Anyone refuse to tip on a cruise?

We cruised Hawaii a few years ago and prepaid our tips (required on Norwegian ).Our cabin steward never once cleaned our room or did anything. Every day we called to complain, with no results. We went to the pool area to get towels. The dishes from our cabin stacked up outside of our cabin. We kept complaining and nothing. At the conclusion of our cruise this waste of space steward got his tip. NEVER AGAIN.

Yes, quite cheap as a matter of fact - don't forget that includes the room steward and those who work the breakfast and lunch shift. Do some cheapskates stiff the staff and deprive them of a portion of their well-earned salary? No doubt - and I sincerely believe there's a special place in H*ll reserved for them.

Ok, former TA here. I always explained to my guests the importance of tipping as the best way to say thank you.

Trying to give the benefit of the doubt here.......

The importance of a good travel agent has declined the last 10-15 years. Do you think, perhaps, a segment of the poor tippers simply do not understand how important these tips are to crew? They have lost the TA component who would have explained it.

L

I would be interested to see how quickly the tips are paid to the staff.

If I pay my tips in advance, do RC give the tips to the staff in advance of the cruise? During the cruise? After the cruise? Where is my money going if I pre pay 6 weeks in advance? I hope it's not being given to the staff afterwards ...

Now that would be interesting to know.

It takes very little research to find out all of the expected extras (such as tips). The one TA I have used in the past has that info on the actual booking page as well as being told by the TA as I was booking it. For the service charge to come as a complete surprise to someone would be almost unbelievable to me and that excuse could only be used on someone's very first cruise.

Cruise pricing is no different than many other pricing models. Has anyone every paid for a car what is advertised on TV? There pricing models are so bad I routinely ask anyone I'm buying anything from if the price they quote includes "tax, tags, and title"! :D

And comparing to the UK model really isn't fair either as here in the US you pay tax on top of the price indicated on the tag for almost everything. In the UK (and the rest of Europe) the tax (VAT, MWST, etc) is already included in the price tag. The thing is, when doing business in the US, people from anywhere should learn and understand the US model just like I as an American learned the British, German, Dutch, and Bosnian models when I was stationed in those countries.

I don't disagree with this, however, I personally see a tip as something given for good service. That's just how I see it. Therefore I expect good service and then give a tip. It's seen as optional, to me.

I would be interested to see how quickly the tips are paid to the staff.

If I pay my tips in advance, do RC give the tips to the staff in advance of the cruise? During the cruise? After the cruise? Where is my money going if I pre pay 6 weeks in advance? I hope it's not being given to the staff afterwards ...

Now that would be interesting to know.

It is given to them in each semi-monthly paycheck.

It is given to them in each semi-monthly paycheck.

id be very interested to know if all the money collected for tips goes to them. they seem very pleased when i hand them cash.ill tell you that.

I would like to personally thank "Ocean Boy" for completely missing the point of the post and my comment. After spending 7 nights getting to know my waiter and assistant waiter I mentioned that we had prepaid our gratuities. He immediately responded that he has a list of everyone and tracks who has pre-paid or not. He showed me the list, and then we discussed his plans for promotion to head waiter. I have actually made a point to find waiters I have met when I return aboard. I was happy to hear he had been promoted.

This is slightly off topic - but my point is: After travelling a bit, I have found that there are significant cultural differences. RCC is based in the US. If I were to sail another line out of another country I would need to adapt to the local culture.

I appreciate the input from everyone on this - thasks

Hmmm, one more thing that was really not any passenger's business to see.

The word "infatuation" is a gross overstatement. In reality, it's just convenient to pre-pay. I personally like to do things that make my life a little more simple.

If writing a check before your cruise is simpler than writing a check after your cruise then go for it. How people pay bills, that are not owed to me, is even less of a concern to me than how they dress for dinner.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Hmmm, one more thing that was really not any passenger's business to see.

I was trying to provide some insite based on my actual onboard experience. I'm not sure what you are adding to this conversation... other than your personal off topic opinions.

We cruised Hawaii a few years ago and prepaid our tips (required on Norwegian ).Our cabin steward never once cleaned our room or did anything. Every day we called to complain, with no results. We went to the pool area to get towels. The dishes from our cabin stacked up outside of our cabin. We kept complaining and nothing. At the conclusion of our cruise this waste of space steward got his tip. NEVER AGAIN.

I would never sail on NCL again, I loved NCL in 80's and 90's. I also found that they do not listen to compaints, but never had major issue with cabin steward like you had. I would like to go back to us tipping at end of the week , like it was for my 1st few decades sailing ( also we never did not tip waiters or stewards)

To quote one of my favorite CC members, "Hey, Redcard, how have you been?"

Agreed :rolleyes: I cant believe the Administration here doesnt know how to ban someone on the IP level. Its VBulletin software and VERY easy to do.

Maybe they just choose to give people chance after chance after chance. Who knows?

Dont feed the troll yall.

