Solstice 1604 Nov to Aus/NZ

gaa2

First time on Celebrity. Would appreciate any comments on cabin, (AQ 1604) ship, itinerary...first time to Australia and NZ. Really excited! Many thanks for your tips, secrets, etc.

Welcome to Celebrity!

At the top of the Celebrity forum, there's a "sticky" thread for S-class cabin information. Just do a search for "1604" and you'll find a number of posts about this cabin.

As you may already know from looking at a deck plan, you'll be on the forward-facing slant of the "hump" (the bump out in the middle of the ship). This is a great location, very convenient to the elevators. Also, the balconies of the cabins on the slant of the hump are larger than the balconies of other cabins in the same class (which is another way of saying you'll have a larger than normal balcony).

The pool deck is above you; on the "sticky" thread, some have reported they could hear deck chairs being moved.

As for Celebrity "tips," just keep reading this board! :)

Have a great trip!

First time on Celebrity. Would appreciate any comments on cabin, (AQ 1604) ship, itinerary...first time to Australia and NZ. Really excited! Many thanks for your tips, secrets, etc.

We sailed on Solstice next door in 1606. Stateroom 1604 has a large balcony, and the bed configuration is with the bed by the balcony. It's in a very convenient location on the ship. You'll be very happy with this stateroom.

It might be worth your while to check out the several Roll Calls for Solstice for the Aus/NZ cruises later this year (we are on the 9th Dec cruise Auk - Syd). There is a whole lot of good info on these roll calls...also a lot of current gossip and trivia cos people are getting excited and restless :p

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise "down under'

cheers

Wine O

We have both 1604 and 1606 for our August cruise however we were told 1604 had the bed by the wardrobe and 1606 by the balcony doors by Celebrity. We prefer the bed by the wardrobe so have 1604 and have asked for 1606 to have twin beds for our son and daughter. Have we got this wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Wine O

We have both 1604 and 1606 for our August cruise however we were told 1604 had the bed by the wardrobe and 1606 by the balcony doors by Celebrity. We prefer the bed by the wardrobe so have 1604 and have asked for 1606 to have twin beds for our son and daughter. Have we got this wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Not Wine O, but from the S-class cabin info "sticky" thread, this person who sailed in 1604 on the Solstice says the bed was by the balcony:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24376589&postcount=792

Same for this person on the Eclipse:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24650851&postcount=829

While I can't offer much expertise on that specific AQ room, the Big News, in my view, is that you will not be spending lots of time in your cabin. Why?

1. There's lots to do, enjoy and eat in and around this nice ship with so many good options.

2. Lots of great ports to see and experience during this cruise that will keep you very, very busy. This is not the Carib!! So many wonderful shore options that are world-class.

As noted in my live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February, doing Australia to NZ. All worked out well!! Need proof and lots of ideas to consider? Check out these postings and see the many, many visuals for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, the great ports, etc.

Added tips and considerations?

A. Consider carefully and allow time BOTH before and after your cruise to see more in Australia and New Zealand. We super enjoyed Kangaroo Island, the Great Barrier Reef/Rainforest areas and nearby to Auckland.

B. It's costly, but well worth it to do the Celebrity Queenstown overnight trip. You'll get to see the amazing interior of the super scenic South Island and better understand why people love New Zealand so much.

Tell us more on where you are from, your ages, your personal interests, loves and desires for going down under, how much nature, wildlife, history, architecture, etc., excite you. What specific ports will your cruise hit?

Below are just four of my quick sample pictures for the excitement on this ship. Added questions and reactions?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 58,547 views for this fun posting.

For dining in Tuscan Grille on the Solstice in January while sailing from Australia to New Zealand, we started with a nice glass of sparkling Italian wine (Prosecco Spumanti). Fun, especially as the glass kept being re-filled!! One bread stick (got to save room for the later “good stuff). The main course was Lobster Papardella Alfredo (not shown here). But, the best is always saved for last . . . a nicely designed and super tasting of this Italian favorite, Tiramisu. I also had some Limoncello to top off the dining delights. Did we like it all? Absolutely!! Plus, we had lots wave action to see (and survive) from this great viewing position on the back of the ship with its big glass windows on the fifth floor of the Solstice. :

TuscanampBridge1_zps179efed3.jpg

TuscanampBridge14_zps6b5518d2.jpg

Here are two of my photo highlights from the Solstice production show called "Ghostlight--The Spirit of Broadway". Lots of great tunes, including many from the Four Seasons as done on Broadway with Jersey Boys. Other very good tunes that connected with many of the Baby Boomers (and older) on this cruise. The singers and dancers really worked hard and did a super good job. Great voices!! Lots of energy and excitement. Nice lighting, staging, sets, etc. First-class for a cruise ship. Not quite Broadway and London's West End. And, all done in less than hour. Worked extremely well for a night's entertainment either before or after dinner!!

SolsticeShows14_zpsa6c2e9ba.jpg

SolsticeShows17_zps45d5d28d.jpg

Wine O

Thank you for your help.

It's not too late to switch rooms. :D 1606 has the bed by the bath/wardrobe, and has the largest balcony. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. ;) 1604 has the bed by the balcony and has a large balcony, but 1606 is even larger. You can open up the partition between the two balconies to have a great big one.

