Mitsugirlys graduation getaway cruise

mitsugirly

I'm glad you finally got to do the ropes course, broken toe and all! It really looks like fun!

Hope you are able to get some compensation from Southwest for the damaged suitcase.

I can't wait to hear about your day in St Maarten. I have only been there once and my excursion took up most of my day so I didn't get to see much of the island. A lot of cruises stop there, so I am sure I will get to everything I want to do eventually.

Kim, first a huge congratulations on finishing nursing school. No doubts that you'll do well on your exam!

Second, I so feel for you. Some vacations are just 'off', and it seems once the train derails, it's hard to get it back on track.

I broke my left pinkie toe on day two of our eight night Carnival Miracle cruise, then a few days later, my glasses snapped in half at the bridge! Luckily, I had a back up pair, but they were an old script and not quite right. Still had a good time, but it irked me and did effect our trip some.

Enjoying your review. Thank you for all your hard work on it.

Your pictures are lovely and give a real feel of the ship. This seems like an amusement park/summer camp on water to me though. Great for those looking for that but I would love NCL to make another SUN. It's kind of the bungalow of cruiseships. It's got everything you need without expending too much energy getting there. There are way more baby boomers with he time to sail multiple times in the year though the new ships seem to be really catering to families with children and teens.

Edited by Karysa

I did sail on the Spirit in January. I loved it so much, I will return in November.

I did a "live from" during the cruise, and have attached the link:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974054

I plan to do another when I sail again. This time, I am going to learn to embed photos. It is my goal! (Though, I take terrible pictures... really really bad AND I cut off people's heads.)

I have subscribed to your thread, so I will continue to read as you post!

Thank you!

Tracie-Lynn

I spent the evening last night before going to bed to read your "live from" review. I love your sense of humor and to say that I have actually heard from a real live bing-bong cc cruisers....priceless. :D

The POA is expensive, actually about 3 x's as expensive as a Caribbean cruise. With it being a U.S. flagged ship that never leaves the islands it is understandable. Plus all the Coast Guard certifications the crew has to have pushes the price up also. Even though the service isn't what we expect from the international crew it was a great way to see the islands. I didn't think of it as a cruise so much as transportation to the islands, a floating hotel and some food :D. With no sea days it's hard to be a cruise to me. The ship was beautiful and it was the best vacation I've had!

I've finally caught up on your review and can't help shake my head at all the problems you have encountered! :eek::eek: I have my popcorn and I'm ready for the rest! )I broke my toe twice in the 4 weeks leading up to our Epic cruise last December...I feel your pain)

I have never checked into the Hawaii cruises. So are you saying they go to an island and stay there the entire time? (Something like in Bermuda?)

You broke your toe twice? Wow. I really feel like I shouldn't be complaining now. :D

We are enjoying your review. Thanks for taking the time to share all the info and pictures.

Re: the damaged luggage claim with Southwest, definitely follow up with them. I think they will make it right. And you may as well include the cost of the items lost too.

We are booked on the Sun 2 years from now and as far as I can tell the ship will not have any of the new improvements until April/May of 2016. We haven't been on any of the mega ships but are a bit concerned that the Sun will be too small and dated for a 2 week cruise. I'm looking forward to your review later this year!

Thank you for the comments.

When you say the Sun will not have any improvements until 2016, what improvements are you speaking of? (Or are we just talking about the iConceirge service?). I will definitely have to do my research prior to going on this cruise to see what this ship has to offer. I'm not getting stuck again in the dark. Although I know this ship is a much older and smaller ship, so I'm assuming that it will be a very relaxing cruise and a cruise with shows that we are use to and won't miss anything.

Oh no, another mishap. Did you have to wait until you got home to fix your tooth? Looking forward to more of your review. You and your daughter look like sisters!

I haven't made an appointment yet to get it fixed. I'm going to call some time next week hopefully. I put off the dentist as much as I can. Yuck.

I'm glad you finally got to do the ropes course, broken toe and all! It really looks like fun!

Hope you are able to get some compensation from Southwest for the damaged suitcase.

I can't wait to hear about your day in St Maarten. I have only been there once and my excursion took up most of my day so I didn't get to see much of the island. A lot of cruises stop there, so I am sure I will get to everything I want to do eventually.

Thanks. I had a blast on the ropes course (more to come).

St Maarten was a nice day. I wish we could have spent more time there. I had only been there once before (went to Orient and Maho), so I was happy that we were returning again. However, I was thinking that I heard rumors that they were eventually taking St Maarten off the itineraries soon. I don't know if there's any truth to it. I just remember reading about it on here somewhere.