Edited by ryano

The only problem I have with a pre-paid tip is that it probably ends up still stiffing the crew, just not as much as before.

If you ask me, tips (especially mandatory ones, or at least ones where the employee needs them to make a living) in general should be abolished. Absorb this pre-paid tip into the cost of the cruise with it negotiated via contract that this money is set aside for the crew, and just make it known that the crews on your ships are fully compensated as part of the cost of going on the cruise, but that the traveler can certainly tip, but only to those who go above and beyond during their trip.

Make the tips a reward for providing truly EXCELLENT service. This whole concept of needing to tip 15% is just an unnecessary hidden fee that should be handled up front during the booking process.

Agreed :rolleyes: I cant believe the Administration here doesnt know how to ban someone on the IP level. Its VBulletin software and VERY easy to do.

Maybe they just choose to give people chance after chance after chance. Who knows?

Dont feed the troll yall.

FWIW, they may have done that. Most residential internet service uses a dynamic IP service, not static, fixed IP. Redcard did disappear for a number of weeks/months, maybe his IP address just changed a couple days ago.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

The only problem I have with a pre-paid tip is that it probably ends up still stiffing the crew, just not as much as before.

If you ask me, tips (especially mandatory ones, or at least ones where the employee needs them to make a living) in general should be abolished. Absorb this pre-paid tip into the cost of the cruise with it negotiated via contract that this money is set aside for the crew, and just make it known that the crews on your ships are fully compensated as part of the cost of going on the cruise, but that the traveler can certainly tip, but only to those who go above and beyond during their trip.

Make the tips a reward for providing truly EXCELLENT service. This whole concept of needing to tip 15% is just an unnecessary hidden fee that should be handled up front during the booking process.

Bravo :D

The real key is poor terminology.

The cruise lines love to promote cheap fares (in all countries, not just the US), so they don't want to add these costs directly into the fare.

If they just stopped calling it a tip and referred to it as a service charge, they could rid themselves of these messes. However, it was explained to me that in some countries, they would then be required to quote this price as their real price. I'm not sure which countries, but this has been quoted as the reason it is still called a tip.

As an American, this is one of my least favorite things about pricing structures in this country. I see a meal advertised as $9.99 (hate that, too! Just call it $10, but that's another rant against stupid people) but I walk out having paid taxes, a tip, etc. for that item and spent $14.00 or so.

I love whenever we go overseas that if something is 10€, I spend 10€.

One can only hope that as the US gets younger and younger (in state of mind) with these Baby Boomers slowly, but surely, ditching this mortal coil, this "OMG I HATE CHANGE BECAUSE IF IT'S DIFFERENT, THEN IT'S BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD! BAD I SAY! MAKE IT THE SAME!" attitude will start to subside.

We could all certainly (worldwide) use a little progressive* thinking.

*Could the US finally just join the world on the metric system????

Could the Brits join the rest of the world on the right-hand side of the road?

Could the Brits pick a single system of measurements?

Could the US finally drop $1 bills? (the sheer number of old people who say "they can rip it from my cold dead hands!!!" or tell you about how they will have 25lbs of change... when they only have 2 paper $1 bills on them, because in this new world without $1 bills, they will suddenly feel an urge to have $100 in singles on them at every occurrence)

Could the US drop the penny and round transactions?

Could the US drop the 2 party political system and just find a way to be nice to its citizens instead of half the country dogging the other half of the country on a programmed rotational basis based on whichever "bum" (because we all know that OTHER GUY is always a bum and YOUR candidate would've done everything correctly!) from the other side gets elected that term?

Edited by poncho1973

How do you know that people that remove the so called tips don't tip.If you spend more time worrying about what you do and not what other people do You may be able to remove that frown on your face.:)

Wow, I didn't know you were my father? Otherwise, what would you care or have any say whatsoever with what I decide to do with my time??? Being that I am over 18 years of age, I am free to spend my time according to my wishes, no one else. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I kind of enjoy standing around the GS desk on the last night and listen to all of the excuses people come up with for removing their service charge. And the excuses they use guarantees they are not tipping anyone. Many of them state right up front how they overspent on their bar bill or shopping and don't have the money to pay the tips. Others (probably the ones that do this all the time) come up with some of the most far fetching reasons that just make you laugh out loud. It's a show and it's as good as, if not better, than the comedy show! :D

BTW, I didn't use a frown emoticon, I used an mad emoticon. There is a difference you know. And yes, cheapskates make me mad. :mad:

Edited by Out to sea!

Some seem to assume that OBC is a given on every cruise and it's enough to pay the service charge. The few times I've gotten any, it did not cover the service charge.

Norcalemto2

I prepaid since I had MDT. The steward couldn't have been better and no, he did not skip a day to vacuum or "forget" to do anything else in the cabin. The waiter and assistant waiter were also outstanding so along with extra in cash at the end of the cruise, I made sure to fill out a comment card for all of them.

