LAX to Cruise port

wjsks

Can any of you knowledgeable people out there advise me of the best/cheapest way to get from LAX to the cruise port Golden Princess uses and the name of that cruise port? Thanks.

Bill

I've used Super Shuttle a couple of times, unless you book a private vehicle there isn't always a shuttle around the airport so it can be 15-20 mins to get one and as long as you are not in a huge group you should be able to squeeze into one, so just factor that into your travel plans. You can prepay online and there are discount coupons for 10% floating around the internet. Head outside of terminal and look for the guys in the blue polo's. Pretty painless.

I've used Super Shuttle a couple of times, unless you book a private vehicle there isn't always a shuttle around the airport so it can be 15-20 mins to get one and as long as you are not in a huge group you should be able to squeeze into one, so just factor that into your travel plans. You can prepay online and there are discount coupons for 10% floating around the internet. Head outside of terminal and look for the guys in the blue polo's. Pretty painless.

Super shuttle is hit or miss. The drivers are individual contractors, so they don't answer directly to the company. If there is a cooperative driver around, he might take you to San Pedro, but he also might circle the airport 20 times trying to get an additional fare before he gets around to it. (Has happened to me more than once.) We gave up on them after waiting for 2 hours last time. We are now using the private car service. More expensive, yes, but at least you have a chance of getting where you're going in a reasonable time frame.

We took the Super Shuttle from LAX to the World Cruise Center in San Pedro on our May 3rd Crown Princess cruise. We only waited 10 minutes once we got our bags and walked outdoors. Only took about 25 to 30 minutes to get to the Crown Plaza by the cruise terminal, that included dropping off another passenger before we got there. We prepaid on line about a month earlier. Cost was $17.00 per person one way (senior Discount). I plan on using them again in the future.

The Port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro an the cruise line area is called "the World Cruise Center."

Hopefully you have an arrival into LA with no delays. The freeway between the airport and the port is usually bumper to bumper much of the day. Even on many weekends. One reason we local Angelenos recommend flying in the day before and staying by the port.

I have used Super Shuttle several times and always get good service. Never have to wait more than ten minutes for a van. Occasionally, they will have pick-ups and/or drop offs at other locations, but that is not a problem for me.

Going back from the ship to LAX, they have several vans at San Pedro and as soon as a van fills up, they go direct to LAX. Excellent service for 17 dollars.

The Port of Los Angeles is in San Pedro an the cruise line area is called "the World Cruise Center."

Hopefully you have an arrival into LA with no delays. The freeway between the airport and the port is usually bumper to bumper much of the day. Even on many weekends. One reason we local Angelenos recommend flying in the day before and staying by the port.

I agree. Fly in the day before if at all possible. Even living in the Boston area where traffic can be really bad, I didn't believe the LA traffic until one time when I was caught taking two hours to go ten miles on the 405 thanks to two accidents and CalTrans deciding to do some road work. Now, living in SoCal, I plan ahead and if my GPS says 25 minutes with traffic, I know it'll take 45-60 minutes.

But if you're pressed for time, either take a taxi or arrange for a private van from one of the shuttle services so you aren't sharing and have to wait for the van to fill up.

We rented a car to get to the port because we needed it for our pre-cruise stay, but after we opted for Princess transfer. Did a lot of research, but after reading the very hit or miss reviews of GoSedan and not knowing how many stops Super Shuttle would make on the way, we decided to play it safe and go with Princess. It was easy peasy! Tons of reps directing pax to a coach going to a particular airline, which eliminates the bus from having to stop at every airline. It was a straight shot to the airport. Would do it again for sure.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Easiest and cheapest not the same.

Yup, Keith...not the same...

"Cheapest" would be WALKING!!

Only 20 miles ...probably take you several hours...but absolutely FREE!

Next "cheapest" is public transportation--which, in LA, is horrible...and near impossible schlepping baggage...You'd have to make a couple of transfers and maybe walk some between bus/train stations--often in bad parts of town...but, again, it's cheap...and it would only take maybe 2-2.5 hours...

"Easiest" would be to have a limo with "meet & greet" meet you at the baggage claim and bring you directly there...

A shared shuttle is the compromise between "cheapest" and "easiest"... The cost is relatively low...but the negatives are that they will often wait to pick up a full load before leaving the airport and can make multiple stops to drop people off as well...Still, though, pretty efficient for getting from LAX to the pier and the pier to LAX since there are usually high numbers doing the same when a ship is in port...Though not always necessary, many prefer to pre-reserve...There are several companies doing this, but Super Shuttle is the largest--with the most vans, followed by PrimeTime...

Private towncar services, dedicated shuttles and limos are very easy...but usually cost quite a bit more...If you are willing to spend more and want the convenience of your own car and driver and of not having to wait to fill a van or possibly stop to drop off others, this is it.