Kim, first a huge congratulations on finishing nursing school. No doubts that you'll do well on your exam!

Second, I so feel for you. Some vacations are just 'off', and it seems once the train derails, it's hard to get it back on track.

I broke my left pinkie toe on day two of our eight night Carnival Miracle cruise, then a few days later, my glasses snapped in half at the bridge! Luckily, I had a back up pair, but they were an old script and not quite right. Still had a good time, but it irked me and did effect our trip some.

Enjoying your review. Thank you for all your hard work on it.

Thanks for the congrats. Yep, this vacation was just totally "off". I tried over and over to "re-coop" during the cruise and then something else would happen. Honestly, this is probably the only cruise that I came back from that I almost feel like I didn't have a cruise. It's hard to explain and a weird feeling. I usually come back raving about the time we had, talking about things we did and daydreaming about it. I don't think either of us have mentioned it since (other than Sakari, she just said this morning while getting ready for school "I miss the ship".) :p

What is with all the broken toes on here? I'm going to start to pack more closed toe shoes for cruising. :D

Your pictures are lovely and give a real feel of the ship. This seems like an amusement park/summer camp on water to me though. Great for those looking for that but I would love NCL to make another SUN. It's kind of the bungalow of cruiseships. It's got everything you need without expending too much energy getting there. There are way more baby boomers with he time to sail multiple times in the year though the new ships seem to be really catering to families with children and teens.

You are right with the new ships. But at least when you are inside the ship, it still feels like a cruise ship (luxury cruise ship that is :D).

I'm so glad you said what you did about the Sun. That's exactly what I'm looking to hear. It's just what I need this next time around.

It's got everything you need without expending too much energy getting there. Absolutely giggled at this statement. It sounds wonderful. I was so nervous when I picked the Sun over another ship. Just knowing how much we loved the Epic and since sailing the smaller ships, I have just been dreaming about another big ship cruise. Now I'm dreaming about a small ship cruise. :p I seem to hear nothing but good things about the Sun. I'm really looking forward to this cruise.

You are right with the new ships. But at least when you are inside the ship, it still feels like a cruise ship (luxury cruise ship that is :D).

I'm so glad you said what you did about the Sun. That's exactly what I'm looking to hear. It's just what I need this next time around.

It's got everything you need without expending too much energy getting there. Absolutely giggled at this statement. It sounds wonderful. I was so nervous when I picked the Sun over another ship. Just knowing how much we loved the Epic and since sailing the smaller ships, I have just been dreaming about another big ship cruise. Now I'm dreaming about a small ship cruise. :p I seem to hear nothing but good things about the Sun. I'm really looking forward to this cruise.

I sailed it twice last year for a total of 21 days and the only thing that I would suggest to you is to bring a blow dryer. In the inside and balcony cabins that we had the blow dryers were those old style dryers. Took forever to dry long hair. The bathroom was the small side as well but the cabins themselves were larger.

The mega ships are great for those looking for excitement but the SUN is great for those wanting to enjoy being out on the sea and just relax. I think that it's time to clone it because the last 3 ships have been mega ships.

Sorry to take you off of your task. Now back to your awesome review.:D

Yep, this vacation was just totally "off". I tried over and over to "re-coop" during the cruise and then something else would happen. Honestly, this is probably the only cruise that I came back from that I almost feel like I didn't have a cruise. It's hard to explain and a weird feeling. I usually come back raving about the time we had, talking about things we did and daydreaming about it. I don't think either of us have mentioned it since (other than Sakari, she just said this morning while getting ready for school "I miss the ship".) :p

What is with all the broken toes on here? I'm going to start to pack more closed toe shoes for cruising. :D

Kim once the initial let down feeling leaves, so far what you have told us, are actually memories in the making. Although missing your flight, I'd bet, was totally stressful at the time. When you tell this story later in years it will sound a little like "trains, planes and automobiles". Or your stories will start like "did I ever tell you about the time that I did a rope course with a broken toe?".

As much as we love a wonderful well played out vacation, after a while that particular vacation feeling goes away and all those start to blend together.

Carry on. I'm all ears (or in this case eyes) ;)

When you say the Sun will not have any improvements until 2016, what improvements are you speaking of? (Or are we just talking about the iConceirge service?)

