Upcharge breakfast; is it coming?

LMaxwell

We are celebrating our 15th anniversary in a couple of weeks. I fondly remember the tableside pasta preparation on the Grand Princess on our honeymoon! I had it every night! Of course, that was when they had a pasta course every night.

That being said, we love the crepe restaurant on Celebrity's solstice-class ships, which is a $5 pp charge and has wonderful breakfast, savory and dessert crepes. Disney also has a very successful brunch at Palo on sea days. It is so popular that it is nearly impossible to book it unless you are in a suite/concierge or are high level in the past passenger ranks.

So yes, I think something similar on Princess would sell.

Bistro on 5 is now $7. Still worth it IMO

As with anything else, it all depends on value. I'd have no problem with them offering an upscale breakfast in a specialty venue, provided two things..

1> The venue that is charging more must provide a higher level of ingredients and service (I expect that the price of these items will be higher, thus the upcharge). This could be as simple as fresh eggs versus carton, thick cut bacon, maybe a small ribeye.

2> The included dining options do not reduce as a result in that the addition of a specialty venue does not incur any changes to the MDR or buffet that would not have happened otherwise.

An example of this would be the amazing brunch in Palo on DCL, which actually enhances the buffet, because some of the overmake ends up there.

That's the difference between this and the current kerfuffle over room service and alfredos. This would be adding a new optional offering without taking away options. The new charges for the others do not add or improve offerings, they simply remove options.

I understand others' qualms on this, especially those those that primarily eat fruit, cereal, yogurt, baked goods etc., I could see why they would not opt to dine at such a venue.

However as a diner that prefers a little bit of protein with his breakfast, I would applaud the option of paying a nominal cover charge($5-$10)<---equivalent to the price of one cocktail(w/ service charge)---for a higher quality breakfast.

We are port-active cruisers that are off the boat ASAP, so we usually opt to eat at the HC for breakfast fare, in place of what may be a longer dining affair in the MDR.

That stated, on sea days or port days that involve a post morning arrival time, I might like the idea of having a nicer sit down breakfast.

Truth be told, the protein offerings in the HC get pretty old after a day or two, to the point that by the end of the cruise, I am wishing for some real thick-cut bacon and/or quality sausage or fried eggs/omelets that aren't so greasy that even a guy that can handle a little greasy spoon;) isn't turned off.

The home fries, circular hash-browns, biscuits are also usually pretty bad to the point that perhaps I think that Princess must be trying to convert me to the healthier fruit/yogurt crowd:)

If I could go to a venue(say the Crown Grill/or Sabatini's to join suite guests in the a.m.) where they offered some higher quality breakfast fare, I would join the OP when making the choice to do so.

I realize the concept of a la carte turns many longtime Princess cruisers off for various understandable reasons -- Most of which is a perceived lessening of the overall quality of what has always been included in one's fare. Many also don't like the feeling of being nickled and dimed while on vacation.

I look at it like this. I choose not to pay extra for something? I don't.

You'll never see the DW or I in the Sanctuary or buying services at what we perceive to be at over-inflated prices at the Lotus Spa. But that's our personal choice. We would rather donate that money to the ship by playing on their super-tight slot machines or a bingo session every once in a while:D

The home fries, circular hash-browns, biscuits are also usually pretty bad to the point that perhaps I think that Princess must be trying to convert me to the healthier fruit/yogurt crowd:)

LOL! Those things are pretty foul. I'm not sure, though, that I'm ready for an upscale breakfast option. I was hoping Princess might put a moratorium on adding new up charge items for awhile. (Yes, I know--hahahahahahahahaha.)

I eat pretty simply at breakfast so I can't imagine paying an additional fee unless there was a crepe place and then I might once per cruise.

I wouldn't mind seeing a nice crepe place as an option, but not sure that I'd pay more than $5 for it.

Now that Princess has eggs Benedict and French toast on its brunch menu in the mdr you are able to get them for breakfast by just asking.:D

Remember the brunch menu is only available on sea days.

This recent chatter about new charges (drink mixers when ordering a cocktail, room service delivery fee, $10 Alfredo's) it has me wondering if upcharge breakfast is on the way?

Wondering is one thing ... but, no real reason to think this will happen very soon since there's no "chatter" about it. :D

LuLu

Very true. But we were always able to get eggs Benedict any morning - actually in the singular because one is all we want.

I just find it frustrating that other lines have these and I actually don't like to do special orders because it requires planning, etc... For example, I would hate to arrange for it and then the following morning, be running late and skip the dining room. I also don't like to be the one who always asks for something special. I don't think it would be that difficult to after 15 plus years, to update the breakfast menu to include breakfast basics like waffles (which they can't do in the dining room now), flavored pancakes daily (blueberry, banana, strawberry) or french toast.

For example, one day I joined my mom in the dining room while she ate (and I didn't order anything but juice). I had planned to go to the ice cream station to get waffles when she was done. She told them that, so they ran up to get waffles from me and all the sides. Very kind but it did take extra time out of their busy schedule. They should be equipped to do this with out extra effort.

Edited by Coral

However as a diner that prefers a little bit of protein with his breakfast, I would applaud the option of paying a nominal cover charge($5-$10)<---equivalent to the price of one cocktail(w/ service charge)---for a higher quality breakfast.

That stated, on sea days or port days that involve a post morning arrival time, I might like the idea of having a nicer sit down breakfast.

Truth be told, the protein offerings in the HC get pretty old after a day or two, to the point that by the end of the cruise, I am wishing for some real thick-cut bacon and/or quality sausage or fried eggs/omelets that aren't so greasy that even a guy that can handle a little greasy spoon;) isn't turned off.

If I could go to a venue(say the Crown Grill/or Sabatini's to join suite guests in the a.m.) where they offered some higher quality breakfast fare, I would join the OP when making the choice to do so.

I'd be delighted to share a breakfast table with you. I just hope you can tolerate the wait while a heathen such as myself orders a well done steak to go with my eggs.

You hit the nail on the head; I'm willing to pay for high quality protein offerings. Less starches and carbs, and less greasy, oily, lower quality meats. To my tastes $10 for what I propose sounds reasonable.

...I am unwilling to pay small / nominal charges for low quality items, but will pay a surcharge for quality items....

On Princess ... We expect quality and are expect not to pay additionally for it.:p