If someone assumes they will be getting OBC on every cruise, they are very wrong though I do believe there are a few squeaky wheels out there who do everything possible to ensure they get some OBC all the time. The one time I got OBC, it was on Carnival and they give OBC for any cabin reductions after final payment date (which is authorized with the ES rate). Luckily, the cabin price dropped far enough that I got enough OBC to cover my tips (and then some) but as I said, that has only been 1 time out of 13 cruises. Of course, I'm not the squeaky wheel that goes and begs for something I am not authorized to begin with (such as OBC for a price drop after final payment date if you are are not authorized anything after final payment date).

I would like to personally thank "Ocean Boy" for completely missing the point of the post and my comment. After spending 7 nights getting to know my waiter and assistant waiter I mentioned that we had prepaid our gratuities. He immediately responded that he has a list of everyone and tracks who has pre-paid or not. He showed me the list, and then we discussed his plans for promotion to head waiter. I have actually made a point to find waiters I have met when I return aboard. I was happy to hear he had been promoted.

This is slightly off topic - but my point is: After travelling a bit, I have found that there are significant cultural differences. RCC is based in the US. If I were to sail another line out of another country I would need to adapt to the local culture.

I appreciate the input from everyone on this - thasks

I can't see ANY cruiseline doing this. They would open themselves up to a world of issues in the media, and can you imagine the frivolous lawsuits from someone claiming they got poor service because they didn't tip? Perceived favoritism, etc. Not saying you're lying, just saying I don't think this is an industry wise practice.

They should treat MTD guests the same way as fixed time dining. Last 5 cruises, 5 of 5 could not get traditional dining time. One of those was booked almost 14 months in advance. RCI thinks I should be treated differently than fixed time diners. I call it a sham.

Fundamentally I am against pre-paying for things in life. I prefer to pay after services are rendered and when a bill is due. I pay all of my bills when due, I do not send in money 3 months early and accrue a pent up credit for future services.

And RCI does not give that tip money to their staff immediately after my cruise ends; it may take 2-4 weeks for them to receive that money.

First Bank of LMaxwell is apparently open for business.

I do agree that MTD should be treated like fixed dining in relevance to the tips. If one does not have to pre-pay tips for fixed time, it should be the same for MTD, especially since no one has to deal with handing an envelope to a waiter anymore.

You may be fundamentally against the idea of pre-paying but it's quite possible that it brings relief to others. Relief from having to a large bill at the end of the cruise, relief to know everything is paid in full before going, or any number of other reasons. If it makes someone happy to do so, by all means, they should feel free to do so.

Any proof for that last statement of yours or is this another "I heard from someone" type of statement?

I love the prepaid tip concept. Pay in advance, use your cruise credit card and get points toward future cruises, one less thing to think about during vacation. I've never had service that didn't warrant a good tip, so I'm not concerned about the possibility of "overpaying".

My cabin bill is paid by my credit card so I get points on my CC when I pay my tips at the end of the cruise as well. You don't have to prepay to get those points on your CC.

Since you are 'fundamentally against pre-paying for things in life', I am sure you would prefer to go on your cruise and then 'pay for it' at its conclusion.....so therefore if you liked the 'cruise experience you had' you would pay them, and if not....'oh well'. The world doesn't work that way.

Even in a consulting business you get paid upfront, on the expectation, of having the project that was being undertaken done on time and well.

Many consultants do not get paid in full upfront, not sure where you live, but here in Virginia, that's usually how things work.

When you book a cruise you are paying for your room-it is guaranteed to be there when you board the ship, as opposed to you getting there and HOPING they can accommodate you. You will need food and beverage-as one can not live without either, so the expectation is that you will also eat on said cruise. THAT is what you are paying for upfront.

But just like a restaurant, the industry wants us to believe that this surcharge is optional-if it wasn't one could not remove it, yes?

I leave it on because it's easier than tracking people down and who wants to waste their last day running around looking for people.

BUT, if my 'tip' is supposed to essentially be the pay their employees receive increase the price of the cruise. Simple as that.

how many of us would walk in a restaurant and tip before the meal? i do realize some you prepay at the counter and a cruise yes you pre pay for . but tipping normally comes after. if you like to go ahead but some of us like it old school.

i see many assuming those who do not prepay want to not tip thats not true at all for many.

Is it really any different that prepaying on an airline for luggage you will take when said luggage has not been moved yet?

And when did cruising becoming normal? It still is pretty much a high end luxury that only a few people have the luxury of doing. There are some different customs that come with cruising that you do not see in the "normal" world. And on 13 cruises (with 4 more booked), I have never had to prepay my tips, ever, so it really is more like the normal world in the tipping aspect. Now if someone wishes to prepay, by all means, they should feel free to do so. I would just rather not.......not because I expect any difference in service but just because i prefer to hold onto my hard earned cash for as long as I can.

The Pride of America has always been known to not be up to the normal cruise standards as far as service goes. In my opinion, it is due to the crew being comprised mostly of Americans. Norwegian in general does not require pre-paying of the service charge and I have never pre-payed my DSC with them (1 cruise taken, two booked).