The Sun isn't scheduled for dry dock until sometime in 2016. On the Jewel, the Blue Lagoon was replaced with O'Sheehan's, Moderno was moved to near Cagney's, Star Bar was renamed Sugarcane Mojito Bar and the photo gallery was computerized. I don't know if iConcierge has been added to the Jewel yet. Not sure what changes will be made to the Sun re: O'Sheehan's or the forward observation lounge, but I sure hope the new food & beverage menus, new shows, computerized photo gallery, digital touch screens and iConcierge will be added before 2016!

Edited by herdingdogmom

I spent the evening last night before going to bed to read your "live from" review. I love your sense of humor and to say that I have actually heard from a real live bing-bong cc cruisers....priceless. :D

I have never checked into the Hawaii cruises. So are you saying they go to an island and stay there the entire time? (Something like in Bermuda?)

You broke your toe twice? Wow. I really feel like I shouldn't be complaining now. :D

The POA is kind of like the Bermuda cruises but without any sea days. It leaves from Oahu/Port of Honolulu on Saturday evening and arrives in Maui Sunday morning. Docks in Maui until Monday evening. Sails overnight to the Big Island - Hilo on Tuesday. Sails over night to the Big Island - Kona on Wednesday. Sails overnight to Kauai, docks there Thursday and leaves Friday afternoon at 2pm. Sails overnight back to Honolulu Saturday morning. An island hopper with 2 overnights docked in port.

Yes broke it twice. Once I jammed it on the corner of the wall in my bathroom and about 2 weeks later a Co worker stepped on it and broke it again. Should have had it pinned have a free floating fragment(I work for orthopaedics surgepns) but there was no way I was going to have surgery before a cruise! So now I have a deformed toe that hurts most of the time. :cool: My first broken bone in my life. Who knew toes could hurt that bad?:confused: lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Kim, it appears you've sailed on Getaway, Breakaway, and Epic? From the standpoint of my 10 yr old son, do you feel the Getaway is worth more money than Epic? I am currently booked on Epic as it was a better deal, but I've considered the Getaway as I was really blown away by the pictures and when I saw it next to us in port recently.

The cost to change would be about $400 total, or I could do downgrade from a balcony on Epic to ocean view on Getaway and my price would be about the same. Your thoughts specifically in regards to a boy?

If you have other thoughts about why I might spend $400 more to sail on Getaway, I appreciate it.

Thanks

It does appear NCL is moving most sailings from ST Maarten to Tortola next year. I really love Tortola, but will have to sail other lines when St Maarten is a priority. Side note - my next cruise is out of San Juan but we are starting with ST Maarten for 4 days pre cruise so you know we love that island!

You and your daughter look like sisters!

That's what I was thinking! In the embarkation photo at first I could not pick you and your husband out, when you wear your hair down you look like your 25 yr old daughter, and when your husband has a baseball cap on he looks like your 19 yr old son:)

That's what I was thinking! In the embarkation photo at first I could not pick you and your husband out, when you wear your hair down you look like your 25 yr old daughter, and when your husband has a baseball cap on he looks like your 19 yr old son:)

That's exactly what I was thinking, She looked as young as the 2 young ladies

Great review. Thanks for taking the time. Question for you:

Did Kendra's cabin make noises like yours? I am a light sleeper and was just curious if all the cabins are like this as I have seen it mentioned in some of the other reviews.

I sailed it twice last year for a total of 21 days and the only thing that I would suggest to you is to bring a blow dryer. In the inside and balcony cabins that we had the blow dryers were those old style dryers. Took forever to dry long hair. The bathroom was the small side as well but the cabins themselves were larger.

The mega ships are great for those looking for excitement but the SUN is great for those wanting to enjoy being out on the sea and just relax. I think that it's time to clone it because the last 3 ships have been mega ships.

Sorry to take you off of your task. Now back to your awesome review.:D

When you say "old school" hair dryers, are you talking about the ones like the Spirit has? (That almost looks like a vacuum cleaner handle, but it goes in reverse?) I will definitely need to do my research before going. Although, the more I cruise I find that the more I don't want to be bothered with getting ready and primped up anymore. I'm lucky to have my hair and makeup done maybe 2-3 times out of the entire cruise. It's just too much work. :D

Kim once the initial let down feeling leaves, so far what you have told us, are actually memories in the making. Although missing your flight, I'd bet, was totally stressful at the time. When you tell this story later in years it will sound a little like "trains, planes and automobiles". Or your stories will start like "did I ever tell you about the time that I did a rope course with a broken toe?".

As much as we love a wonderful well played out vacation, after a while that particular vacation feeling goes away and all those start to blend together.

