I-Concierge Question - kind of technical

I plan on using the I-Concierge app on our Getaway cruise two weeks from now. Specifically I am interested in using the $8 texting feature between each of us. My wife and I will have it installed on our I-Phones but I assume my son can bring and install it on an I-Touch (not an I-phone) right? It sounds like you only need Wi-Fi not necessarily a phone? Thanks.

Yes, the app does work on an iPod Touch. However, only the more recent versions of the iPod Touch. Definitely not the first generation. You will have to check the app's description for the models that it's compatible with. So, it depends.

My wife and I will have it installed on our I-Phones but I assume my son can bring and install it on an I-Touch (not an I-phone) right? It sounds like you only need Wi-Fi not necessarily a phone? Thanks.

I recommend installing the app prior to boarding the ship. We were on the Breakaway and a few people had trouble getting the app installed and working. We installed on all our devices prior and had no problems setting them up once a aboard.

That would be $24 to text, only on the ship, or in close range of the ships wifi.

The app offers both text AND talk for $8/device. We found it pretty handy.

And make sure that when you are installing the app, that you ACCEPT the recommendation to turn notifications on. As this is an app, and not using the device's phone radio, the text notifications and the phone "ringing" are all generated by app-based notifications.

If you installed and did not turn notifications on, you can always go into Settings > Notification Center > iConcierge to change it.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the $7.95 per device for the entire cruise - or per day? If you are not going to use the texting/ talk feature, is it useful for finding out what's going on - or what restaurants or shows are available?

Is the $7.95 per device for the entire cruise - or per day? If you are not going to use the texting/ talk feature, is it useful for finding out what's going on - or what restaurants or shows are available?

"Messenger/Phone Features with Other Guests during your cruise (Nominal One-Time Fee During Cruise)."

More info here

We absolutely loved this app for $7.95 for the entire week (pp). You can not only text, but call phone to phone, call the room phones or any phones throughout the ship, make reservations, see menu's, locate where things are at. It was just wonderful.

I would recommend your son downloading it prior to getting on the ship AND making sure that you sign up for it and activate it before pulling out of the port. Once you're away from there, you can't download it or sign up. :)

It's just a one time charge of $7.95 per device. It was totally worth it to us. We gave our DS11 priveleges to check himself in and out of Splash Academy, but only on the condition that he message us prior to leaving. We constantly updated each other on where we were and what we were doing. It allowed my son freedom that we otherwise would not have granted him, making it a much more enjoyable trip for him. "Can I check myself out to go do the ropes course?" That type of thing.

We absolutely loved this app for $7.95 for the entire week (pp). You can not only text, but call phone to phone, call the room phones or any phones throughout the ship, make reservations, see menu's, locate where things are at. It was just wonderful.

I would recommend your son downloading it prior to getting on the ship AND making sure that you sign up for it and activate it before pulling out of the port. Once you're away from there, you can't download it or sign up. :)

Mitsugirly: I want to say thank you for introducing me to this app. I didn't know anything about it until I read your Getaway review. I am glad we will have it for our cruise on the EPIC this coming week.

I plan on using it this time also. My question is, what settings do I need to disable to make sure I'm not using phone/data through AT&T? Knowing my luck, I'll be all excited to use iConcierge but unwittingly be racking up thousands in roaming charges. It hasn't happened YET (I've used my phone for the camera/iPod function) but I had it on airplane mode and randomly screwed around in settings to turn off anything that looked like it might cause charges.

Mitsugirly: I want to say thank you for introducing me to this app. I didn't know anything about it until I read your Getaway review. I am glad we will have it for our cruise on the EPIC this coming week.

You're very welcome. It's a wonderful app and I hope they roll it out on all the ships because I would definitely use it.

I plan on using it this time also. My question is, what settings do I need to disable to make sure I'm not using phone/data through AT&T? Knowing my luck, I'll be all excited to use iConcierge but unwittingly be racking up thousands in roaming charges. It hasn't happened YET (I've used my phone for the camera/iPod function) but I had it on airplane mode and randomly screwed around in settings to turn off anything that looked like it might cause charges.

You have to put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to the wifi on the ship. Nothing happens until you accept the charge (it will pop up saying the $7.95 charge). If you want to make any calls or text to the "outside" world, it will pop up and tell you the charges and you have to accept it before it will work. So you will know if you will get any charges and you have to accept it. :)

Ohh yay, good! So I'll be on airplane mode anyway? That is wonderful! Thank you!

You're very welcome. It's a wonderful app and I hope they roll it out on all the ships because I would definitely use it.

You have to put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to the wifi on the ship. Nothing happens until you accept the charge (it will pop up saying the $7.95 charge). If you want to make any calls or text to the "outside" world, it will pop up and tell you the charges and you have to accept it before it will work. So you will know if you will get any charges and you have to accept it. :)

#1 suggestion is to turn DATA ROAMING OFF. You can do that right now. No need to wait until you are on the cruise. With that done, you will never be on the internet unless you do something specific to allow it. No data surprises.

#2 You will know if you are making a phone call or sending a text. Unless it says your carrier name at the top of the screen - you will pay extra, but at least you will know that you are making a call or sending a text. If it has the name of another carrier, you will be paying extra.

Other than that, you will not be surprised.

#1 suggestion is to turn DATA ROAMING OFF. You can do that right now. No need to wait until you are on the cruise. With that done, you will never be on the internet unless you do something specific to allow it. No data surprises.

#2 You will know if you are making a phone call or sending a text. Unless it says your carrier name at the top of the screen - you will pay extra, but at least you will know that you are making a call or sending a text. If it has the name of another carrier, you will be paying extra.

Other than that, you will not be surprised.

Found this on the NCL website -- may also help

iCONCIERGE_022114.pdf

I'm so excited to finally get to use this. I've been sailing older ships the last few years that weren't supporting iConcierge. It's been sitting downloaded on my phone for awhile, just waiting for me to use it.

I am taking an I phone and an iPad.

Is it one $8.00 fee to text from one to another?

Can I also send e mails from one to another?

My husband doesn't have a smart phone, so I will give him my I pad for communicating with me....hopefully that will work.

The app offers both text AND talk for $8/device. We found it pretty handy.

And make sure that when you are installing the app, that you ACCEPT the recommendation to turn notifications on. As this is an app, and not using the device's phone radio, the text notifications and the phone "ringing" are all generated by app-based notifications.

If you installed and did not turn notifications on, you can always go into Settings > Notification Center > iConcierge to change it.

Grobma, I installed and I don't think I turned the notificaitons on, but I have an android phone (htc). Do you know how to turn it on for an android? I tried to uninstall and reinstall, but it didn't ask me the question about notifications like apps usually do (and like it did when I just installed it on my husband's iPhone). I tried to go to Settings within the iConcierge app, but it didn't give me a Notification Center options, so I am assuming you mean Settings on the iPhone. Or maybe I can't make it work unless I am on the ship?