Taxis are expensive--and their fares are often unpredictable...

BTW, with Princess, it's about a 98% certainty that the port is the World Cruise Center in San Pedro...But be sure to make absolute certainty...For various reasons, Princess always has a few cruises a year that use the terminal in Long Beach--which is overwhelmingly predominantly Carnival only...But, with even a very small chance, be sure to check...Often, when this is the case with Princess, the itinerary will clearly (or not so clearly) state "Los Angeles (Long Beach)"...

I, too, would urge you, if flying in from any great distance, to fly in the day ahead...Take a shuttle from the airport directly to a hotel in San Pedro (I stronghly recommend either the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree)...Get a nice dinner in a local San Pedro restaurant, a good night's sleep...and know that, in the morning, all you will have is a very quick, very short free hotel shuttle ride to the pier...

Good luck...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We have used both Primetime and Supershuttle.

We were not impressed with Primetime.

Waited outside LAX bag claim last month around 11:00am for the shuttle to San Pedro. After 40 minutes the attendant continued to tell us that one was on the way after dozens had past us. I realize that the other ones were going everywhere but San Pedro but it was pretty bad. A supervisor in an electric cart eventually came over and waited with us but as we started to walk over to Supershuttle, Prime Time finally came.

Over 1 hour and wasn't particularly busy. :(

Easiest and cheapest not the same.

Lower price if one or two people would be a shuttle like super shuttle.

For more money a private car and one that we use is http://www.execucar.com

Keith

I second this option. They can take up to 4 people. We just used them this past April and the cost was $60.00, including the tip. I think that Princess was charging $27.00 per person for their bus service.

We also used Super Shuttle, and had a private van for nine of us that met on the roll call. That worked out well too.

Tons of reps directing pax to a coach going to a particular airline, which eliminates the bus from having to stop at every airline. It was a straight shot to the airport.
That's going from the cruise port to LAX. The OP is asking about going from LAX to the cruise port which is a very different experience when taking the Princess transfer. It's not unusual to wait for an hour in the bus as it goes from terminal to terminal picking up passengers. I would never take the Princess transfer from LAX to the cruise port for this reason.

That's going from the cruise port to LAX. The OP is asking about going from LAX to the cruise port which is a very different experience when taking the Princess transfer. It's not unusual to wait for an hour in the bus as it goes from terminal to terminal picking up passengers. I would never take the Princess transfer from LAX to the cruise port for this reason.

Ugh! Ok, thank you for correcting that, Pam. Too bad their transfers TO the ship don't run as smoothly as the ones from the ship!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I second this option. They can take up to 4 people. We just used them this past April and the cost was $60.00, including the tip. I think that Princess was charging $27.00 per person for their bus service.

We also used Super Shuttle, and had a private van for nine of us that met on the roll call. That worked out well too.

I assume you used Execucar Express (you call them when you get your luggage and they meet you outside). Not their meet and greet when someone meets you inside. We used Express last April as well and it worked out fine. We were on a late flight and didn't want to mess with a shared shuttle. Just wanted to get to the hotel in San Pedro.

I assume you used Execucar Express (you call them when you get your luggage and they meet you outside). Not their meet and greet when someone meets you inside. We used Express last April as well and it worked out fine. We were on a late flight and didn't want to mess with a shared shuttle. Just wanted to get to the hotel in San Pedro.

Yes, that's the one. :)

Can any of you knowledgeable people out there advise me of the best/cheapest way to get from LAX to the cruise port Golden Princess uses and the name of that cruise port? Thanks.

Bill

I just boarded the Coral Princess a cpl weeks ago.......I signed up for the Princess transfer......it was my FIRST cruise from L.A. BEST $29 I SPENT Not only was the bus, clean, new and FILLED with happy Princess cruisers. The driver was informative and funny. Saving $10 bucks and piling into some packed van is not the way I like to start a cruise...... The conversation on the bus was nice and the ride was smooth......Princess Shuttle is the way id do it. Save $10 bucks someplace else :D

We just did this transfer from LAX to San Pedro a week ago Friday. We looked at PrimeTime shuttle but the reviews on Tripadvisor were horrible. We stopped and asked the Princess Rep if we could ride one of their buses (at the suggestion of Princess when I called to see if it was too late to book a transfer - it was) and just charge our on-board account and he said no problem. The problem then came when he said the bus should be here in about 20 minutes and they were taking us to a local hotel to wait until boarding time. Granted, we were early but this didn't sound like fun so we just took a taxi. Yes, it was about $60 but a straight smooth shot. We met a lot of interesting people waiting with us in the port terminal and it turned out to be a smooth start to a great cruise up to Vancouver.