Carry on. I'm all ears (or in this case eyes) ;)

Yea, you are so right. I'm not really down about it, it just wasn't what I'm use to. I'm ok with it though. We still had a wonderful time, just not enough time. :p It does make me question if the new mega ships are really right for me (although after sailing the Epic, I thought it's the ONLY thing for me). :D

The Sun isn't scheduled for dry dock until sometime in 2016. On the Jewel, the Blue Lagoon was replaced with O'Sheehan's, Moderno was moved to near Cagney's, Star Bar was renamed Sugarcane Mojito Bar and the photo gallery was computerized. I don't know if iConcierge has been added to the Jewel yet. Not sure what changes will be made to the Sun re: O'Sheehan's or the forward observation lounge, but I sure hope the new food & beverage menus, new shows, computerized photo gallery, digital touch screens and iConcierge will be added before 2016!

Well, I guess none of it will do me any good since I'll be on her in another 5 months and 9 days. :D Oh well...I guess it'll be just like all my previous cruises, which I'm fine with that. :p

The POA is kind of like the Bermuda cruises but without any sea days. It leaves from Oahu/Port of Honolulu on Saturday evening and arrives in Maui Sunday morning. Docks in Maui until Monday evening. Sails overnight to the Big Island - Hilo on Tuesday. Sails over night to the Big Island - Kona on Wednesday. Sails overnight to Kauai, docks there Thursday and leaves Friday afternoon at 2pm. Sails overnight back to Honolulu Saturday morning. An island hopper with 2 overnights docked in port.

Yes broke it twice. Once I jammed it on the corner of the wall in my bathroom and about 2 weeks later a Co worker stepped on it and broke it again. Should have had it pinned have a free floating fragment(I work for orthopaedics surgepns) but there was no way I was going to have surgery before a cruise! So now I have a deformed toe that hurts most of the time. :cool: My first broken bone in my life. Who knew toes could hurt that bad?:confused: lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Oh ok. So it does go from island to island. When you said that, I thought you meant it went somewhere and stayed there the entire time like they do in Bermuda. :p Maybe some day.

I am so flattered that you took the time to read it. It is a real source of shame in my home that I am a Bing Bong person. Sad...

Kim, it appears you've sailed on Getaway, Breakaway, and Epic? From the standpoint of my 10 yr old son, do you feel the Getaway is worth more money than Epic? I am currently booked on Epic as it was a better deal, but I've considered the Getaway as I was really blown away by the pictures and when I saw it next to us in port recently.

The cost to change would be about $400 total, or I could do downgrade from a balcony on Epic to ocean view on Getaway and my price would be about the same. Your thoughts specifically in regards to a boy?

If you have other thoughts about why I might spend $400 more to sail on Getaway, I appreciate it.

Thanks

No, I have not been on the Breakaway yet. My plans are to go to Bermuda next year, but now I'm not even sure if I will do the Breakaway or pick the Dawn instead.

I honestly think no matter what, your 10 year old son will have a blast. No, the Epic doesn't have the ropes course or ziplining, but it does have the water park and water slides. It's still an amazing ship. I don't think he (or you) would be disappointed with what it has to offer. The Blue Man group is amazing and he will probably love that show.

It's just me, but I would stay with the Epic for $400 less and a balcony. Maybe later you will be able to try the Getaway. I only did because of the free sale and free upgrades they were having. If it wasn't for that, I would have never paid the prices they ask for the new ships. ;)

It does appear NCL is moving most sailings from ST Maarten to Tortola next year. I really love Tortola, but will have to sail other lines when St Maarten is a priority. Side note - my next cruise is out of San Juan but we are starting with ST Maarten for 4 days pre cruise so you know we love that island!

Although I have only been to St Maarten twice now, I can honesty say that I really don't have too much of a desire to go back. I'm a "water" person and love the beach and snorkeling. There really isn't anymore I wish to go back and see. I will be happy to visit a new port, especially one that I have never went to before. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking, She looked as young as the 2 young ladies

Aww shucks. You guys are making me blush. :o Can I be your bestest friend? :D

Great review. Thanks for taking the time. Question for you:

Did Kendra's cabin make noises like yours? I am a light sleeper and was just curious if all the cabins are like this as I have seen it mentioned in some of the other reviews.

I didn't think to ask her, so I just now ask her online and her reply "IDK" so either it didn't or she just didn't pay attention because there were too many people in her room making tons of noise. I'll ask my son and Courtney when they get home tonight.

I am so flattered that you took the time to read it. It is a real source of shame in my home that I am a Bing Bong person. Sad...

It was my pleasure to read it. It kept me laughing. Now all you need to do is add some pictures next time around. :D