Great reply... Very helpful, thanks. We are a married couple in our 50s, love nature and water sports...experienced scuba divers. We do not live in LA but will be flying from LAX. We tend to shy away from crowds and generally enjoy smaller cruise ships like Paul Gauguin but this itinerary excited us, and the AQ verandah seems like a nice place to relax on sea days. Would love to go to Great Barrier Reef and Lizard Island sounds fun but due to work schedule cannot arrive until Monday before the Thursday sailing, not sure how to make that work. I did not realize we could do an overnight excursion in NZ...I assumed we could not get off the ship during the day we are cruising the Milford Sound. We have no excursions planned yet. The only must-do for hubby is the Bridge in Sydney. The idea of sailing in the Bay of Islands seems perfect! We will likely avoid large group tours. Your recommendations are most appreciated.

Great reply... Very helpful, thanks. We are a married couple in our 50s, love nature and water sports...experienced scuba divers. We do not live in LA but will be flying from LAX. We tend to shy away from crowds and generally enjoy smaller cruise ships like Paul Gauguin but this itinerary excited us, and the AQ verandah seems like a nice place to relax on sea days. Would love to go to Great Barrier Reef and Lizard Island sounds fun but due to work schedule cannot arrive until Monday before the Thursday sailing, not sure how to make that work. I did not realize we could do an overnight excursion in NZ...I assumed we could not get off the ship during the day we are cruising the Milford Sound. We have no excursions planned yet. The only must-do for hubby is the Bridge in Sydney. The idea of sailing in the Bay of Islands seems perfect! We will likely avoid large group tours. Your recommendations are most appreciated.

Appreciate your follow-up, added info and I agree 100% for understanding why you noted: "this itinerary excited us". Too bad that your pre-cruise time is so tight. Our experience near the Great Barrier Reef and on Lizard Island was super. Maybe you could do the GBR prior, but it would be challenging to your schedule. But, worth checking your options to see, if and if.

Yes, you can get off of the ship in Milford Sound, IF, and only if, you do the special overnight excursion through Celebrity. It's not a cheap option, but we, and the others in our group, really loved this exciting experience.

As detailed on my live/blog, I did the Sydney Harbor BridgeClimb. Awesome experience. Loved it!!

Let me know any added questions, needs for additional information. Just post on my live/blog as the best way to reach me. Happy to share more. Good luck!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 172,330 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 5 months later...

Less than a month to go...from looking at these boards it seems that finding room in my luggage for a couple of collapsing cubbies for over the bed would be good, and maybe a magnetic hook and clothes line. Other suggestions? Also, are there outlets at the side of the bed? any self-laundry machines (I heard the ship laundry shrinks things)? Is it correct that in AQ we also get all concierge class amenities and all we have to do is ask our steward?

Less than a month to go...from looking at these boards it seems that finding room in my luggage for a couple of collapsing cubbies for over the bed would be good, and maybe a magnetic hook and clothes line. Other suggestions? Also, are there outlets at the side of the bed? any self-laundry machines (I heard the ship laundry shrinks things)? Is it correct that in AQ we also get all concierge class amenities and all we have to do is ask our steward?

Hi GAA,

There is no self serve laundry aboard, not are there ironing facilities.

So you really have to depend on the Ship's Services for help if you need it... Laundry - Drycleaning - and Pressing.

Or hand wash out things yourself and air dry them in your cabin (clotheslines on M-Class Ships - BYO on S-Class Ships)

For more info & pricing etc take a look at Celebrity's Website and the FAQs Section (worthwhile read)

http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions

Aqua Class Cabins get all the perks that Concierge get and more... Again additional info on the Website in the FAQs and here

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard-celebrity/staterooms

Cheers!

Ps... Less than a month to go... So Have you done your online check in - got your luggage tags - joined your CC Celebrity Roll Call - and registered with Celebrity for the Meet & Greet yet ?

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

We were in these rooms on the Eclipse in August. Great position but the cabins were noisy when the party band was playing during evening deck parties. We soon adapted by joining in the party. I would recommend packing ear plugs if you are not the partying kind. This was the cabins only issue and we would certainly book these cabins again.

Yes you will get all the CC amenities.

A few AQ class tips.

You can usually swop the sparkling wine provided in your cabin for a credit in Blu.

Your steward will provide ice in a ice bucket if requested.

It's hard to find a pillow menu so just describe the types of pillows you require ie firm, soft body etc.

There is usually three apples on a divided plate in your cabin however you can request the type of fruit you require on your fruit plate. We usually have grapes, bananas or pears.

The steward will provide a cheese and biscuits plate instead of the canapés but you still need to be in your cabin to receive it.

Need extra towels, blankets for your balcony ( handy if it's a bit chilly ), more coat hangers etc just ask. We have always found the stewards to be very accommodating.

We have always asked the steward to do a spot of ironing for us and although there is a charge we have been very happy with the results.

Have a lovely cruise.

I've brought both the magnets & 1 collapsible bin, both very helpful & took up no luggage space (we carry on only) No outlets by side of bed, but I have brought a retractable extension cord for my tiny fan.

I've sent out clothes to the ship laundry almost every day on the Infinity, Solstice, Equinox, & Silhouette, ( That's how you carry on for a month long trip :) ) never had any problem with how our clothing came back, I've done both stuff the bag, & individual pieces. I don't send out anything good in the stuff the bag, I use individual for that.

BTW, I've had 1608, all those cabins are terrific!

Have a fantastic time