends, we were seated at a table of 10 with one server, the rest of our group was at a table for 6. Their MDR experience was WONDERFUL and they were seated withing 10 feet of our table.

Tim

Interesting about those tables. My assessment was that the MDR staff and cabin steward were just rushed. The other crew looks more like a morale problem. There are always a couple of crew who are at the end of a contract and burned out, but the whole ship? That looks to be systemic.

Interesting about those tables. My assessment was that the MDR staff and cabin steward were just rushed. The other crew looks more like a morale problem. There are always a couple of crew who are at the end of a contract and burned out, but the whole ship? That looks to be systemic.

OMG, this is EXACTLY what we experienced. We always had to be the one to speak first, even those with stripes. This was the first time this had happened to us.

Our server told DW she was moving to Quantum and I was wondering, if she is going to the new ship, I hope she gets better there.

Tim

A good number of people gave you endless grief and blamed you and looked to discredit you. Now RCI has put their tail between legs, and it seems like no one is picking on you now. Go figure. Good for you seeking a response and sharing as well as all the garbage people dircted at you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

It's almost as if RCI doesn't care about the North American market and is busy trying to lock up Asian market. Right or wrong it's the optics of things.

Taking Quatum of the Sea's , bailing on New Orleans .........

It's almost as if RCI doesn't care about the North American market and is busy trying to lock up Asian market. Right or wrong it's the optics of things.

They don't. They care only about the bottom line. And yeah, it ticks me off, but they are a publicly traded company... Their objective is to maximize shareholder wealth and that's what they are doing, unfortunately.

UPDATE AND RESOLUTION:

On June 10 I received a call from a very nice gentleman named Fiaz who is either from Mr. Goldstein's office or Customer Relations at RCI.

We spoke for roughly 30 min and he apologized for the bloody sheets incident and agreed that this was unacceptable, most particularly the second time.

I actually found it encouraging that he was more concerned about my "intangibles" comments. He asked very specific questions (he had indeed done his homework) about service and where I saw understaffing as opposed to incompetence. As example, I repeated what I had written about our MDR wait staff, that they were very good but had run ragged trying to service their section.

As a lesson to others in these situations, Fiaz indicated that they took this letter seriously because "it obviously came from a businessman" AND because it complimented some crew even while conveying a negative experience. Use that (or not) as you wish.

Fiaz also indicated that the letter would be conveyed to the Explorer Hotel Manager as a "for action" memorandum. I have NO idea what actions can, or will, be taken but I take him at his word.

At the end he offered me a $300.00 credit toward the next cruise. I told him it was unnecessary but he insisted so I accepted and thanked him.

END OF STORY: I am encouraged that RCI responded within roughly ten days and am totally satisfied with their response. I was never leaving RCI anyway but this result has cemented that plan. Now I just hope they actually do something to reverse this trend for all of us.

Thank you for the update. I am glad it was resolved to your satisfaction and that you felt heard. Hopefully, changes will be made fleet wide.

OMG, this is EXACTLY what we experienced. We always had to be the one to speak first, even those with stripes. This was the first time this had happened to us.

Our server told DW she was moving to Quantum and I was wondering, if she is going to the new ship, I hope she gets better there.

Tim

Interesting that you found the same situation on Freedom and that your assessment dovetails with mine. Again, I hope Royal takes you seriously also.

It appears they are following the money, which they should. With our economy basically stagnant for 6 years, they may be seeing an emerging market in Asia and it's just smart business to respond to that. I don't know this is the fact, but it is logical. It's not required that I like it, just that we know it.

They don't. They care only about the bottom line. And yeah, it ticks me off, but they are a publicly traded company... Their objective is to maximize shareholder wealth and that's what they are doing, unfortunately.

I share your dismay at these actions BUT Royal must act in its perceived best corporate interests. Even with my letter I understand that. I just think their "corporate interests" are best served by good customer service. Hopefully, the executives agree with that. Their response to me may be just "eyewash" but, if they get enough resistance they will see that cost cutting reaches a point of making the product undesirable which is decidedly not in their best interests.

Edited by JohnGaltny

A good number of people gave you endless grief and blamed you and looked to discredit you. Now RCI has put their tail between legs, and it seems like no one is picking on you now. Go figure. Good for you seeking a response and sharing as well as all the garbage people dircted at you.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks L Max. I'm glad it was of value to you. That was my intent in the first place.

For the most part, I tried to answer the sincere questions (like LindaO) in a serious manner. The Carribots and ad hominem attackers got no better than they deserved.

We still have a couple of stragglers who resent that I do not apologize for my accomplishments or my abilities but, if they know John Galt, it should not surprise them. They still see life as a zero sum game, not realizing that whatever I may (or may not) be does not denigrate what anyone else is or has accomplished nor do theirs threaten me in any way. Sad for them.

As a footnote, I made it clear in my larger review that I have eternal admiration for Ms. Browne, the washee/washee lady for her dedication to what she is doing. She's not an executive (OMG!!!) but she deserves all my respect for doing what she does so well (if at times a bit annoyingly LOL).

Thank you for the update. I am glad it was resolved to your satisfaction and that you felt heard. Hopefully, changes will be made fleet wide.

Thanks Norwane. I've appreciated your support throughout this process. I'm also glad Royal responded appropriately. I guess now that I have praised them, I'm alright again with the Carribot crowd, at least until next time.:D

Edited by JohnGaltny

Thank you for posting the reply you received from RCI. I will be sailing on the Explorer in a few weeks and I have been following this thread.

I would not be happy to have stains of any kind on my sheets. I am glad that RCI appears to be taking you seriously and I hope that these problems are resolved.