7 Day Crown (Dec14) vs 10 Day Grand (Nov14)

trekie69

Hello folks, this is for those that have more Princess experience than I. We've only sailed on the Golden Princess and had a great deal of fun.

We're currently booked on a Dec 2014 7 day Crown Princess to Mexico. We've started looking at the 10 day sailing for the Grand Princess in Nov 2014 also for Mexico.

Does anyone who've sailed both of these ships have any strong feelings one way or the other? Price per day is comparable so that's not really part of the equation...and yes, I know - 10 days cruising beats 7 days all the time...:D but still?

I've read various reviews of both ships and they both seem to have strong and weak points...

Thank you for your input!

Hello folks, this is for those that have more Princess experience than I. We've only sailed on the Golden Princess and had a great deal of fun.

We're currently booked on a Dec 2014 7 day Crown Princess to Mexico. We've started looking at the 10 day sailing for the Grand Princess in Nov 2014 also for Mexico.

Does anyone who've sailed both of these ships have any strong feelings one way or the other? Price per day is comparable so that's not really part of the equation...and yes, I know - 10 days cruising beats 7 days all the time...:D but still?

I've read various reviews of both ships and they both seem to have strong and weak points...

I do not know the Crown but the Grand does not have a central stairway and this makes for a long wait if you nare in this part of the ship. They also have lost the Skywalkers but we did not miss it on our 49 day cruise Everything else I would think would be comparable being Princess

We were on the Crown's sister, the Emerald last June in the Baltics and the Grand this March on a Mexico cruise from San Francisco. We liked the additional ports of a Loreto and La Paz on the 10 day cruise on the Grand. The Grand has Alfredo's and a better International Cafe layout but a small Vines with no complimentary sushi or tapas while the Crown has gelato at the IC. Sabatini's is high on the Sun deck (16) on the Crown and the Adagio Bar is right next door. We like the smaller Wheelhouse bar next to Sabatini's on the Grand while others like the larger location on the Crown. We also prefer the layout of the Vista Lounge on the Grand compared to Club Fusion on the Crown. There is no Thermal Suite on the Grand and the saunas and steam rooms are outside by the lap pool rather than in the Spa changing rooms. The Crown does have 500 more passengers but we didn't notice a significant issue on the Emerald last year. There have been reports of water leakage problems aft on upper decks of the Grand. We were not in that area on our cruise so I can't confirm. There are minor differences, but the real decision is 7 days :( or 10 days :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'd pick the 10 day cruise for the obvious reason, but also because I personally want to do the Sea of Cortez cruise. I've been on the Crown a couple times. I haven't been on the Grand since it went through the major renovation. I was on the Star in December and that's a similar size to the Grand. The Crown is newer and has more amenities, but it's also larger and carries a lot more people. In my experience it does seem more crowded especially on cool days which you will have when sailing by the Baja. The Grand is older and has issues because of that. I'd still pick the 10 day because of itinerary and days.

We been on both Crown and Grand. Crown is one of our favorite ships ... but we also enjoyed our cruise on Grand very much.

With your choice we'd pick Grand because it's 10 days and sails in November rather than December.

Happily, you can't make a bad decision with either one. :)

LuLu

Why the thumbs down?